County news

Siddle leaves Notts early

ESPNcricinfo staff

June 20, 2014

Comments: 5 | Text size: A | A

Peter Siddle appeals for an lbw against Faf du Plessis, South Africa v Australia, 2nd Test, Port Elizabeth, 1st day, February 20, 2014
Peter Siddle has been summoned home by Cricket Australia © AFP
Enlarge
Related Links

Peter Siddle, a key figure in Nottinghamshire's rise to the top of Division One, will not see out the season at Trent Bridge after being given notice of a recall by Cricket Australia.

Siddle had been expected to complete a full season of red ball cricket, but his central contract with his national team affords them the right to manage his workload and playing schedule.

Notts have responded by bolstering their prospects in limited-overs cricket by signing the highly-experienced New Zealand international James Franklin.

Siddle was dropped from the Australian team for the third Test of the series against South Africa in March after the coach Darren Lehmann highlighted his decline in pace over a period from 2011 to 2014 in which he had been a near constant in the Test match pace attack.

The national selectors have grown increasingly keen on ensuring players gain significant periods of rest, following the recent successes enjoyed by the refreshed Mitchell Johnson and Brad Haddin, among others, following lay-offs.

"Peter has been played a big part in some positive team performances in the County Championship," said Nottinghamshire's director of cricket Mick Newell.

"But it's a reality of signing centrally contracted players that their national boards have control of their availability and we appreciate the reasons behind this decision. I'd like to thank Peter for his contribution so far this season and have no doubt that he will continue to perform in the remaining time he has as a Nottinghamshire player."

Siddle will make his final appearance for Nottinghamshire against Lancashire in the game which begins on July 13.

Franklin will not feature in Friday's game against Derbyshire at Trent Bridge but will be available for seven remaining group matches as Notts, one of the fancied counties, seek to put right a mediocre start to the campaign. He will also be available to feature in the opening matches of their Royal London one-day cup campaign.

"James has been recommended to us by Stephen Fleming and Andre Adams as a player that fits the bill for us in terms of talent and versatility," said Newell.

"He'll bat in the lower middle order for us but he has batted much higher in T20 cricket around the world. A player like James gives us lots of options as he can play as one of our three main quick bowlers or take an all-rounder spot so he's not directly threatening the selection of any particular individual."

Newell added that Nottinghamshire will look at their options for a further replacement later in the season.

"Cricket Australia did not go into too many specifics about why they want Peter back but that is their prerogative but they are allowing him to play three more games, for which we are grateful," he said.

"But we have a long gap between going to Liverpool on July 16 and Northants on August 15, which will give us time to reassess before the last few games of the season and look around at who is available."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Posted by popcorn on (June 22, 2014, 22:34 GMT)

Good thinking by Cricket Australia. We need our players FRESH for the battles ahead.

Posted by TheBigBoodha on (June 21, 2014, 23:16 GMT)

Jagger, the Asian domination of cricket? You mean the Asian domination of T20, I assume.And even then, that is because most T20 is played on slog-friendly grounds in the sub-continent. Take a look at the test and ODI rankings.

Posted by Jagger on (June 21, 2014, 10:49 GMT)

@ markatnotts - If he plays Ashes next year, I'll go he. If Siddle and Anderson are all we've got to arrest the Asian domination of cricket, God help us.

Posted by markatnotts on (June 20, 2014, 20:15 GMT)

Well I would like to take the opportunity to thank Peter for his effort with bat, ball and general enthusiasm. CA have a right to manage contracted players workloads. To be honest he hasn't really set the world alight but then first division CC cricket is a lot tougher than a lot of the rest of the world gives it credit for. I would like to see him back in future seasons if we need an overseas bowler, I am sure he would do even better given this season's experience. One thing is for sure he won't be available next summer because of the Ashes. Once again thanks mate and do us proud in your remaining matches.

Posted by BlakeHoulihan on (June 20, 2014, 15:36 GMT)

Thrilled for Franklin, he said earlier in the winter he was dying for an opportunity over there. Would have thought he was playing in the upcoming CPL though? Guess not.

Comments have now been closed for this article

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
ESPNcricinfo staffClose
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days