Glamorgan v Gloucestershire, Cardiff, 1st day April 20, 2014

Payne leaves Glamorgan in tatters

Press Association

Glamorgan 47 for 6 (Payne 3-14) v Gloucestershire

David Payne was left frustrated as Glamorgan slumped to 47 for six on the first day of their LV= County Championship Division Two clash with Gloucestershire in Cardiff before rain washed out more than two sessions.

Payne, the left-armer, was left waiting to bowl his hat-trick ball after he claimed the scalps of Murray Goodwin and Mark Wallace with the final two deliveries before the weather brought a halt to proceedings in the 20th over.

He left the pitch with figures of 3 for 14 from 4.4 overs having also claimed the wicket of Jacques Rudolph as the home side collapsed after being put in.

Glamorgan's innings got off to the worst possible start when Gareth Rees was caught behind by Cameron Herring off the bowling of Will Gidman with the first ball of the day and it could have been worse when Stewart Walters was dropped off the second ball of the game.

However, Gidman then trapped Walters lbw for 4 as the home side fell to 18 for 2 in the fifth over. Things then went from bad to worse as a diving catch by Gloucestershire captain Michael Klinger off the bowling of Matt Taylor removed opener William Bragg for 25 to leave Glamorgan reeling on 33 for 3.

Rudolph was next to fall with only three more runs added when Payne bowled him out for a painstaking 4 from 37 balls to leave the hosts four down after 16 overs. That left Goodwin and Jim Allenby at the crease, but not for long, as the former was caught at slip by Alex Gidman off the bowling of Payne.

Payne struck again with his next ball to send Glamorgan captain Wallace packing - for his second golden duck of the Championship season - but before he could bowl his hat-trick ball the players were taken off for rain.

The break could not have come sooner for the Welsh side, who were glad to get back to the safety of the pavilion. A pitch inspection was set for 2pm but the rain continued to fall, with an early tea then taken with a further inspection scheduled for 3.15.

Play was then set to resume at 4.10 with 43 overs scheduled to be played, but bad light and rain just before the resumption caused a further delay and the umpires eventually decided no more play would be possible shortly after 5.45 leaving Payne to wait overnight for his hat-trick chance.