County news

Trescothick out for at least six weeks

George Dobell

April 23, 2012

Marcus Trescothick was the first batsman to reach 1000 Championship runs, Warwickshire v Somerset, County Championship, Division One, Edgbaston, June 20, 2011
Marcus Trescothick saw a specialist in Exeter who recommended surgery on his ankle © PA Photos

Marcus Trescothick, the Somerset captain, will miss "a minimum of six or seven weeks" cricket as a result of the injury he sustained in the County Championship match against Nottinghamshire.

Trescothick, 36, will undergo surgery to repair tendon damage in his right ankle. He fell to the floor in pain when running after a ball in the field on Friday and was diagnosed with a recurrence of the ankle injury that troubled him towards the end of the 2011 season. The club hope the operation will prove a long-lasting solution.

"Following a scan in Derby, Marcus saw a specialist in Exeter," Brian Rose, Somerset's director of cricket, told ESPNcricinfo. "It was decided that he required surgery on his damaged tendon and that he will probably not be available for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

"Our first game in this summer's T20 competition is on June 13, so I suspect that will become the target for his come back."

James Hildreth will captain Somerset in Trescothick's absence.

The club had better news of Steve Kirby, who was unable to bowl on the final day in Nottingham, and Vernon Philander, who missed the game after suffering back spasms. Philander will play against Lancashire starting on Thursday, while Kirby will undergo a fitness test on Wednesday, but remains optimistic he should be fit. Geemal Hussain is also expected to be available to return in about 10 days.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by JG2704 on (April 26, 2012, 11:14 GMT)

@TheHoneymonster - Bad news re SK. The sooner Pune W get eliminated the better. Thought Lewis was actually more of a bowler. He learnt his cricket not too far from me. The bowling still looks a bit unthreatening. I hope that when VP returns to SAs ranks we find a quality overseas bowler to replace him with

Posted by SDHM on (April 25, 2012, 13:51 GMT)

One final comment from me! The bad news is thatKirby is now out for 4 weeks, so a couple of youngsters (twins no less - what a unique feat that'd be if they both played!) have been called up. Lewis Gregory will open the batting in Tresco's absence. I know he's supposed to be an all-rounder, but what I've seen from him with the bat so far wouldn't have me pegging him as a decent opener. That said, his chances with the bat have been incredibly limited so far, so it'd be nice to see him get a decent run higher up the order - I've mainly seen him in limited overs cricket, where he inevitably seems to come in at the end of the innings needing to slog right away. If his batting is anywhere near as promising as his bowling (19 years old and already 90mph consistently) then he's a serious prospect!

Posted by SDHM on (April 25, 2012, 13:12 GMT)

JG - I think Kieswetter at the top could be a good shout; he plays the role well in one day cricket, and despite being right-handed, is probably the most like for like replacement we have seeing as he bats positively and aggressively, a nice counterpoint for the more cautious Suppiah and Compton. Not quite sure how effective he'll be with the pitches playing the way they are at the moment however! On Hildreth, he seemed like his confidence needed rebuilding last year - he'd pretty much banged the door down on the England selectors over the previous couple of seasons, only for them to ignore form when Bell got injured and pick Eoin Morgan instead, with no real first class pedigree behind him. He'd be much better suited to the no.6 role than Compton, but as people have pointed out, he has the stigma of only ever really scoring runs at Taunton. He's been putting that right over the end of last season and the start of this one however - I'm pretty sure his time will come again.

Posted by   on (April 25, 2012, 11:54 GMT)

Shame Tres is injured although it shows what talent we have in England to be the Ashes holder with out him in the team.

Posted by JG2704 on (April 24, 2012, 21:50 GMT)

@TheHoneymonster on (April 24 2012, 12:56 PM GMT) Could Compton not play at 6 for Eng? I know he plays at 3 or 4 for Somerset. Hildreth had a bad 2011 and had he repeated his 2010 he might be there or thereabouts now. I'll be honest he didn't impress me in the shorter formats (televised) at all last year - I thought he was our worst player as he seemed unable to accelerate or rotate the strike at times but hopefully last year was just a blip. I also wonder how long Eng should/will keep faith with Bell and wonder what ould happen if one of our batsmen got injured and whoever came in did a great job. Would they continue with the stand in or bring back the injured player? They seem to have different policies for bowlers comp to batsmen. What would you think about them trying Craig as an opener?

Posted by bobmartin on (April 24, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

@RandyOZ... Jeez.. Ponting.. is he still playing.. and Hussey...him too... both in the test team to boot.. Well there's a thing...or maybe not given the dearth of talent that's kicking about down under

Posted by Yevghenny on (April 24, 2012, 14:13 GMT)

excellent post landl47 - it is truly comical listening to RandyOz talk about England when their TEST top 3 is Warner, Cowan and Watson!! None of these players have achieved a tenth of what Tres did for Somerset and England. Philander was actually signed before he went ballistic for South Africa, Tsotsobe (or however you spell it!) I believe was the man in possession along with Morkel and Steyn at the time

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (April 24, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

@RandyOZ: thank you for your informed commentary. Not only is Trescothick still going, but last year, for the 2nd time in 3 years, he was acknowledged by his fellow professionals as PCA Player of the year (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCA_Player_of_the_Year). Previous recipients of this award include Martin Van Jaarsveld, Brian Lara, Mushtaq Ahmed, Richard Hadlee, Malcolm Marshall and Mike Procter. However, strikingly, in the 40 years of its existence, no Australian player has ever received this award. What do you make of this inability of Australian players to shine and win respect and acknowledgement from their fellow professionals amidst the 'paper thin' talent in the English county game?

Posted by Juiceoftheapple on (April 24, 2012, 13:29 GMT)

I dont recall the Somerset batting order ever being so strong, maybe 1982?Bearing in mind we might have beat Notts at TrentB without Buttler, Kieswetter, Trego or Tresco facing a ball !! Its probably the first time in many a year we've actually been able to lose Tresco for a while. What is more worrying is the bowling, Dibble is out (a huge potential), Hussain (who might have taken a load in the recent conditions) PLUS Big Vern and Kirby !! So its Trego and Meschede leading the line, with support from Gregory - They've done really well, but our reserves of bowlers are 'paper thin' as the Oz numpty puts it. Batting depth for draws here we come?! As for Compo, he's shown this for a few years, he is a proper stonewaller when he wants to be, and the only place he'd fit in an England team is 1, 2 or 3. And as Trott and Cook aren't moving, and Strauss has retirement on the horizon, I'd say say he's got every chance - along with Carberry etc - of making a claim on the opening slot.

Posted by landl47 on (April 24, 2012, 13:27 GMT)

@RandyOZ: Yes, Tresco is still playing. Here are some averages for you to think about: (1) Test: 43.79, FC: 42.63. (2) Test: 30.20, FC: 40.86. (3) Test: 27.36, FC: 36.93. (4) Test: 38.03, FC: 41.65. (5) Test: 29.22, FC: 42.63. In case you haven't guessed, (1) is Trescothick, who last played for England in 2006. Nos. (2), (3) and (4) are Cowan, Marsh and Watson respectively, who have all batted in the top 3 in Australia's test side THIS YEAR. (5) is Khawaja, whom you have repeatedly demanded should be in the Australian test side. Now, on the subject of paper-thin talent.........

Posted by SDHM on (April 24, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

JG - to be honest, I'd prefer someone like Compton - experienced, mature, safe in his game - to be picked over a hugely talented but naive youth like Bairstow or Taylor at this moment in time. Compton would have to come in up the order for me though, so he's only likely to come in if Trott, KP or Bell pick up an injury. Hildreth is the one for me; he's the obvious answer to our no.6 problem in the absence of an all rounder (although Stokes and Woakes are shaping up nicely). Aggressive and busy, he reminds me so much of AB de Villiers it's uncanny - from his background in hockey to the way he bats, with that mix of rigid orthodoxy and impish creativity - although not in the same class obviously. He's been banging on the door for years, and he's a better player than Patel or Bopara for me. I agree about Alfonso Thomas, although you can't begrudge him for going to the IPL. With him, Philander and Kirby in the ranks though, we'd have a seam attack capable of winning the league easily.

Posted by o-bomb on (April 24, 2012, 11:30 GMT)

Real shame for Tres. I was looking forward to seeing him at the Oval in 10 days, but clearly he won't be there. I hope he recovers quickly.

Posted by JG2704 on (April 24, 2012, 8:35 GMT)

@TheHoneymonster and other SS fans - Feel it's been a very frustrating start to the season. We should probably have beaten Warwicks when we had them 8 down with over 50 more required and vs Notts the weather was against us not to mention a severely depleted bowling line up. Didn't realise until I read this article that Kirby didn't bowl in the 2nd inns and that's on top of VP. Also I have mixed feelings when I watch Alf in IPL. I love the guy but want him back playing for Somerset. Just wondering what might have happened had VP and AT been at the spear of our attack vs Notts? It may be worth trying Craig as an opener but I feel Jones will come straight in to that position.There are probably reasons for any formul they play. BTW (and I know he's not that old) if Nick was a few years younger does anyone else think he could have been in with a shout of playing for England based on his form from the last year or so?

Posted by ncurd on (April 24, 2012, 8:18 GMT)

Tresco would still be playing for England if it wasn't for his well documented issues with travelling abroad. The fact remains last season despite missing the latter stages he was the best Batsman in the country by a huge margin. The other lads will have step up as they did at Trent Bridge. My only worry is Compton is starting to be talked about for an England berth I don't think hes suited for the middle order but if he keeps scoring runs like he has, Patel keeps failing and Bopara doesn't keep up the current run the England selectors may actually pick a guy on form!

Posted by   on (April 24, 2012, 4:50 GMT)

Trescothik is Englands most attacking opener and his record and scoring rate speaks for himself. He would be dearly missed .

Posted by hiran22 on (April 24, 2012, 3:18 GMT)

He's still playing? One of the best ODI openers England had and doesn't have anymore.

Posted by SDHM on (April 23, 2012, 23:29 GMT)

AVDS - we were actually pressured to rest Philander in the last game by CSA; apparently he's carrying a chronic ankle injury amongst other things. Begs the question why they let him come and play at all if he's in such a state, surely he should be resting up? And JG - no, didn't get to the game sadly! Nottingham's a bit of a trek; I live down in Bath, so not a million miles from Taunton. I'll be going down if the weather decides to start playing ball! Jones would seem like the obvious answer to bring in, but he and Suppiah at the top doesn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence. Hopefully we can bring Philander back in and Kirby's injury isn't too serious - we'll be incredibly hamstrung if CSA (understandably it has to be said) keep wanting to dictate as and when we can play our best bowler!

Posted by RandyOZ on (April 23, 2012, 23:25 GMT)

Is this guy still going around? We all know the talent is paper thin in England, but the fact this guy is still getting a game........wow, just....wow.

Posted by Munkeymomo on (April 23, 2012, 23:03 GMT)

To be honest I think it may be a great chance for Compton to open for awhile, I'd rather see Chris Jones in at 5 or 6. That would also give Buttler a chance at 4/5 (I'd like to see him at 4) to really show what he is made of. Hildreth coming in at 3 could also raise his stock. All in all bad news but hopefully the younger batsmen can put a positive spin on things, but it is always going to be hard to replace the best batsman in the country.

Posted by JG2704 on (April 23, 2012, 20:27 GMT)

@AdrianVanDenStael - It's not a choice I'd want to make but you may be right. Chris Jones also did a fair job when he came in last season. In fact the job Nick/Hildreth/Suppiah did at Nottingham proves we have got capable batsmen and (apart from the rain) VPs absence didn't help our chances of getting a result. @TheHoneymonster - I think they'll bring Chris Jones in at the top who seemed to do a good job when he played last year.Another idea might be to move CK up to open as he does in shorter forms. The thing I feel Tres gives the side is quicker runs which during rain hit matches can be the difference between a draw and a win. I was actually very surprised our weak looking bowling attack bowled Notts out so cheap in the 1st inns and even took 4 wkts in the 2nd. It was extremely frustrating and as a Somerset fan (may be my bias) the rain always seems to affect games we're dominating. Afraid I'm just an armchair fan these days - did you actually go to the game?

Posted by SDHM on (April 23, 2012, 19:39 GMT)

JG - it was heartening to see the batting fire without Banger at Trent Bridge, as it so often has crumbled if he fails or hasn't played in the past. Hopefully it'll give them a bit of belief that they can do it regularly. Still a big blow though - he's so solid and positive at the top of the order, and I'm not sure who else we can throw up to open. Compton perhaps?

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (April 23, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

In the last few weeks for once Trescothick hasn't looked like a particularly strong link in Somerset's batting, especially with Compton and Hildreth, and to a lesser extent Suppiah, Buttler and Trego, in good form. Just maybe at the moment if Somerset fans had to pick between having Trescothick and having Philander available, they'd pick the latter

Posted by JG2704 on (April 23, 2012, 19:19 GMT)

Very disappointing news both for Tres and Somerset. I hope he comes back fit and strong and this is not the start of a series of setbacks. Was also disappointed that the weather denied Somerset from a probable victory vs Notts.

George DobellClose
County Results
Hampshire v Warwickshire at Lord's - Sep 15, 2012
Hampshire won (lost fewer wickets)
Derbyshire v Hampshire at Derby - Sep 11-14, 2012