County news May 4, 2012

Essex eye Shakib signing

Shakib Al Hasan, currently ranked as the world's best allrounder in Test and ODI cricket, is poised to make a return to the county game.

Shakib, 24, a former Bangladesh captain, has enjoyed previous stints in county cricket with Worcestershire, but will not be returning to New Road. Essex are one of the leading candidates for his signature. "He is one of the names we are considering," Paul Grayson, the Essex head coach said, "but nothing is finalised."

Shakib had originally planned to take a break after the IPL, where he is playing for Kolkata Knight Riders, but writing in Prothom Alo, the Bangladesh newspaper, he said his renewed appetite for the game had convinced him to return for another stint of county duty.

"Before I came to IPL, I had thought that I won't be playing country cricket," Shakib wrote. "I have played a lot of cricket in the last year, so I needed a bit of rest. But that rest which I had craved seems to be going away from me once again. I have a call-up from county cricket. I hope it will be finalised in two to four days, but not for Worcestershire, if I play this year it will be for a new team.

"The reason I had to retract from my initial decision of not playing county is to let myself play matches. After the Asia Cup, we got a long break so I feel rather than taking rest, it is better to play some cricket. Still I'm looking for a gap in the schedule so that I can take a 15-20 days uninterrupted break from the game. Even this sort of a break has become very important for me."

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

• dummy4fb on May 7, 2012, 22:13 GMT

WickyRoy.paklover You may be right. After all what do those ICC know? Shakib waits for batsmen to make mistake and he got more wickets...but Narine forces players to make mistakes he got less wickets. May be it's just Shakib's luck. He plays for an ordinary team (compared to the top 5 teams in the world). But his wickets are from international matches played against these top teams. I think Narine is new so everyone is trying to figure him out. They will all analyze him and know how to play him sooner or later. They have to keep on innovating. Everyone has already analyzed Shakib. He still gets wickets and more runs than Narine. Unfortunately, Bangladeshi players have the glass ceiling to crack. Shakib needs to show better batting performance whenever he gets a chance. It was not as good as his BPL performance.

• dummy4fb on May 7, 2012, 16:52 GMT

@WickyRoy.paklover...Shakib don't require a certificate from you...his standard is being reflected in the ICC rankings for the last couple of years (and also in the last Asia cup). Shakib may not be considered in the KKR for various reasons...team combinations,player quota etc.That doesn't mean he is an ordinary one....keep on watching bro......

• dummy4fb on May 6, 2012, 16:14 GMT

IF SHAKIB IS A ORDINARY PLAYER THEN WHY IS HE GETTING OFFERS FROM CLUBS SUCH AS KKR AND ESSEX..............?????!!!!!!

• WickyRoy.paklover on May 6, 2012, 9:37 GMT

@bohurupi,he has been replacd by narine who z far beter bowler than shakib,

• Sehwag_Is_Ordinary on May 6, 2012, 7:39 GMT

Thanks to KKR for raising the playing instict inside Sakib by axing him from the team. Please keep him away from low esteemed IPL so that the hunger in him rises once again. If he had played all the matches for KKR, he wouldnt be playing in County, so thanks to KKR management lol !County cricket is real cricket and not IPL glamour where teams play so that Preity Zinta can jump up and above? Ludicrous League this IPL

• WickyRoy.paklover on May 6, 2012, 6:54 GMT

@Asad.Hafiz,vry funny n hillarious bt this z nt ur mistake,ur team have jst producd one playr of intrnatnl standard in last 15 years or so.by d way one could feel jealousy 4rm an equal or beter person nt 4rm below level.

• sfarazi on May 6, 2012, 3:45 GMT

I think this attitude is really something that more Bangladeshi cricketers need to adopt. IPL has been quite disappointing in my opinion because nowadays, it's become all about the money rather than promoting the 20/20 format of the game. County cricket remains true to real cricket and Shakib will learn a lot from his stint with Essex. Good luck to Shakib :)

• jhumon_sydney on May 6, 2012, 3:28 GMT

It is realy good for Shakib to play with other lefty Cook and also player like Petersen,Bopara.

• dummy4fb on May 6, 2012, 1:49 GMT

@VICKY ROY .... You have not enough cricket sense to justify shakib's tallent. He has not become no. 1 allrounder by playing ordinary bowling or batting. Infact u guys are jealous about him......

• Muhtasim13 on May 5, 2012, 20:49 GMT

@ bohurupi, KKR are winning matches with the current line up they have. Why would they want to change it? And, how do you know that he is in form or not? Maybe he's not playing well in the nets, so you can't really say that he's in form.

• No featured comments at the moment.