Glamorgan v Surrey, Cardiff, 2nd day May 30, 2010

Mark Cosgrove and Gareth Rees drive Glamorgan

Glamorgan 363 for 8 v Surrey

Glamorgan's in-form openers Mark Cosgrove and Gareth Rees laid the foundations of a competitive first innings total on the second day of their County Championship clash against Surrey at the Swalec Stadium.

And after a mid-innings wobble Mark Wallace and James Harris followed Cosgrove and Rees to a century stand for the seventh wicket as Glamorgan finished on 363 for 8, after being put in by Surrey captain Rory Hamilton-Brown.

Resuming on 19 without loss, after only eight overs were possible on the opening day because of rain, the Glamorgan openers continued where they had left off at Leicestershire last week where they completed an unbeaten stand of 198 to secure the Welsh county's fourth consecutive Division Two victory.

Cosgrove was given lives on 18 and 21 when he was dropped at mid-off by Jade Dernbach and at slip by Gareth Batty respectively. Though Cosgrove rode his luck he also impressed reaching a 74-ball half century by smashing Stuart Meaker through the covers for four, breaking his bat handle in the process, and then he struck offspinner Gareth Batty into the sight screen at the River End.

But just when he was eying a second-consecutive century he was bowled by Meaker attempting to drive, ending a 135-run opening partnership in 32.1 overs. And in the last over before lunch Meaker broke through again as captain Jamie Dalrymple was bowled via an inside edge.

Glamorgan went to the interval at 153 for 2 before Rees, who went to a 115-ball half century, and Ben Wright took their side to 200 at four runs an over. But after that the home side's innings suffered a slump as they slipped from 204 for 2 to 247 for 6 shortly before tea.

Wright edged a lifting delivery from Dernbach to Batty at first slip, Tom Maynard edged the same bowler attempting a rash attacking shot and Rees was also caught behind, ending his 170-ball innings. Seven overs before tea Jim Allenby became wicket-keeper Steve Davies' third victim before Wallace and Harris rejuvenated the flagging innings, guiding Glamorgan to a fourth batting point.

Harris was just one run shy of his first half century of the season when he was caught down the legside off Dernbach as Glamorgan reached 354 for 7, ending a-107 run partnership in 35 overs. From the last ball of the day Wallace was caught behind off Dernbach, who ended the day with fine figures of 4 for 76.