England v India, 5th ODI, Cardiff

Just another day in Dravid's life

The swansong of his eventful one-day career will coincide with the denouement of a bittersweet tour. Dravid, however, remains focused on the game, even as he affords himself time for reflection

Nagraj Gollapudi in Cardiff

September 15, 2011

Many things have happened to Rahul Dravid on this England tour. He made his maiden century at Lord's, fulfilling a desire that was born the day he made 95 on Test debut at the ground 15 years ago. He opened for virtually the entire Test series barring the first innings of the first Test, and ended up with the Player of the Series trophy on the visitors' side. He walked in the second innings of the third Test at Edgbaston believing the umpire's word for a caught-behind when replays conclusively showed the ball had kissed an aglet on his left shoe-lace. He was shocked to hear the news that the he was part of the Indian one-day squad as reinforcement after injuries had ruled many of the frontline players. He played his first and last Twenty20 international where he hit three consecutive sixes, the most by an Indian in the match. Tomorrow Dravid will not only pull curtains on a "bittersweet" tour but also on his one-day career. Luckily Dravid does not mind that one bit.

Today Dravid was expansive, clear and even tinged his answers with a pinch of wit while facing the media on the eve of his final one-day match. Throughout his career Dravid's was an image of a man unsatisfied, of a man who despite all his achievements and humility, was struggling to prove something to himself, more than to the outside world. In some ways his battle with the self always benefited Indian cricket as he grew into the role of crisis manager. He climbed up the batting ladder to occupy a permanent position in the top order primarily at three and four where his best batting was seen.

Being a grafter at the first-class level, Dravid found life difficult in his formative years in the one-day game. But once he returned in 1999 having faced the axe a few times in his first three years, he transformed himself into a batsman who could pace an innings cleverly despite never going for the slog. He even led India, kept wickets, and moved up and down the order in search of pressure situations. He did everything that was asked of him and more. Today he explained how he could pull it off.

"I probably had to work harder in one-day cricket than in Tests. It has given me a lot satisfaction that I have been able to achieve so much," Dravid said. "When I started my career, obviously I wasn't recognised as much of a one-day cricketer, [I was] probably more in the traditional frame of mind. That's how I grew up playing cricket, that's how I played my Ranji Trophy cricket. So there was a lot more learning that I had to do in one-day cricket along the way. I faced some ups and downs, I got dropped in the middle, I had to go back and learn some lessons, I had to improve my game, keep getting better."

Rahul Dravid slaps one towards point, England v India, 4th ODI, Lord's, September 11, 2011
"I probably had to work harder in one-day cricket than in Tests" © AFP

But Dravid acknowledged the advantages of early struggle and the I-am-only-going-to-improve attitude. "It helped free up my Test game and it has given me lot of satisfaction," Dravid said of his one-day resurgence. "I have done a lot of different things for India in one-day cricket. In some ways that versatility, that ability to do different things helped me a lot. You open the batting, it is different; batting at three is different; keeping and then batting, batting and then keeping ... so many different situations that I found myself in. It helped me grow as a person and cricketer."

Currently Dravid is the seventh highest run-maker and eighth in the list of most ODI appearances, something even he didn't envisage when he started playing. "The fact that I played over 300 games, [and made] close to 11,000 runs gives me a lot of satisfaction. Maybe people might have said at some stage that I will have successful Test career, but I guess not many people would have said that I'll play that many one-dayers at the start of my career. I wouldn't have said that about myself."

Though he did not shortlist his best one-day innings, Dravid pointed out reaching the final of the 2003 World Cup as one of the highlights of his career. Equally satisfying, he said, was watching MS Dhoni's side win the World Cup earlier this year even if Dravid was not part of the squad. "As a young kid in 1983, watching Kapil Dev lift the World Cup was a huge inspiration for me as a 10-year-old. Towards the end of my career, watching another Indian team and being part of the journey in some ways, and watching a team led by Dhoni in 2011 has been really satisfying," Dravid said. The biggest disappointment for him would be the failure to make the Super Sixes in the 2007 World Cup where India lost to Bangladesh in the league stage. He was the captain, and has still not come to terms with that disappointment.

The intensity in their training, the discipline, the hardwork have been the pillars on which Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble and Dravid built their success. These were also the characteristics that aided in the trio's longevity. "If you want to play international cricket and international sport for a long period of time, there are certain sacrifices that you need to make and discipline that you need to follow," Dravid said. "To be honest I have never seen them as sacrifices. I love the lifestyle of a cricketer, I love being a cricketer, l liked playing for my country. In some ways I feel lucky that I enjoy hitting the balls in the nets, I enjoy working hard and I enjoy practising. Sometimes when people ask me 'what will you do after cricket', I feel I will miss just that intensity of preparation, the practice."

In the last two months Dravid has always been the first player to come out an hour or two before the rest of the Indian squad assembled for training. Today was no different. He was at SWALEC stadium, facing throw-downs from Trevor Penney, the Indian fielding coach. It was a beautiful sunny day, and the trees surrounding the small ground dazzled in the vintage autumn colours of red, gold and orange. Comfortable in his own space, Dravid set about working on minor adjustments to his batting technique. It does not matter to him that he won't have to play another ODI after tomorrow.

"I am not dreading quitting. You just recognise that the time has got to come at some stage when you have got to move on. I am happy and I am comfortable in the space that I am in. I am happy with the way my career has progressed, how it has progressed in both forms of the game."

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by RandyOZ on (September 19, 2011, 15:46 GMT)

a real shame dravid will never escape tendulkar the dead rubber speacialist's shadow.

Posted by Aashish_goyal on (September 18, 2011, 19:58 GMT)

@cricketisgame..mate i am talking about the true facts..not like you making the irrelevant statements.

Posted by cricketisagame on (September 18, 2011, 18:49 GMT)

Its a pity people like Aashis_goyal want to take this opportunity to criticise RD rather than saluting the great wall. You really dont need to praise Tendulkar here since everyone know what he did in the England tour. Its surprising that these people were silent for about 300 one days RD played and suddenly they realised that he is not a good one day player. Even Dhoni said he wanted RD to anchor the innings and we did see the Indian team failed to bat 50 overs. I dont understand what this guy is talking about. The people outside Indian knows very well the talent of RD but not Indians like Aashis_goyal

Posted by Aashish_goyal on (September 18, 2011, 17:51 GMT)

I know this is Dravid's column but as i read some comments about Tendulkar ..so just for those people..if you want to rate Dravid,compare him with Chanderpaul whose stats and style is similar ..but SRT is at a level which needs lot of determination,hard work,aggression,sincerity,stability,consistency,molding according to situation and many more features which only the legend SACHIN Tendulkar has.

Posted by Amirul_Islam_BD on (September 18, 2011, 15:17 GMT)

Good decision taken by Dravid. Focus on the test cricket(actual cricket). No doubt he is the wall of India.Over the years he has been serving the Indian team in command. He fought alone in England 2011 Test. we salute you. Best of luck in test cricket.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2011, 11:55 GMT)

Ask any Pakistani, they will say the feared\admired Dravid much much more than Sachin.

Wish you best of the luch Rahul.

Posted by Rashmita on (September 18, 2011, 11:04 GMT)

Dravid has been my favourite cricketer from the time I understood the game.He is truly the best.Despite being overshadowed by Tendulkar, Dravid was always a class apart.THE Wall has been the backbone of Indian cricket.With the end of his ODI career, the tests are still there to live the square cut shots. Way to go Dravid........

Posted by FarhanSabir on (September 18, 2011, 9:58 GMT)

As a Pakistani, I must admit that whenever I was watching pak vs india, test match or ODI, I was always praying that he gets out soon...because he was such a consistent run scoring machine, and most of the times he would get not just 100s but big 100s. Some people might disagree but to me he always looked dangerous then tendulkar. Its a big loss for india and the world of cricket. I sure am gonna miss him a lot.

With lots of respect for 'the Wall' Farhan

Posted by   on (September 18, 2011, 8:52 GMT)

Great players are like this.In his last match his knock proved that he can play at his will.Not many can do this.A GREAT BATSMAN.A TRUE GENTLEMAN.

Posted by sweetspot on (September 18, 2011, 7:46 GMT)

Dravid is my Test match hero, but has really not done anything in ODIs to merit so much inclusion. On numerous occasions, Dravid has dropped anchor, technically and gracefully, only to grind India out of games it could have won with some adventurous hitting. Sachin is the more complete batsman of his generation purely because of his ability to bat according to the situation and force the issue upon the opposition. With the kind of batting talent India has today, someone like Dravid will have no chance of getting into the ODIs.

Posted by Educated_Circle on (September 18, 2011, 6:53 GMT)

This is a true story of Rahul D Everybody's Hero. It goes like His rock solid defense violin notes of Pitilu Chowdiah. His Pull shot stylish as Zakir Hussian at tabla. His straight drives smooth as Bismillah Khan's shehanai and Jagjit Singh's voice. His classic cover, on drives musical as M.S. Subbalakshmi, Bhimsen Joshi, Balamuralikrishna, concert. His follow through classical as Bharatnatyam, Kathak, Kathakali, Odissi, Manipuri. His crackling square cuts I like to dedicate that sound to our jawans crackling their guns to save us and our country, like Rahul saves our country from defeats. His perfect sweep shot mirrors everyday Indian working hard to make a perfect family. A quintessential Indian honest humble team country first record later type respects job colleagues opponent peer accepts decision it goes for or against. All young Indians should learn from Gentleman RAHUL SHARAD DRAVID A.K.A GREAT WALL OF INDIA. I am first but will say it anyway THIS MAN DESERVES THE "BHARAT RATNA"

Posted by Aashish_goyal on (September 18, 2011, 5:32 GMT)

Dravid is a very good test batsman...No doubt about that,but he should have retired long time ago from ODIs.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2011, 5:25 GMT)

Dravid is a great test cricketer. But in onde day macthes he ensured india lost a lot of mathces due to his slow batting. He could not rotate strike, he could not find gaps. But post 2001 he improved a lot. But still a career strike rate of 71 he at most became a good support player in One Day matches. Against Australia the best team of the era he could not do much in One Day macthes becasue they could very easily sort him out. Also its note worthy that aginst best australian side in 1999-2000 on Australian soild and in South africa through out his carrer his technique got exposed from time to time in test macthes also. But still over all in test macthes he has been an extraordinary palyer. Also in One dayers for las t four years without below par Dravid India has been very successful winning many tournaments and the World Cup.

Posted by ravichakra on (September 18, 2011, 4:36 GMT)

I promise that I will never follow ODI's ever again. A dark day in the history of Indian ODI cricket. This is not the end of a chapter but the end of the book called ODI as far as I am concerned.......The Wall stands Tall yet again.......

Posted by naveenpnayak on (September 18, 2011, 3:45 GMT)

Dravid- Is no doubt the best cricketer that India has ever produced.. What a good timer of the ball he was.. Will surely miss his Square cut shots.. He has done the right thing by making way to the youngsters.. He is still the backbone for the Test Matches.. Way to go Dravid.. :)

Posted by   on (September 18, 2011, 1:00 GMT)

DRAVID my hero, well done well played .To me you are the best cricketer India has produced till now much ahead of Gavaskar, Kapil and Kumble. Ofcourse Sachin is no comparison to you in real performance and modesty

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 23:23 GMT)

Rahul is the only reason behind me for making me a indian player fan and watch india's matches we misss u RAHULL BABAAAAA and my friend kash realy love u rahull he is a big faan of u realy miss u

Posted by Roshan_P on (September 17, 2011, 22:04 GMT)

I am 15 and a massive Dravid fan. Rahul Sharad Dravid is the most technically gifted batsmen in the world. He analyses every single aspect of the game and knows exactly what to do in any situation. The tougher the situation the more Dravid comes in to his element. His grit, determination, intelligence, strength and stamina have been his secret along with his amazing talent and technique. But the main reason I look up to him is his true gentlemanly spirit. He has been very badly treated by the BCCI, being dropped many times and manipulated in their favour. But he never complained and met everything that was thrown at him. A completely selfless man who always played for India. I was always disappionted that the Indian public didn't value him much like they valued Sachin, everybody's comments here and in India has filled me with happiness.

Sir, if you are reading this, YOU ARE MY HERO AND I LOVE YOU. God bless you. You are the true saviour of Indian cricket, and we honour and salute you.

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 17:38 GMT)

i think he ws one of the greatest player of India. being cool n playing patiently ws his specila quality..he is known as the wall of indian cricket team.. n adding bricks one by one in his wall..i will miss him very much...apart frm thecricket he is very humble n calm person, in the tenure of his 15 years i have never seen him to being aggressive n doing argument with his colleague. he is such as gret personality.. he is my ideal. n he is the person who inspired most in my life.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (September 17, 2011, 14:46 GMT)

RAHUL DRAVID: The ONLY reason a CANADIAN in me decided to give test cricket a TRY. I take my hat off to you !!

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 14:41 GMT)

I will miss him a lot! HE was a legend,the wall,best captain, and a extraordinary batsman of all time,,,,Heads off 2 RAHUL DRAVID!!!

Posted by krnataraj on (September 17, 2011, 14:22 GMT)

the unsung hero like grv!! the tendulkars and ganguly's to a great extent had media hype behind them to make everyone believe that they were bigger contributors to indian cricket and which is really not the truth. the match winning statistics of this great gentleman cricketer is a true testimony as to what kind of a selfless team man he was and not someone interested in scoring record tons or giving interviews to the media!!

Posted by Rafelgibt on (September 17, 2011, 13:51 GMT)

Its really a sorry moment for me while Mr. Dravid is retiring from ODI.He is my one of the few all time favourite cricketer. He was such a class act for IND in the both format of game.I salute Mr. Dravid............He must be remembered for his unbelievable consistancy,calmness and most important thing the tag of brand embassador of ' Fair Play' in the history of CRICKET.

Posted by Prabh_Hundal on (September 17, 2011, 12:44 GMT)

DRAVID IS THE BEST !!!!!!!!!

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 12:37 GMT)

Rahul is the only reason behind me for making me a cricket fan and watch cricket even though i am in the midst of a midnight

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 12:11 GMT)

Now onwards when india loosing the wicket we , INDIANS WILL REMBER OUR GREAT INDIAN CRICKETER ,THE WALL AND INDIAN CRICKET LEGEND RAHUL DRAVID very much ,,WE MISS YOU "DRAVID"

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 12:09 GMT)

RAHUL DRAVID One of the most Technical and patient batsman you will ever see in cricket and especially in this time when T20 cricket is picking the pace so much. I myself alongwith millions and millions of his fans will miss him in One day cricket arena despite of unthinkable and unimaginable selection to keep him out of it we were always optimistic and somewhere in out heart we wanted him to play for India regularly. He was the main reason alongwith God Sachin, Saurav,Anil Kumble whose sheer hardwork,professional ethics,dedication,sacrifice,passion and love for cricket made Indian Cricket reach the pinnacle and achieve what it has achieved in the last decade or so. Rahul Dravid stands out especially beacuse he was the one who was always ready to bear the extra burden whether it is keeping or moving up and down the order all because for to achieve success for team and for his country. I Salute and just say Thanks because any praise would be very little for Rahul Dravid. We love You.

Posted by Team_NJ on (September 17, 2011, 11:35 GMT)

If Rahul Dravid was German, East Germany and West Germany could have never be reunited..

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 11:24 GMT)

he is the only bastmen on which india stood first in the icc test ranking

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 11:10 GMT)

Rahul Dravid ! a true gentleman..

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 10:15 GMT)

Dravid has memorable one day innings' as well. His 154 in Hyderabad when sachin made 186, His 145 in England in 1999 when Ganguly made 183 and His 104 when Gangule made 153 are his best. He has saved Indian team from loosing wickets and loss many times. People who knows cricket knows Dravid

Posted by vivekit56 on (September 17, 2011, 9:42 GMT)

When indian team needs dravid stood tall as wall ....salute the great man

Posted by Md.Nazir on (September 17, 2011, 9:08 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is a true star, he is a genius in Test Cricket and as well as one day cricket. i have seen him from the start of his career , he really hard work and gave all his efforts to become as a perfect batsman with his solid defense and placement of his shorts as a batsman, whenever he comes to bat, he gave 100 percent efforts and bated brilliantly under pressure and won lot of matches for India , he achieve several landmarks and broke several records. The Indian team needs batsman like him in test cricket and as well as one day cricket in future .Hats off to you !!' God bless

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 8:36 GMT)

Awesome Player hard to find a replacement for him....lets c him in tests atleast for some time

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 8:13 GMT)

sachin is known as god of indian crickt,laxman is known 2 b the 4th innings god,saurav is the second god ,but al the gods r around the WALL OF INDIAN CRICKET rahul dravid.

Posted by RMHASHIM on (September 17, 2011, 7:38 GMT)

One of the greatest in the fireld bows out !The WALL has never complained, though treated badly at times by the selectors. Hard worker to the core.Every run was with effort and the sweat pouring showed the kind of intensity level he would reach.His judgement outside the offstump was immaculate and no one except Sunil Gavaskar would come near. My personal liking to him was so spontaneous when he made his mark and my idol list from Karnataka grows, GRVishy, Kumle and Dravid Great man with so much modesty .Hats off to you !!' God bless

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 7:30 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is a true gentleman, the most accurate batsman I have seen . I remember the comments that Dinesh Kaneria made for him. The way dravid bats; he does not even need pads while batting! hats off for the champ!

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 7:21 GMT)

Great batsman of all time, a living legend,we will remember him for long time

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 7:17 GMT)

A great batsmen..... truly a team player... 1000 times better than SRT when it comes to selflessness and team goal.......

Posted by vicky1234 on (September 17, 2011, 7:02 GMT)

He was my favorite cricketer , he will be missed by me and the whole world

he was the cricket legend

and he was the wall .............................

thank u for showing us ur talent giving us ur best in every match .............

THANKS ....................

Posted by netbabji on (September 17, 2011, 6:07 GMT)

UNSUNG HERO OF INDIAN CRICKET. There is One Kumble & There is Only one Dravid to Save a Match always.

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 5:52 GMT)

great batsman of his time, a legend,we will remember him for long time

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 4:27 GMT)

I was watching the match yesterday. when Rahul Dravid got out, Ravi & Bumble was there in the commentory box. Ravi did not utter a single word about Dravid when he was walking off the park. considering he is a representative of BCCI on TV, it looks as if BCCI is not interested in Classy test players...God save Indian Cricket. I hope Champions League and next IPL would be a flop show

Posted by sg05 on (September 17, 2011, 2:42 GMT)

great legend RAHUL DRAVID

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 1:37 GMT)

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 1:14 GMT)

Dravid a fine gentleman, accomplished player, most of the time his achievements gets drowned with all other hypes in Indian Cricket.His contributions have always come at difficult conditions and are of high quality. He is not given the due weight age he deserves. His only blemish was when the misfit for Indian Cricket, Greg Chappel dragged him to captaincy and made him his puppet !!Finally he snubbed selectors by announcing his retirement from shorter versions, when they included him in the ODIs.

Posted by Sundyp on (September 17, 2011, 1:11 GMT)

I believed in Miracles do happen. When Rahul Dravid was selected for the Compaq and ICC Champions trophy. I thought yes it's a miracle to see Rahul Dravid back in blue jersy. Subsequently he was dropped even after being the 2nd highest run getter in championship series. After not being picked in for WC2011 ODI I thought the dream to see RD back in blue jersy and get a farewell to the ODI game has been shattered... but then I believed in Miracles do Happen and it happend again when non of the India batsmen could take the pace and swing of the english bowlers. One batsmen stood tall in the Test matches no other than Rahul Dravid. I had somewhere in my mind that I would be able to see Rahul Dravid back in blues. It was a dream come true for me to see Dravid signing off on high in the ODI. Going with his fitness we will certainly see Rahul Dravid in test for another couple of years. God Bless Rahul Dravid.. Perfect Gentleman of Cricket...

Posted by   on (September 17, 2011, 1:10 GMT)

5 matches; 124 runs at SR 77.50 (probably the least strike rate of the series); the ODI series was still painful for Dravid. I am quite amazed how a legend who has played so many matches still finds the going always tough. I tried to go through my memory; legends like llara, kallis, sachin, mark waugh, ponting, inzamam..not one was found wanting when quick runs were required. Even youngsters yuvraj, raina, the debutant bairstow didn't find it half tough. I am happy I wont see him in ODIs but annoyed that i had to endure those five innings for that!

Posted by Sherin_George on (September 16, 2011, 23:55 GMT)

Loved you Dravid< you have been the greatest of players India has produced.. Your determination and will to suceed and take up tough challenges is still to be seen in even the other greats of the game... What is impressive is that your records and runs dont come against eay opponents or in easy conditions but in tough conditions and against tough opponents.... I have a lot of respect for you for what you have done for the country and what you have personally achieved...

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 22:39 GMT)

Farewell. LOVED dravid's batting in test matches but not in one-days

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 21:57 GMT)

he will be missed...always....

Posted by psubbu79 on (September 16, 2011, 21:54 GMT)

I had the privilege of knowing Rahul personally. An extra special person who prefers to have his bat do the talking than speaking about it. Very humble and a man of great character. I have been to his home a couple of times. Very laid back and soft spoken person! But a great person with a great heart! I studied in the same school as him and when I got selected for the school team, my goal was to emulate Rahul. Like he always says, "Strong buildings rest on strong foundations". We always knew right from seeing him play for St Josephs and playing those match-winning knocks, that Rahul is Unique and there can be just one of him. Will miss you Jammy!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 20:01 GMT)

there is only a wall in cricket history and it will remain alone!!! gr8 job sir!!!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 19:38 GMT)

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 19:07 GMT)

A Legend in Cricket World. We are going to miss the BEST MAN in CREASE(THE WALL). We all Salute the Greatest Cricketer of INDIA. We all wish him he should continue his performance in TEST cricket..We are proud of you DRAVID. He is truly a legend.... He has always been absolutely flawless and hats off to him on his last ODI match.

"we MISS u"

Posted by US_Indian on (September 16, 2011, 18:38 GMT)

I would say and i think would be a perfect complement to this great man- What Lords is to cricket, Dravid is to cricket-Dravid is the Lord of cricket . A gentleman to the core, a truely unsung hero whose contribution was quite significant to the current status India has gained, very selfless human being but unfortunately others hogged the limelight, he along with Kumble were the true pillars of indian cricket who performed silently and kept smiling and even the opponents could not but smile on their performance and awe inspiring hard work and talent, which our unfortunate media and public could not much justice.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 18:23 GMT)

Dravid is Dr.Cricket..........

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 18:21 GMT)

I don't know what to say. I always had a dream ( and can't express how bad i wanted to) to see Rahul Dravid play live in that "blue jersey". And now it will always be a dream goddamn.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 18:02 GMT)

there is no replacment for Dravid in indian cricket right now . He is the greatest warriour. he is one of the most talented cricketer i ever seen. well done Rahul well done. we proud to say u as leagend. and made it in your last inning also 170 runs stand for 3rd wicket which is your favourate. we salute u Rahul.there is no replacment for Dravid in indian cricket right now . He is the greatest warriour. he is one of the most talented cricketer i ever seen. well done Rahul well done. we proud to say u as leagend. and made it in your last inning also 170 runs stand for 3rd wicket which is your favourate. we salute u Rahul.

Posted by Vasi-Koosi on (September 16, 2011, 17:48 GMT)

There have been 2 innings by Indian batsmen have been a little out of character; 1> the 100 by Azar off 62 balls 2> the 50 by Rahul Dravid off 22 balls It is just a coincidence that both these innings came against NZL. A true team man; Hopefully he continues in test matches for a while

Posted by HarishVS on (September 16, 2011, 17:38 GMT)

@sohailh - your comments says it all. This is the man who scored that wonderful century at Rawalpindi and India won and the Pakistani fan loving him. No other tribute will be greater on this day to this rare to rarest gem of a cricketer. I can't write any more comments than salute this great cricketing soul!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 17:04 GMT)

We will miss The Wall Of Indaian Cricket "DRAVID" in ODI... :(

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 16:49 GMT)

no words of this universe can quantify his achievements Yet he was one of the real hero of Indian sports both on and off the field Hats off to u Dravid

Posted by voyager on (September 16, 2011, 16:27 GMT)

Excellence -with hardwork and ethics. Thankyou Rahul for your continued contribution and good times. _From Pakistan.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 16:01 GMT)

Dravid is a gentleman through and through: his conduct, both as a cricketer and role model, has always been impeccable. The kind of treatment that was meted out to him after the 2007 World Cup will always serve as a reminder of the BCCI's shameless disregard for the concepts of respect and dignity. Contrary to public perception, Dravid was a terrific ODI batsman who could read the state of play and shift gears accordingly. A team man to the core, he has always been India's pillar of strength in times of trouble.

Lack of proper appreciation by the public cannot take the shine off Dravid's greatness. The value of his achievements and contribution to Indian cricket is immeasurable.

It's not surprising to learn that what Dravid will miss the most is not the accolades and fanfare but the intense practice sessions: this is precisely what we respect and admire him so much for! Here is a gentleman who played the gentleman's game!

Posted by Percy_Fender on (September 16, 2011, 15:27 GMT)

(contd) against an SS look alike in Alan Donald, Brian Macmillan and others, Dravid was at his brilliant best. He even hit the unforgiving Donald for a six over his head. Rahul was monklike that day not taunting as they are today.Just cricketing ability on view to the exclusion of everything else. It is for all the above mentioned qualities that I wish he takes over as the batting coach of team India. The youngsters are talented without a doubt. What they need is a well rounded personality development such as Rahul is capable of bringing about.What is more is that he and Duncan Fletcher already a titan amongst coaches, get along quite well.Like Anil Kumble has got into cricket administration in Karnataka, I think Rahul needs to be persuaded. He is invaluable not just because he has achieved so much. He has the rich Indore ( erstwhile Holkar) cricketing pedigree apart from his great own family background.Even if he is more of a St Joseph's and Bangalore boy he has a role to play now.

Posted by Percy_Fender on (September 16, 2011, 15:27 GMT)

Rahul Dravid's baptism in both first class and Test matches was not overly spectacular. In both these games, the latter being at Lords, the world got a glimpse of a batsman with a geatr future which he today is not just by his achievements on the field of play but by his impeccable behaviour and humility. It may be hard for some to believe that he is one of a handful of players who have scored more than 10,000 runs in both Tests and in ODIs.Having followed his career from before his Test debut, I feel happy that I was so right in my faith in this young man.He has had his share of ups and downs in his career.But a measure of his greatness lies in the fact that, he introspected time and again and got over the problems magnified by the media to come up as the ultimate winner,His game was always made for England given his ability to delay his stroke. But on his first trip to Australia he seemed suspect on bouncier wickets.He vowed to get over that and did as we saw in 2004.In South Africa

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 15:02 GMT)

His classic cover drive at Lord's in his Test debut was probably my longest serving wallpaper. The Gentleman of the game. 10820 runs. Hope he makes 180 today. At least then his ODI career may be remembered.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 14:11 GMT)

Truth be said, I am not a crazy fan of Rahul Dravid at all.. I have enjoyed watching his style of batting though.. I just consider him one of the most seemingly very educated, intelligent and sensible speakers from the cricketing fraternity :) I never turn of the TV when he is speaking.. :)

Posted by Naresh28 on (September 16, 2011, 13:59 GMT)

Dravid was tall, strong and meticulous. This is why he is called the wall. He is a unique in indian cricket. I fear that our new lot of batsman do not have the same stature as Dravid. Given this he was able to cope easily with the English fast bowlers than others. Maybe only Yuvraj comes close but lacks other abilities that Dravid had. Short Indian batsman are given a torrid time with short pitch bowling. Dravid has always been my favorite. Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Ganguly will always be remembered as the FAB FOUR of India. They were responsilble for India reaching the pinnacle which English fans today dispute. India's main worry in the future is the fast bowling department which needs to addressed by the BCCI.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 13:49 GMT)

RD..........True Legend and simply True Class Act.............I rate him one of top 3 batsman in any format of game

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 13:36 GMT)

We Miss Dravid and his CLASSIC drives ... true LEGEND and one of the GREATEST player the CRICKETING world ever seen ....

Posted by worldchampionsx3 on (September 16, 2011, 12:56 GMT)

One of the legends of the game. We will miss you Dravid!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 12:41 GMT)

Watching Rahul Dravid right from his ranji I always knew Rahul will make it to International cricket. Being Kannadiga I always keen on Rahul Dravids progress. Still I can remember his first International Debut against Pakisthan he made 21 runs I believe. and the Biggest compliment from the Great Wasim Akram after the match. "....... What that impressed me the most is His Technique and Short selection. We are watching an Highly talented artistic genius doing his work ................"

True to Wasims words. we have watched an Highly talented genius doing his work all these years. Well done Dravid. Good show not only as a cricketer as a human being. you are one of the greats of all time in the cricketing world.

Wishing you a happy retired life.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 12:37 GMT)

Thanks for your broad shoulders that carried INDIAN cricket to the next LEVEL ! You deserve a lot more than what INDIAN Selectors have given you back. We love you and you will go in history as one of the greatest batsmen in the game ! Proud to say I watched you in pretty much all the matches you have every played !

Well played SIR !

Posted by AbuUSA on (September 16, 2011, 12:12 GMT)

@SV_Ravi - Wall Dravid was born in Indore - my home town. He is a Gem from Indore but don't mind sharing him with you if you call him Bangalori. Ring can be in pinky or ring finger - it does not matter - it just makes hand beautiful. He is precious ring of India.

To Rahul - please don't let 2007 disappointment bother you. It happens in every sport to every player. This is what makes you strong and encourages you to work hard. You deserve and are on top of the world. Enjoy. Will miss you but will not forget you.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 12:10 GMT)

HATS OFF to u Dravid u hv been a gr8 ambassador of India Cricket.....I salute u champ. ..............

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 12:01 GMT)

Posted by Jim_Reeves on (September 16, 2011, 12:00 GMT)

We'll miss you Rahul.. Thanks for your true sportsmanship which helped to keep the spirit of the Game.. A true Soldier...We'll miss your heroics...

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:58 GMT)

Its good to see so many Pakistani's appreciating RSD. That shows the kind of effect RSD has on people watching cricket. Long live THE GREAT WALL OF INDIA. We may miss you in ODIs but not from our hearts.. or as long as cricket exists, you will be there ! I plead team India to win this last and final match and pay a fitting tribute to our great wall.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:58 GMT)

This world will never see a batsman like Rahul Sharad Dravid. A maestro in his living. One of the greatest batsman n captain n fielder India has seen in years. u LL BE TRULY MISSED..!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:51 GMT)

Simply Hats Off to you Mr.Dravid....You are just awesome...A LEGEND.....

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:48 GMT)

We are proud of you DRAVID. Every Cricket follower knows that you are not treated the way you should. Its like your career ended proving you are a class act every single time. I want you to score another 7-8 centuries in your left Test career..

Posted by harirpakash on (September 16, 2011, 11:47 GMT)

Truely Rahul is India's LEGEND,We are missing dat legend in this format,I love rahul batting very much, we salute u rahul for ur performance WE MISS U RAHUL..........

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:38 GMT)

its truth that dravid is the greatest batsman in the world and no body become dravid in thier life

Posted by doncl on (September 16, 2011, 11:30 GMT)

Being a Sri Lankan fan, my favourite Indian cricketer is Rahul Dravid. I really like the way he does his business (on and off the field). All the best to him and hoping to see him in Tests and may be as a coach in future. Sri Lanka should definitely look at hiring him as a batting coach, because there is a reson to call him the WALL. And the Sri Lankans are not doing well with the bat these days.

Posted by anand32026 on (September 16, 2011, 11:30 GMT)

Indian selectors are selfish...When they need RD they call RD...They call RD in S.A. where The Champions Trophy can take place they call RD because they know RD plays good cricket in SA conditions....then they dropp RD for 2years..Again they call in England because he makes 2 century in 3 matches in test match.... Selectors are very very selfish....................

Posted by Andy.rockz on (September 16, 2011, 11:18 GMT)

12 hundreds and 82 half centuries that alone says how many times he must have held the responsibility to the cricket he is the federe of tennis Rahul rocks on and off the field Mr.Cricket and its true 200%

Posted by Edavana on (September 16, 2011, 11:17 GMT)

Irrespective of how many runs he scores or any fielding lapses from him in the game tonight, Rahul Dravid will always be remembered, respected and regarded as a model cricketeer for generations to come. I am elder to him by age, but respect him for the gentleman he is, to the true spirit of the game, the classic style in which he plays, the way he conducts himself both on and off the field and the gentle and polished way he presents himself. This man deserves more respect than he is getting! Unfortunately, he belongs to an era of Indian Cricket where Sachin and Ganguly were his contemporaries who overshadowed his achievements! Dravid, we will miss you in One-day format. But we hope you would still stay a couple more years in Test Cricket! Well done and right decision at right time to quit One Day Cricket!

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (September 16, 2011, 11:15 GMT)

Rahul, I'm so happy to see you in colored clothing one last time. Having said that, I'm not able to express how sad I am that I won't be seeing you again in this format. I'm sure I will be uncontrollably sad today. So, I've decided not to watch your last game. It'll be unbearable to see you walking back, never to return back. It's scary to imagine you walking back into the dressing room, never to return again. Now, I can't even imagine how my life's going to be once you call it a day from test cricket. There is no cricket for me without you Rahul. Please don't retire. Please........a humble request with tearful eyes and burdened heart.......You have lot of cricket left in you......in all the formats. You can play IPL but not for your country? How mean of you Rahul.... Please don't retire........PLEASE......

Posted by mhk21 on (September 16, 2011, 11:13 GMT)

lets hope his last match in odi can be the FIRST win for india in england this tour ........

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:12 GMT)

@ Suresh Lalvani : Do you remember Dravid's catch in the first Test at Lord's .,? Can you recollect who holds the record for most number of catches in Test history?Do you remember his age? It's mind blowing that he's still at his best,..i think you do not know cricket to post comments about Dravid here Last bust not least, If Dravid alone does everything, for what are the rest of all the players who are in this tour and others who got their bounty full from the WC win, getting paid for ?????? Please reserve your comments while responding to aricles pertaining to Dravid.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:12 GMT)

For Indian Cricket, Sachin Tendular is GOD but Rahul Dravid is the WALL for GOD...

The back bone of Indian Cricket for last more than 15 years...

A true patriot of India, who played as Captain, Batsman, Wicket keeper, Fielder, Bowler, every time he tried to give 100% cricket without any controversy.

No player are in the world who stand nearby Rahul Dravid in cricket.

We miss you Rahul.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 11:03 GMT)

ohhhhhhh very sad rahul great batsman of world time

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 10:56 GMT)

Nothing to say anything salute to the legend....

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 10:49 GMT)

dravid u r the best come on india do for dravid

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 10:44 GMT)

india wil mis a legend....

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 10:41 GMT)

Mr. Suresh... India was let down by Dravid.. He might have missed some chances.. but what about Dhoni.. Have you not seen the chances dropped by Dhoni in these past four months...

Praise the legend of the Game.. Salute you Mr. Dravid for working as a true gentleman and a true servant of Indian Cricket team..

Posted by sachinpragal on (September 16, 2011, 10:26 GMT)

Salute The Great wall of india , We will miss you lot , The LEGENDER, The FIGHTER , NO WORDS to describe you............................... I LOVE YOU DRAVID.

Posted by Sarthak1305 on (September 16, 2011, 10:25 GMT)

The biggest question that lies in front of us Indians is that where will we find a another team man like Dravid who would do just about anything for the team from hitting 2nd fastest Odi 50 by an Indian to oh so many times saving india from a collapse. From keeping to batting and then making way for the young generations and helpthem in their time of need you Dravid sir are a legend and Indian crikcteres and fans are a bit unsure of who will save us when we need an anchor now that this is your last game

Posted by veerakannadiga on (September 16, 2011, 10:23 GMT)

Bye Bye one day cricket.With RD quitting ODI's I will stop watching 50-50.I have been watching cricket since time immemorial. Once RD quits TESTS, I will stop watching cricket forever. Cricket will never be the same without RD. People like RD,Kumble,G R Vishy,Kapil Dev are players who can never be replaced. Fighters,Gentlemen,Patriots,Humble,Modest........running out of adj....

Posted by JawadSyed on (September 16, 2011, 10:22 GMT)

A great batsman and a thorough gentleman

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 10:18 GMT)

A Legend in Cricket World. We are going to miss the BEST MAN IN CREASE. We (Bad Boys Cricket Club, Valparai) all Salute the Greatest Cricketer of INDIA. We all wish him he should continue his performance in TEST cricket..

With Love, Charles BBCC (Captain)

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 10:01 GMT)

Thank god, "the Wall" did not hinder the world cup win of India (by not playing!!!)

Posted by GRAMMY_SACHIN on (September 16, 2011, 9:57 GMT)

What a Player and richly deserves the Farewell. I wish him all the very best for his future, and thank him for all the joy he brought to all of us through his wonderful cricket. I still remember how he struggled in the initial years in ODI's and later became one of the all time great in ODI (In test he is already a Legend). This is an ample proof to everyone that if you are good at Test Cricket, then you can adapt to any forms of the game and not vice versa as Raina & Kohli & others are finding out. My request to BCCI & all active & future cricket players, to develop your skills for the TEST matches, and the rest will automatically follow with adaptation / fine tuning. CHAK DE JAMMY WALL

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 9:55 GMT)

Dravid's fielding in the past four months has let India down.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 9:50 GMT)

DRAVID - the legend player, Gentleman, true sportsman - Nobody can replace Dravid................................Nothing to say more.................Salute to the Legend

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 9:40 GMT)

One of d gr8s in d Indian cricket.....................Pillar of india.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 9:34 GMT)

we miss u dravid, a selfless cricketer, never before and never again......

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 9:33 GMT)

rahul we miss u a lot............

Posted by Mandavya on (September 16, 2011, 9:29 GMT)

The wall ,even though it will go behind the curtains remains SOLID forever…… TO be frank , Indian cricket board has never properly managed to build a fort; instead is keen to design lustrous palaces with every chance of falling anytime

"It helped free up my Test game, and it has given me lot of satisfaction," Dravid said a day before his last ODI. "I have done a lot of different things for India in one-day cricket. In some ways that versatility, that ability to do different things helped me a lot."

The above lines give a jist of his instinct to remain fine tuned, and not even a hint of being pathetic anywhere in his journey Nowadays, one day cricket s not looking to remain a Gentlemen's game… Its seen as it is just handed over to the younger shoulders....

Hey Dravid , u just rock in the sense that u are leaving the shorter formats for boys and still continues to be "A Real MAN" opting only to play the harder and the most challenging format of the game

Posted by anver777 on (September 16, 2011, 9:19 GMT)

Though i'm SL supporter i like his attitude & thorough gentlemanship in world cricket... We cricket lovers will miss u in ODI's !!! Adios & Good Luck for future !!!!!!!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 9:17 GMT)

I am a person who following cricket only because of Dravid... This is the last ODI match i gonna watch.

Posted by raju101ind on (September 16, 2011, 9:13 GMT)

its legend on cricket world cricket lost greatbatsmen its a bad for indian cricket but this WALL standing on indian cricket behind ok anyway its sendup time so goodbye rahul

Posted by vish57 on (September 16, 2011, 9:12 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is a cricketer of par excellence, unfortunately shadowing Tendulkar an all time great through out his career; he was a victim of selection during the early part of his ODI career yet came out strong especially during world cup 1999. He was the prey of Greg Chappell management, being a captain always walked on the thin edge. His timing of getting out of captaincy in 2007 was wrong, but for it he would have had extended ODI career. A true champion, deserved a better treatment from BCCI instead of adopting "use & throw" attitude. As a cricket lover, I salute Dravid for his achievement in ODI and I am sure he should continue to perform in test cricket for India for atleast 2 more years. Let us wish he signs off well in his last ODI today. Let us salute this selfless cricketer.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:52 GMT)

Dravid we mis r missing a WALL by mean its u ... Legend wish u good luck for your 3rd innings of life :)

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:50 GMT)

He was the one who really made Cricket a gentlemen game.... A blend of class and sportsmanship. It's our honor that a player like Dravid plays for our country :) Infact another rahul(gandhi) should learn many things from him :) all the best Rahul for the test cricket :)

Posted by harshacc on (September 16, 2011, 8:48 GMT)

Greame Swann had it spot on when he said bowlers would be heaving a sigh f relief throughout the world. Absolute Legend.Sheer Class.Consummate team man and professional.Cricket will be poorer when you hang up your boots

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:48 GMT)

No body can play like him in the pass decade with tremendous attitude.time for us to salute the wall of india in one dayers.his passion made to him to prove in the last test series against england .he will be the best allround for india.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:45 GMT)

Putting the benefit of team above all else - A sheer team man, Fighter, Champ - RAHUL DRAVID - A big big THANKS for all that you have done for India - You Legend ... respect you !!!

Posted by Hindh on (September 16, 2011, 8:44 GMT)

Rahul Dravid with his class has shown in the tour how ordinary Eng bowlers can be for a class batsman like him. Best of luck Dravid for the future........

Posted by endadai on (September 16, 2011, 8:42 GMT)

NO ONE CAN PRODUCE A PLAYER LIKE DRAVID HATS OFF MAN

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:34 GMT)

Thank You Rahul Dravid.Thank you sir!for the wonderful moments,for being the saviour during crisises,It will take some getting used to without you in our oneday Team.I would like to think of dravid as the face of indian cricket.Very composed and assured and very very patient.May you touch new heights in your test carrier. God Bless you Rahul Dravid. with love and prayers Madhavankutty Menon

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:17 GMT)

Rahul is very good talented batsman in all type of cricket.. we will miss him...

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:17 GMT)

Miss u man!!! ur techniques were amazing or else u cant b the WALL. All the best 4 ur test carrier. Proud to be your fan

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 8:08 GMT)

one of the finest player in techinque wise and also the only one player of present indian team who can bat in pressure situation. going out of this format only because of the board members who neglected him in ODI selection team, will cost thm alot in future............

Posted by Chennaionline on (September 16, 2011, 8:07 GMT)

All the best for your future.Please be connected to cricket like Kumble. We Indians are proud of u and thnx a lot GREAT WALL OF INDIA

Posted by kabe_ag7 on (September 16, 2011, 8:02 GMT)

The best spokesman of Indian cricket, in all senses of the word.

Posted by pitch_it_up on (September 16, 2011, 8:00 GMT)

Oh!! I couldn't see this day coming!! Oh my!! It hurts when players of my generation retire one after the other....esp the one like Rahul whom most people look up to...simple down to earth, gentle, disciplined, hard-working, well-read, wise, not supremely 'talented' like Sachin or Sehwag, but nonetheless effective than most.

Rahul, my Hero, I will miss you in ODIs...glad selectors gave a chance for him to retire from ODIs on his own terms. Now, watching you in Tests becomes all the more precious. And once you retire from that game as well...then it will be goodbye to Cricket from me.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 7:57 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is the gretest player in the cricket history. Rahul is very good talented batsman in all type of cricket.When team need he become opener,keeper.He always stands for the country............Really we will miss him......he is an ideal for the yuth cricketer.................

Posted by gorsi on (September 16, 2011, 7:42 GMT)

Vamos Dravid !!! When i played my cricket i always wanted to play like dravid..Never like Sachin or Sehwag or Ganguly for one single reason that Dravid signifies something Achievable yet Legendary. He not a Magician yet can leave you spell bound and when added with his soldier like discipline and selfless attitude what you get is one in a lifetime cricketer who gave it all for his country. It would be foolish to say that he hasnt got recognition he deserved... Coz he is The Best student of criicket if there ever was one to me and to millions of cricket lover around the world... Dravid you are a role model for every budding cricketer. Thank you so much for Being there for Indian cricket in toughest of the times .. Take a Bow Dravid for being such a wonderfull human being and a Lovely cricketer ..

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 7:32 GMT)

Really Really We Are Missing you Dravid the Great Wall of India..... when India is in seirous Danger you only the choice to make partnership... U r contribution to Indian country is priceless... Best of Luck for Test Career... You are the Leader for Square Cut short... Good Bye and Show your excellence in Test Career

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 7:30 GMT)

A real legend of the game, and more then that he is a gentle man, lot of respect for Dravid, and good luck for your test career, we all will miss u.

Posted by cricarnab on (September 16, 2011, 7:27 GMT)

Thank you Rahul- as an outspoken admirer of you over the years and who enjoys watching the good old fashioned battle between bat and the ball on a true seaming wicket, watching you have been , on days the greatest joy I have had, even on dark days. Thank you for those moments of class, of perfection- In a life which so far from perfect, and in which we akll strive for it nevertheless, your struggle and at times victory in this struggle makes you the common man's cricketer- more than Sachin, more than our Saurav- you are the aam aadmi's hero- of blood, of sweat, of failures and criticism- all of it and thank you so for conquering it.

Posted by veerakannadiga on (September 16, 2011, 7:25 GMT)

Guys I am very blessed to say that I stay in the same city as Rahul Dravid. I am blessed and fortunate to breathe the same air as RD.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 7:23 GMT)

Very rarely do talent, hard work and humility co-exist in one human being. One has to be extraordinarily lucky to have all these qualities. Rahul Dravid is one of them, and he possessed all these qualities in abundance.

Thank you for entertaining us for over a decade and a half Rahul! You will forever remain India's favorite cricketer and a true role model for every youngster.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 7:16 GMT)

Nothing more he needs to do for ODI Cricket.....Sure forever when Cricket is played in India Rahul Dravid's name will be remembered as a true legend of the game in terms of ODI Cricket as well....

Posted by anand32026 on (September 16, 2011, 6:53 GMT)

Rahul is very good talented batsman in all type of cricket.When team need he become opener,keeper..His inning to support to each players of indian player...remeber in culcatta with laaxman,V/s with NZ in hyderabad with sachin and in tautan in wc 1999 with saurav...When He was captain in pak v/s pak..he said to ganguly to open batting with sehwag but ganguly refuses for opening...then dravid has come with sehwag and makes record partnership for 1st wcket..i think 429runs...Everytime team needes him..he support team.I am lucky to watch him to batting for Indian team.He is better than Sachin,ganguly,laxman....in my point of view.I sallute to him.and best luck to test carrier...HE is always "THE WALL" ...The Great RAHUL DRAVID.

Posted by rakibul-narail-bd on (September 16, 2011, 6:52 GMT)

one day cricket is not only loosing a great batsman but also a gentle cricket man. he is really worthy to have salute. good by the wall and good luck for remain test carrier.

Posted by streetblader on (September 16, 2011, 6:52 GMT)

Nice to see him go... people may get all emotional and everything, but he was NEVER a half decent one day player... he was just a WALL... a boring immovable object, with no dynamism as far as one day matches were concerned... a truly great test match player, however, he never seemed to fit in any slot in a one day match, and it will always be hard to remember any match winning one day innings from him... he has dragged on his one day career for far too long... good that he leaves now...

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:51 GMT)

Gr8 stalwart! No one can teach him for the Test matches. its gods gift. Am sure nor he expects a fifty or hundred in his last Match, just a good performance and a win...

Posted by rdharani on (September 16, 2011, 6:29 GMT)

I am in tears. Feeling as if I lost something precious. I know it is not your favorite form of cricket. Still I will miss you sorely. I grow up watching your game. I am one of your biggest fans. And it seems, I may lose interest in this game once retire for other form of the game too. I am a proud fan of yours and I do not think after you retire no one else can replace you. I draw lot of inspiration from you.. Take a bow my hero.. And All the best for your last match. If this match is played in any corner of the India, I would have been there.. Wanted to watch your last match live in action..

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:28 GMT)

Will miss you Rahul Dravid.. you were different from the rest when it came to ODI's yet your records speak for yourself.. Hats off...!!!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:28 GMT)

As a Pakistani Cricket fan i consider the wall of indian batting the best of modern time produced by india... Much better in technique from the master blaster sachin tendulker given the time that sachin plays five or six years more than dravid, dravid wuold have gone far more than sachin is at the current time.. i wish him good luck for his future...

Posted by riverlime on (September 16, 2011, 6:23 GMT)

India is now a house with no Wall(s).

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:23 GMT)

one thing is clear. even had dravid continued once those so called frontliners(we are talking about gambhir, sehwag and yuvraj) make comeback ruthlessly selectors would bhave done what they have been doing. discard him. he understood well this and at the right time when things are at his feet he is hanging up his shoes. a very matured and right decision and we should thank selctors for giving atleast this chance to us all to see him play and then say goodbye while playing.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:23 GMT)

RD is quitting ODI...And so many die hard fans r also quitting to watch ODI like i am. He is the only one option in team to fill any where(opening Innings,keeping,ist down,2nd,3rd,4th...some times bowling tooo).We miss u a lot.A great technical player in world cricket.He never rum for money like(young cricketers).A true cricketer who played for his team.....We miss u a lot...hatss off

Posted by BULTY on (September 16, 2011, 6:22 GMT)

It is sad that Dravid won't play another ODI for India after today's match. But as he himself has said, that he has played 300+ games & scored near to 11000 runs in ODI speaks of the man, his determination to prove his critics wrong and come out with flying colours. Truly a great cricketer, highly intense in his concentration, but at the same time humble about his achievements; he never shouted from the roof tops, hey look man I achieved this, that etc. What surprises me most is not his decision to quit ODI & T20s but the fact that he gets more supporters when he announced his retirement from ODIs & T20 rather than when he was playing for India. That's the Indian cricket fan for you, always carried away by the way media (especially electronic media) make out of certain players and ignore other good achievers like Dravid. Like Dravid to continue playing Test Cricket for as long as HE wishes.ALL THE VERY BEST TO DRAVID, a man I salute & respect.

Posted by akpy on (September 16, 2011, 6:21 GMT)

good that he is getting a proper send off in ODIs..full respect for dravid's contributions in ODIs as well...but once again, some losers are throwing sachin in the mix..admire what these cricketers have done for indian cricket rather than engaging in comparing/cribbing sitting in your couch, when you cant score even 10 runs on the field !! amazing that the same dravid fanatics are now using 'stats' to justify him as a one day player and at the same breath say sachin plays for records..jokers !! sachin has contributed 10000 extra runs to india than the next highest contributor...it didnt go to his personal account alone, it went to india's score...oh, maybe only dravid's scores go to india and sachin's go somewhere else..losers and jokers of the world always comparing two greats !!!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:15 GMT)

Dravid stood tall against the all-conquering English all summer while half of his overpaid, overrated & overweight team-mates scuttled back to the safety of India with fake 'injuries' & the other half were made to look like hapless schoolboys as they were scythed down like wilting pansies by the formidable English pace attack. For that reason alone, he deserves our everlasting respect. I'm sure I'm not alone amongst English fans in hoping that he makes a hundred today in yet another losing cause.

Posted by Shine77 on (September 16, 2011, 6:06 GMT)

Should we write anything about Dravid?? He has written so much about himself and not allowing us to write anything other than two words THANK YOU!! Feeling really sad. But would be happy to see him at least in the team management to uplift the quality of Indian cricket.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:05 GMT)

a tear of joy a tear of content a tear for fight a tear for struggle if at all it sheds down the cheek of cricket world after retained all this long the tear name is rahul dravid. kudos to the best player who with his stayiing humble may not be glamorous like tendulkar/gavaskar/srikant/sehwag. but truly the best authority of right technique

Posted by indianzen on (September 16, 2011, 6:02 GMT)

If one has to prove that attitude is everything in cricket, take up Rahul as example... in the era of a "if-injured-then-replaced" cricket team, one of few men who can stand with his chins up is Rahul...

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 6:00 GMT)

really a good article.. will miss Rahul in ODI. those who says Rahul is not an ODI player, his numbers will speak for them..

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:40 GMT)

As a Pakistani die hard fan of Rahul Dravid I'd like to add my 2 cents. It makes me feel lucky to have grown up watching Rahul Dravid playing. A legend in its true sense.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:38 GMT)

A true gentleman,selfless team man and role mode. He has given everything to Indian Cricket with bat, field (catches) & as wicket keeper. Unfortunate that recognition he got is far less than the required...So one side of the wall is broken ... Hat's off to you Dravid

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:33 GMT)

he was wonderful cricketer that India has ever produced it is sad that last couple of years he was not a part of the Indian team and now that he has called it a day in One day internationals. But i still feel that he has lot of cricket left with himself. any way best wishes to Dravid for his future.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:31 GMT)

Hats off for such a great player i have ever seen.Much reliable and dependable.I guess much better than Tendulker

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:28 GMT)

Take a bow at Dravid, he has given everything to Indian Cricket with bat, field (catches) & as wicket keeper. Unfortunate that recognition he got is far less than the required... Hat's off to you Dravid..

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:26 GMT)

The true wall of india. His adaptability to ODI, T20 should be an example for the your lot that "If your basics are right, you will find success in whatever format the game is"..Hats off to you dravid..

Posted by Nikkuputtu on (September 16, 2011, 5:24 GMT)

Rahul Sharad Dravid. A great human with extra ordinary cricketing skills. Came in the Indian ODI team with a lot of speculation about his strike rate, considering he was a TEST player. But he stood tall to grab the opportunities 3 times and finally made it count, the third time, when he became a permanent member of the team. He never looked back after that. He became the vice captain, then the captain, wicket keeper, opener, no. 3 batsman, middle order batsman, so on so forth... If I put this stats that, he is the second Indian to score the fastest 50(22 balls) in ODI's itself shows his mettle as a cricketer. And not to forget his 63 ball- 92 runs. He has proved himself in all walks of his career, but has always been over shadowed by jus one better performer on that day.. But don worry Rahul, your fans are always with you (Incl Cricinfo, I guess) to remember all your strokes, runs and manners on n off the field. Hats Off to U..

Posted by BoonBoom on (September 16, 2011, 5:22 GMT)

By any standard Dravid is the BEST batsman india has ever produced, certainly better than Tendulkar and Gavasker. I wish all the best to Sravid and hope he will get yet another century on this tour in the last ODI. Main difference between Tendulkar and Dravid; Tendulkar always plays for himself and his records whereas Dravid always plays for his team and his country!!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:22 GMT)

One of the Most stylish & Technically correct batsman of Modren Arena is saying GOOD Bye! We will Miss you Dravid. Have a Happy life.

Posted by DaveFish on (September 16, 2011, 5:21 GMT)

The Wall - my Indian Legend. Thank you for entertaining us for so many years.

Posted by Sohailh on (September 16, 2011, 5:12 GMT)

I am a great fan of Rahul Dravid. His personality reflects the game of cricket. Cricket was once the game of gentlemen. In current era, I personally believes that No other cricketer is more gentleman than him. He is a conventional cricketer and plays copy book style cricket. I am a Pakistani and I think he is the most difficult Indian batsman to dismiss at any playground and in any conditions. I think he is a bit under-rated cricketer in India... Anyway.. Sir You have played great inning and best of luck for rest of your career and future ... I wish that he becomes batting coach of Pakistan team after his retirement..:)

Posted by veerakannadiga on (September 16, 2011, 5:09 GMT)

I was, I am and will always be a fan of Rahul Dravid. I would switch off the TV set once Rahul got out. Sad will be the day when the GREAT MAN decides to retire from all forms of cricket. Though I hail from Bengalaooru, I support Rajasthan Royals in IPL. The reason is obvious. Rahul Dravid. How many other players put country before club (read money). The very fact that he is first one in the nets says it all. That fans other than Indians are also commenting(good things) about him speaks volumes of his character and attitude. Thank you, You Able Son of a Noble Country.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:05 GMT)

A GREAT WALLS SWANSONG..

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 5:04 GMT)

World's most technical batsman of India "Great Wall " Rahul Dravid We miss you a lot…………..

Posted by Thekick on (September 16, 2011, 5:02 GMT)

Apart from all he has done in test matches and ODI matches, we always forget the fact Dravid is the only player who almost never skipped a match because of health or fitness or injuries.

In the current situation, it definitely speaks a lot.

Posted by Woodsheart on (September 16, 2011, 5:00 GMT)

A hEARty sAlute to the great wall of INDIA!! Yea' it is just a another day takes you to a another life..You are not part of the odi squad anymore..But you will always be part of what youngsters achieve tomorrow..Wherever you go - you will achieve in whatever field you are..things to learn from you - sportsmanship , calmness , focused & dedication ...bow for you!!!

Posted by mannem17 on (September 16, 2011, 4:58 GMT)

He is a true gentleman.No one can replace dravid in both forms of game.want to see him finishing on a great note.

Posted by Asad1979 on (September 16, 2011, 4:53 GMT)

I am from Pakistan, but I really like Dravid's game, he is a true MR CRICKET... hats off MR CRICKET the entire Pakistani nation will miss you..

Posted by ZMPK on (September 16, 2011, 4:48 GMT)

What a legendary cricketer . i must say he is a purely cricketing giant as he always staid on the crease and became a solid wall in Indian batting line up...All cricket fan gonna miss him.....

Posted by cooljack_143 on (September 16, 2011, 4:45 GMT)

I should say Dravid just started his limited over format career.The way he hit those 3 6's off patel was awesome to watch.It indeed great that we have such a champion from India.Till date I HAVE SEEN SACHIN BEEN CRITICIZED BY SOME FANS, BUT NEVER EVER SAW THAT IN DRAVID'S CASE.He is such a great servant of world cricket.You have more career in IPL dravid we hope you will entertain us in years to come in your test playing capability& in IPL as well.LONG LIVE RAHUL...LONG LIVE THE WALL..Jai ho!!!!!!

Posted by madhan17 on (September 16, 2011, 4:32 GMT)

not words to say, i am speach less, just like to say one thing, thank for all you memorable perfomance to india in difficult times, tanks for every ting RD "The Wall", by a true RD Fan, missin u very much

Posted by veerakannadiga on (September 16, 2011, 4:32 GMT)

I Liked Playing for my country-------- that sums it up. How selfless this great human being is.Not now. Not ever. India cannot find a replacement for Rahul Dravid. Take a bow you Great Son of Mother India.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 4:31 GMT)

You are a faithful cricketer i have seen in my life, i attended so many training programs they are always showing you for the example of concentration.....

Posted by rtom on (September 16, 2011, 4:15 GMT)

i will definitly miss him out once he hangs his boots in all forms of cricket !!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 4:03 GMT)

We will miss you Rahul. You are and will always remain in our hearts. Good luck in whatever you do.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 3:55 GMT)

This would be Curtains for Rahul Dravid's Chapter 2 in Cricketing Life.

Hope he carries on his Legacy of Being the Wall in the Test Matches to come and show how to be one to the new comers in the Indian Team.

It was a way to Start and End the T20....with 3 consecutive Sixes and hope he goes out in full Glory in the ODIs too.

Posted by ubl2729 on (September 16, 2011, 3:53 GMT)

i am greate fan of rahul this is black day for indian cricket

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 3:34 GMT)

A true gentleman,selfless team man and role model.20 years from now when I talk of the Great Indian Team to my kids I'll reserve a special place for his hundreds at Kandy,Trinidad,Headingley,Adelaide and Rawalpindi which gave us memorable overseas wins and the rearguards at Port Elizabeth,Nottingham and Bridgetown which saved us from embarrassment.Another special innings I'll recall will be 180 at Kolkata 2001 overshadowed by Laxman's 281.He kept wickets for the team in one dayers till Dhoni came around and also took on the full-time captaincy in the Dark Chappel Era and its aftermath winning us series in West Indies and England and a maiden test win in South Africa.This gave us something to smile in that horrid phase.His only lows as a captain were the 2007 WC debacle and the Karachi loss to Pakistan.When Dhoni was given the captaincy for the t20 WC in 2007 he stepped down and was ready to serve as a foot soldier.He has always put up his hand for the team.Will miss him sorely.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 3:28 GMT)

Ho Rahul , You are the True Gentle man to the GAME.

'what will you do after cricket', I feel I will miss just that intensity of preparation, the practice." This answers itself gives how greatness & humbleness of yours. more than this hungry to perform and playing for the nation.

Posted by SV_Ravi on (September 16, 2011, 3:16 GMT)

Well said, Faisal Kazmi! Indeed he is a gentleman cricketer, and the finest to have ever played the game! I have been a fan ever since I saw him score 95 in Lords! The second gem from Bangalore (the other one being the original 'little master' Gundappa Viswnath!). Long live Dravid! Wish you the very best for the future!

Posted by Ronsars on (September 16, 2011, 3:02 GMT)

One of the most unselfish dedicated cricketer ever born....His achievements speak for him....A thorough gentleman on & off the field....Wish u good luck Rahul & all the best for future

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 2:58 GMT)

My brother got my attention to Dravid when I was a kid, he told me he's one guy who's scoring plenty of runs in Ranji and will one day stand tall along side Sachin and will be compared to greats like Gundappa Vishwanath! How true, I'll not be exaggerating if I say classy Vishwanath will feel proud to be compared with "THE WALL". Want to say thanks Dravid for your ODI entertainment and the hattrick 6s in your only T20. Looking forward to many more runs in the tests!

Posted by godatno4 on (September 16, 2011, 2:56 GMT)

Outstanding cricketer and a perfect gentleman!!! A true Legend.

Posted by Hari777 on (September 16, 2011, 2:50 GMT)

A true gentleman. Always considered team beyond all. Even Sachin wont be remotely close to him. As a younger kid I watched him blossoming in his career in late 90s. Now heart cries to see him going.. May he become India's coach and help find his replacement..

God Bless him..

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 2:19 GMT)

We are going to miss some classical stokes in ODI. We miss you RD...

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 2:13 GMT)

Work ethics, Great concentration, Selflessness personified into a great gentleman is Rahull Sharad Dravid

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (September 16, 2011, 2:13 GMT)

Thank you Rahul for all the memories. An example of a perfect cricketer whom the aspiring cricketers should emulate. Once again, thank you Rahul for all those memories.

Posted by   on (September 16, 2011, 1:16 GMT)

A true gentleman and one of the finest to have played the game. I had the privilege to meet him in person in Antigua in 2002, and have been a fan of the man since. Being a Pakistani I never thought this would happen, but I found myself cheering for Dravid whenever he came out to bat - regardless of the opponent. Personally I think he has served Indian cricket better than any cricketer of his time, followed by Kumble. I wish we get to see him play Test cricket for quite a bit longer.

Posted by landl47 on (September 16, 2011, 0:36 GMT)

A great player with an outstanding attitude towards the game. He's a role model for every aspiring player.

Posted by TheBlimp on (September 16, 2011, 0:28 GMT)

Dravid will hang up his boots in the real sense cuz no one can/dare wear em again.

Posted by cricsavvy on (September 15, 2011, 23:42 GMT)

A true Bharat Ratna. A man for all occasions and a true statesman. He has done what has been asked of him - play up the order, down the order, keep wickets.... The GREAT WALL of Indian Cricket, we salute you.

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 22:57 GMT)

Dravid retirement is actually worst than india's performance in england. I hope that there'll be another Dravid. He chose to go to the WI instead of playing ipl like the others. That is what makes you a legend. Let's hope he scores a century in his last ODI.

Posted by sandwipcricket on (September 15, 2011, 22:44 GMT)

Mr Rahul Dravid is a model for new generation cricketer. salute to dravid. i expect him 5 more years in test cricket.

Posted by Raju_Iyer on (September 15, 2011, 22:38 GMT)

Nagraj, You forgot to write a few lines on Dravid stepping down from captaincy, paving the way for Kumble and eventually Dhoni to lead. Once again showed how unselfish he was and as always, had the best interests of Indian cricket in mind

Posted by OliverWebber on (September 15, 2011, 22:30 GMT)

He will be missed - always the one wicket the opposition wants most! And a true gentleman and eloquent spokesman for his team and the game. I hope we see him in tests for some time to come.

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 21:48 GMT)

Long live the WALL....You are a true champion, cool customer and nice human being. The entire nation will miss you. All the best for your future career. Cheers....

Posted by vallavarayar on (September 15, 2011, 21:39 GMT)

Now, that is someone who knows when to quit the ODIs. Hope more cricketers, especially the legends, were like him. One Sanath comes to mind. Anyways, all the best Dravid.

Posted by Nampally on (September 15, 2011, 21:20 GMT)

Dravid is one of the finest cricketers of this era and is rightly called the wall. His technique is so good that no bowling can dter him. He is like a scoring machine who has shown that perseverence and patience are virtues which most modern IPL players lack. Even at this late stage in his career he has shoen what a great cricketer he is. He is also one of the finest gentlemen who takesumpiring decisions calmly despite several decisions going against him. But for the wrong decisions he may have scored a century in every test match against England this tour.He is the highest catch taker in the slips with over 210 test catches.Hehas been the backbone of the Indian cricket and will always remain a legend in the World cricket. He is second only to Tendulkar in the total runs. He also signifies the characteristics of the older generation of the Indians in humility and respect for all his opponents & peers alike.It is his last ODI but will play in tests. All the best Rahul & good luck.

Posted by Lord_Dravid on (September 15, 2011, 21:14 GMT)

Ive still got his picture up on my wall that i put up when i was 10..he''s a role model for every young cricketer around the world. Dont know how i'd feel the day he retires from test cricket.

Posted by gmadhan_raj on (September 15, 2011, 20:59 GMT)

"I am not dreading quitting.".. one should have guts to say like this.. Dravid has made is ODI debut in 96, almost 7 years after Sachin made is debut.. This is the perfect end to his ODI career, while he was recalled one more time when others were not doing their best.. When others were took enough rest and skipped West Indies tour, Dravid has made himself available to that tour. India would have end up the WI series by 0-0 without Dravid. While others were concentrating on IPL, Dravid has came to play without rest. Now all the others guys are trying to find their rhythm after IPL hangover, Dravid is still giving his best. Some of the players were went out of England due to injury problems, but the same guys are going to play Champions League in next week, including the great Sachin and Harbhajan. Dravid is best.

Posted by AnkurTyagi on (September 15, 2011, 20:50 GMT)

last day to see "THE WALL" in blue colour..!! -- no WHITE WASH please...Go RD.go..oo.....!! ..

GOD BLESS YOU RD..!!

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 20:41 GMT)

I have choked on so many occasions sometimes sad because of ur exclusion, sometimes simply for ur success. I won't be surprised with myself if I frankly cry tomorrow watching you play in india's Color for the last time. Love u RD. will miss. Not you but odi cricket. There is no cricket for me without u.

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 20:37 GMT)

A true gentlemen and one of the few world class batsmen. Watching him play cricket over the last decade was a bliss and inspiration for me. HATS off to this guy and hope he can contribute much more to Indian and World cricket.

Posted by Valavan on (September 15, 2011, 20:26 GMT)

Perfect Test Cricketer from the modern era. minimal effort, maximum output. One of the greatest ever seen in modern cricket. India will miss him when he hangs the boots from Test Arena because he is the architect of indian test victories outside subcontinent.

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (September 15, 2011, 20:10 GMT)

Cont If genius is ninety-nine per cent perspiration and one per cent inspiration then through his dedication to hard work and appreciation and understanding of the art of batting that we have been able to witness Dravid's genius.

Posted by MasterfulStars on (September 15, 2011, 20:01 GMT)

Tears on my Eyes when i write this. We cannot get another Dravid. A terrific human being and cricketer. Hope he continues playing test matches for some time. One of the pillars of the Indian team along with Sachin, Kumble, Sourav and Laxman. All the best for the final ODI and the future.

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (September 15, 2011, 19:55 GMT)

Whilst Dravid has not been part of the one day team for over two years his last one day game tomorrow means that his retirement from Test cricket is one step away which for me will be a truly sad day. Although one of the greatest Test batsmen of the modern game who has scored runs with such style and beauty I feel he would have graced any era. Superb footwork, perfectly balanced, comfortable against pace, swing, seam and spin and temperament to succeed, he has scored centuries in all parts of the world. Inexplicably nicknamed The Wall because running through his core is not bricks and mortar but steel. I remember being pleasantly surprised by his first innings at Lords and his last and all the enjoyment he has given in between. I do not think we will see his like again and his retirement from all forms of the game will be a loss to cricket lovers everywhere

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 19:52 GMT)

An amazing test batsman. A true gentleman. We salute you.

Posted by Iyer_Brain on (September 15, 2011, 19:38 GMT)

Will miss the most unselfish servant of Indian Cricket... :'(

Posted by zico123 on (September 15, 2011, 19:35 GMT)

Dravid should be a role model for Indian youngstars, he grew up playing first class cricket, long innings, practice for hours, loads of concentration, that made him a true champion Test and ODI cricketer. completely in contrast indian youngstars now are growing up playing IPL and T20, God save them,one thing for sure they won't become another Dravid, Sachin or Kumble.

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 19:27 GMT)

True legend. I would even go on to say that he is in the same league as Tendulkar. We are previleged to have seen someone like him.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (September 15, 2011, 19:24 GMT)

People keep talking about Rahul Dravid as a fighter and a guy who concentrates hard and who wears opposition bowlers down. It tells a criminally bare and an incomplete story. He is a world class batsman. His record speaks for itself,its that of an ALL TIME GREAT. I mean 35 hundreds and 12500+ runs is mind boggling and he is done that having an average in the high fiftees for a major part of his career and even now his average in tests is 53 which is outstanding. And people who says he is a test match specialist are stupid and know nothing abt the game. As a middle order batsman he has done terrific things. He was a brilliant finisher and can steady a one day innings as well as anyone in the world can or ever could.He is a class gentelman, Shane Warne is now his IPL team mate loves Rahul as a player and person and says the same abt him. His overseas record is proof of his class and as a team man, there cannot be a better example than Dravid for the world game. Inspiring role model.

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 19:14 GMT)

last match of dravid's odi career.... hope he will come good....

Posted by 5wombats on (September 15, 2011, 18:59 GMT)

I was at Lords in June 1996 to see Dravid's first Test Innings. He batted with Ganguly. I have to say it was one of the most turgid and dire days cricket I have ever seen! Nevertheless - Dravid turned into one of the great gentlemen of the fine sport of Test cricket. I'm very pleased to be able to say - as well as watching his first Test Innings in England - I also saw him on this his last tour of England, also at Lords and he hit a hundred. Such a stylish player. My son (9), at his first ever Test match said; "he can bat a bit" - as we stood to applaud the 100. So, just as my father took me to watch Test cricket so many years ago (Cowdrey, Boycott, Milburn, Barrington...) - now Dravid is the joining point for my own son's first step into the wider world of Test cricket. I'll never forget the first Test match I ever saw - so now too, for all the right reasons - my son will never forget his first Test match or the name RAHUL DRAVID. Sir - I salute you.

Posted by CricketChat on (September 15, 2011, 18:53 GMT)

Despite the initial hiccups early in his career when he played ODIs like test matches, Dravid, though never spectacular, improved (like Gavaskar did in the later part of his career) his strike rate and played a useful part and provided stability at the top of order for many years. A realistic person that he was, I am glad he decided to quit ODIs after being unfairly dumped out of the team by no less than Dhoni and his cohorts. I hope he leaves the Tests also on his terms whenever it happens. Now, Dhoni will face the same music asking for his head after his utter failure to win a single international match on Eng tour. What goes around, comes around.

Posted by serious-am-i on (September 15, 2011, 18:52 GMT)

great warrior representing the tri-colors for the last time in colored jerseys. Hats off to you RD. Hope India can win the final match and dedicate it to the champion who was made to make choices for the team which he didn't personally like them. Hope he can reach the 11k mark 2morrow.

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 18:44 GMT)

A TRUE warrior OF INDIAN Cricket , Greater then Sachin and Ganguly...

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 18:29 GMT)

Rahul Dravid has been a pillar of Indian cricket. He has been rightly called the 'wall'. Saved India, many a game in his career. A good role model to follow, particularly his dedication to the game and his concentration at the wickets. We wish him every success in rest of his cricket career and in post-cricket life! Hats off to you Dravid!!

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 18:22 GMT)

We miss you Badly Dravid.. The true monk.. the most selfless cricketer...is no more playing Limited overs..

Posted by   on (September 15, 2011, 18:16 GMT)

All the best for the wall of indian cricket...

Nagraj GollapudiClose
Tour Results
England v India at Cardiff - Sep 16, 2011
England won by 6 wickets (with 10 balls remaining) (D/L method)
England v India at Lord's - Sep 11, 2011
Match tied (D/L method)
England v India at The Oval - Sep 9, 2011
England won by 3 wickets (with 7 balls remaining) (D/L method)
England v India at Southampton - Sep 6, 2011
England won by 7 wickets (with 5 balls remaining)
England v India at Chester-le-Street - Sep 3, 2011