Australia news

Michael Hussey out of England tour

ESPNcricinfo staff

June 10, 2012

Michael Hussey congratulates Peter Forrest on his first ODI hundred, Australia v Sri Lanka, CB Series, Hobart, February 24, 2012
Michael Hussey's place has been given to Peter Forrest (right) © Getty Images

Michael Hussey has been allowed to skip Australia's tour of Ireland and England in June and July to be with his family after the premature birth of his child. Cricket Australia said he will be replaced by Queensland batsman Peter Forrest in the 15-man squad.

"Due to our baby being born three months early, it is important for the family for me to be here at this time," Hussey said. "It is always difficult to miss any tour for Australia and I thank CA for their understanding of our family's situation."

Forrest, who has played 11 ODIs so far, had been named as the stand-by player when the squad was named in May. He will now be part of the touring party that leaves Australia on June 14.

The Australians will play Leicestershire in a tour game on June 21 before taking on Ireland in a one-off ODI in Stormont on June 23. After another tour game against Essex, Australia will play England at Lord's on June 29 in the first of five ODIs.

Posted by pom_don on (June 13, 2012, 7:23 GMT)

@zenboomerang Slip of the digit it should have read 2012

Posted by zenboomerang on (June 13, 2012, 5:53 GMT)

@pom_don :- "look at your own record against windies last year"... Ummm, we didn't play against the WI's last year, not even in the ODI WC...

Posted by pom_don on (June 12, 2012, 13:55 GMT)

@ RandyOz......look at your own record against windies last year you lot hardly trampled them underfoot did you?

Posted by pom_don on (June 12, 2012, 13:49 GMT)

@RandyOz Don't count your chickens mate or put your mouth in gear too soon (as you seem to have a habit of doing) don't forget England rolled you over for 98 in an innings in 2010 & Pakistan for 88 in 2010 & SA for 47 in 2011 hardly an upward spiral.

Posted by MattyP1979 on (June 12, 2012, 0:01 GMT)

Hussey is a fine player and have always liked him, a big blow for Aus. Trouble with Aus seems to be the replacements which at present don't seem to be of the same calibur as the old guard. Hope everything goes well at home. Come Ashes next year he is a must for Aus to avoid embarrasment.

Posted by Meety on (June 11, 2012, 12:11 GMT)

@Hyclass - no arguements on this thread from me. I would say that whilst I am now luke-warm on Forrest, I think his only real problem atm in ODIs, is he isn't looking to rotate the strike, he has no milking shots. He looked good, but not effective enough & (like you), would like to see him boost his FC stats before he'd get a run in Tests. As for Voges v Ferguson, I'd be happy with either, I prefer Ferguson marginally - but both have top ODI stats & would do the job IMO. I would say they are better like for like replacements than Hughes would be & I definately think he needs time away to get back to his base game. Regarding Rogers, I have been inching back towards him over the last 6mths. He has the County experience & I think he would does deserve another shot. Re: D Hussey, I've been hot & cold on him for ages. I have a feeling though now, he is ready (weird thing to say about a bloke who has a gazillion FC runs). He looks comfortable in ODIs & I think he won't be overawed in Tests!

Posted by derpherp on (June 11, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

@Gilliana lol Huss is in fine form, we will definitively see more of him in the future

Posted by unregisteredalien on (June 11, 2012, 11:17 GMT)

Oops, when I said Chris Rogers I actually meant Adam Voges! I plead a long day in the hot sun and the off-season for the mix-up. Sorry. I stand by what I said about Hughes, which was not that he has no talent and promise but that he's burnt the selectors (and, by extension, himself) a couple of times now at international level, and it's in everyone's interest to wait for a sustained run of form (a year plus) rather than picking him again on the back of a couple of big scores. His eye's obviously in right now. His technique?...

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 11, 2012, 9:19 GMT)

With the fabled English depth, that the English fans keep harping on about, allowing the world record score for a number 11 batsman and 3rd highest 11th wicket partnership of all time, we could send a pack of galahs over there and still get the job done.

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (June 11, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

@hhillbumper... you are right, and it is a series that can only have been thought up by an accountant... Eng played oz last year with 7 odis (!), and they are playing them again next year TWICE with 10 odis, then 5 odis in Jan 2015 and 5 more odis in Aug 2015... So why do we need 5 more this year? I make that 32 Eng v Oz odis alone in 4 years, never mind tests & T20s!... Its just madness

Posted by hyclass on (June 11, 2012, 7:32 GMT)

@Meety...I mentioned Voges in a post that for some reason,doesnt seem to have been put up here.He's in England and in reasonable form.His record for Australia in ODi is excellent and more importantly,his strike rate is superb.I'd certainly have him in before Ferguson.I think Hughes will recover and go on to demonstrate my strong belief that he is the one a generation player that has been MIA. I'd also like to see sanity prevail and Rogers open in place of Cowans and David Hussey come in for Watson.A batting lineup in Tests that reads,Warner,Rogers,Ponting,Clarke,David Hussey and Mike Hussey makes better sense and has real substance.Watson is neither a stock nor a strike bowler and is incapable of bowling more overs without injury. He also lacks the critical element of stamina and is incapable of playing an inning of substance at the top of the order.Forrest has already been highly complicit in the loss of a ODI by slow scoring.Nothing in his record suggests the capacity to adapt.

Posted by hyclass on (June 11, 2012, 7:19 GMT)

@Meety..with respect to Huss and Boll,they were definitely both ordered to stay and play both the IPL finals by CA. Bollinger was then ordered to play the state game against WA and then come across for the Test,all in the space of 7 days.Those who suggested his issues were self made or fitness related owe him an apology.No player would have succeeded under those circumstances.The behaviour of CA over the last 5 years has been infamous.Bollinger was just one of many.I also tend to agree with you regarding Hughes.I dont see his game recovering while he is anywhere near this Australian setup.I was concerned to see that,though he thrived in 2 x40 over games for Worcs,he was caught behind in both innings of his County game.I reviewed his career 1st class dismissals up to the England Lions game in '09 where he was forced to change his game and approach after his previous incredible success.Caught behind or in slip was a rarity.I havent seen his current game,but his original game was peerless

Posted by zenboomerang on (June 11, 2012, 6:53 GMT)

Still worried that CA doesn't take ODI's seriously... Forrest wasn't a standout OD player last summer with one of the lowest SR's in the Ryobi Cup & both his ODI & List A records show this - so why give him international experience in ODI's... Would prefer Klinger, Cooper, Burns who are on the Aust A tour as well or Hughes playing County...

Posted by zenboomerang on (June 11, 2012, 6:52 GMT)

Condolences Mr & Mrs Cricket... Tough time for a young family & I am sure that Mike being home at this time will help greatly...

Posted by zenboomerang on (June 11, 2012, 6:51 GMT)

@RightArmEverything... Mixing up OD & FC stats is meaningless... So Forrest was 8th in FC last season, but 35th in Ryobi Cup... Still can't see why he was picked for ODI duty for Oz...

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (June 11, 2012, 4:06 GMT)

This is a 6 ODI tour - no tests. One ODI is against Ireland then 5 against England. It isn't the Ashes - it is a meaningless ODI only tour. Hussey is right to miss it. Peter Forrest is a solid batsman but so far he has been very defensive in ODIs and doesn't look suited to the format. I wonder if Usman Khawaja would have been a better choice - to see if he is better suited to this format than to tests. For Forrest, all I can see is that if he fails, as expected, he will never play ODIs again, while if he succeeds then we won't know what to do. It is a negative choice and I don't like it.

Posted by satish619chandar on (June 11, 2012, 3:44 GMT)

Family always comes first. And, considering the FACT that bilateral ODIs are losing their importance, it is better to be with family than playing meaningless bilateral series.. Wish 3/4 teams always groups and plays tournament rather than the bilateral tournaments..

Posted by rajasekarsn on (June 11, 2012, 3:28 GMT)

Best wishes for ur baby!!!

Posted by joseyesu on (June 11, 2012, 3:14 GMT)

Aus is going to miss Huss for sure and it is also a right opportunity for somebody else to take the huge responsibility. My best wishes to Huss - Mr.Cricket

Posted by Meety on (June 11, 2012, 1:31 GMT)

@popcorn - I agree with @Something_Witty. At the time it did appear that Huss & Boll were choosing their IPL franchise (in the Champ League), over Tests. I couldn't believe that'd be something Huss would do. It was later revealed that they were instructed/encouraged to play, probably as Cric Oz is a 1/4 share owner & wanted to enhance the "value" of the competition. The other thing is, that Test series in India was suppose to be a bilateral ODI series, which Cric Oz agreed to change into a 2-test, 3ODI series, a decision that IMO is the worst made in 20+ years as it handed home advantage for the Ashes away. == == == @Hyclass - I used to think that Hughes was NOT a short form player, but he has shown consistancy of high level over the last 12mths in that format. I am happy he was not selected (for the time being), I think he has bigger fish to fry (IMO)! Also - I would say Ferguson or Voges would be a better like for like replacement for Hussey than Hughes or Forrest.

Posted by HadleeCrowe on (June 11, 2012, 1:19 GMT)

why r they playin the one-dayers at tall???? who cares??? 5 meaningless one-dayers when everyone is whingeing about too much cricket

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 1:04 GMT)

Australia should use Phil Hughes in odi's as he is a naturally attacking batsmen and his technique Is more suited than test cricket. Peter Forrest should be used in the tests and not odi's.

Posted by srriaj317 on (June 10, 2012, 23:08 GMT)

@RightArmEverything: No one is denying Peter Forrest's ability but we have to acknowledge that it was his FC performance which was impressive and his performance during the CB series showed that he is more suited for the longer format rather than limited overs. I would hate to put down a match lost due to 1 player but most of the world saw that his slow century against SL cost Aus that ODI. I wouldn't mind seeing Forrest play tests but in ODIs, there are a host of more useful cricketers like Hughes, Christian, M.Marsh, Smith etc.

Posted by xylo on (June 10, 2012, 18:57 GMT)

I hope all is well with Hussey's kid!

Posted by hhillbumper on (June 10, 2012, 17:19 GMT)

To be fair who ever gets picked aint going to make much difference.England tend not to give a damn for 1 dayers so lets see what happens

Posted by bmoizuddin on (June 10, 2012, 17:04 GMT)

its a good decision to be with a family when then need u most... but as from fan's point of view everyone will miss u... since u are good person - dont u worry all will be OK with u and ur new kid..... LOTS BEST WISHES AND GOODLUCK...

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 17:04 GMT)

Best Wishes 4 His Baby , He Needs 2 Give Time 2 His Family As well.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 17:03 GMT)

Family is always important than some cricket series

Posted by mukesh_LOVE.cricket on (June 10, 2012, 16:21 GMT)

Family is always important than some cricket series , hope everything turns out okay for mr cricket and his baby , all the best man

Posted by Something_Witty on (June 10, 2012, 15:46 GMT)

@popcorn, You are mistaken my friend. Hussey practically begged CA to let him go over and prepare for the India tour, but CA insisted that he participate. (I think it was the champions league, not the IPL). He did everything right, if you want to blame someone, blame CA.

Posted by ozziefan08 on (June 10, 2012, 15:09 GMT)

I cant understand why people are calling for Chris Rogers. He is almost 35 and has a List A average of 35.71 with 4 hundreds form 142 games. He will never get picked at that age. Talk about some real prospects. BTW great to see Hughes getting One Day runs can only do wonders for his confidence

Posted by cool2cool on (June 10, 2012, 14:23 GMT)

During the 2011 WC, when all the Indian players said that they are playing for Sachin and want to win a WC for him, Steve Waugh's comment was something like, "This is not right, no player is greater than the game". How can Steve says nothing when all call Mike Hussey "Mr. Cricket"? Just a note though, I am a big fan of Mike Hussey and wish good luck to him.

Posted by RightArmEverything on (June 10, 2012, 13:58 GMT)

When Forrest was first selected for the ODI team I seem to remember the selectors liked was an ability to score on difficult wickets. Clearly the selectors are looking at more than just his statistics. But even his recent stats are pretty impressive despite what some people have posted. In 2011/12 Shield season he averaged 58 (7th highest in the comp). He was ranked 11th for total runs but played only 6 matches (2-5 fewer than all those ahead of him). In these 6 matches he scored 3 tons and a fifty. His strike rate was about 54 and was higher than 8 of the 10 batsmen ahead of him in the runs tally. In his 11 ODIs, his strike rate is a bit low (68) but he's scored a ton and 3 fifties, and scored important runs that set up victories. He was a back up for the West Indies tour, so already close to selection. So not sure why anyone should be surprised by his selection or think it is not deserved. Probably they just can't get over their favourite player not being selected.

Posted by AnandVaidyanathan on (June 10, 2012, 13:10 GMT)

Mr.Cricket, it is your baby. He or she will fightback the premature birth. Our prayers are there for you and your family.

Posted by Gilliana on (June 10, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

Will not be surprised if this is the last we see of him.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 12:37 GMT)

you would think of chris rogers cause he would know the english conditions more than any other player cause he always plays over there

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (June 10, 2012, 12:36 GMT)

It's O.K. If a number 11 for WI can almost score a ton against England, Hussey can be replaced by the Aussie janitor and probably still make a good impact...

Posted by hyclass on (June 10, 2012, 12:31 GMT)

@unregisteredalien...to those touting Hughes,there can be no doubt that you are correct.Hughes is a once in a generation player and the best talent I've seen since Ponting. Before the '09 Ashes tour,he had a Steve Waugh Medal,Bradman Medal,Shield Cricketer of the Year and several records in Wisden that still stand.He possessed a 1st class and Test average in the 60s and a comparable S/R. He had just completed almost 600 runs in 3 games for Middlesex and had over 1690 runs in his previous 10 matches at 96,including 8 centuries.The idea that Harmison found him out is right up there with the tooth fairy. Harmison still provokes mirth and ridicule among his own supporters and retains a mediocre record. One would hardly describe him as accurate or capable of executing plans. Hughes was instructed by Nielsen to change his game before the Lions game.DeCosta refereed to it in an article on this site.Nielsen had penned Watson in as opener but had no way to drop Hughes.Its behind all his failing

Posted by Behind_the_bowlers_arm on (June 10, 2012, 11:55 GMT)

All the best to Mr Cricket and Baby Cricket and hope all works out for the best. Presuming the selectors see Forrest as next in line for Tests and want to give him extra English experience along with the two Aust A matches that follow the ODI's. Im fairly indifferent to the result of these ODI's and more interested in some of the squad getting additional experience. In the ODI and Aust A squads this a very important tour for the likes of Cowan, Warner, Wade, Forrest, Cummins, Pattinson, Lyon etc.

Posted by landl47 on (June 10, 2012, 11:37 GMT)

@ballonbat- what a strange post. Did you really expect him to say that he doesn't care about playing for Australia? What he said was that playing for Australia is important, but being with his family is more important at this time. That's EXACTLY what I would have expected him to say. Hopefully everything goes well for him and his family. He's one of cricket's nicest guys. I wish him, his wife and baby nothing but the best.

Posted by indicricket on (June 10, 2012, 11:37 GMT)

@Mohid Khand- It is between him, his family, Aus cricket fans and the Aus board. Sniff...sniff...Do I smell some IPL envy. In fact I myself much care for T20 or the IPL.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 11:31 GMT)

@Mohid khan:...ur funny mate!

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 11:22 GMT)

hey bt there no cameron white that sucks

Posted by tasliskr on (June 10, 2012, 11:17 GMT)

we need an anchorman like clarke........for me voges would be a good choice

Posted by tasliskr on (June 10, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

actually we need an anchorman in hussey's position....more like clarke

Posted by hyclass on (June 10, 2012, 11:12 GMT)

Forrest? Another jaw dropping selection. I opposed his selection on run rate alone. His average is also unacceptable at any level.His record suggests that he is fortunate to get a game for his state. He is even more poorly performed than Marsh,whose selection I also opposed. There can be no justification for his inclusion. Nor has he played a game for 2 months. It is the same willfull vandalism of the traditional formats by selection and appointment that has endured for the last 5 years under the continuing tutelage of Sutherland and cohorts. Not one of the changes that the Argus Review recommended has been implemented to any effect. I maintain that the sole purpose of such behaviour is to undermine results and diminish the crowds and popularity of traditional formats to further push the T20 brand. I sincerely hoped that with Rod Marsh in the setup,that reason would return. The evidence here is that it hasn't.@Jimmy_Jim and @Tomek are instantly able to name a better player.. Selectors?

Posted by popcorn on (June 10, 2012, 11:04 GMT)

I have a lot of respct for Mike Hussey, but he (and Doug Bollinger) opted to play IPL instead of preparing for the India Test Tour a couple of years ago. Result: Australia fared poorly.If Mike Hussey's logic is that he needs time with hisfamily,there was no need fore him to run after IPL money soon after the West Indies Tour. Club or Country,Huss?

Posted by unregisteredalien on (June 10, 2012, 10:53 GMT)

jonesy2, my countryman, yikes! Marsh and Ferguson are miles wide of the mark right now. I'm also surprised you're not tooting Mitch Marsh's horn any more. To those saying Hughes, the selectors are going to twice bitten thrice shy, and rightly so. I'd take Chris Rogers over any of that lot at present, but I suppose they want to persist with Forrest for a while and I have no major issue with that.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

why didnt he opt out of ip to spend time with his family

Posted by RednWhiteArmy on (June 10, 2012, 10:01 GMT)

The aussies are lucky they are not playing a test series against England without him. They havent won a ashes series in England for over a decade so this would be the last thing they need.

Posted by kickittome70 on (June 10, 2012, 9:54 GMT)

My best wishes to Huss and his family - he deserves the break and it will be interesting to see how we go without his consistent contribution

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 9:37 GMT)

u will be missed mr.cricket

Posted by Tomek on (June 10, 2012, 9:22 GMT)

I appreciate the situation M.Hussey is in, and cricket is backburner at best.

Regarding the selection of Forrest I think it is a particularly poor one. His stats at all levels so far are underwhelming. If this was a low grade tour then take him along, but it's England. Take the best you have got and there are better cricketers than P.Forrest by some margin. Phil Hughes has much better ODD stats and is already in England, maybe playing first drop or even at 4-5 might mean less early nicks and more of his dominance.

I would say this is another case of NSW players having an extra 10 runs added to all their stats, but then he's not a blue blood originally.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 9:22 GMT)

good luck huss,yr baby will do better in years to come.but we will struggle withot y huss,specially against pommies.

Posted by Jimmy_Jim on (June 10, 2012, 9:10 GMT)

Forest? Really. What about all the people that had great List A seasons, and Philip Hughes who is smashing it in England at the moment?

Posted by Meety on (June 10, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

@ jeauxx - good point. == == == Best of luck Mr Cricket, nothing is more important when dealing with a significant premmature birth. I know from experience.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 8:31 GMT)

Congratulations to Mike hussey! Best of luck to u and ur family!

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

HOpe everything is ok Hussey. Prayers and thoughts with your baby. Hope he/she is doing fine.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (June 10, 2012, 8:23 GMT)

Hope his baby is ok, cricket means nothing compared to the life of one's family.

Posted by Ragav999 on (June 10, 2012, 7:59 GMT)

Best wishes to Michael Hussey and his family!!!

Posted by Big-Dog on (June 10, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

Family must come first. I guess Forrest is the logical replacement given that Marsh & Fergusen are badly out of form.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 7:11 GMT)

All the best to Mr.Cricket who is my favorite player and one of the best player for all times... Happy family life... and good move to skip serious for baby. and i think forrret not a bad movie according to his current form... but i wont say it was excellent.

Posted by None_for on (June 10, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

ballonbat, what's more important? What he has done or what he has said. Regardless of how inhumane his statement seemed to you, he's still staying in Australia with his family. Sounds to me like he's got his priorities all sorted.

Posted by jeauxx on (June 10, 2012, 7:02 GMT)

Would've liked to see Phil Hughes considered - 2 centuries in his last 2 ODD innings for Worcestershire, but Forrest is an exciting prospect and has certainly done enough for consideration.

Posted by Min2_cric on (June 10, 2012, 6:55 GMT)

gud gud..every sportsman has d right to backout fr a tour due to family reasons..

Posted by ballonbat on (June 10, 2012, 6:50 GMT)

"it is important for the family for me to be here at this time," Hussey said. "It is always difficult to miss any tour for Australia ..."

I suppose that's why he is called Mr Cricket. A more human response would be "I couldn't possibly be anywhere else other than with my wife and child[ren] right now."

Skewed priorities. These sportsmen need to remember that it is only a game/job. Too often you read about them allowing it to take priority over major personal events like births or deaths.

Posted by Rafelgibt on (June 10, 2012, 6:46 GMT)

Its really a good move from CA to include Forest...........I wish all my best wishes to one of my most favorite player HUSSEY...........

Posted by jonesy2 on (June 10, 2012, 6:41 GMT)

very best of luck to mr cricket and his family. but i cant believe forrest has been included over shaun marsh or callum ferguson

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 6:36 GMT)

Good luck Hussey and best wishes to the health of his child and wife!

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (June 10, 2012, 6:16 GMT)

I will miss Mr. Cricket against england but family first then sports. Keep it up Hussey.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 5:24 GMT)

Shakib Al Hasan and Michael Hussey - Effets of IPL?

Posted by srriaj317 on (June 10, 2012, 5:22 GMT)

Peter Forrest in ODIs again?? Seriously? Why couldn't we have someone useful like Dan Christian instead?

Posted by CricFan78 on (June 10, 2012, 5:15 GMT)

If ECB was managing Hussey they would have forced him to retire from ODIs and T20s ;-)

Tour Results
England v Australia at Manchester - Jul 10, 2012
England won by 7 wickets (with 11 balls remaining) (D/L method)
England v Australia at Chester-le-Street - Jul 7, 2012
England won by 8 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)
England v Australia at Birmingham - Jul 4, 2012
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
England v Australia at The Oval - Jul 1, 2012
England won by 6 wickets (with 26 balls remaining)
England v Australia at Lord's - Jun 29, 2012