Australia in England 2012

Lee, Watson injuries add to insult

Daniel Brettig

July 7, 2012

Michael Clarke was bowled as Australia slid further into trouble, England v Australia, 4th ODI, Chester-le-Street, July 7, 2012
Michael Clarke said his side have work to do before the next Ashes © Getty Images

Australia have called the left-armer Mitchell Starc, currently bowling well for Yorkshire in county cricket, into their squad for the final ODI of the series against England at Old Trafford on Tuesday, after injuries to Shane Watson and Brett Lee. Starc is due to join up with Australia after playing in Yorkshire's final FLt20 group match on Sunday.

Watson and Lee may be taking early leave from Australia's sobering tour of England after both suffered calf injuries in the tourists' eight-wicket loss at Durham. Watson could bowl only one over in England's innings before leaving the field, while Lee had bowled two balls of his second spell when he felt pain in his right leg and also headed to the treatment room, following an abortive attempt to bowl a third.

Watson and Lee are being assessed by Australia's physio Alex Kountouris and the team doctor John Orchard, with the results of MRI scans to be known as early as Sunday. Both are unlikely to take part in Manchester, leaving Lee stranded one wicket shy of Glenn McGrath's Australian ODI wicket-taking record. As he digested his first series defeat as Australia's Test or ODI captain, Michael Clarke confirmed the calf injuries, and that he had advised Lee to get his problem checked out before trying to bowl again.

"I haven't had time to speak to Alex yet, but I do know they've both got calf injuries - to what extent, I don't know," Clarke said. "I ran from slip to ask what it was about, and he said it was cramp. I just said at that stage 'go off, and find out if it is'. I haven't seen him since."

Though Australia had to cope with the most difficult of the conditions at Chester-le-Street having been sent in to bat after heavy overnight rain, Clarke would not offer any excuses for another comprehensive loss to England. The margins of defeat has only grown with each match in this series, reminding the tourists of how far they have to go to provide a serious challenge for the Ashes on English soil in 2013.

"I do believe England got the better of conditions, but it's easy to make excuses," Clarke said. "I think we had the better of conditions at Lord's as well, and England still found a way to beat us. That's what you have to do, against good opposition - in all different conditions around the world; you've got to find a way to have success. Unfortunately, once again today, we were outplayed.

"How far apart, are we? I don't know; you do everything you can to try to win every game, taking the field for Australia. Unfortunately, sometimes you lose; on this tour, we haven't seen the other side. But we've got one game to go, and I'd be very disappointed to go home without a win."

Australia's failure to make significant totals has been matched by their inability to make a dent in England's top order, an area Clarke noted with particular disappointment. As an aggressive captain searching for wickets, Clarke has not been short of ideas, but his bowlers have foundered on the rocks of Alastair Cook, Ian Bell and Jonathan Trott.

"I'd like to see more of their batting order, that's for sure. We can't get through the top three or four at the moment," Clarke said. "We haven't taken wickets - Clint McKay's been really our only wicket-taker. I don't care what form of the game it is, you've got to get blokes out.

"If you want to slow the scoring you take wickets - that's always been my attitude in any form of the game. "It's been very disappointing that we haven't been able to bowl England out. Credit to them - they've used the conditions better, bowled very consistent areas to build up pressure."

As for the question of whether or not the defeat had added to the scar tissue Australia carry from their past two Ashes losses, Clarke hoped there would be few ramifications in 12 months' time. But he will not know for sure until the likes of James Pattinson, Matthew Wade and David Warner face England again.

"We've got a lot of guys involved in our Test squad who aren't involved in the one-dayers. Yes, the result hasn't gone our way on this tour so far," Clarke said. "But it's been a great opportunity for the players who haven't played much cricket in England to get here and see the conditions - especially for our young bowlers.

"It's been good for our batters who haven't had the chance to play against a really good English attack to see how good they are. We know we've got some work to do, in one-day cricket but also Test cricket before the next Ashes."

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by JG2704 on (July 10, 2012, 8:26 GMT)

@5wombats on (July 10 2012, 05:47 AM GMT) Even one of the other 2 has actually slated his own team/selections. By the way was I right with my GT answer?

Posted by 5wombats on (July 10, 2012, 8:15 GMT)

@landl47 - good analysis of Warner. Spot on. As a kid I had moving my feet literally kicked into me by dad standing behind me in the nets. Before the jokes start about someone needing to give the wombats a good kicking - I'd like to know this; how is it that an Australian - Australian mind you, doesn't know how to move his feet? What is that about!? Most of the good players in the Sydney western suburbs grades in the 90's used to move their feet a lot better than Warner, but it's Warner that is the international cricket player. Where's the coaching? What is going on!?

Posted by Meety on (July 10, 2012, 7:16 GMT)

@landl47 - (re: Warner), maybe slightly hastily made by me, (as he did hit 2 tons against well credentialled ODI opposition last summer), however, to me he has shown genuine improvement as a FC/Test cricketer at a significant rate. He is FC ave is still over 51, & he is still learning his craft. I heard a couple of interesting comments regarding his stance has been adjusted, not sure if that is good or bad. He is a lot better test batsmen than a lot of people give him credit for. I feel that ODIs can create bad habits for batsmen & have a preference for some players to specialize into a format. "...2 runs in 19 balls and he only lasted that long because he wasn't good enough to touch the balls zipping past his outside edge.." - the same thing happenned to Cook & Bell @ Lords, they survived & everyone is singing their praises, but it could easily have been a different story. He got a 100 against NZ on the greenest strip I have ever seen in my life. He has the ability.

Posted by 5wombats on (July 10, 2012, 5:47 GMT)

@JG2704 on (July 09 2012, 08:44 AM GMT) - mate @Marcio is hard-core. Some of us are still waiting for him to give England credit for winning The Ashes in Australia last year. It'll never happen. He's never once taken our advice not to bet on games of cricket, and he's probably miffed at losing yet another shirt....:-)

Posted by Meety on (July 10, 2012, 4:55 GMT)

@Hammond - trying really hard aren't you! LOL! @rabbito - I like Neville but his List A stats are pretty ordinary. I think he is a roughie for a specialist batting position in the test side, just needs one more good season.

Posted by landl47 on (July 10, 2012, 3:46 GMT)

Interesting comment about Warner, Meety. My inclination would be exactly the opposite- I think Warner's an Eoin Morgan-type player who hits the ball beautifully but doesn't have the technique to play test cricket. Warner was completely bemused by Anderson and Finn in the last ODI; 2 runs in 19 balls and he only lasted that long because he wasn't good enough to touch the balls zipping past his outside edge. He has no foot movement against the seamers, follows the ball moving away from him with his hands and doesn't defend well against the lifting ball. In ODIs and T20s, with no close fielders, he'll get away with it often enough to be worth his place, but in tests the good sides will find him out (NZ and India in Australia aren't two of the good sides). It's early and he might develop, but like Morgan I don't see him as a test player. Hughes would be a much better bet and I expect him to have a good test career with proper handling, which he hasn't had up to now.

Posted by Rabbito on (July 10, 2012, 2:48 GMT)

what about petter neville....rekon hes worth a go.

Posted by Meety on (July 10, 2012, 1:05 GMT)

@RightArmEverything - I've warmed to Bailey, I am happy enuff for him to be fro the time being the reserve batsmen, particularly if he finishes the series off with a decent score. As for the line up, assuming no injuries & winning was the ONLY motivation, my side for HOME ODIs 1. Wade, 2. Watson, 3. D Hussey (v/c), 4. Clarke (c), 5. Ferguson, 6. M Hussey, 7. Christian/Marsh/Smith, 8. MJ/Starc, 9. Lee/Cummins/Coulter-Nile, 10. McKay/Bollinger, 11. Holland/Doherty. Reserve batsmen Bailey & Burns. Where I had multiple players in a position, the first is one is the prime choice, the rest being contenders for that position. I would "retire" Warner from ODIs, (preferably from T20s too). I would change the side considerably for the Pakistan series. T20 W/Cup side. 1. Warner, 2. Watto, 3. Wade, 4. White (c), 5. DHussey (vc), 6. MHussey, 6. Christian, 7. MMarsh (fit?), 8. O'Keefe, 9. Starc, 10, McKay, 11. Doherty 12th SMarsh, 13th MJ, 14th AB Mac. Emphasis on spin options.

Posted by JG2704 on (July 9, 2012, 19:50 GMT)

@kh1902 on (July 08 2012, 05:09 AM GMT) Australia won the ODI series and drew (coming from behind) the test series. Forget these results did we?

Posted by landl47 on (July 9, 2012, 19:48 GMT)

@RandyOZ: by 'supreme depth' I take it you mean the large number of Australian bowlers incapable of bowling England out? However, Starc is a very good prospect. I said before the tour started that I couldn't understand why Aus would pick 6 seamers plus Watson and Starc would not be among them. I'm sure he has benefitted from regular games in England and if he's chosen he'll probably bowl as well as any other Australian, with the possible exception of McKay. Of course, on this tour, that's not saying all that much.

Posted by landl47 on (July 9, 2012, 19:35 GMT)

@Gilly4ever: that is an interesting team, but having Johnson batting at 3, leaving Clarke out altogether and playing with 10 men might be seen as controversial decisions.

Posted by JG2704 on (July 9, 2012, 17:13 GMT)

@kh1902 on (July 08 2012, 05:09 AM GMT) Did you manage to fall asleep for the Aus tour of SA where they drew (coming from behind) the tests and won the ODI series? Please publish this time

Posted by RightArmEverything on (July 9, 2012, 15:21 GMT)

Seen a few people suggest Ferguson should have been in the squad. Have to say that would not have been a bad selection. Despite his FC form being poor last season, he was in the top 4 run scorers of the Ryobi Cup and has previously proved he can perform at international level, and he's only 27 so still one for the future. @Meety recently suggest D Hussey could fill the #3 slot and I'd have to say if Ferguson was coming in at #5 or #6 that'd be pretty good, so Clarke could stay at #4. I think if Smith is going to be used at #6, he ought to be bowled too. Otherwise, I'd pick Bailey in the team.

Posted by Hammond on (July 9, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

Starc is a Baulkham Hills boy, just like me. Go Baulko!

Posted by   on (July 9, 2012, 11:05 GMT)

just goes to prove that maybe they're finally realizing M Johnson CAN'T bowl otherwise they would not need to call for back up with only one game to go

Posted by whatawicket on (July 9, 2012, 10:55 GMT)

dont mention dan christian as a replacement in the future odis. the ipl i think made him one of the most expensive players struth the guys a liability. at least towards the end they saw the light. starc hes playing CC div 2 so if hes not getting wickets. the aussie selectors at least dont think thats the way to go. of the 2 i would not select neither as they are not international class.

Posted by JG2704 on (July 9, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

@Marcio on (July 08 2012, 13:54 PM GMT) You were telling us all that you were going to win the next ODI. You also say you've never seen Bailey hit 20 and yet he scored 65 in the 2nd ODI which you commented on.. Australia are still number 1 and can come back to winning ways - as you mentioned they haven't lost a series for 2 years. Eng hadn't lost a test series for 3 years before UAE. Always think it's best to give opposition credit , take it on the chin and hope your team comes back. Learn from the Aus captain who you say you have great admiration for. Please publish

Posted by Buckers410 on (July 9, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

Warner, Wade, Clarke, Ferguson, Smith, D Hussey, Christian, Starc/Johnson, O'Keefe, McKay, Cummins. Watson would bat at 7 for Christian when he comes back. We need a better hitter down at seven if Wade opens

Posted by Buckers410 on (July 9, 2012, 8:39 GMT)

Warner, Wade, Clarke, Ferguson, S Smith, D Hussey, Christian, Starc, Hazlewood, O'Keefe, McKay. This would be our best ODI line up. Good batsmen, good bowlers and not wasting Wade at 6 or 7. Watson would come in for Christian and M Hussey would come back for either Fergo or Smithy. But good line up. Any thoughts, opinions......

Posted by yorkshirematt on (July 9, 2012, 8:16 GMT)

@randy oz I agree with you! Starc has been absolutely superb for us. (most county players are actually English though)

Posted by Okakaboka on (July 9, 2012, 8:04 GMT)

@Gilly4ever.....I would have McDonald in the team...he is both a better bat and bowler than Spraygun Johnston....and is good enough to even have us competitive with England. Another plus side in playing McDonald....we don't need to widen the pitch.

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (July 9, 2012, 7:59 GMT)

Starc will strengthen the attack, and so far McKay has been the stand out bowler for Australia this series, and looks like he will be a handfull over the next few years in all forms of the game. Pattinson didnt really impress in the last ODI but theres room for improvement. I think Lee has had his day and is only around in order for him to to equal or better McGraths ODI wicket record, Johnson is deadwood and needs to have at least a full Aus summer in FC cricket, even then most of his problems are in his head. Batting wise theres not much there, Hussey and Punter would strengthen the middle for a while, but Bailey, Forrest, Warner, D hussey dont look anything special. Wade is out of position, maybe should be at 5/6 as hes often left with only the tail to bat with.

Posted by niteshpanchal on (July 9, 2012, 7:13 GMT)

Australia is having problem with their top 4 batsmen only, it they work that one out, they can be a good team. Open with Wade & Warner, put Watson at 4, Clarke should be at 3. That's it..

Posted by straight_drive4 on (July 9, 2012, 7:12 GMT)

@gilly4ever - are you suggesting clarke should be dropped or rested? in any case, who do you say should captain?

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (July 9, 2012, 5:54 GMT)

Another Mitch Johnsson or Pattison. The cupboard isn't just bare, it's got a deep hole in the bottom of it.

Posted by Aussie_nrz on (July 9, 2012, 5:36 GMT)

Three players out injured (Cummins, Lee, Watson) replaced by one bowler (M. Starc) they should have bought C. White back. He has played two consistent t20 competitions with good average as well as strike rate. He is your match winner so we can keep Forrest for test selection.

Squad could have been: Warner, Wade, Clarke, Bailey, D. Hussey, C. White, S. Smith, Starc, McKay, Hilfenaus, Doherty / Pattinson

But we have no C. white means play Forrest in his place above Bailey.

Posted by RandyOZ on (July 9, 2012, 2:57 GMT)

Even after all our injuries our supreme depth means Starc comes in. English (sic) batsmen in the county system will be glad he isnt skittling them on Tuesday.

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (July 9, 2012, 2:19 GMT)

For the 5th ODI, given the squad, injuries etc, my team in batting order is: Warner, Wade, Johnson, D Hussey, Bailey, Smith, Pattinson, McKay, Starc, Hilfenhaus. If all were available, not injured etc, my XI would be: Warner, Watson, White, D Hussey, M Hussey, Christian, M Marsh, Wade, Pattinson, McKay, Starc. I know that dropping Forrest means -1 specialist batsman but I think that Johnson is a better bat than Forrest and I just do not want him anywhere near the side.

Posted by Deep_Point on (July 9, 2012, 1:29 GMT)

They should draft someone in for Hilfenhaus too - he has taken ONE WICKET in the last SIX ODIs at an average of about 240. And aside from McKay, he is the next most threatening bowler. How much worse can it get for this team?

Posted by   on (July 9, 2012, 1:21 GMT)

Wade is definitely a waste at 7, I'd have him at 3 or 5 over Forrest or Bailey. At least change something to see what happens, we're losing now anyway what's the worst that would come out of it. Johnson, for me, is good enough to bat at 7 and his record definitely suggests that he has something to offer to the team (averages 25.5 with the ball and 18 with the bat). Give Callum Ferguson another chance! he still averages 41 in ODIs and has a sound technique for ODIs.

Posted by   on (July 9, 2012, 1:18 GMT)

What about Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris? With such an abundance of fast bowlers, the selectors prefer to go with young guns as opposed to the experienced.

Posted by Hammond on (July 9, 2012, 0:43 GMT)

This is what it was like following England in the early 00's- heaps of suggestions about bringing new people in, new coaches, new approaches, etc. Difference was that most England fans were prepared to admit when they were just simply outclassed. This is an attitude Australian cricket fans will need to learn in the next 18 months.

Posted by Meety on (July 9, 2012, 0:04 GMT)

@Marcio - yep, one bad series & we are the worst team ever & we are back to the doomy predictions of falling in a heap like the WIndies did. Very good performance by England, however I do feel it is one of those series that confirms Murphy's law. Realistically, the 2all draw with the WIndies, whilst was partly due to a good performance from the WIndies, was also an indicator that the make up of the side was not right - particularly batting.

Posted by Chris_P on (July 8, 2012, 22:49 GMT)

Good to see Starc called up. He was unlucky not to have been selected in the initial squad as he had far more credentials (& form) than many. Australia's loss was Yorkshire's gain as he performed quite well with them. Pattinson has still to convince me he has what it takes for ODI, his bowling in tests in top shelf but for some reason he isn't producing in the one dayers, not only this series but the last 3 he has played in.

Posted by JG2704 on (July 8, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

I feel this has probably just been one of those tours Australia will be glad to see the back of. The one player who has come out of it well is Mckay who proves that control is as (if not more) important than express pace.Mitch Starc has impressed me from what little I've seen of him in T20s too so I'm glad he has been called up and hope he gets a game.

Posted by vrn59 on (July 8, 2012, 20:31 GMT)

As far as the bowling is concerned, Australia have a larger talent pool to contend with. Lee is still a great bowler, though I don't expect him to last for more than a year; he's 35-36! Clint McKay is an understated personality in the team-sheet but he's been one of it's best limited-overs bowlers recently. Many have dismissed Johnson, but I feel that he's still got more to offer, and after all, the team will need an experienced paceman like him after Lee's retirement. Cummins needs to sort out his injury issues, and Pattinson and Hilfenhaus, especially Pattison, need to hone their ODI bowling skills. Starc is a decent future option too. Australia are missing a world-class attacking spinner; Doherty isn't a 'match-winner' and although Lyon seems better, I can't possibly compare him to the likes of Swann and the Harbhajan of the past. This is something that could hurt Australia in the subcontinent, especially in the T20 World Cup; maybe Brad Hogg can be recalled, just for the tournament

Posted by Dbatsman on (July 8, 2012, 20:25 GMT)

My Australian team would be Warner, Watson, Clarke, D. Hussey, M. Hussey, C. White/ M. Marsh if Watson is injured, M. Wade, B. Lee, Hilfenhaus, MCkay, Try out Lyon/ Doherty

Posted by Truemans_Ghost on (July 8, 2012, 20:02 GMT)

I think Clarke has done himself credit in his honesty about Australian performances and generosity towards his opponents. There is a danger of overstating the problem though. True Australia have looked pretty poor this tour and it is hard to see a road to improvement, but after the Ashes that was true of the test team and, although they are not world beaters yet, the test team has rebuilt. There should also be some acknowledgment that England are a pretty good side at the moment. Part of the problem is not many Aussie players, except maybe Clarke and Watson are in their prime. The rest are either prospects or on their way out. England should enjoy this moment (and trust me, we are) because I can't belivee Australia can be rubbish for long

Posted by vrn59 on (July 8, 2012, 19:55 GMT)

These are troubled times for Australian cricket. Although I support Ponting's exclusion from the ODI side as a long-term decision, he was really missed in this tour. Any team without a decent No. 3 cannot claim to be world-class. Peter Forrest and George Bailey are decent Shefield Shield batsmen, but aren't really worthy of the No. 3 spot in the national side. Clarke should promote himself to that position. A top order comprising of Warner, Watson and Clarke looks a lot more solid. David Hussey is a good player, though age is not on his side. He can bat at No. 4. In my opinion, the best batsman Australia have got right now is Michael Hussey. They really missed him in England and his presence at No. 5 will certainly bolster the middle order. Cameron White could be tried out at No. 6, and so could Shaun Marsh who can then be promoted to No. 3 if he proves himself. Wade is a decent No. 7 and a good keeper, so he should be left in his place; I don't see him being threatened by Haddin.

Posted by yorkshirematt on (July 8, 2012, 19:53 GMT)

Good luck Mitch and thanks for your efforts. Good luck in the Aussie side. Hope we see you in a yorkshire shirt again though

Posted by AngryAngy on (July 8, 2012, 17:39 GMT)

@Marcio: Bailey has actually reached 20 six times in his eight innings. He's a sturdy and reliable player rather than a star, but the overall form of the team has put a lot on him. I think it's a credit that he's come in and done as well as he has.

However, they are leaning towards players who they think can go the farthest distance in Tests. Valuable ODI players like Marsh and Ferguson have orders to work on their long-form technique. To some extent this is also true of Khawaja and Hughes; whatever their first class form, nobody knows what kind of ODI players they might be. There's also every argument for Adam Voges or Cameron White being an asset to the squad. On the short term, the cost is ODI success, but the long game is to blood fringe players and build Test depth.

Posted by whatawicket on (July 8, 2012, 17:03 GMT)

90% chance of rain. so perhaps the aussies will get off with a 3 - 0 defeat MC should have been out doing a rain dance over the 5 game series

Posted by jmcilhinney on (July 8, 2012, 15:03 GMT)

@Marcio, it's good that you like the fact that Clarke offers no excuses, but I also like the fact that he gives the opposition some credit.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 14:56 GMT)

com'n Aussie com'n.....!!!!! Bring Punter.

Posted by Indian_Fan09 on (July 8, 2012, 14:54 GMT)

Its better to have Cameron White in the team instead of a clueless Bailey! He is doing pretty good in the Friends Life T20! Or perhaps Shaun Marsh too!! Bailey simply does not have it to make the cut!

Posted by seantells on (July 8, 2012, 14:03 GMT)

AUS have to go through this, it's a good thing. starc should've bn in the ODI squad not cummins and also johnson must be given with more chances all n all the squad they brought not convinced

Posted by cricket_slcsupport on (July 8, 2012, 13:58 GMT)

Bring back RIcky Ponting ! He's the best at the moment for Australia.

Posted by Marcio on (July 8, 2012, 13:54 GMT)

You can't win them all. I like Clarke's attitude: no excuses. There are some strange selections, though. Pattinson is not an ODI bowler, as i have said for ages. yet they keep picking him. Starc is much better for short formats. Bailey? Who is this guy? I don't know, as he has never been in long enough for me to get to know him as a player. Never seen him reach 20. So why is he there? Forrest was looking good last year. I think his selection was appropriate. But its easy to miss out a few times in a row. Australia have some real match winners in there, which is why @nutcutlet's comments is way offf the mark. Lee, D. Hussey, Warner, Clarke, Watson, Starc (soon) can all win a game in a flash. Write them off at your own peril. It was only a few months ago ENG lost 5-0 to India. Now we are supposed to believe they are invincible. AUS hasn't lost an ODI series for 2 years. Now we are supposed to believe they can't play. How does that work, exactly?

Posted by aarifboy on (July 8, 2012, 13:42 GMT)

If M Hussy was injured why didn't Aussies include Ponting on a tough tour like England?Its hard for newcomers to prove a point against best team.

Posted by amit.....oz on (July 8, 2012, 13:36 GMT)

australian selecters should take right decision in player choosing.shaun marsh should be brought back at #3.because he was in good touch in ipl 2012 season.cameron white is the other man who should be given another chance....

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 13:27 GMT)

Recall Cameron White for Australia

Posted by Damo_s on (July 8, 2012, 12:49 GMT)

I dont think the aussie batsmen are that bad they have just had a tough time against arguably the best attack in the world under home conditions. Hopefully they will learn from it and get better. The selectors have to be patient in the same way the English selectors have stuck by their selections. Dropping people left right and centre is not the solution IMO.

Posted by Rabbito on (July 8, 2012, 12:20 GMT)

@punchdrunkpunter.....sorry, but you don't add up....warner can't bat??...180 at the WACA???...besides...hes only going to get more consistent with experence....Clarke??....329 not out and a series av. of +100???.....av. going up fast since taken over captaincy.....Hilfy....one of australias best bowlers against india....some of the best in the world couldn't play him...found his pace and late swing....maybe not so good in ODI but a gun in test....cummins we all know is going to be a freak of a bowler if he can keep fit...i.e his first test....made jaques kallis look like a rabbit in the spotlights untill he decided to dismiss him....and did it to about 5 other SA batsmen....pattinson...5 fors in his first 2 tests and a lot of the time made indias batters look like schoolkids...............i don't think so.....we've got a team that will go places....

Posted by caughtatcover on (July 8, 2012, 11:41 GMT)

The aussies' lack of match practice has shown up big time on this tour. They looked like an under prepared team and it has cost them pretty dearly with the injuries to a few of the key players. On the other hand, the english team looked like a well oiled machinery working in tandem and in coherence. The aussies are a far way off the mark of the world's no. 1 ODI team and currently it needs to put in a lot of effort just to compete. It looks a very weak unit as a whole. Time for the coaching staff and the selectors to revaluate their strategies for a brighter future.

Posted by PunchDrunkPunter on (July 8, 2012, 10:21 GMT)

Warner, Watson, Clarke, Wade, Hilfenhaus, Cummins and Pattinson will all be in the next Ashes squad and they've all shown they aren't good enough.

Posted by 5wombats on (July 8, 2012, 10:15 GMT)

@Nutcutlet on (July 08 2012, 08:29 AM GMT) - An excellent post. Welcome Back! Agree with you completely and we were about to write something similar but you beat us to it. Are you a marsupial at all? We seen to think in the same way!

Posted by LALITHKURUWITA on (July 8, 2012, 10:08 GMT)

Aussies are still No 1 in ODI Ranking.So Aussies got a good depth in their bowling. Aussie fans do not worry. (All batsmen can rest except Cook and Bell).

Posted by waheed1233 on (July 8, 2012, 8:57 GMT)

Aussie eam have the following line-up: Warner, Wade, Marsh, Clarke, M. Hussey, Watson, D. Hussey, Brett Lee, Pattinson/Cummins, McKay, Hilfenhaus. If the pitch is spin friendly, add O'Keefe instead of Pattinson/Cummins.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 8:52 GMT)

The first thing australia need to do is to get rid of langer as batting coach。 this guy is almost clueless as a batting coach。 australia still has major problems playing both swinging balls in england and good spinners after 4 years of his batting coaching。getting rid the likes of johnson、 haddin,forrest, smith, bailey will also improve the performance of the team. Cricinfo please publish.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

The australian bowling is good enough,it is the batting which is the promlem。 langer has done nothing to improve the aussie ODI and test batting, he should be sacked。there are also a few iffy selections for the ODi team - forest and bailey are not ODI BATSMEN, bring back ferguson and white。 all in all, australia are ruining their own team with DODDY PLAYER SELECTIONS AND THE LACK OF PROPER COACHING FROM LANGER。 these concerns need to be addressed if australia WANT TO REMAIN #1 in odi。cricinfo please publish。

Posted by Cricketfan101 on (July 8, 2012, 8:34 GMT)

Clarke and waston and hussey are only good players in the team

Posted by Nutcutlet on (July 8, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

This is the weakest Oz side anyone can remember. That said, I cannot take much delight in their fragility because I like England to enter an Ashes series as underdogs where there is much hard work to be done; where there is great opportunity for character to be shown by a battling England side; where those players that emerge with credit are tried, tested, and have not been found wanting in the fiercest cauldron known to cricket, bar none, become players for whom one has renewed respect. If beating Australia becomes routine, more-or-less expected, then something has gone from life. I like the idea of England being on top of the rankings, but I expect blood, sweat, toil & tears to be evident on both sides. I expect several Oz to have players with awesome reputations. Come on, Aussie! Come on! I just can't treat SA in the same way; they just don't have the pedigree; they just don't have the history, although that is not their fault.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 8:24 GMT)

Emma, just a shame he can't bat and is no longer trusted with the ball.

Posted by zenboomerang on (July 8, 2012, 7:55 GMT)

@RajivSrinivasan Ramasamy... Some interesting points & what many Oz supporters have problems understanding from both Clarke & his selectors... Instead of building up confidence in the 3 teams the NSP have weakened Oz by bringing in players unsuited to the 1 day games... Well the Argus Report said there will be accountability for poor performances, both selectors & players, so it will be interesting to see how our teams stack up over the next few months...

Posted by RyanSmith on (July 8, 2012, 7:49 GMT)

Not a great result for Oz. Coming from a situation where they haven't played any cricket and the weather made warm up games and practice difficult. Eng always had the advantage. Eng have played better so credit to them but the team selection really hasn't done Oz any favours. If they were serious about winning the series, White & Ferguson should have gone in place of Bailey and Forrest. Both have done well in Eng before and with Mr cricket missing their experience would have made a big difference. Dave is perfectly suited to filling his brother's shoes as finisher as he demonstrated with his 70. I would have opened with Wade and had Watson bat 3. S Marsh is another option for the top 3. Christian would have been a good option as he gives depth to the order and O'keefe's batting alone makes him a better choice than Doherty. Aus seemed to care more about certain players experiencing english conditions than winning the series. They need to sort out their 3 best limited overs quicks!

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 7:13 GMT)

I want Steve smith to get a chance ...... his fieldin was great yestrdayy ..... nd he is a young gun !! My fav player is smithy d best so i want him to play in national side !!

Posted by bobagorof on (July 8, 2012, 6:40 GMT)

RajivSrinivasan Ramasamy: What's with picking on Dave Warner? He's at least as a good an ODI batsman as Slater was. Sure, he's a little inconsistent at times but over the last year he's really come on in the One Day game (to the detriment of T20, as it turns out). Your statement of not having him as an ODI batsman even if he scores 50 or 100 is just silly. Valid points on Ferguson and Cosgrove, though. With Forrest and Bailey not looking deserving of their place there is an argument to bring back a couple of batsmen who have had a bit of previous success. Can't understand why Forrest is in the side, he's never been a good One Day player.

Posted by RandyOZ on (July 8, 2012, 6:11 GMT)

I have been saying it for a while now, but our players should be spending less time in the gym and more time in the nets. The obcession with the gym has done nothing. Cheese toasties and nets practice were good enough for Warne!

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 5:55 GMT)

no cricketing nation currently has a set of inept players at pivotal no 1,2,3. Compare this to OZ side of 90's till 2009. you had slater-taylor- Mark waugh and then the incredible langer-hayden-ponting.if any tem wants to make a big total the top 3 needs to fire. No cricketing nation would accept warner as a ODi batsmen even if he scores his odd 50 or 100 he still cant be a odi or a trest batsmen. he is suited for T 20's alone. what has been australlias bane is that the selection process has been tardy. why are guys like callum fergusson and cosgrove getting overlooked for lesser talents like Smith, Jhonson,Forrest and Warner. Why is brett lee still allowed tom play ODI's . he is least threatening when he is not bowling @ 150+. why are people like cutting, Hazelwood not given a run. there is a favouritism in selection, not necessarily NSW bias, but captains preffering loyalists . whatbhas callum fergusson done wrong. he has an avg of 40+ in odis, is that a sin or he cant bowl.

Posted by ozwriter on (July 8, 2012, 5:49 GMT)

i'm getting to like clarke as a captain. humble in victory, and humble and honest after his first series loss. now clarke, as part of the selection panel, make some important decisions. you dropped ponting, now drop forrest, bailey, smith, doherty.

Posted by Leggie on (July 8, 2012, 4:31 GMT)

This kind of loss was always on the cards for the Aussies, for too long their fragile batting was being rescued by Mike Hussey, and occasionally by Michael clarke, the batting lineup has been lacking substance for too long, Worse.., they got into an artificial comfort zone after their victories against a tired and jaded Indian side. Hope this series loss wakes up the Australian cricket board and make them realise that the rebuilding process has been not really taken off after that disastrous ashes defeat.

Posted by Insult_2_Injury on (July 8, 2012, 4:09 GMT)

Chill out everyone! The only sure thing that coulda been expected from a 'series' of 5 ODI's when a team travels to the other side of the world deep in the middle of their off season - with bugger all practice - is for the team to be experimental. Johnson and Watson haven't played for months, Forrest & Bailey aren't a shoe in for anything, but if played, need Wade down the list, while the best scenario for the bowlers is to avoid injuries. Five minutes before this 'tour', Australia announced its new contracts and reduced the number from 22 to 17. Six of those are not - and never were going to be playing in this 'series'. Ignore idiots like Nasser 'Lucky' Hussain et al, who know full well that this ODI squad in no way resembles the ODI squad which will play next year....let alone the Australian Test Squad, or for that matter the Aussia T20 squad.

Posted by landl47 on (July 8, 2012, 4:00 GMT)

I'm sure this has come as a wake-up call to Australia. After some reasonable results against not very good opposition (apart from the win in SA), Aus faced a decent England squad and weren't up to the task. I've been surprised by the gulf between the sides, especially as England haven't looked all that sharp. For those talking about Ponting and Mike Hussey, they'll both be 38 by the time of the next Ashes series. If they are the best Australia has, and it looks as though they might be, I'd make England heavy favorites. However, as I've said many times and I'll say again, this series is meaningless and you can bet on the Aussies fighting like crazy in the next series. England MUST NOT get complacent.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 2:33 GMT)

watson hasnt made a run in 12 months, if we look to brett lee as our main bowler we are in trouble, at best watson should be at 5, we dont have a finisher michael hussey is the finisher but he is getting on not long before he retires if selectors keep selector teams like this we are in big trouble, at moment i would rather play mitchell starc, smith shouldnt be in team if they want him in the team put him at 3 or 3 as a stroke player and clarke bowl him dont dump him at 6 and not bowling whats the point it should be wade and warner opening wade is wasted at 6

Posted by Naren on (July 8, 2012, 2:13 GMT)

Peter Forest does not deserve a place in the team. Australia mostly did decently well when they had Warner and Wade at the top. But they don't want to play them at the top for some reason. Very weird. Even Bailey does not give any confidence. Looks like they have to get Cummins in good fitness if they want to win the Ashes. If Mitch can get his head back, which looks impossible right now, it would favor Australia.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 2:08 GMT)

And y'all talking trash bout west iindies as if they are the only side who strugglel in england for sure i know they put up a better fight than the indians and now the auusis

Posted by Sinhaya on (July 8, 2012, 1:30 GMT)

Good on you Clarkey for not whinging or offering excuses like Dhoni. When you lose always admitting failure is the right thing. It will be a tough Ashes next year from what I see for the Aussies.

Posted by desi1 on (July 8, 2012, 1:13 GMT)

Well played england, they have been so good, or aussies so poor, that it is boring to watch as a neutral fan. before the series i had thought Australia would win this series easily but it has been the exact opposite, it is the manner in which aussies are losing which is sad to see. Will this england team create a massive gap between itself and the next team like steve wauughs austraia and clive lyod WI we shall find out after SA series. There is india tour also but india right now don't seem interested in test cricket and have a very poor team.

One thing still confuses me, is england balling that good or aussies just cant bat. Finn looks outstanding but the remaining dont look that threatening. May be that is why they are so good they don't look threatening they ARE :)

Posted by Hammond on (July 8, 2012, 0:58 GMT)

And England dropped all those catches as well? Clarkey Australia and England are further apart than you think.

Posted by Meety on (July 8, 2012, 0:43 GMT)

@ jmcilhinney/5wombats/Harry_Kool - while the Ozi ODI squad is not what I would of selected for the purposes of winning a series, there are no excuses, Oz have been fairly & squarely. I would imagine that the result here will cause a re-think, as it is clear by Inverarity's comments - that a test series was in mind. That being said as HKool said - Eng can only beat the players in front of them - & they have done so very effectively.

Posted by   on (July 8, 2012, 0:07 GMT)

Lyon hasn't even played in England but will be here for the A tour. Lee's played his last game in England. Watson will need time to recover before facing Pakistan and then the home series against SA. With no Cowan, Ponting, Michael Hussey, Haddin or Lyon in the side, you can't really compare this ODI team to the test team. So the ashes test team for next year will be different. Ponting and Hussey will be the older statesmen, when was the last time Australia had a couple of 37-38 yo batsmen in their team.

Posted by Harry_Kool on (July 7, 2012, 23:33 GMT)

@Wombats.You're just about right in your assessment, that said, you can only play what is against you and your mob have performed at a high standard & fully deserved their victories. On a personal note, I have always struggled to get into the myriad of mindless ODI series (even the ODI after the last Ashes meant squat after the real cricket). As England showed in their 3-0 loss against Pakistan, the #1 ranking is a result of sustained series of wins over a period of time, not the result of a single series. This is Clarke's first series loss, therein one of the reasons the #1 ranking is still there, however that said, an improvement in the next generation is a must to be able to hold the position. Good luck in the test series against the Boks.

Posted by   on (July 7, 2012, 22:23 GMT)

Great news for me because it means Watson will not regain back the Number 1 ODI All-Rounder Ranking :)

Posted by 5wombats on (July 7, 2012, 21:47 GMT)

@jmc. hi mate. You mention the Australia A tour; TBH we think that what we are seeing here IS the Australia A team. Look, this can't be the best Aussie have. Australia are always, ALWAYS competitive - this stuff that we are seeing here is SOOO unlike the Australia; for petes sake they have been number one ranked for so long. There MUST be better players than this back in Aussie - because if there aren't the 2013 Ashes are going to be fun to watch.....

Posted by MMahmood1 on (July 7, 2012, 21:30 GMT)

I dont see michael clarks decision for not selecting RP, Australian team is not like what it was in the last 2 decades. The youngster need RP to learn how to handle pressure in the crunch situation. In my point Australian is on the downward slop due to the reason they spotted Michael Clark as RP's predicessor. Clark is no brainer. The best way forward for Australia is to bring back RP as a captain and utilise his last couple of years and nuture new capatain to succeed Ricky Pointing.

Posted by hhillbumper on (July 7, 2012, 20:58 GMT)

I think it is a shame they are going home.It is far more fun to smash a full strength team.$-0 if it doesn't rain.God knows what would happen if England hit top form and remembered how to field as well.

Posted by   on (July 7, 2012, 20:26 GMT)

Why are all the Aussie bowlers so fragile? Ok, Lee is getting on a bit and his injury record until recent years has been ok for an Aussie fast bowler but the rest of them are so injury prone! Maybe it's because they are all striving for 90+mph balls all the time instead of bowling within themselves? Look at England, they bowl on average 2-3mph slower than their Aussie counterparts and yet they never seem to get injured.....Maybe Australia could learn something from that? Especially as the England attack looks far more threatening in all conditions than this Aussie one does...

Posted by MattyP1979 on (July 7, 2012, 20:24 GMT)

Huss/Punter into this test side will strenghen it no doubt but lets face it there is still a gulf between the sides. Lyon too in the bowling I supppose. It gets worse for Aus, Punter and Huss are 376 years old between them and if their 'test' bowlers cannot get Cook/Trott out when they are aginst the clock what chance will they have when they have time.

Posted by jackthelad on (July 7, 2012, 20:24 GMT)

This is a very poor Australia side (they reckon they're no. 1 in the world?? Don't make me laugh, I've got a split lip!) - and Aussies in general are not very good at accepting that they are second-rate. But this team is clearly second-rate, live with it.

Posted by Cricketfan101 on (July 7, 2012, 20:11 GMT)

People critsized india last year i know india were whitewashed worse but australia batmen play pitches like these and are about to get whitewashed. And now the injuries aswell exactly what happened in the india to expirneced players aswell and australia are supused to be the no1 odi side hopefuly there will be an entertaining last game

Posted by Chris_w78 on (July 7, 2012, 20:10 GMT)

I do like Michael Clarke, seems a decent bloke and is really trying, but unfortunately his team is just not good enough. Despite what some on here would tell us. He must be really worried what happens the last of the old guard-Lee in ODI's and Ponting and Hussey in tests retire. From what I've seen the Australia stocks are very low.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (July 7, 2012, 20:00 GMT)

Very sorry to see the demise of Lee and Watson; not sorry to see the demise of the Australian team. Shane Watson spoke about England's reliance on their top three and their relatively unproven middle order being a possible weakness. As much as people love to throw that back he wasn't necessarily wrong. If Cook, Bell and Trott do fail, as they undoubtedly will at some point, the rest of the batting line-up may not be able to shoulder the burden. At present though, that doesn't look like happening too often. Also, Bopara and Morgan at least have also shown that they are capable of making significant contributions. I'm looking forward to the Australia A tour, to see how England's next generation handle the likes of James Pattinson. It's great pity that Pat Cummins won't be there but playing him in next years Ashes is looking increasingly ill-advised anyway.

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Tour Results
England v Australia at Manchester - Jul 10, 2012
England won by 7 wickets (with 11 balls remaining) (D/L method)
England v Australia at Chester-le-Street - Jul 7, 2012
England won by 8 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)
England v Australia at Birmingham - Jul 4, 2012
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
England v Australia at The Oval - Jul 1, 2012
England won by 6 wickets (with 26 balls remaining)
England v Australia at Lord's - Jun 29, 2012