Glamorgan v Durham, CB40 Group B, Colwyn Bay June 10, 2012

Jones brings Glamorgan first win

Glamorgan 163 (Stokes 3-24) beat Durham 148 (Richardson 45, Jones 4-23) by 15 runs

Simon Jones, the former England fast bowler, took four wickets as Glamorgan claimed their first win of the season by beating Durham by 15 runs in a low-scoring CB40 match at Colwyn Bay.

Glamorgan, without a win in the second division of the Championship, had looked unlikely to get off the mark in Group B after being bowled out for 163 in 34.3 overs on a slow pitch, only for Durham, who had won three of their previous four CB40 matches, struggled as well and slumped to 148 all out in reply.

Jones began Durham's slide to defeat by claiming the wickets of Phil Mustard and Ben Stokes in the space of two overs. Mustard gave a sharp catch to Martin van Jaarsveld at slip and Stokes was lbw as the visitors reached 28 for 2 in the eighth over.

Glamorgan then struck twice more in the next two overs. James Harris trapped Gordon Muchall in front before Jones had Mark Stoneman caught behind.

Jones, who had figures of 3 for 18 off six overs at that stage, was replaced at the Penrhyn Avenue end by Jim Allenby who broke through to remove Dale Benkenstein via a sharp catch at backward point by Stewart Walters. Will Smith and Michael Richardson rebuilt before the former was run out at the non-striker's end via the hand of the bowler Will Owen. Scott Borthwick lasted only three overs before he was bowled by Dean Cosker.

Jones then returned and claimed the wicket of Richardson, who went lbw for 45, and in the next over Allenby bowled Liam Plunkett as Durham slumped to 122 for nine. Mitchell Claydon and Chris Rushworth threatened to pull off a grand recovery but with 13 balls remaining Owen bowled Rushworth to seal the home side's maiden win.

Earlier, Glamorgan had made an encouraging start after winning the toss but lost three wickets in the space of four overs as they went from 41 without loss to 48 for three. Both openers were out in quick succession. Captain Mark Wallace was caught behind and Gareth Rees, who made 28 off 20 balls, was caught on the mid-wicket boundary before Marcus North became Rushworth's second victim.

Stokes struck twice in as many overs as Glamorgan struggled to 100 for five. Allenby looked settled until he edged behind for 26 before Van Jaarsveld was bowled for 25. When Glamorgan lost two wickets in consecutive deliveries to Smith's offspin, few would have given much for their chances.