Glamorgan v Leicestershire, Cardiff, 3rd day May 31, 2012

Wallace ton sets up Glamorgan victory chance

Leicestershire 271 and 84 for 1 trail Glamorgan 558 for 9 (Wallace 118, North 116) by 203 runs

A first century of the season from captain Mark Wallace put Glamorgan in with a good chance of winning their first Championship match going into the final day against Leicestershire at Cardiff.

Wallace's 118 followed up Marcus North's hundred on day two and was the backbone of Glamorgan's late middle order as the Welsh county declared their first innings on 558 for 9 - a lead of 287. Leicestershire battled back effectively in the final session to close on 84 for 1 in their second innings, although still trailing by 203.

The visitors lost Greg Smith early on caught behind from a good James Harris ball but Michael Thornely and Ned Eckersley, Leicestershire's top scorers from the first innings, took their side through to stumps without any further scares.

Earlier, Glamorgan, who resumed on 302 for 5 - a lead of 31, enjoyed a productive morning session with 124 runs coming very easily. The home side's only blemish was the loss of nightwatchman Dean Cosker who was lbw to Wayne White in the fourth over of the day.

After that, despite Leicestershire taking the second new ball, Wallace and Jim Allenby completely dominated in reaching their first Championship half-centuries of the season during a partnership worth 139 for the seventh wicket. Wallace was in sparkling form, going to his 50 from 76 balls, while Allenby followed him just before the lunch interval bringing up the landmark from 102 balls with a six over midwicket.

It was the first time Glamorgan have celebrated maximum batting points this season, with Leicestershire skipper Ramnaresh Sarwan using nine bowlers. Glamorgan reached lunch in a healthy position at 425 for 6 and an already decent lead was extended after the interval despite Allenby being trapped leg-before to White for 61.

Glamorgan's momentum continued as Wallace and Harris put on 96 in only 16.4 overs as they further strengthened their position. Harris fell, caught behind down the leg-side off Claude Henderson, two short of his half-century before Wallace holed out to extra cover off the same bowler with Glamorgan declaring shortly after.