Glamorgan v Hampshire, Cardiff, 4th day April 22, 2012

Ervine leads Hants to dramatic win

Hampshire 156 (Waters 7-53) and 204 for 8 (Ervine 75) beat Glamorgan 103 for 9 dec. (Balcombe 5-33) and 256 (Wright 104) by two wickets

Sean Ervine led a dramatic Hampshire chase as they beat Glamorgan with a ball to spare in Cardiff. His 75 got his side close to the winning line before Hamza Riazuddin struck the winning runs to give Hampshire a dramatic victory in a rain-affected match.

Riazuddin held his nerve as the match came down to the visitors needing two runs from the final two balls. But much of the credit for the Hampshire win had to go to Ervine, who navigated his side into a winning position with a 92-ball innings before perishing 13 balls from the end.

Hampshire won by two wickets to take 19 points from the match to Glamorgan's three. It was Glamorgan's third straight defeat to leave them firmly rooted to the bottom of the Division Two table.

Play did not resume on the fourth day until 4.15pm because of persistent showers throughout the morning and afternoon sessions. But eventually the rain relented enough to allow for 28 overs to be bowled with Hampshire resuming on 112 for 4 in pursuit of 204.

With the ninth ball after the resumption Huw Waters had Michael Bates leg before to leave Hampshire 112 for 5. But just as new batsman Michael Carberry, batting with a runner for a groin injury, arrived on the outfield he had to come off as more rain arrived at the ground.

After another loss of 10 overs play resumed again at 5pm with Hampshire needing 92 from 16.3 overs. Despite being injured Carberry cut Jim Allenby for two fours before he was bowled behind his legs by Waters.

But Hampshire still had hope of knocking off the runs while Ervine, who reached his half-century from 67 balls with seven fours, was still there along with Chris Wood, who was not shy of a few lusty blows. Wood's third four ensured Hampshire needed 40 from the remaining eight overs.

He was then brilliantly caught by Will Bragg low down on the long-leg boundary off Wagg to leave Hampshire still needing 31 from 5.2 overs. But the pressure was taken off the visitors' chase when Ervine struck Moises Henriques for three successive fours which included a fortuitous Chinese cut. It left Hampshire needing 16 off the final four overs.

There was more drama as wicketkeeper Mark Wallace took a steepling catch to remove dangerman Ervine. But Riazuddin and Danny Briggs held their nerve to knock off the remaining 14 runs from 13 balls.