Glamorgan v Gloucestershire, Cardiff, 2nd day September 25, 2013

Allenby, Cooke keep contest even

Glamorgan 271 for 9 (Allenby 85, Cooke 50, Gidman 4-64) trail Gloucestershire 275 (Dent 84) by four runs

Honours were left even at stumps on day two of Glamorgan's Championship Division Two clash with Gloucestershire at Cardiff. Will Gidman starred for the visitors with 4 for 64, while Jim Allenby scored 85 for Glamorgan as they reached 271 for 9 in response to Gloucestershire's 275 all out.

Gloucestershire had resumed their first innings on 228 for 8 after only 82.1 overs had been possible on the first day because of bad light during the final hour.

Glamorgan had probably hoped to wrap up the visiting innings quickly but it took the bowlers almost 23 overs to claim the final two wickets during which Gloucestershire added 47 runs.

Tom Smith and Graeme McCarter rode their luck early on but stayed around to register Gloucestershire's second batting point. Slow left-armer Dean Cosker was twice lofted back over his head for fours by McCarter before Allenby trapped him leg-before .

From 263 for 9, Gloucestershire added 12 more runs before Allenby struck again when Matt Taylor was caught by Ben Wright at backward point.

Glamorgan suffered a setback in their reply as they found themselves reduced to 47 for 3. In the final over before lunch Gareth Rees edged McCarter to Chris Dent at second slip.

Glamorgan lost a second wicket in the third over after the interval as Wright was trapped leg before by Gidman. And the mini-collapse was complete when veteran Murray Goodwin, who had opened, edged Taylor the into Dent's hands at third slip.

But Chris Cooke and Allenby rescued the Welsh county from their shaky predicament, putting on 56 for the fourth wicket. Allenby played positively driving his first two deliveries from Taylor for four but he had a life when Ian Cockbain dropped him at third slip off Gidman.

Cooke also played well in completing a 64-ball half century but, shortly after, Taylor broke through his defences to leave Glamorgan 103 for four which became 130 for 4 by tea.

After the interval, David Lloyd perished when he edged to Dent at second slip off Gidman, who then had skipper Mark Wallace caught behind to leave the home side 147 for 6. But Allenby continued, completing an 68-ball fifty, before he lost Graham Wagg lbw to McCarter.

Ruaidhri Smith brought up the 200 but he lost Allenby, who edged Taylor into the hands of the busy Dent at second slip. Smith was the ninth man out before Cosker and Michael Hogan put on an unbeaten 27 for the final wicket by stumps.