Glamorgan v Surrey, Clydesdale Bank 40, Cardiff May 21, 2010

Schofield guides Surrey home

Surrey 227 for 8 beat Glamorgan 223 for 8 by 2 wickets

A Chris Schofield half-century guided Surrey to a two-wicket win over Glamorgan in their Clydesdale Bank 40 Group A game under the Swalec Stadium floodlights. Surrey were set 224 to win but looked in trouble until Schofield and Gareth Batty rescued their side from 126 for 6 in the 26th over with a 53-run partnership.

Schofield, who scored 64 from 55 balls, still lost Batty, who needed a runner, and then Chris Tremlett, but kept his head and was there at the end as Surrey sealed their third 40-over victory with seven balls remaining to move into second place in Group A.

It condemned Glamorgan to another disappointing defeat after they went down to the Unicorns last weekend. After Glamorgan won the toss Mark Cosgrove and Tom Maynard hit half-centuries in their side's 223 for 8.

Cosgrove and Jim Allenby gave their side a very useful platform putting on 88 for the first wicket in 13 overs but they then lost wickets at regular intervals until Maynard steadied the ship. Cosgrove was particularly impressive especially when he drove Andre Nel for a big six over long off. The left handed Australian reached 50 from 46 balls as the hosts moved to 75 for 0.

Glamorgan's slide began when Batty had Allenby caught off a top edge attempting a slog sweep, and captain Jamie Dalrymple perished when he was stumped by wicket-keeper Wilson off a Schofield wide as the spinners made their mark.

And 95 for 2 soon became 105 for 3 when Surrey claimed the crucial wicket of Cosgrove, who was bowled trying to give Batty the charge. Surrey's fightback continued as Ben Wright holed out to long on off spinner Matthew Spriegel.

Maynard put on 26 with Mark Wallace, who became Wilson's second stumping victim after the batsman was beaten by a Batty ball which turned. And Maynard went to a 50-ball half century before he and David Brown were both out caught during the batting power play.

In reply captain Rory Hamilton-Brown made a positive start but was well caught by David Brown diving at mid-on off Huw Waters. Apart from a 42-run partnership between Ramprakash and Afzaal, who came together after Stewart Walters went leg before to Brown, wickets fell at regular intervals.

Owen had Afzaal well caught at slip by Allenby attempting a flashing drive before Ramprakash gloved a short ball behind. And the Surrey misery continued when Spriegel was run out backing up and Gary Wilson was stumped off a legside wide.

At that stage Glamorgan were slight favourites but when Surrey took the batting power play quite early Schofield plundered a six and a four off consecutive Chris Ashling deliveries and he did not look back as he saw the visitors home.