Derbyshire v Hampshire, Derby, 4th day April 23, 2014

Adams grinds Hants to safety

Press Association

Hampshire 328 (Smith 70, Gatting 67) and 236 for 3 (Adams 84, Vince 50) drew with Derbyshire 399 (Moore 128, Chanderpaul 82, Groenewald 56*, Abbott 4-84)

Derbyshire and Hampshire drew their rain-affected Championship Division Two match after the weather and bad light played a part on the final day at the County Ground. Hampshire captain Jimmy Adams scored 84 as the visitors progressed from their overnight second innings score of 20 without loss to move to 236 for 3 - a lead of 165 - but bad light forced the teams from the pitch, with a draw the eventual outcome.

It means Derbyshire and Hampshire both scored 11 points, with the latter top of the second division standings following the result.

With Hampshire resuming the final day 51 runs behind their hosts, Adams and opening partner Michael Carberry saw off the opening overs by Tim Groenewald, who would have reached the 250 first-class wicket milestone with a decision on Wednesday.

Instead, the Derbyshire seamer plugged away to return figures of 0 for 28 from 11 overs, with Hampshire moving to 93 for 0 at lunch, with England's Carberry having accrued 41 and Adams 44. The hosts had the chance to dismiss Adams on 51 shortly after the resumption when he edged Chesney Hughes, but neither wicketkeeper Richard Johnson nor Wayne Madsen could hold on to the chance.

The breakthrough eventually came off the bowling of Wes Durston in the 49th over, though, when Carberry was caught at cover by Hughes. Liam Dawson fell 10 overs later after Stephen Moore held on to a fantastic catch at cover off the bowling of Mark Footitt (2 for 27) to leave Hampshire on 151 for 2 with a lead of 80.

Adams was the next man out, trapped lbw by Footitt after 196 balls and 223 minutes at the crease, and after a short time of bedding in for new batsman Will Smith, who joined James Vince in the middle, the rain came and the teams went off for an early tea.

After an extended break, Hampshire returned and Vince moved to within two runs of a half-century while Smith added two more to his score, before bad light brought another halt to proceedings. Play resumed for one more over before bad light forced the sides off again, with Vince and Smith returning to the pavilion, with play then called off for the day.