New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2009 July 7, 2009

Bond called up for tour of Sri Lanka

Shane Bond is set to play his first international matches in nearly two years after being named in New Zealand's one-day squad to tour Sri Lanka in August and September. However, Bond's hopes of a Test recall will depend on whether he can prove himself in the longer formats having focused largely on limited-overs games since 2007.

Bond and his fellow former ICL player Daryl Tuffey were both included after severing their ties with the unsanctioned Twenty20 league. Tuffey was picked in the Test squad and Bond, 34, for the ODIs and Twenty20s, and the head of the selection panel, Glenn Turner, said New Zealand would take a cautious approach with the injury-prone Bond.

"He's expressed a desire to play in Tests and that would be great if that could happen," Turner told Cricinfo. "But he hasn't played in the longer form of the game for a while now. He didn't play in the State Championship for Canterbury this year so we're just tiptoeing around that for a while. Once he has got his workloads up we'll see, but if he's injured then he's no use in either format."

Bond will warm up for his international comeback by visiting India with New Zealand A in August. His most recent taste of first-class cricket came during a county stint with Hampshire just over a year ago.

Tuffey, 31, missed out on a central contract last month but will be straight into the mix for the two Tests in a squad that features only three frontline seamers, with no room for James Franklin and Tim Southee. He has not represented New Zealand since the 2007 World Cup and hasn't played a Test since 2004 but Turner was confident Tuffey was ready to step back in after taking 27 first-class wickets at 22 during the New Zealand domestic summer.

"Daryl did prove himself last season for Auckland," Turner said. "He was the second top wicket taker in the State Championship and he was able to stay on the park. He bowled very nicely during that period. There's only three frontline fast bowlers in the party and in the conditions over there we're only likely to play two of them. We don't know who the two will be. He does swing the ball. It's a bit of a wait and see for Daryl as well."

In a surprise selection move the Auckland wicketkeeper Reece Young, 29, was picked as cover for Brendon McCullum in the 15-man Test squad despite Gareth Hopkins being the spare gloveman in the contract list released a fortnight ago. Hopkins was chosen in the ODI squad while a fourth wicketkeeper, Peter McGlashan, was named for the Twenty20 portion of the trip.

"He toured last time with the 'A's," Turner said of Young. "We just like his glovework and I think it's healthy now that we have guys putting their hands up in different forms of the game. We have McGlashan with his innovative batting in Twenty20 and we like Gareth Hopkins as a batsman in the 50 overs. It's horses for courses."

Young was the only uncapped player in the Test group, which also included Craig Cumming, who has not played a Test since January 2008, as the spare batsman. Scott Styris and Iain O'Brien were among the omissions for the limited-overs section of the tour, which will feature several men who will join the squad after warming up in India with New Zealand A.

"Many of the squad will be coming off their winter break, so the opportunity to get game time in sub-continent conditions is ideal," Turner said. The New Zealand A side will be captained by Peter Fulton and several players will be desperate to impress having recently lost their New Zealand contracts, including Jamie How and Aaron Redmond.

Test squad Tim McIntosh, Martin Guptill, Craig Cumming, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, Brendon McCullum, Jacob Oram, Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Reece Young, Daryl Tuffey, Jeetan Patel, Iain O'Brien, Chris Martin.

Limited-overs squad Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor, Jacob Oram, Neil Broom, Grant Elliott, Nathan McCullum, Gareth Hopkins (ODIs only), Peter McGlashan (Twenty20s only), Ian Butler, Daniel Vettori (capt), Shane Bond, Kyle Mills, Jeetan Patel.

New Zealand A squad Peter Fulton (capt), Brent Arnel, Shane Bond, Neil Broom, Brendon Diamanti, Gareth Hopkins, Jamie How, Peter McGlashan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Tarun Nethula, Aaron Redmond, Tim Southee, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson.

Brydon Coverdale is a staff writer at Cricinfo

• pepi1 on July 10, 2009, 1:26 GMT

I'm mainly interested in the test squad. 3 opening batters to choose from, McIntosh, Guptill, Cumming. I'm a bit worried, McIntosh has scored 1 hundred in his first ever innings and since then nothing due to poor technique. Guptill I think has the potential to compete on the world scale if he is given time to make that opening spot his own. In the past I have been perplexed by Cumming's inclusion, but having seen him play more and seen him interviewed I genuinely believe that he has the right attitude for test cricket. I reckon if he gets an opportunity in Sri Lanka I'm predicting he will take it and score big.

• boris6491 on July 7, 2009, 15:35 GMT

I dont think Franklin nor Southee deserved to lose their spots due to the fact that the former offers a lot and the latter is a good young talent with great capability and in need of exposure. However its fantastic to see Bond back in the frame and Tuffey as well. I think though New Zealand are just persisting ridiculously with Cumming who has been given multiple chances with no reward. I really do believe that, at least for the test squad, How is a much better option. A lot will depend upon Vettori. If his performances are excellent in SL, NZ might be able to give them a a solid fight. However I would honestly predict that SL will get the better of NZ at home.

• rakshit_dosti on July 7, 2009, 12:27 GMT

I think Jacob Oram should withdraw his name from Test Squad. He is not physically fit at all. I would like Shane Bond in Test Squad too. He can be handy on Asian pitches. He also got loads of ICL experience too.

• geedubnz on July 7, 2009, 11:57 GMT

James Franklin can't even make NZ A? He must be injured. He should make the test team ahead of Elliot (easily) and Oram (more of a toss up).

As for NZ A, you can't tell me that Diamanti and Nethula are better options than Franklin who is both a better batsman and bowler. He must be injured.

• LeeroyW on July 7, 2009, 10:24 GMT

I'm cautiously optimistic about Tuffey. He can be a handy bowler, but I've seen him smashed to all sides of the park on numerous occasions. Especially overseas where he has been virtually ineffective.

I don't rate Glenn Turner as a coach and administrator of the game. He was one of the best batsmen of his time but he brushes up players the wrong way and makes some very weird selection calls. I thought Oram wasn't even gonna play tests anymore. Franklin has been scoring runs like crazy in the past few seasons. I dunno what he has to do to get in the squad.

I'm optimistic of our chances but some selection do seem odd to me.

• stickywicketnick on July 7, 2009, 10:16 GMT

Once again the NZ cricket selectors have baffled me. Elliot is a fine player in the ODI format but not in test cricket. McGlashan scored a wonderful 50* against the Indians, I struggle to believe that Hopkins could do better.

Test 1-Peter Ingram 2-Flynn 3-Guptil 4-Taylor 5-Ryder 6-Oram 7-McCullum 8-Vettori 9-Bond 10-O'brien 11-Martin 12-Franklin 13-Butler 14-Patel

I don't feel that Guptil is an opener; he likes to play his shots while Flynn enjoys leaving the ball and batting time, making him a better option. Ingram has averaged 50 in the last 3 seasons of championship cricket and scored 2 centuries against the English Lions. Bond, O'Brien, Martin are the best seem bowlers in the country and all should be there. Oram should be given a chance, but if he doesn't show form Franklin should come back in.

ODI 1-Ryder 2-McCullum (wk) 3-Guptil 4-Taylor 5-Elliot 6-Franklin 7-McGlashan 8-Vettori 9-Butler 10-Mills 11-Bond 12-N.McCullum

I don't care about 20/20

• Rajit on July 7, 2009, 8:46 GMT

James Franklin and not Jacob Oram should have been in there in the Test Squad. Jacob Oram is one player wrapped in cotton wool and can't last for 5 days of test cricket

• kmister12 on July 7, 2009, 6:39 GMT

Wow, New Zealand are going to loose, no Franklin but instead Tuffy. Why oh why, this is quite bad. This would be my Test line up: Bond, Obrian, Martin & fourth seamer/ Batsman Franklin & Spinner Vettori. Part Timers Jesse Ryder Elliot. That seems the best attack New Zealand has to offer, aslo Jets or Nathan McCullum can come in for the intercontinental pitches but i still think Frankiln would be ver valuable with the bat and his bowling is getting better all the time. And also Ian O'brian is picking up pass witch could trouble batsman

• MitchellYoung on July 7, 2009, 6:34 GMT

I would have another fast bowler in the squad as cover because can you include Jacob Oram as a front line seamer anymore. I think the batting is fine with everyone apart from O'Brien and Martin being able to hold a bat. I would personally have Kyle Millis in the squad as he can swing the ball both ways and has a very good slower ball which on Sri Lankan pitches could work a treat. About time Craig Cumming was recalled he is one of the most technically correct batsman in New Zealand and is capable of batting for long periods of time. Same with Daryl Tuffey he has a nak of getting wickets early with the new ball and will come on and bowl wicket to wicket in his later spells. I am a fan of Grant Elliot but I dont think he is a test player and his spot should have gone to James Franklin and as for him he should be livid that he didint make any side he has been one of the best players in the last 12 months and can hit the ball a mile both sides of the wicket. Hopefully McCullum returns to 7

• youfoundme on July 7, 2009, 6:02 GMT

Jacob Oram in and no James Franklin? Wow! I mean, don't get me wrong I'm an Oram fan but what has he done in the past year for NZC? Good to see Grant Elliot be given a 2nd chance in the Test Squad though. And I'm happy for Tuffey, he'll do better than Chris Martin with Bat and Ball no doubt. Actually, I would have liked to have seen Ian Butler in for Chris Martin in Tests. But nonetheless, NZ should do fairly well against SL - I wouldn't dream to put my money on who wins, this would be one of our strongest squads in years tbh. My Test XI - Tim McIntosh, Martin Guptill, Daniel Flynn, Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, Brendon McCullum, Grant Elliott, Daniel Vettori (capt), Daryl Tuffey, Iain O'Brien, Ian Butler.

• pepi1 on July 10, 2009, 1:26 GMT

• boris6491 on July 7, 2009, 15:35 GMT

• rakshit_dosti on July 7, 2009, 12:27 GMT

• geedubnz on July 7, 2009, 11:57 GMT

• LeeroyW on July 7, 2009, 10:24 GMT

I'm optimistic of our chances but some selection do seem odd to me.

• stickywicketnick on July 7, 2009, 10:16 GMT

I don't care about 20/20

• Rajit on July 7, 2009, 8:46 GMT

• kmister12 on July 7, 2009, 6:39 GMT

• MitchellYoung on July 7, 2009, 6:34 GMT

• youfoundme on July 7, 2009, 6:02 GMT

• yetigoat on July 7, 2009, 5:15 GMT

Unbelievable, another season of flat out fast bowling from Tuffey. I can't wait to see him fire the ball down at almost 130km/hr. He's almost as fast as Franklin and can bat better.... Unless I have him confused with someone else who IS actually test class. What odds on Sri Lanka scoring 500+ every innings?

• mike9999 on July 7, 2009, 4:51 GMT

About time the NZ selectors got over their huffiness with Bond. I hope he will be as exciting as before. There's just nothing like seeing those cartwheeling stumps!

• Ari26 on July 7, 2009, 4:15 GMT

James Franklin is very unlucky he has been scoring runs non stop since he came back from injury and should be an automatic starter in the test team, he should probably be in the one day teams as well. His bowling is starting to come back too making him one if not the best allrounder in the country. How Oram and Elliot are ahead of him is anyones guess but those two have not done anything to deserve a place in the test side.

• akshay4india on July 7, 2009, 3:45 GMT

Can anyone tell me why Jacob Oram has been included in the Test Squad? What has he done for the past year or so? Im fine that he is in the Limited Overs Squad but he is an injury prone player and he will once again be injured during the Tests without doing anything important

• Jambo22 on July 7, 2009, 3:34 GMT

James Franklin does not deserve to be dropped. He has been one of the top batsmen in domestic cricket over the last few years, as well as one of the top bowlers. Plus his left-arm stuff gives variation that, I fear, will be sorely missed among no less than 7 right-arm medium pacers in the test squad.

He has been criminally under-utilised in recent limited overs cricket and this seems to have led to being dropped from the test team. To be honest, I would rather have seen Franklin in the team than Oram, who has been woefully out of form.

How on earth did Grant Elliott make the test team ahead of Franklin?? That is a quite ridiculous call, selectors.

The whole wicketkeeper thing is very strange. Pick one guy as back-up and give him an extended go. Hopkins, McGlashan and Young are all decent batsmen, just pick one already.

• sickleinmybrain on July 7, 2009, 3:33 GMT

But even with these recalls I still have a horrible feeling NZ are going to get thrashed about like a rag doll in the tests...

• Lucas_Pallesano on July 7, 2009, 2:33 GMT

This is very exciting news for New Zealand cricket as the bowling needed to be strengthened. Can't wait to see how Bond and Tuffey get on and am full of optimism for this tour.

Can't wait!

• No featured comments at the moment.

• Lucas_Pallesano on July 7, 2009, 2:33 GMT