County news September 13, 2010

Collymore leaves Sussex for Middlesex

Cricinfo staff

Corey Collymore, the former West Indies seamer, is set to leave Sussex and move up to Middlesex at the end of the season to be closer to his family.

Collymore, 32, joined Sussex as a Kolpak player in 2008 after his international career faded, and has been a pivotal part of their side since then. He has spearheaded Sussex's drive to the the Division Two championship this summer as the club's leading leading wicket taker with 57 scalps at 19.87. Despite his success, he wants to support his partner who is looking to complete her accountancy qualification in London.

"I'm obviously disappointed to be leaving Sussex but I feel it is the best decision for me and my family," he said. "I'm fortunate to have played for a very successful club over the last few years. The atmosphere has been great and I have many friends here at Hove. Everything has been tremendous, and I couldn't have asked for any more from the club."

His arrival at Lord's is a major boon for Middlesex who have struggled this year with Steven Finn on England duty and overseas signing Iain O'Brien missing large parts of the season through injury. Whether Collymore is supported by O'Brien next year is out of Middlesex's hands as the club waits for the ECB to decide if he can be classed as a home player rather than an overseas. If not then O'Brien will be looking for a new county because Middlesex have secured the services of Australian opener Chris Rogers.

Sussex, who will be in Division One next season, are now in need of another seamer but coach Mark Robinson bared no resentment for Collymore's decision.

"Corey has been an integral part of our attack for the last three years in four-day cricket, and at times he has carried our bowling unit this season and been a constant threat all year," he said. "It is sad when anyone leaves the club but we respect Corey's desire to be closer to his family."