Leicestershire v Surrey, Grace Road, 2nd day August 25, 2010

Davidson's fate in hands of Leicestershire board

George Dobell at Grace Road

Leicestershire 32 for 0 v Surrey 483

Neil Davidson's future as Leicestershire chairman could be decided within the next 24 hours. All five members of the Leicestershire CCC board, with the exception of Davidson, will meet on Thursday to discuss the contents of a letter signed by the club's captain and coach (Matthew Hoggard and Tim Boon respectively) demanding the immediate removal of the chairman. The board are expected to release a statement clarifying their position shortly afterwards.

The letter, which claims to represent the views of the entire playing staff, the coaches, groundstaff and club's administration department, asks Davidson to resign immediately or for the board to dismiss him. It also highlights a number of grievances against him.

While Davidson is currently on holiday in Italy, two other members of the board have returned from their own holidays to attend. Meanwhile a members' petition calling for a Special General Meeting will be presented to the club on Tuesday. At the meeting, the members intend to call a vote of no confidence in Davidson and the board.

Davidson has previously stated that he would step down if he didn't feel he had the support of the board and the members. Early indications suggest that the board is split on the issue, though Davidson may not be able to survive without anything other than their unequivocal backing.

Meanwhile, on the pitch, Gary Wilson resumed on 94 and soon recorded his maiden first-class hundred. The 24-year-old from Northern Ireland, who made his maiden ODI century for Ireland against the Netherlands last week, carved his 13th boundary over point to reach his chanceless century from 207 balls. He fell shortly afterwards, slicing a drive to point.

The most impressive batting of the day, however, came from 20-year-old debutant Jason Roy. He became the first Surrey man to score a Twenty20 century when he thrashed 100 from 56 balls against Kent earlier this season, and here hit three sixes and nine fours in his 76 from just 65 balls. One of the sixes, a lofted on-drive off the left-arm spin of Claude Henderson, cleared The Cricketers pub.

Clearly blessed with remarkable self-confidence, Roy demonstrated a powerful whip off his legs and a willingness to hit over the top off seamers and spinners alike. Medium-pacer Wayne White, who has endured a tough game so far, was particularly severely punished, with one length ball smashed back over his head for six.

Had his Surrey team-mates not collapsed so quickly, Roy may even have recorded a century before lunch. The last four wickets fell for the addition of just seven runs, however, with Gareth Batty miscuing to mid-wicket, Chris Tremlett edging an indeterminate prod and Jade Dernbach slicing a wild swing to slip. Roy was last man out, caught on the long-off fence, looking for his fourth six to provide Henderson with his 50th wicket of the Championship season.

Earlier Mark Ramprakash fell without addition to his overnight score. In a rare moment of fallibility, he left a straight one from Hoggard that sent his off stump cartwheeling. Only 12.2 overs of Leicestershire's reply were possible before rain intervened. Tremlett, watched by national selector Geoff Miller, beat the bat several times, but Leicestershire survived without loss and will resume on the third day requiring 334 just to avoid the follow-on.