Nottinghamshire v Durham, NatWest T20 Blast, Trent Bridge May 30, 2014

Rushworth earns Durham narrow win

Press Association

Durham 132 for 8 (Muchal 31*, Mullaney 4-25) beat Nottinghamshire 129 for 7 (Mullaney 26*, Rushworth 3-19) by three runs

Chris Rushworth held his nerve to defend nine of the final over to deny the efforts of Steven Mullaney as Nottinghamshire slipped to a three-run defeat against Durham in a thrilling finale at Trent Bridge.

Rushworth conceded two twos from the first deliveries of the 20th to leave only five needed in four balls but responded with two dot balls. A single from the penultimate ball and a wicket off the last closed out victory.

The home side appeared well in control of the contest after Mullaney's four wickets had helped them reduce their opponents to 132 for 8 in the opening 20 overs. He then ended the match unbeaten at the crease on 26, but Nottinghamshire had only managed to get to 129 for 7 before time ran out.

Mullaney was involved in the first wicket of the night, catching Mark Stoneman off Andy Carter, and, after the exit of Calum MacLeod, he had Paul Collingwood caught and bowled.

He then added three more wickets in quick succession as the visitors slumped to 76 for 6, Phil Mustard the first and Ben Stokes following before the irrepressible Mullaney trapped Ryan Pringle lbw to take his second scalp in two balls.

Carter got his third wicket by bowling Usman Arshad and with Durham on 108, Luke Fletcher struck to remove Gareth Breese, Michael Lumb diving to produce his third and best catch of the evening.

Top-scorer Gordon Muchall helped the away side complete the innings without further loss, and they made an encouraging start with the ball as Chris Rushworth saw off Alex Hales and James Taylor.

Lumb headed to the pavilion not long after and it was 24 for 3 before the hosts then stabilised a little. Samit Patel made 18 but departed with his side on 51 and Chris Read was next to go, leaving Nottinghamshire on 81 for 5 in the 15th over.

The loss of Riki Wessels bowled by Stokes, was a blow in the 18th over but Sam Wood provided hope by smashing a six off the final ball of the penultimate over.

It meant nine were required from the last six balls for a home victory, and for all they had done previously, Mullaney and Wood were ultimately unable to get their team over the line, with the latter being caught by Stokes off Rushworth as he tried to fire another six off the final delivery.