County news November 5, 2013

Sussex make Piolet return permanent

ESPNcricinfo staff

Steffan Piolet has completed a return to Sussex after being released from the final year of his Warwickshire contract. The allrounder had been loaned to the county where he started his career at the end of last season, although he was recalled by Warwickshire for a rare first-class appearance as injuries struck the defending champions.

It is further opportunities in the Championship that have spurred Piolet to move on, after five years at Warwickshire where he became an important part of their limited-overs sides. The 25-year-old has taken 33 List A wickets and 44 in T20 but has only made four first-class appearances, despite a bowling average of 17.21. He joins Sussex on a one-year deal.

"I'm delighted to be back home with Sussex," Piolet said. "I always wanted to play here at some point in my career and I'm looking forward to fighting for a place in all forms of the game.

"I'd like to thank everyone involved at Warwickshire for a fantastic five years. It's been an honour to play with some of the best cricketers in the country."

Piolet didn't make a first-team appearance at Sussex before being signed by Warwickshire in 2008 but Sussex's cricket manager, Mark Robinson, said that he would be in contention to play all forms of the game back on the south coast.

"We're really excited at the prospect of having Steff on board," Robinson said. "Being a local lad, having played youth and second team cricket with us, he is somebody we know really well. Steff has a hunger to play in the longer form of the game and the make-up of our squad means he has every chance of getting some opportunities to prove he is more than just a very good one-day player.

"We appreciate and admire Warwickshire's willingness to do what is best for the player by releasing him and allowing us to pick up the last year of his contract."

Comments have now been closed for this article