County Cricket 2007 / News

Worcestershire hit by flooding

New Road ruled out for the season

Cricinfo staff

August 3, 2007

Text size: A | A



Mark Newton is now trying to get New Road ready for 2008 © Getty Images
Enlarge
Worcestershire have ruled out playing at New Road again this season after the ground was decimated by the recent flooding. They had already moved August's home matches to other venues and this latest news doesn't come as a surprise.

The flood waters have subsided, but the ground has been left caked with a huge layer of mud. There is now a huge clean-up and repair operation needed to get the ground ready for the 2008 season.

"I think everyone was at their lowest ebb last weekend when the floods finally came off the ground and they saw the mud heap that covered the ground," Worcestershire chief executive Mark Newton told the Press Association. "It was a big blow to everyone who has put their heart and soul into the club and realise that at the height of summer we should be out there playing cricket. It was devastating.

"There is no chance of playing anymore cricket at New Road this summer. It stinks everywhere and there is an inch of mud across the entire square and the outfield.

The club's losses are pushing towards £500,000 and because the ground is situated on a flood plain they are not covered by insurance. However, Newton says there are no thoughts of relocating. "A recent survey showed this is one of the top 10 grounds in the world that people like to visit."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
ESPNcricinfo staffClose
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days
Sponsored Links

Why not you? Read and learn how!