Hampshire v Glamorgan, NatWest T20 Blast, South Division, Ageas Bowl May 16, 2014

Glamorgan break their Hampshire duck

ESPNcricinfo staff

Glamorgan 161 for 7 (Rudolph 34, Wallace 33, Briggs 3-26) beat Hampshire 151 for 6 (Coles 42, Owen 3-32) by 10 runs

Glamorgan claimed their first ever T20 win at the Ageas Bowl as they beat Hampshire by 10 runs in their NatWest T20 Blast opener.

The visitors posted 161 for 7 with several batsmen getting starts but Will Owen returned figures three for 32 in the reply as Glamorgan restricted their well-fancied hosts to 151 for 6.

Hampshire won the toss and put Glamorgan in to bat with Jim Allenby hitting the first ball of the campaign behind square for a four.

Jacques Rudolph then dispatched Matt Coles for three consecutive boundaries before Hampshire turned to the spin of Danny Briggs and the decision brought quick results as Allenby was stumped by Michael Bates for 15.

The combination of Briggs and Bates produced results again as Rudolph was stumped for 34 off 21 balls and Mark Wallace was next to go for 33 as Liam Dawson took an impressive catch off Will Smith on the midwicket boundary.

Six balls later Murray Goodwin was gone for 14 with the veteran caught by Kyle Abbott off the bowling of Dawson and Ben Wright followed for eight as Dawson took a second catch of the night off Coles.

Jimmy Adams caught Chris Cooke at long-on as Briggs took his third wicket and Ruaidhri Smith had his leg stump removed by Coles for just 2 in the final over.

Michael Carberry, called up to the England limited-overs squads earlier in the week, was first to go in reply with Owen bowling the opener for 4. Adams was then caught by Cooke as Owen got his second wicket and Carberry was soon back on the field as a runner for Dawson, who had a leg injury.

Dawson soon retired hurt bringing Sean Ervine to the crease but skipper James Vince was next to fall, stumped by Wallace off Andrew Salter for 38. Coles then began to clear the rope as Hampshire pushed on, leaving themselves needing 51 off the last five overs.

Ervine cracked three consecutive boundaries but was bowled by Owen and when Smith was run out, the writing was on the wall with Coles bowled by Graham Wagg with the penultimate ball.