Surrey v Somerset, Clydesdale Bank 40, The Oval July 25, 2010

Trescothick cameo sets up crushing win

Somerset 303 for 5 beat Surrey 209 by 94 runs

A Marcus Trescothick cameo helped Somerset maintain their 100% record in this season's Clydesdale Bank 40 with a crushing 94-run victory over Surrey to stay top of Group A after six matches.

Batting first on a magnificent pitch at The Oval, the Sabres posted a massive 303 for five thanks to a whirlwind 69 off 47 balls from Trescothick and a stand of 145 in 19 overs between Zander de Bruyn and James Hildreth - a Somerset record for the fourth wicket in one-day cricket against Surrey.

Trescothick was in blistering form, hitting seven fours in the space of eight deliveries at one point, as the visitors raced to 97 without loss inside 12 overs. Craig Kieswetter, who was forced to play second fiddle to Trescothick, was the first man to go when Gareth Batty had him caught at long-on for 21. Two balls later, Trescothick top-edged Matthew Spriegel to deep backward square.

After Nick Compton was stumped off a wide in the 19th over, De Bruyn and Hildreth put their side in a commanding position without taking any obvious risks. De Bruyn, whose fifty came off 53 deliveries, lifted Jade Dernbach over wide long-on for sixes in the 33rd and 37th overs. At the other end, Hildreth, playing the reverse sweep to perfection, went to a 47-ball half-century in the 35th.

Having taken the batting powerplay at the start of the 32nd over, 102 runs came off the last nine overs of the Somerset innings. Hildreth made 68 before deflecting Chris Tremlett straight to Mark Ramprakash at short fine leg. In the next over, De Bruyn lost his off stump attempting to paddle sweep Tim Linley. The South African finished with 89 off 78 balls, including seven fours and two sixes.

Peter Trego and Jos Butler then took their side past 300 with an unbeaten partnership of 24 in just 10 deliveries for the sixth wicket. Surrey lost Rory Hamilton-Brown in the first over of their reply, when the Lions' skipper lobbed a catch to mid-off off the bowling of Alfonso Thomas. Five overs later, Steven Davies went for 25, caught low down at mid-on off Trego.

Jason Roy had a let-off when he chopped a no-ball from De Bruyn onto his stumps in the seventh over. The resulting free-hit disappeared over long-on. But, four overs later, the 19-year-old, sweeping, was caught on the square-leg boundary.

A leaden sky prompted the use of the floodlights. But Surrey's hopes of pulling off a grandstand finish were extinguished when Murali Kartik had Ramprakash caught at long-on for 42 and Stewart Walters taken behind by Kieswetter for a first-ball duck to make it 110 for five with 22 overs remaining. Spriegel contributed a valiant 53 from 59 balls as Surrey were dismissed for 209, with Kartik taking three for 40.