Leicestershire v Glamorgan, Grace Road, 2nd day May 25, 2010

Leicestershire collapse after McDonald blow

Leicestershire 291 and 45 for 5 v Glamorgan 166

Leicestershire were left reeling as Glamorgan staged a dramatic fightback at Grace Road and overseas star Andrew McDonald was summoned to Australia to play against Sri Lanka A next month. McDonald, 29, will now miss 10 of Leicestershire's 16 Twenty20 cup matches, plus an County Championship game against Worcestershire.

The allrounder's call-up came on the day he made 113 out of Leicestershire's total of 291, and then took one for 14 in seven overs of impressive swing bowling as Glamorgan were skittled out for 166. However, the visitors dragged themselves right back into the game as they sent Leicestershire crashing to 45 for 5 in their second innings, a lead of 170.

Seventeen wickets fell for 239 runs during the day and leaves the outcome of the game in the balance. David Harrison and James Harris took four wickets between them in just two overs as Leicestershire slumped to 17 for 4, with only James Taylor reaching double figures.

McDonald's inclusion in the Australia A squad for two four-day games and four one-day matches against Sri Lanka took Leicestershire by surprise and chief executive David Smith said: "It is a massive blow to us but we will not be bringing in a replacement for the Twenty20.''

McDonald, who resumed on 86 not out, reached his first century for Leicestershire when he edged Will Owen to fine leg for his 10th boundary in a 179-ball innings. He struck two more fours before providing a catch to wicketkeeper Mark Wallace chasing a wide delivery from Harrison. That gave Harrison figures of four for 71, with Harris taking three for 74.

But with the ball swinging prodigiously and the pitch showing signs of variable bounce, Leicestershire's attack fared even better. Gareth Rees and Mark Cosgrove shared an opening stand of 41, which proved to be the biggest partnership of the day's play. Rees was first to go and after that it became a procession.

Matthew Hoggard bowled superbly to claim 4 for 32, left-arm seamer Harry Gurney took 2 for 33 and left-arm spinner Claude Henderson picked up two late wickets for eight runs in six overs. Wallace top scored for Glamorgan with 36 off 65 balls, and with a lead of 125 the home side looked in a healthy position.

But their second innings fell apart in alarming fashion with Matt Boyce, Paul Nixon, Tom New and McDonald all being dismissed in the space of two overs by Harrison and Harris. James Allenby then trapped Joshua Cobb lbw just before the close.