Glamorgan v Worcestershire, Colwyn Bay, 2nd day August 10, 2010

In-form Mitchell leads Worcestershire fightback

Worcestershire 281 for 6 v Glamorgan 369

Daryl Mitchell struck his third consecutive century to lead a Worcestershire fightback on the second day of their County Championship match against Glamorgan at Colwyn Bay.

The 26-year-old opener followed up back-to-back centuries in the win at Gloucestershire last week to become the first Worcestershire batsman to score three centuries on the bounce since Ben Smith achieved the feat in 2005. By the close Worcestershire were 281 for six in their first innings, 88 behind Glamorgan, with Mitchell unbeaten on 136 having batted for nearly five hours.

Having resumed on 319 for nine, Glamorgan's 10th wicket pair, Dean Cosker and Huw Waters, scored some valuable runs during the first hour of the second morning, frustrating the Worcestershire bowling attack. The tail-enders accrued 51 for the final wicket guiding the Welshmen to 369 all out.

Cosker finished on 41 not out after more than two hours in the middle. He straight drove Matt Mason, who was looking for his 300th first-class wicket, to register a fourth batting point before twice pulling Richard Jones for four. But three minutes before midday Waters was bowled by Shakib Al Hasan, the Bangladesh slow left armer, for 10.

It left Worcestershire needing to make 220 to avoid the follow-on, and they appeared to be struggling to reach that when they were reduced to 38 for 3 either side of lunch. Worcestershire were immediately in trouble when Robert Croft, with his fifth ball of the match, had David Wheeldon caught at slip in the fifth over by Jamie Dalrymple via the shoulder of the bat.

Cosker's useful morning continued as he struck with his first ball to have Vikram Solanki leg before after he was struck on the back pad in what was the last over before lunch, although there was still time for Moeen Ali to hit Cosker for a four and a straight six before the interval. But that proved to be the briefest of cameos as he was out from the second ball after lunch, adjudged leg before by umpire Nigel Long off David Harrison.

Any hopes Glamorgan had of making further inroads were dashed by Mitchell and Kervezee, who shared in a 145-run alliance for the fourth wicket in 38 overs. Despite coming in nearly an hour after Mitchell, Kervezee was the quicker man to his 50, taking 75 balls with four fours.

Mitchell was much more circumspect, going to the landmark from 104 balls in two hours 25 minutes at the crease. Desperate for a breakthrough Jim Allenby had Kervezee well caught at extra cover by Tom Maynard for 72 to reduce Worcestershire to 183 for 4.

Mitchell went to his 100 from 178 balls in just over four hours, but before the close he lost Al Hasan, who had shared in a partnership of 92 before being caught by Maynard off Waters, and James Cameron, who was lbw to Croft.