|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Shop||Mobile|
Harrogate, EnglandHarrogate Cricket Club, The Pavilion, St George's Cricket Ground, St George's Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire. (Phone: 01423 561301)
This has been the home Harrogate CC since 1877 and five years later it staged its first first-class match when an England XI played the touring Australians (believed to be the first first-class game to start on a Saturday). In 1894 Yorkshire staged their first Championship fixture, and they continued to play there regularly until 1996 when the fixture list was almost exlusively centred on Headingley. Between 1974 and 1996 an annual Harrogate festival was held. In 1904 the ground was at the centre of controversy when the game against Kent was abandoned after the pitch was interfered with overnight - this was not the first time such an occurrence was reported. The best attendance was 15,000 who attended an India-Pakistan charity match in 1996 - Yorkshire's best was 13,630 for the match against Glamorgan in 1962.
The main pavilion which dominates the ground was built in 1896 and further additions were made in 1956 (the Mound Stand) and 1965 (the Tavern). In 1936 Harrogate CC were in financial difficulties and the ground was bought by the city corporation, who still own the venue. Harrogate CC, who reached the final of the National Club Knockout in 1998, still play on the ground. In 2005 Bradford/Leeds UCCE started playing matches at Harrogate following the decision to vacate Bradford Park Avenue.