Gloucestershire v Netherlands, CB40 Group A, Bristol May 6, 2012

Myburgh leads Netherlands to Gloucestershire upset

Netherlands 239 for 6 (Myburgh 77) beat Gloucestershire 238 for 8 (Howell 72*, Seelaar 4-42) by 1 run

Stephan Myburgh's hard-hitting 77 laid the foundation for a thrilling one-run victory by Netherlands over Gloucestershire. The opener made his runs off just 72 balls, with 11 fours and two sixes, as the visitors ran up 239 for 6 after losing the toss.

Cameron Borgas, Mudassar Bukhari and Wesley Barresi lent positive support, while Ed Young returned 2 for 31 from eight overs.

After falling behind the run rate, Gloucestershire rallied with a brilliant 72 not out off 51 balls from Benny Howell, only to fall agonisingly short as Pieter Seelaar picked up 4 for 42. The home side required 13 off the last over, bowled by Bukhari. Jon Batty hit a boundary, but with three needed to win off the final delivery Howell could manage only a leg-bye.

Gloucestershire were left to rue their early batting, which saw them make only 87 for one off their first 20 overs. Alex Gidman, who opened with brother Will, took 69 balls to make 41 and when he was caught in the deep 141 runs were needed off just 16 overs.

Howell, signed on a trial basis after being released by Hampshire, did his hopes of a contract no harm by hitting four fours and two sixes but could not quite pull off victory.

Earlier, Myburgh had signalled his intent from the start, dispatching the second ball of the match from Will Gidman over midwicket for six. The 28-year-old left-hander went on to dominate an opening stand of 84 with Michael Swart reaching his half-century off 42 balls.

Left-arm spinner Young made the breakthrough in the 14th over, bowling Swart playing across the line. Chris Dent followed up by having Peter Borren caught at mid-wicket but Myburgh helped take the total to 152 before also falling to Dent's offspin.

After Borgas and Tom Cooper fell, Barresi and Bukhari added 58 in quick time to boost the total before Barresi was bowled by the first ball of the final over from Ian Saxelby.