Australia in England 2012

Cummins out of England tour

Andrew McGlashan at The Oval

July 1, 2012

Pat Cummins removed Alastair Cook, England v Australia, 1st ODI, Lord's, June 29, 2012
Pat Cummins' England tour is over after he suffered a side strain © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Pat Cummins
Teams: Australia

Pat Cummins, the Australia fast bowler, has been ruled out of the remainder of the one-day series against England after sustaining a side strain during the opening match at Lord's on Friday.

Cummins took 1 for 53 in his 10 overs in the first match, having England captain Alastair Cook caught behind, but pulled up with pain after the game and has been diagnosed with a medium-grade strain.

Australian team doctor John Orchard, said: "Pat sustained an abdominal muscle strain on his left side during the first ODI at Lord's. Whilst he was able to complete his ten overs, he was sore after the game and was scanned, the results of which have revealed a medium grade side-strain. This will keep him out of the remainder of the England tour. His return to cricket will be decided in due course, based on follow-up examinations in Australia."

Cummins will fly home to Australia on Monday and the selectors have decided against calling up a replacement player to the squad. Brett Lee and Clint McKay formed a three-man pace attack at Lord's, while Ben Hilfenhaus, Mitchell Johnson and James Pattinson are the other quicks in the squad.

This tour marked Cummins' return to the international scene following the foot injury he picked up on the tour to South Africa last November, which kept him out of action for the whole of the Australian season. The side strain will put his place on the A-tour to England, which follows the one-day series, in doubt.

Andrew McGlashan is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Andrew McGlashan

Posted by RightArmEverything on (July 4, 2012, 11:06 GMT)

@kitandthat3, I agree. @hyclass, when I read your comments I think of Nick Cave lyrics "Prolix, prolix, nothing a pair of scissors can't fix". I can only imagine discussing cricket with you would be like doing so with C3PO. All about probabilities. Statistics count in this sport, but that is not everything. Would you have kept S Waugh in the test team in the 80s based on his stats? Didn't he get picked after only a small number of FC matches? You would have argued against his selection too I suspect. To select a team based on statistics alone would produce a good team, but not necessarily the best team for the long term. By the way, the Argus Review does state that while players need to earn their place in the team based on performance, selectors intuition is appropriate, although you conveniently forget this when using the review to support your own arguments. How do I find your blog???????

Posted by hyclass on (July 3, 2012, 8:07 GMT)

@katandthat3...Marsh has a batting average well of 27 in Tests and just 36 over 12 years in 1st class cricket.The SL attack he played against was statistically the weakest in international cricket and the pitch he played on,one of the flattest.His Test career progressed exactly as I said it would,well in advance,right down to the same injury in SA and the run of outs.I simply read his career record in entirety,right down to grounds,opponents,number of matches played before injury and results over time.He exactly replicated that in the Test Arena.I only observed it in advance.Cummins has played only 4 1st class matches.When he was selected after 3 matches with 9 wickets at 46 and having just been injured after The Shield Final at such a young age,it seemed reasonable that his body should be allowed to develop strength over time playing 4 day cricket before being asked to play 5 day cricket.To not do so promised further injury.This is his 3rd since the Shield Final,supporting that view.

Posted by Hammond on (July 3, 2012, 8:05 GMT)

I think Pattinson will be expensive in England, and maybe the think tank at CA agrees with this. Not experienced enough yet to challenge the strongest batting line up in world cricket (even without KP!).. Exciting young talent though.

Posted by hyclass on (July 3, 2012, 7:41 GMT)

@katandthat3..Cricket is a professional sport & has every advantage that modern sportsmen,sports science,technology and sports medicine are provided.Information is instantly & plentifully available to the vast support networks that put & keep players on the field.There are no absolutes.Rather there is the scientific use of probability when studying available information.To do otherwise is unprofessional.I suggested in advance,given the available information that it was highly probable that those outcomes would take place.The results vindicated my position.The idea that it was random or an emotional position deceives only you.Each position I have taken is the culmination of considerable research before developing any theories to cover the known facts.I then wait for information that either proves or disproves my position.Its what I expected CA should have been doing.It resulted in Argus.Its what businesses call 'due dilligence'.Cummins,Smith & Forrest are examples of its absence.

Posted by RandyOZ on (July 2, 2012, 23:37 GMT)

Shame for Cummins however there is another speedster in England capable of ripping through the weak England batting lineup. However, Pattinson is not being selected. Arthur and the selectors are killing us.

Posted by katandthat3 on (July 2, 2012, 21:42 GMT)

I would have thought Harris & Marsh were some of our best performers after you wrote that @hyclass, in the tour of Sri Lanka & South Africa. Injuries are going to happen. We don't have large tours with heaps of warm-up games anymore, it's get off the plane and go full on 100% with many back to back games, then get back on a plane. People must forget about Lillie, Thompson, Reid, Fleming, McDermott, Lee etc etc etc getting injured in their time, fast bowling is brutal on the body. Many factors, evey bowlers' body is different and every action is. Age has nothing to do with it, correct me if I'm wrong, did Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis start early. Pat played in the two warm up games so I think they were trying to do everything they could to make sure he was right for the 1st ODI. Even Dernbach has been ruled out with a side strain and he has been playing heaps. It happens. Where's Tremlett been? He's been injured, it's the nature of the sport, they have to learn to manage it better.

Posted by phoenixsteve on (July 2, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

After another resounding England victory it's difficult to assess whether England are so good or is it that Australia are so poor? England are definately on the up but not the Aussies? The Watson diatribe before the start of the Australian cricket lesson was hard to follow - but I guess he was just doing a Pietersen and getting in the news! After all he couldn't really say "well England have a stronger and more dangerous bowling attack and they bat way down with Broad and Swann coming in at 8 & 9" Honesty is not something you get in the bravado before a series! Chin up Aussies your day will come... maybe... in a few years time. In the meantime enjoy being bridesmaids and just be thankful you're at the Wedding! COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Posted by JG2704 on (July 2, 2012, 14:13 GMT)

@Dubious on (July 02 2012, 01:30 AM GMT) To be fair , weren't most of those games vs a very poor India side? Most of our batsmen and bowlers soared the rankings during their tour of England and most have since gone down the rankings. I reckon if Finn had 5 test with 4 being at home in that series vs India Finn would too have a sub 20 average etc. For me Finn looks better than Pattison who I rate below Cummins

Posted by JG2704 on (July 2, 2012, 14:12 GMT)

@phermon on (July 02 2012, 00:09 AM GMT)Sorry , not sure I'm with you. Please explain further. If a guy gets injured a team will usually call up a replacement who I suggested would be Starc for a number of reasons. If this does not answer , please post again

Posted by JG2704 on (July 2, 2012, 14:12 GMT)

@SirViv1973 on (July 01 2012, 21:51 PM GMT) Yes but the difference is with Starc (from Hilf and Pattinson) is that Starc is not in the test set up so they don't have to worry so much about him overdoing it. Agree re batting but maybe they'll come good or maybe they've selected the wrong players. Hughes has looked good over here and guys like Rogers and Voges can play. I know Hughes looked bad in tests but tests and ODIs are 2 different fmts - ref Morgan

Posted by Meety on (July 2, 2012, 11:04 GMT)

@hyclass - so you would not have selected Harris?

Posted by LALITHKURUWITA on (July 2, 2012, 10:51 GMT)

"Watson questions England batting depth" I did not understand what Watson said before the start of the series. Is that Aussies are batting to No 11 or close to it as we we saw in the first 2 ODI's whereas Poms could not bat that far like they bat only upto No 6 or 7? Please somebody explain me. Would it continue in the next 3 ODI's as Watson mentioned?

Posted by hyclass on (July 2, 2012, 10:40 GMT)

@RightArmEverything-Let me help your memory.I wrote about it in many articles including 'Katich Cut From Contact List'-7-June-11-.Here is an excerpt of what I wrote- 11 Nov-11 article-'Cummins Is Going Places' Cummins 2/46 v SA-End of Day 3...'I would be particularly concerned about Cummins injury prospects.He bowled the 2nd last over of the day and his pace was down to 130kph and below,which is unacceptable at this level.Johnson was bowling at 141-145 in the last over.Cummins has played hardly any 1st class cricket and could not at his age have developed the overall physical strength and stamina that Test matches require,despite a solid gym regime.He bowled a significant number of overs in the Shield final while taking his 4 for 148, but was out injured afterwards.That was 4 day cricket,this is 5.The reckless selection policies that have included Harris and Marsh recently are a threat to developing talents.Career records over time,exist to provide intelligent platforms for selection.

Posted by Meety on (July 2, 2012, 9:16 GMT)

@ jmcilhinney - "... I can't see why England wouldn't be favourites to win the next Ashes." - given England are ranked higher than Oz AND the next Ashes is England, then YES, England should be considered favourites. My big concern is that we have another (insert expletive) tour of India in India prior to the Ashes & I think that will be counterproductive. I almost want to send a B-side to India & get the real team in training in England 2 mths prior to hostilities commencing!!!!!

Posted by Meety on (July 2, 2012, 9:13 GMT)

@ SirViv1973 - re: Bailey. I have NOT been an advocate of Bailey over the years, however, he has exceeded my expectations (atm) & is at a level that suggests he is capable of performing at International level. BTW - minor point, but not all of JPs tests have been at home. Whilst I would not want to compare Finn v JP - too early in either players career, the fact is - in tests, Finn has almost 50% of his wickets against Bangladesh. That quirk will need to be ironed out before meaningful comparisons with anyone can be made - IMO. What I will say about Finn is, during the Ashes I thought he had the ugliest run up I have ever seen, he seems to have made some adjustments & picked up 10 kph in pace, I rate him more highly than a year ago!

Posted by Meety on (July 2, 2012, 9:05 GMT)

@ jmcilhinney - Oz have sent a team to play England, & I expected them to perform well. BEFORE the series I was excited about how well Oz's young pacers would perform as it was the only thing that really interested me about this series, (I had a discussion with either you or landl47 about the concept of this series sucked & I was only interested in the take out that could be seen in individual performances). I was not trying to make any excuses, just highlight that until Hilfy & Patto bowls - there will be very little to be gleaned. England have no Strauss or KP & I would assume the #6 that plays in the Ashes hasn't played yet, Oz have used only one likely seamer (assuming he/Cummins returns to fitness), Punter & M Hussey are not playing & Lyon is a far better spinner than Doherty. Just want to repeat, I expected better of Oz, (no excuses Eng deserve to be 2nil up), however I think Bailey showed poise under pressure, Warner didn't look overawed & Wade has been efficient - positives.

Posted by Hammond on (July 2, 2012, 7:22 GMT)

@Dubious- let's see (if Pattinson can remain fit and even get there) what Pattinsons figures are when he finally reaches 14 test matches. Remember who he played against in the test matches he did play in, it wasn't exactly England or South Africa. He is a fine bowler but he certainly isn't any better than the quick bowlers England have already in the shed.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (July 2, 2012, 7:02 GMT)

@Meety on (July 02 2012, 02:14 AM GMT), this series has very little direct bearing on the Ashes, yes, but this is the format that Australia are #1 and England are supposedly hopeless at. If Australia can't offer more resistance in this format then it doesn't bode too well for the format where England are #1. England have had their travails and things can change on both sides in the next year but I don't really see a reason at this point to feel any insecurity watching England play at home. If they can perform well against SA next month then I don't see why anyone would hold any fear for them. They definitely need to improve their away performances but they are taking steps to do so. At this point, I can't see why England wouldn't be favourites to win the next Ashes.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (July 2, 2012, 7:01 GMT)

@Dubious Pattinson may end up being a better bowler than Finn but to compare them on the back of JP having played just 5 tests, all of which have been at home seems a little silly to me and not sure why your mentioning his batting either! his average will go up I would suspect that by the time he takes another 30 odd wickets his ave will be a lot closer to that of Finn's than where he is right now. Your comparism is also based purely on tests and not ODIs where Finn has a better aver 25.15 and a much better econ rate of 4.67 to JP's 28.37 & 5.67. both are very good young bowlers and only time will tell who ends up being the better one but to compare them on their current stats and say one is defiantly better than the other is wrong in my view

Posted by MinusZero on (July 2, 2012, 3:55 GMT)

Australia always bring players back too soon. Cummins at his age should be given more time before being rushed back. I know the team needs bowlers but delays now will pay dividends in the future...maybe

Posted by Meety on (July 2, 2012, 2:14 GMT)

@Ken McCarron - re: Smith & Bailey v Ferguson & Voges, where @Winsome is coming from is that Ferguson & Voges BOTH have ODI averages over 40. Ferguson averaged 52 in the Ryobi this last season at a S/R of 85 - higher than BOTH Bailey & Smith. Smith's ave was very good, his S/R was poor. @landl47 - re: MJ v Patto, your query is unfounded mate. The fact is, this is an ODI tour, which at this point has little influence on the next Ashes, ( I know previously I was talking about the Ashes context of this series). So far of the 4 main pace bowlers used, 3 (assuming full strength no injuries) won't be playing against England (Lee - retired, McKay - remote test selection, MJ - very unlikely), with Cummins marginally more likely. At this stage there is no Hilfy (not as good in ODIs), no Siddle & Pattinson has not been used. The fact Patto hasn't been used is more about tracking where MJ & Cummins were at & in no way a peak at the Test pecking order.

Posted by Dubious on (July 2, 2012, 1:30 GMT)

subbass, Finn is the best young bowler? He need only look to his own dressing room at Pattinson. In Tests, Pattinson is averaging 18.96, with 26 wickets, two 5-fors and two 4-fors from 5 matches. From 14 matches Finn is averaging 27.42 (that's right, almost ten runs more), with 56 wickets, three 5-fors and two 4-fors. In ODIs Finn's average is a little finer with 25.15 from 19 matches and two 4-fors (Pattinson is 28.37 from 5 matches with one 4-for)--not that I judge a bowler on ODI performances. As an ancillary bonus, Pattinson looks a far better batter. He's averaging 30.00, high score of 37 not and has hit 16 fours. Finn averages 9.25 with a high score of 19, hitting 6 fours. Don't get me wrong, Finn looks a fine bowler, just honestly doesn't look as good as Pattinson to me.

Posted by phermon on (July 2, 2012, 0:09 GMT)

JG2704 - why would you want to admit you got it so wrong when you still have two other pacemen in your squad anyway? I would hate to be in a touring party and not get a game.

Posted by subbass on (July 1, 2012, 21:58 GMT)

No wonder with that action. He could learn a thing or two from the best young quick bowler in the world. And of course right now that is Steve Finn, his action is perfect for avoiding injury, it is almost the polar opposite of Cummins' action. I guess it is too late for him to have his action completely remodeled though.

I wish the lad well anyway, he is a talent, just a shame his body is seemingly made of balsa wood.

( cricinfo plz publish ! )

Posted by SirViv1973 on (July 1, 2012, 21:51 GMT)

@JG2704, I agree that Starc is doing quite well with Yorks but Surley having brought Cummins, Mckay, Hilfenhaus, Lee, Johnson & Pattinson they have enough options for 5 ODI games. I think the big problem for Aus in all forms of the game right now is batting. The likes of Bailey, steve smith and in particular Forrest don't look up to it neither did Khawlja or Hughes when they were involved and Shaun Marsh came and went pretty quick. Ed Cowan recently got a test debut at 30, apart from a few good knocks at the start of the last domestic season his record is very average and hasn't convinced at all at test level. Aus fans should be worried as the cupboard looks pretty bare, no matter what happens in the rest of this series I think it's only a matter of time before they loose the no1 ODI slot

Posted by whatawicket on (July 1, 2012, 21:07 GMT)

the poor showing of the aussie bowlers during the last ashes has pushed these young guys up the pecking order far to quickly, pattinson is now of an age were he should be playing but cummings far to soon. the aussie press and some supporters put to much pressure on him to play. after the essex match i heard a pressman saying how good he was moving it at pace both way sand what he would to to the english batting. finn is an example of whats needed to be a good bowler. he watched listened and during the close season bulked up to the correct weight for his body shape he is now the finished item but can still not say hes guaranteed a test place but has to be in the odis and T20 and still get the bowl down at 90+ mph and i would say cummins will do the same, if hes looked after.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (July 1, 2012, 20:45 GMT)

I just think Cummins is too young to bowl at this level whatever the obvious ability is, as he is only 19, coming back from a previous serious injury after playing one test and though it is all very exciting for him, his body needs to settle down first and strengthen up, or risk his career.

Posted by JG2704 on (July 1, 2012, 20:23 GMT)

If I was an Australian selector , I'd call up Mitch Starc who has been doing very well for Yorks in the shorter formats.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (July 1, 2012, 19:51 GMT)

When CA named the squad there were a number of Oz fans & the usual group of Sub continent Eng haters saying Cummins was going to win the next ashes series on his own. Well this confirms he won't!. I said at the time that he needs to learn his trade and he won't do that at international level. At this stage his body is simply not up to the rigors of the int game. He may well need to look at his action and I would suggest CA forget about pickin him for at least 18 months. Perhaps they should look at Jimmy Anderson. A decade or so ago he burst on the scene in the tri series in Aus havin played only a handful of first class games, he impressed but soon started to suffer with several bad injuries, he then changed his action & went back and played county cricket with Lancs & now is the second best bowler in the world. If they are not careful he could go the way of Tait who picked up a number of injuries and never remodeled his action so now at the age of 29 can only bowl 4 overs a match

Posted by whatawicket on (July 1, 2012, 19:33 GMT)

let him go back to state cricket for a year or two. his body looks pretty good but hes been asked to doing to much to soon. perhaps some of the others should step up to the plate. i thought MJ would come in but what i saw today was a home town bully the uk crowd will pull him to pieces up at Birmingham .

Posted by Trickstar on (July 1, 2012, 18:56 GMT)

He looks a real prospect but there was never any need to bring him through so quickly into international cricket. He's got next to no state cricket behind him and that's where he needs to be. Maybe he's trying a little bit too hard atm and it's putting too much stress on his young body. They would be doing him a huge favor letting him play for his state for the next 2 years and then bringing him back up to international cricket when his body is fully grown.

Posted by JG2704 on (July 1, 2012, 18:54 GMT)

A shame for this to happen on his 1st visit to England. I saw him being interviewed on Sky the other day and he seems like a likeable, enthusiastic young lad. I'm also a little perplexed at why so many silly comments esp from our own fans as we ourselves have Broad , Bresnan ,Tremlett,Onions and to a lesser degree Jimmy who all seem to be injury prone.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 17:30 GMT)

guys these days are weak.they can't seem to get through a match without getting injured.this one couldn't finish 10 overs.how come bowlers in the old days used to bowl thousnd overs in an english and hardly ever get injured? look at courtney walsh he never seem to stop bowling and et he was never really injured. these present guys spend more time in hospital and with the physio than on the field.to me they get rested and still get injured, just look at anderson.got rested from 1 test to remain fresh, got angry, come back for 2 one dayers, and promply got injured right on the money.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (July 1, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

Good job Clint McKay's in fine form at the moment...

Posted by MasudRUETeee091040 on (July 1, 2012, 16:18 GMT)

Injury is Pat Cummins company, he should be careful about hitness to go ahead.

Posted by landl47 on (July 1, 2012, 16:03 GMT)

Very sad to see. He was well down on pace in the first ODI and now we know why. I hope he can get fitter and stronger and be the bowler everyone (including those of us who support other teams) would like him to be. I'm just wondering why Pattinson isn't playing in this game? If Mickey Arthur thinks Johnson is a better bowler than Pattinson, aren't Australia back in the same position as when they lost the Ashes in 2010/11?

Posted by johnathonjosephs on (July 1, 2012, 15:47 GMT)

I don't understand at all. This kid is under 20 years old and he's picking up side strains? How can he expect to be long term on the Australian team if he can't even play 2-3 games in a row when he's young?

Posted by Sinhaya on (July 1, 2012, 15:31 GMT)

Looks like Cummins is injury prone just like our Angelo Mathews. Cummins must be thoroughly assessed in terms of fitness before playing the next international. Better not play him in any test match for the next 2 years as his body is just not accustomed.

Posted by RightArmEverything on (July 1, 2012, 15:11 GMT)

@hyclass...I...I...I...must have missed your blog that day, so must have the selectors.

Posted by RednWhiteArmy on (July 1, 2012, 15:08 GMT)

Who's next in line? Apparently theres a really promising state under 15 indoor player who took 3 wickets last week.

Posted by hyclass on (July 1, 2012, 14:28 GMT)

@Carpathian...Thankyou for adding those two pieces of information regarding Lawson and DeVilliers of which I was unaware. I opposed his selection for the SA series on the premise that he was injured in the Shield final,had little 4 day cricket & I expected him to be injured after one Test if he was selected.I also believe that his results in SA 2nd innings were the result of that teams lack of long format match fitness having not played any 1st class cricket for months.There was nothing in Cummins speed in that innings that compared with Johnsons left arm late swing which had the same effect on Kallis.The 1st Test lasted little more than 2 days.The 2nd 5 days.The great harm has come from endless theorising on left & right hand combinations in batting & bowling,spinners loop,age,technique,class and virtually everything but an observation of long term records.The timeless intelligence that saw more than a decade of excellence has not just been abjured,but reversed with inevitable results

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 14:24 GMT)

If that is the former Australian great (Doug Walters) I will always respect the comment. I must admit I am baffled though- he hasn't played a great deal of cricket, they have the best medical and physio care and this happens.

Posted by hhillbumper on (July 1, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

he needs to grow into his body a bit more or else he will just be another injury

Posted by IndianInnerEdge on (July 1, 2012, 13:06 GMT)

Pity that he is injured and has to fly back....I hope he does not go the sahane bond/shaun tait way, nothing mre disappointing than watching a new upcoming talent not able to play becoz of injuries....the aus CA need to take a leaf out the ECB's book in the way that they handled Steven Finn a similar type of bowler, similar in build was given the strength conditioning training prior to the 2010 ashes...I think he should do some Aus A tours to get the body strength upand be match fit....that said, Aus have an embarassement of quick bowling resources, i donot think he will be mised much....

Posted by Carpathian on (July 1, 2012, 13:02 GMT)

No surprise whatsoever. Cummins has hardly played any first-class cricket so his body isn't up to this lark yet. As Geoff Lawson said at the time, he should never have been chosen for the South African tour. During Cummins' only test match, Fanie De Villiers remarked that Cummins would have injury problems because of the lack of work he's had.Sure enough he broke down post haste and now again after one international match.

Posted by Truemans_Ghost on (July 1, 2012, 12:12 GMT)

Shame, but 19 year olds heal like Wolverine. Better to miss this pointless series than something important.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (July 1, 2012, 12:08 GMT)

I'm not going to sit here and gloat; on the contrary, this is sad news. I loved watching him bowling in the first match... I was hoping for a full-strength Aussie attack by the penultimate/final match, and doubtless he would have been there.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 12:05 GMT)

:( I was looking forward to him bowl. All this starting to sound like Shane Bond-like to me. Take care of him, Australia Cricket. This is coming from a non-Aussie.

Posted by the_wallster on (July 1, 2012, 11:38 GMT)

Gutted for the lad. As a paying customer I was looking forward to his bowling against our batsmen. It's what cricket-goers want to watch. Quality fast bowling. But there has to be some concern over his management. after one Test match he is out of the game for 6 months. And after one ODI he is injured yet again. He should be left alone for a while in State cricket, where his workload can be managed proportionately. After his body has finished growing he can resume a fruitful career.

Posted by hyclass on (July 1, 2012, 11:23 GMT)

Before Cummins was selected for a Test,I opposed his selection based on the premise that neither his 1st class nor injuries sustained during the Shield Final recommended it.I identified that were he selected,the high probability is that he would be injured after one Test.One blogger pointed out that his 2nd injury was different,but its common knowledge that while protecting one weakness,another absorbs the change of motion & is thus far more injury prone.He has barely played any long form cricket.The order of business in Shield was once to allow players bodies time to adapt from 2 day district matches to 4 day 1st class & then 5 day Tests.The selectors chose to ignore this time honoured intelligence with the results that you observe.This may only be a ODI but I blogged 2 days ago that the hype was unfounded to his detriment & that I believed injury would have the greatest determination on results.Only the capacity to observe everything exactly as it is commands the road to solution.

Posted by Mervo on (July 1, 2012, 11:16 GMT)

Unbelieveable. This is why Ryan Harris and the older pace bowlers should be retained until these younger players have hardened their bodies for international cricket.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 11:04 GMT)

Bit worrying that he seems to get injured as often as he does ... the same with Pattinson. Just as well Australia has some fast bowling depth at the moment.

Posted by simon_w on (July 1, 2012, 10:47 GMT)

It's a pretty smart move by Australia to pull Cummins out of the firing line pretty sharpish, I think. Four more games against this English batting line up would not be good for his confidence or reputation, and credit to the management for recognizing that. The way people were talking about him, he could never live up to the hype. Judging from his performance in the first ODI he could turn into a decent International bowler with a few more years of development, perhaps more than that, but if his confidence is built up so disproportionately and then destroyed, it would not be good for him.

Posted by Hammond on (July 1, 2012, 10:13 GMT)

Australia is going to get hammered.

Posted by Kiwi-Jake on (July 1, 2012, 9:59 GMT)

It's a shame because every time a player gets injured they go backwards in development, these frequent injuries early in Cummins' career could take a toll on the player he could potentially be. His action doesn't look too taxing, it could be a case of Cummins not being 'bowling fit' enough, his body not being used to the stress he bowls with. Perhaps after recovering he should slow down a bit and just gradually build the pace back up again over a season or two (by bowling an absolute shipload) rather than going all out ASAP and getting injured again 2 games later.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 9:53 GMT)

Will Patrick Cummins have to quit test and ODI cricket and play T20 cricket instead. It is no good if he gets injured too often. The coaching staff should apply a better strategy to manage his workload. Pattinson is another quick who is just returning from injury. Be careful with him.

Posted by 512fm on (July 1, 2012, 9:41 GMT)

This certainly is not looking good, all these injuries at such a young age is a huge worry.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 9:35 GMT)

@Winsome, I hate to say this but Steve Smith's recent record is much better than Voges or Ferguson. You have to follow the interstate comps to realise that. As for Phil Hughes, he was dropped from the NSW one-day team last year because he wasn't up to scratch. That didn't happen to Smith who was the best NSW batsman all summer. George Bailey was far superior to Ferguson, Voges and Hughes - check your facts..... and support our team!

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (July 1, 2012, 9:28 GMT)

Turned out everything about Cummins was just hot air. Useless, but at least Australia have found a replacement bowler who the English have never faced before...oh wait......He bowls to the left, he bowls to the riiggghhttt....Oh Mitchell Johnsson.......Your....:)

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 9:20 GMT)

The writing is on the wall. I bet within 5 years time he will be in the same bracket as Shaun Tait. Had immense potential but was never able to realise it.

Posted by the_flying_squad on (July 1, 2012, 9:12 GMT)

Dutchy, how on earth is he a show pony? Most 19 year olds are struggling at first grade level. Get a grip, get a clue. 400+ test wickets and yes, I understand cricket.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 9:09 GMT)

@Dutchy - Cummins is definitely not an over-hyped show pony. Yes he is injury prone but he definitely not over-hyped. I must say, Cummins shouldn't be playing international cricket at the moment since he just recovered from injury. It's a real shame since he is such a fantastic talent.

Posted by Bollo on (July 1, 2012, 9:06 GMT)

@Ravi Bopara. Congratulations mate, you must feel so proud...

Posted by jmcilhinney on (July 1, 2012, 9:05 GMT)

This really is bad news. People have been talking about managing Cummins carefully but he has to play SOME of the time. Despite Michael Clarke having said that he wants to play the best XI in order to win each game, I find it hard to believe that Pattinson would have sat out while Cummins played every match anyway. That said, Pattinson is yet to impress in ODIs. I think that the Australia A tour is more important for Cummins anyway so if he can get fit and stay fit for that then no real harm done. It's got to be frustrating for him and concerning for the team and management though. It's a shame when talent can't be realised due to physical frailty. Hopefully that will not be the case for Cummins because the more good players there are around the world the better for cricket and any real cricket fan wants to see battles between the best. Frankly, I hope noone ever dominates like WI and Australia did again but everyone being mediocre is no better. Looks like both teams are a bowler down.

Posted by Brumby90 on (July 1, 2012, 9:02 GMT)

Until cricket Australia changes its poor training/rehab techniques then players will continue breaking down quickly and they will never progress as a team

Posted by mmzmika on (July 1, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

Poor lad! had so much to show in the series... :( Get well soon bro. And the selectors should consider calling Pattinson in his place

Posted by c3vzn on (July 1, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

Dear Cricket Australia,

Do not pick Pat Cummins for Australia duty for the next 2 years. The kid's body has not fully developed and will keep breaking down in this state. By the time he's 21 he should be more ready.

Sincerely,

Cricket Fans

Posted by Dashgar on (July 1, 2012, 8:54 GMT)

Hopefully this means we'll see James Pattinson get a game now. Cummins obviously still has some strength and conditioning issues.

Posted by s.sreekant on (July 1, 2012, 8:52 GMT)

we he played juz a game,is he d nxt shaun tait getting injured so early. I think he need to alter his action a bit to be injury free

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

Ppicking up a side strain after a good lead up and one ODI? I think his action might need a bit of work. You don't see Brett Lee getting this sort of thing nowadays, his action is close to perfect...

Posted by Heisenburg on (July 1, 2012, 8:49 GMT)

A shame, bring in Hilfenhaus, and maybe even Pattinson in for Doherty.

Posted by   on (July 1, 2012, 8:46 GMT)

He wont survive. Lots of injuries in a year ahh ..

Posted by RAVI_BOPARA on (July 1, 2012, 8:43 GMT)

THERE U GO, I TOLD U IN MY PREVIOUS POST THAT CUMMINGS WOULD BE SENT HOME.... THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Posted by Winsome on (July 1, 2012, 8:43 GMT)

Send over a replacement batsman like Callum Ferguson or call up Adam Voges. They have both good records in ODIs and it would save us having to put up with players who aren't up to it. Bet that doesn't happen though. Even Phil Hughes would be better than Steve Smith or Bailey.

Posted by katandthat3 on (July 1, 2012, 8:42 GMT)

Geez, poor kid must be as frustrated as I and most Aussie fans are. Hope he can get right and make the A tour, if not get ready for the home summer or ODI/T20 matches against Pakistan beforehand. If he doesn't make the A Tour, the selectors can chose from a host of guys to fill in. Butterworth, Mitch Marsh, Coulter-Nile, McDermott, Herrick, Faulkner, a good opportunity. Just saw NZ get a host of injuries overnight, take it easy fellas.

Posted by dutchy on (July 1, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

Pathetic. Breaks down after one game - and a one dayer, too. Even Carl Rackemann in the early 80s was more resilient than this over-hyped show pony.

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (July 1, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

Bad news for Cummins, although it does open the door for Pattinson....Australia seem to be going through a phase of injures to thier young quicks, which doesnt bode well for the next few years.

Posted by jeauxx on (July 1, 2012, 8:39 GMT)

GOD DAMMIT NOT AGAIN. *Please* get well soon this time Pat.

Andrew McGlashanClose
Andrew McGlashan Assistant Editor Andrew arrived at ESPNcricinfo via Manchester and Cape Town, after finding the assistant editor at a weak moment as he watched England's batting collapse in the Newlands Test. Andrew began his cricket writing as a freelance covering Lancashire during 2004 when they were relegated in the County Championship. In fact, they were top of the table when he began reporting on them but things went dramatically downhill. He likes to let people know that he is a supporter of county cricket, a fact his colleagues will testify to and bemoan in equal quantities.
Tour Results
England v Australia at Manchester - Jul 10, 2012
England won by 7 wickets (with 11 balls remaining) (D/L method)
England v Australia at Chester-le-Street - Jul 7, 2012
England won by 8 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)
England v Australia at Birmingham - Jul 4, 2012
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
England v Australia at The Oval - Jul 1, 2012
England won by 6 wickets (with 26 balls remaining)
England v Australia at Lord's - Jun 29, 2012