England news

Hales in, Bopara out of ODI squad

Alan Gardner

August 18, 2014

Hales shakes up England's top order

England have included Alex Hales in their ODI squad for the forthcoming series against India, with Ravi Bopara dropped as the management focus their minds on preparing for the 2015 World Cup. Michael Carberry and Tim Bresnan were also left out, while Steven Finn has won a recall but there was otherwise no radical shake-up six months out from the tournament.

A call-up for Hales, a regular in the T20 side, had been expected and he is likely to open alongside the captain, Alastair Cook, and provide greater boundary-hitting proficiency during the Powerplay overs. Ian Bell, Cook's opening partner for the last two years, could drop down to No. 3, where Gary Ballance and Joe Root are also options.

Hales has made an irresistible case for promotion to the 50-over side, scoring three List A hundreds in the last three weeks, the most recent a domineering 141 off 96 balls for Nottinghamshire against Middlesex. He was part of England's ODI squad in the Caribbean earlier this year, ahead of the World T20, but missed out on a debut due to a thigh injury.

Alex Hales smashed a century, Middlesex v Nottinghamshire, Royal London Cup, Group B, Lord's, August 14, 2014
Alex Hales has scored heavily in recent weeks to make his case for promotion to the one-day side © Getty Images

His form has extended to four-day cricket, after a difficult 2013, and on Monday he scored an unbeaten century to lead his side to victory against Northamptonshire. "Following the tons for the Lions last week, at Lord's on Thursday and now today, I feel I'm in the best form of my career - and I hope it continues," Hales said afterwards.

It is for his power in the shorter formats that Hales has won a place in England's World Cup planning - Eoin Morgan described him as being "like nobody else we have" - seemingly at the expense of Bopara. Both scored centuries for the Lions in the recent triangular series, although Bopara has filled a very different brief for England's ODI side, in which he has been a regular since the 2011 World Cup, generally batting at No. 6 or No. 7 and providing a useful option with the ball. This year, however, he has averaged 23.70 from 13 innings, to go with seven wickets at 41.57.

England lost the ODI series against Sri Lanka 3-2 earlier in the summer but have resisted making dramatic changes to their template. Cook, having recanted on his suggestion that he could give up the one-day captaincy during England's miserable tour of Australia, will continue to provide a solid base at the top of the order and the importance of his role was reiterated by the coach, Peter Moores.

"Alastair's record probably stands up with a lot of openers," Moores said. "With the way one-day cricket is going, there is a huge emphasis on the top of the order ... With two new balls, you've got to get through, but you've got to score at the right rate. So you've got to get a balance of people at the top end, the first half of the game, who score at the right rate."

Moeen Ali, who was left out of the Sri Lanka series to work on his red-ball bowling, returns alongside Ben Stokes and it is perhaps those all-round options which have persuaded England to dispense with Bopara, whose wicket-to-wicket seam-up bowling may have been more vulnerable in Australia and New Zealand, where the World Cup will be held. Stokes has not been involved with the limited-overs squads since breaking a bone in his wrist punching a locker in the West Indies and was dropped from the Test side during the India series after extending his run of scores for England to 0, 5, 5, 4, 0, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0 in all formats.

Stuart Broad has been omitted to allow him to undergo knee surgery, with Finn included alongside Stokes, Chris Jordan, Harry Gurney and Chris Woakes as fast-bowling support for James Anderson.

"With the World Cup now less than six months away our focus over the coming months switches to identifying our strongest possible squad for that competition," James Whitaker, the national selector, said. "However this is an important series in its own right and we have selected 15 players who we believe will perform well against an Indian side with a strong one day record.

"This series presents an opportunity for players to build on their international and domestic form and demonstrate that they have the ability to win games of cricket for England. With plenty of domestic limited overs cricket still to be played this season and a series against Sri Lanka in November before finalising our World Cup squad there are still opportunities for us to consider a number of players who have missed out on selection."

England squad: Alastair Cook (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Jos Buttler, Steven Finn, Harry Gurney, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

Alan Gardner is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @alanroderick

RSS Feeds: Alan Gardner

Posted by   on (August 24, 2014, 22:13 GMT)

No way Bopara should have been dropped. His absence makes England a weaker squad, especially as spirited as he has been playing and with all he can do. I think this call is a mistake.

Posted by   on (August 20, 2014, 11:11 GMT)

its nice to see hales in the odi squad

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 21:05 GMT)

@YorkshirePudding no I wasn't listening. I was probably playing for my club at that time.

I've been saying these things for a while now. Unfortunately England don't see it this way. But there's a reason why they have their jobs and I'm posting on here.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 19, 2014, 20:13 GMT)

@CodnChips - By and large I agree with you. I feel Ballance's ODI stats on mostly batting friendly circumstances speak for themselves. They end up resting test players all the time from SFs so why bother with those who don't do that well anyway? I'd probably (from this squad) play Hales at 3 then go Root,Morgan,Buttler,Ali,Jordan,Tredwell,Jimmy,Gurney. I'd consider playing Buttler ahead of Morgan. I know I'm a big Buttler fan in SFs but I reckon right now he's in better form than Morgan

Posted by JG2704 on (August 19, 2014, 20:12 GMT)

@Patchmaster on (August 19, 2014, 8:34 GMT) I was dead against Bell's recall to the ODI side but I reckon you'd find that his stats from his latest run in the side are pretty impressive

Posted by samyttt on (August 19, 2014, 19:53 GMT)

ok working a team for the world cup in 6 months well u got 1 hings right alex in this will give the england team what it was missing all this time for ages some massive FIREPOWER e.g david wanner aron finch types but a big but u simply cant go with tredwell he might be a amazing off spinner but if an off spinner dosent have the dosra or carrom ball hes as good as a part timer which they have in ali so what i think eng shuld do is make ali ur spin allrounder like jadeja then get a actually leg spiner so u have both kinda spinners in ur side this odi series indian team has 90% right hand batsmen whats the use of such spinner ? u need a legei who can do the googly too!!i next up about boparas drop u need someone dependable down with that massive hitting and exp i think if eng want to have a fare battle at the world cup they need to get a legie and bopara in

Posted by Leicsfan on (August 19, 2014, 15:55 GMT)

Agree with Lilieswalker. Morgan hasn't made a run for as long as I can remember. James Taylor in blistering form, got to his century recently in even less balls than Hales

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 15:38 GMT)

possible 11 cook,hales,bell,root,Morgan,Ali,buttler,woakes,jordan,Anderson,finn

Posted by wapuser on (August 19, 2014, 14:42 GMT)

What else Ravi must do to earn his spot....he been doing well in odi why drop him

Posted by Charlie101 on (August 19, 2014, 14:36 GMT)

Bell seems to be in everybody's team ( who have written down a team ) at the moment and I would rather play Balance at 3 with Root at 4 . Those guys seem in better form at the moment and it leaves Cook to play the anchor role.

India will be a real handful and we will have to be on top of our game

Posted by Lilieswalker on (August 19, 2014, 14:12 GMT)

I would have preferred to see Cook rested and what on earth does James Taylor have to do to get into an England side? There are other young players who could have been introduced with time to test them out with the World Cup in mind.

Posted by vimal03 on (August 19, 2014, 12:58 GMT)

I know this wouldn't be the England side but personally think this is the side that can go forward in ICC world cup and India tournament.

Hales; 2. Bell; 3. Ballance; 4. Root; 5.Morgan (capt.) 6. Buttler (w/k) 7. Stokes 8. Jordan; 9. Tredwell; 10. Anderson; 11. Gurney

Ali should replace Stokes in Srilanka and Borad to replace Jordan after injury

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (August 19, 2014, 12:28 GMT)

@CodandChips, interesting comments, were you listening to Tuffers and Vaughan on Sunday as they were saying pretty much the same, use the next 3 months to build a new team for the WC.

I agree rest cook, Anderson and bell let them focus on Tests, and have Morgan as captain, with new faces. The only possible reason for having cook in the team would be to have Hales as n opening partner and see if they 'gel' rather than waiting until the WI's.

Posted by isitok on (August 19, 2014, 12:25 GMT)

@thinkgood: I too think that India may perform better in the ODIs now that Ravi Shastri is in harness, and hopefully with the ability to rein in some of Dhoni's more radical flights of fancy in the field.

Posted by thinkgood on (August 19, 2014, 12:15 GMT)

Bopara can handle India much better than Hales. But let wait and see what happens as India is likely to do much better than their test performance.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (August 19, 2014, 12:09 GMT)

From THIS squad, I think I'd go for: 1. Hales; 2. Bell; 3. Ballance; 4. Morgan (capt.); 5. Root; 6. Ali; 7. Buttler (w/k); 8. Jordan; 9. Tredwell; 10. Anderson; 11. Gurney.

Four frontline bowlers, + Root & Ali to share the rest. I wish Ballance would take up his leg-spin more! The condition/risk I'm taking with only four frontline bowlers is that I would order them to give 100% commitment/effort to their bowling only; to hell with their batting. I know times have changed, but I still believe that in the absence of good, genuine all-rounders in England, runs from numbers 8-11 are a BONUS only - not a NECESSITY. Ten excellent overs each from four bowlers, + holding from the part-timers like Root, Ali, Bell etc. is just as valuable as runs on the board.

I like Cook, but wish he would focus (more) on tests. Welcome he come open for some games, but not all - hence he's out of my starting XI above.

Thoughts? Before u butcher me, understand that Stokes/Woakes ain't as valuable as Bopara.

Posted by badboyblue on (August 19, 2014, 11:42 GMT)

I think it's really silly to drop Bopara - how many times as he saved England or got them out of a hole? Quite a few times. He has been pretty consistent in a positive way for England in ODIs so for me England selectors have got that wrong. Drop Cook as he is a pretty rubbish in this format of the game and make Morgan as the captain. Cook really slows things down and causes issues for other batsmen and creates pressure for them to attack because of Cook's inability to "speed up the process" - this is where the real problem is in my opinion. Ballance seems like a solid No.3 who has ability to up the anti if required. Moeen Ali migt be an option to give hime more experience in this format but my team would be (in batting order): Hales/ Bell/ Ballance/Root/ Morgan/ Bopara/ Buttler/ Jordan/ Tredwell/ Anderson/ Gurney

Posted by wpbus13 on (August 19, 2014, 11:37 GMT)

Not a very impressive looking squad...furthermore not wise to leave Bopara out. Expect India to bounce back for the ODI series and all will be well once more with the team.

Posted by moaningmike on (August 19, 2014, 11:22 GMT)

Not quite sure what James Taylor must do to get into the side. If he's the James Taylor who was married to Carly Simon, maybe he's too vain!

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 11:21 GMT)

So was Bopara in the Lions squad to fight for his place? (albeit at 3 rather than finishing). But he was the standout bowler and scored runs, so there must be more than cricketing reasons at play.

Also why aren't Roy and Taylor given a go? Take a punt just for this series. Taylor has scored 2 List A centuries the last week and Roy has had an excellent season and shown responsibility. Taylor has many gears and parts to his game and so is the ideal ODI batsmen for the top 3.

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 10:58 GMT)

People wondering why Cook should be dropped? How often has he scored ODI runs the last year? When was his last ODI hundred?

Also on the occasion where Cook manages to bat though, he isn't able to accelerate much. Lumb or Vince for example would be able to bat through and accelerate at the end. How on earth was Lumb dropped from the ODI side after the West Indies. He scored an incredibly mature and sensible debut hundred.

People on Gurney's back. We need a specialist limited overs bowler. He did well vs Sri Lanka and Scotland so deserves another go. I'd have wanted to audition another death bowler this series like Luke Fletcher. Broad is not a death bowler.

@JellybeanYorker Bopara does have very ordinary stats but is an improved player from when he played most of his matches to amass those stats.

In selecting all the test players as opposed to one or two more white-ball specialists, England is appearing like a closed shop again.

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 10:53 GMT)

One name left out again. mr consistent James Taylor whose one day record is pretty much better than every member of this squad. When will he get his chance?

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 10:36 GMT)

@JG2704 I'd prefer Bopara to Stokes, Woakes, or Ali. As I've said in my previous comments Stokes and Woakes are not white-ball cricketers. Bopara has improved a lot with bat and ball in international cricket. Also he had a brilliant T20 Blast with the bat and propelled Essex to the top of the table.

I'd have Ali working on his test game. His bowling is still a work in progress though certainly improving and he his more than a part-timer. His batting regressed however and he needs to work on that, rather than being exposed to the world's quicks. Would he be missed by the ODI side? I doubt it.

Surely rather than Stokes/Woakes/Ali they could have gone Bopara, Smith or Willey and a spinner who isn't an allrounder necessarily, like Briggs or Parry. Smith did ok for the Lions and is underrated imo. Willey is a risk but has talent and could hardly do worse than Stokes.

What do you think about my other comments re too much like a Test side? Do you think Hales will play and if so where?

Posted by brusselslion on (August 19, 2014, 10:33 GMT)

I hope that this is not the likely squad for the World Cup. Quite why Ravi has been dropped is beyond me. Given a free hand, I'd currently definitely have the following 13 in the squad for the WC: Hales, Roy, Balance, Bopara, Root, Morgan, Bairstow, Buttler, Ali, Broad, Jordan, Finn, Anderson with another 3/4 places up for grabs.

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 10:26 GMT)

(continued)

Would it have hurt that much just to have a look at something different? With too conservative an approach we are shooting ourselves in the foot. I'm not suggesting that we do anything reckless, but I think England ought to have a look at some other players just to see what they offer.

With no tests before the West Indies I would have thought that this time could have been spent by Ali and some of the test players to work on their games.

Also consider next year's schedule. With cricket every month, and at least 56 matches, nobody will be able to sustain playing all formats during the whole year. Not playing in the ODI side would allow players like Ali to have a holiday as well. I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself. This isn't the world cup squad. But it does indicate the way the selectors are thinking.

Would Ali and Cook be missed from the ODI team? Would Stokes or Woakes? Would Ballance? I don't think they all would. Maybe Ballance.

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 10:25 GMT)

To be honest I think this side looks far too much like a Test side. While ODI cricket is far from an elongated T20I, it's not a test cricket training ground, and requires different skills.

A top order of Cook, Bell, Ballance and Root crosses the line between stable and stagnant. As has been typical the last couple of years, too much pressure is put on the finishers. Perhaps Hales will change this, but where does he fit in?

Woakes and Stokes rather than Bopara? Bopara the much improved international batsman and who had a brilliant T20 Blast. Bopara who was one of the better white-ball bowlers over the winter. Woakes who has struggled in white-ball cricket internationally and domestically. Stokes whose white-ball England career has been awful and who described his own List A game as awful last year.

The balance of the side will be interesting also. I assume Ali will help. However I'd have rather he develop his test game over the winter and have some rests.

(continued)

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 10:23 GMT)

First and foremost glad to see Hales in. He's more than just a slogger. He can bat through at pace. Plays proper shots. A proper player. And I prefer him to the current opening pair of Cook and Bell since neither bat though nor score quickly. I wonder how all 3 will be accommodated.

I wish England had used this series to try something completely different, just as an experiment. But it looks like England are set on their method. At least Hales would add more impetus at the top. However I'm still not sure we need Cook, Bell, Ballance and Root in the same ODI side, especially with next year's burdening schedule.

James Taylor would be my choice. He's scored 2 List A hundreds recently and was phenomenal last year. He can bat through, score quickly or be destructive. Bopara not being included has shocked me. Our best list A bowler over the winter. An improved batsman internationally who had an awesome T20 Blast.

Posted by Cubitt on (August 19, 2014, 10:12 GMT)

Delighted for Hales but how the hell has Bopara been dropped!? Imo he's been our best ODI player for a while and he has shown good form for both Essex and England A this season. Ridiculous decision. We haven't had the shake-up most wanted and yet one of our best is dropped. Cook should focus on tests and someone else should be given the chance.

England A had a great batting line-up, with a few changes and the main bowling attack we could have had a very exciting ODI squad ready for the WC.

Posted by whatawicket on (August 19, 2014, 10:05 GMT)

not sure why Bopara has been dropped, the world cup in 6 month should not be a reason. during this series played in weather / damp conditions he would be very useful. a couple of years ago when England beat the Aussies 4 - 0 he was one of the reasons for that score. then to say his bowling in the world cup would not stand up. we would not expect him to bowl his full quota but his little seamer's at the right time during a game, could be missed. he seems to have been treated shabbily

Posted by isitok on (August 19, 2014, 10:05 GMT)

@Daniel Powell: In ODIs Bopara has a batting average of 31.44 and has taken 37 wickets at an average of 37.45. Not crash hot.

Posted by isitok on (August 19, 2014, 10:01 GMT)

@Patchmaster: You ask, "Why on earth are we persisting with Ian Bell ?" From 142 ODI innings Ian Bell has amassed a total of 4832 runs at an average of 37.6 and a strike rate of 76.04 with a highest score of 126 not out, hitting 468 fours and 31 sixes along the way. Not too shabby when compared with the power-house that is Eoin Morgan who has, from 112 ODI innings, garnered a total of 3551 runs at an average of 39.02 and a strike rate of 86.92 with a highest score of 124 not out, hitting 294 fours and 80 sixes. These are not too dissimilar figures, and going into a must win ODI series Ian Bell is an experienced player I would want in my team as opposed to experimenting with unproven younger talent.

Posted by real_gone_gadd on (August 19, 2014, 9:10 GMT)

Seems a bit harsh on Bopara, I would have him in there for one of Stokes or Woakes. I do buy the argument that he might be vulnerable on the wickets down under, but there will be plenty of evening games and damp pitches, especially in NZ, where he could be useful.

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 9:06 GMT)

They should have gone with Bresnan instead of Gurny

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 9:05 GMT)

Bopara has been amazingly consistent over the past 18 months and they drop him? How can you say he's not a match winner when he's been blasting maximums like Hales on crack? Plus he's a useful bowler. Don't agree with this at alll; will come back to haunt England. Poor Ravi!

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (August 19, 2014, 9:03 GMT)

@JG2704, Ithink your looking for something that isn't there, it might be that they are using this series to look at some new blood, and Bopara will be included in a final squad or for one of the other series.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 19, 2014, 9:03 GMT)

@JellybeanYorker on (August 19, 2014, 8:24 GMT) To be honest I only usually read reports on Somerset and div 1 games. To be fair to us posters in the article above it says that Bopara is dropped and doessn't say injured/rested....

Posted by TimMann on (August 19, 2014, 9:00 GMT)

Very sorry for Bopara. The glut of talented batsmen should obviously be solved by Cook being dropped, as he has sometimes suggested himself, making way for Bell and the splendid Hales to open. Then, say, Root, Ballance, Morgan, Buttler, etc. I'm not sure quite where Ali is going to fit in. Morgan should definitely take over as captain though.

Posted by isitok on (August 19, 2014, 8:40 GMT)

@Anil_Koshy: You say, "England should start focusing on the shorter version of the game, they never play one day or T20 seriously." They were ICC ODI Champions in 2012 and won the T-20I World Cup in 2010. You're talking through your hat!

Posted by Charlie101 on (August 19, 2014, 8:40 GMT)

I do not like the squad as I feel we have too many allrounders with Woakes , Stokes , Moen and Jordon - they will play Finn , Anderson , Tredwell and Gurney ( left arm option ) so this leaves those guys fighting over 1 place with poor old Bopara out of the squad.

I feel Moen should not be risked against the Indians as it might set him back if Dhoni etc hit him out of the ground which they will certainly attempt and probably succeed .

Posted by Patchmaster on (August 19, 2014, 8:34 GMT)

Why on earth are we persisting with Ian Bell ? If you gave Hales or Lyth as many goes as Bell gets, they would both score far more runs than Bell. Surely it's time to blood somebody new.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 19, 2014, 8:30 GMT)

In SF cricket - not in tests - does anyone think that Stokes/Woakes are better than Bopara either in batting or bowling?

Could Cook/Ravi have had a fallout?

Posted by Nutcutlet on (August 19, 2014, 8:29 GMT)

Hales' inclusion was always on the cards. Congratulations to him for showing great character and overcoming some early season wobbles by being sent on loan to Worcester. It was an easy one for the selctors to get right, but they've missed the opportunity to rest Cook and, by appointing Eoin Morgan as captain instead, the one day batting could have been strengthened by the inclusion of Bairstow or James Taylor or Roy - the point being the evolution of the 50 over game. Cook, OMO, is not, and should not be thought of, as a short format player. Nonetheless, he has been retained and should now silence his concerned critics (I'm one of them!) by showing that he can maintain a strike rate of 85+ whilst maintaining his current average (38), for those have to be about the benchmarks for this format these days. (Currently, Cook's SR is 78.)

Posted by Vivek.Bhandari on (August 19, 2014, 8:21 GMT)

I think that Tredwell would be more than handy in the wearing pitches of Aus/NZ (remember the tournament is being held in Feb/Mar); he's one of the most underrated bowlers going around and India wouldn't really want to take him lightly considering what happened in the Test series

also, I think England would require few more bits and pieces players than the current squad suggests, can't have Bell/Balance/Cook in the same lineup

Posted by arup_g on (August 19, 2014, 7:37 GMT)

Ridicolous. Bopara is always made to be the scapegoat, but he has rescued England so many times. He is always put into impossible situations, and just falls short but why should they always have to rely on him, at 7, to score the bulk of the runs.

He is a better all rounder than Woakes and Stokes. He scores valuable runs, and his bowling is different to the hard, hit the deck bowlers Woakes and Stokes are. In the middle overs of an innings, he can dry up the runs and take up vital wickets.

I do feel sorry for the guy. He's always dropped and they never give him a proper chance in any of the teams!

Anyway, my XI would be Cook, Hales, Ali, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Jordan, Tredwell, Finn, Anderson

Posted by EdwardMillsGrace on (August 19, 2014, 7:01 GMT)

After several years of England supporters cursing the selectors for including Bopara, forgive me a wry smile at those now cursing them for leaving him out.

It was a surprise, but on reflection makes sense. What were England's problems in the early season Sri Lanka ODI series?

1) Batting too slow at the top, left the middle order too much to do too often - solution, Alex Hales as opener. Can't argue with that. 2) Too many runs conceded and pressure off opposition batting due to weak 5th/6th bowler - Bopara and Root - with no contingency for one of the front 4 getting collared. Again, assuming he's got his batting together, Stokes looks much stronger in the bowling department without weakening the batting, plus potentially Moeen as bowler 6, not because it turns a lot in England, but because slow pitches happen and pace off the ball can be crucial.

It looks a much stronger squad for these changes.

Posted by santhoshg016 on (August 19, 2014, 6:58 GMT)

oh missing Bopara is bonus for indian team.. he is dangerous batsmen who can strike the ball very well comparing to other members in the team,, Bopara was a useful batsmen at no 5 or no 6.. and i would like to see Indian team as follows, Dhawan, Rahane, kohli, sanju samson, Raina, Dhoni, jadeja/ Binny, Ashwin, umesh yadav, Mohit sharma, bhuvi.. India should play Sanju samson, he is very young player he has to learn the England conditions well. he should play at no 4.. Rayudu had given enough chance so its better a youngman should be in the team at any cost... England looking a better team with the good form lets hope India will do well in atleast One day series...

Posted by aahahaa on (August 19, 2014, 6:08 GMT)

at last they got rid of Bopara. Hales' inclusion was long overdue. I would have liked to see James Taylor ahead of Moin Ali. Treadwell is the first choice and you don't need two spinners playing in England. Nevertheless, my playing eleven would be Alastair Cook (capt), Alex Hales, Ian Bell, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, Jos Buttler, Chris Woakes / Ben Stokes, Chris Jordan, James Tredwell, James Anderson, Harry Gurney in that order.

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 5:39 GMT)

bopara is not a match winner

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 5:35 GMT)

Why you Eng fans seems so worried? I am sure if our so called "world-beater" squad play Eng women's team, even then we may not be able to win more than one match. I thought squad of 2011 was our worst to tours shores of Eng, but it keep getting better & better (to find new lows). In 2011 it was bout scoring 300, this time fight is to reach 200, atleast after the Lords that is the case now. A disgusted Indian fan rant ends.....

Posted by Realistic_cri_fan on (August 19, 2014, 5:31 GMT)

England players,time to improve your average,strike rate,economy rate etc.Because India is here.We are good in hospitality and we won't hurt anyone.

Posted by Abbas67 on (August 19, 2014, 5:24 GMT)

Looks good enough keeping WC '15 in mind ... The playing XI might be : Cook Ballance Root Bell Morgan Stokes Buttler Tredwell Jordan Anderson Finn !

Posted by shashi_dhoni on (August 19, 2014, 4:40 GMT)

My england XI would be: Jason Roy , Alex Hales , Root , Morgan , Bopara , Buttler , Stokes , Jordan , Tredwell , Finn , Anderson. Cook , Bell , Balance , Moen Ali , are not fit for ODI in batting paradise (where nowadays ODI pitches prepared like that)

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 4:34 GMT)

That is a bad decision by the England selectors to drop Ravi Bopara. He played realy well in last year in both ODIs and T20s. What these selectors are doing here? They are not allowing players to establish in the team. That's why still England can't win a world cup. They change players in and out for every series. This is so bad and poor cricket by the England selectors.

Cook/ Hales/ Bell/ Root/ Morgan/ Bopara/ Buttler/ Jordan/ Tredwell/ Abderson/ Gurney

Posted by Sexysteven on (August 19, 2014, 4:12 GMT)

Ok hope for England's sake hales does good in the odis so he can get into the test team cos that would be the best for England to have hales opener with Cook in tests cos England do need a dominating batsmen opening with Cook in tests

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 4:00 GMT)

Bopara is much better option than bell...bell is out of form while bopara can keep the wicket in one side and score quickly..

Posted by rezmata on (August 19, 2014, 3:42 GMT)

Dropping Bopara is gonna hurt England. If Hales loses his wicket early.. Cook, Balance, Bell and Root are going to go at a strike rate of 60-70 at best and harbor strike till the 40th over or so, leaving too much for Butler and Morgan to do. Ben and the two Chris's are going to be walking wickets.

Posted by   on (August 19, 2014, 3:41 GMT)

Not sure why people don't think Cook is a capable ODI opener. He has a good record and although his strike rate is a touch low he is still capable of playing quicker innings. You need a couple of players who can stay in, rotate the strike and soak up the pressure. The issue in Australia was that the entire top order seemed too slow - leaving it all up to Morgan and Buttler. Hales as a destructive opener offers more balance. And Root showed in the tests that he can move through the gears (and play all the shots) if given the opportunity. Even Ballance has it in him to hit out, although there's an argument for replacing him with someone with more flair. Like the test XI it's a work in progress and it'd be a surprise if they managed to win the WC, but it's definitely promising.

Posted by Anil_Koshy on (August 19, 2014, 3:27 GMT)

With world cup down the corner, England should start focusing on the shorter version of the game, they never play one day or T20 seriously. They should have picked a side keeping world cup in mind.

Posted by kk4540 on (August 19, 2014, 3:10 GMT)

Oh dear where is michal lumb poor man he deserve a spot in the team drop cook and include lumb cook is not a one day plater but as a indian spotter good to see cook in side

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 1:49 GMT)

(continued)

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 1:41 GMT)

(continued)

Posted by Diaz54 on (August 19, 2014, 1:32 GMT)

bad descion re Bopara! Actually i would want moeen ali in as well, given thast he has bowked well against india in tests, and he can bat.....why go Tredwel, as he aged as well!

i say underlying issues with selection policy i can see moeen ali being dropped as well as soon as he has few bad games....Ballance has got in as well!

Posted by CodandChips on (August 19, 2014, 1:31 GMT)

Posted by jmcilhinney on (August 18, 2014, 23:52 GMT)

I guess the question becomes where exactly do Cook, Bell and Hales bat? I can't see Cook playing anywhere but at the top unless England wanted to play with a flexible batting order, which seems unlikely. That means either opening with Hales and moving Bell down, probably to #3, or batting Hales down the order somewhere.

Posted by Antidisestablishmentarianism on (August 18, 2014, 23:46 GMT)

Chris Jordan will be the player to watch. He has improved with every game, however much people underestimate him. 7 for 50 in the last Test would get him man of the match on any other day. He is a great talent.

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (August 18, 2014, 23:33 GMT)

First off I'm a huge fan of Bopara since he and Broad put on that match winning stand in 2007 against India. That said, his omission makes sense in that there is an abundance of middle order batsmen at the moment with Root, Ballance, Bell, and Morgan vying for the #3 to #5 spots while the #6 slot will in all probability go to a genuine all rounder like Moeen Ali or Ben Stokes depending on conditions. If Morgan is a shoo in at #5, then Root, Bell, and Ballance are fighting for the #3 and #4 spot and one of them will be left out. Therefore Ravi is surplus material when it comes to available batting spots and his omission makes sense. We don't have to agree with it but at least we can see their reasoning. Remember in ODI you need 5 bowlers (India just over did in the test matches where you really only need 4...LOL)

Posted by whirlaway on (August 18, 2014, 23:30 GMT)

I think they should use the Test XI as the basis and replace Robson by Hales, Broad by Stokes, Moeen Ali by Tredwell and Ballance/Bell by Morgan.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 23:21 GMT)

bopara not done anything badly to lose his place?. he deserved to be treat better...

Posted by JG2704 on (August 18, 2014, 23:10 GMT)

Absolutely shocking decision re Bopara. He is a better one day bowler than Woakes and Stokes put together. How often have him and Tredwell saved England from the highest embarrassment with the ball? Stokes is dropped from the test side where he bowled well but is now back in the ODI side where his bowling has been expensive and his batting flakey. Bopara has had criticism for his lack of urgency with the bat but at 7 (below Buttler) I thought was a good position for him and I felt he started to show more urgency. Not only that but Ravi adds variety to the bowling attack. Still not convinced by Ballance in this format either but the decision to drop one of our most consistently economical SF bowlers (and a handy batsman) is baffling

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 22:22 GMT)

I hope the ECB won't regret leaving Bopara out of the ODI side. In my opinion he is a very useful all rounder and can bowl a few useful overs and can get runs.

Posted by ddhillon21 on (August 18, 2014, 21:28 GMT)

Bopara performed better than half of England team in last one year especially Morgan and he provide bowling option as well. Completely wrong decision leaving him out of squad. He was player of year not so long ago...

Posted by D.S.A on (August 18, 2014, 21:20 GMT)

@Harry-Lime: Absolutely right. The face refers to something else too, no?

Posted by Jaffa79 on (August 18, 2014, 21:19 GMT)

Seems unfair on Ravi, who has become a dependable bowler and an explosive batsman. A cert for me. I find it incredible that the likes of James Taylor and James Vince have not had a look whilst a bog average seamer like Gurney gets a go and Stokes, who has done nothing to justify his inclusion. Bresnan too, has been unfairly treated. I know he was a bit pedestrian in Aus but so was Jimmy! I think he is a better all round bet than Jordan. It is right not to depend on Ali as the sole spinner as he is still learning his trade at ODI level. Perhaps he and Ravi are sluggin it our for that no.6/all rounder role?

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 20:53 GMT)

I still think Tim Bresnan is worth a place, and he's batting and bowling well again now. I cant see why they persist with Tredwell.

Posted by ruester on (August 18, 2014, 20:50 GMT)

Why is Jimmy in the squad? let him put his feet up for a few weeks, then we might extend his test career by not bowling him into the ground.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 20:34 GMT)

I think Ravi has an injury and is unable to bowl. That's why he is not in the squad. He hasn't bowled recently for Essex, even in one day games.

Posted by yorkshire-86 on (August 18, 2014, 20:33 GMT)

Please not Woakes again... And what has Ali done?

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 20:32 GMT)

Cannot believe no room for Ravi! Batsman with class who can bowl a spell and a good 10 in the right conditions. Damn shame!

Posted by Cottard on (August 18, 2014, 20:28 GMT)

Gotta agree with the lack of all rounders post. I was dismayed to see Finn's name in the squad, no offense to Finn, may well rightly regain his place in the test team but he's not the answer to our one day problems.Why don't the selectors take the opportunity to try out a couple of younger players with potential (sorry for the Somerset bias but Craig Overton and Lewis Gregory spring to mind) and it just seems crazy to me to leave out Bopara, someone with the ability to win games batting at six or seven..does the batting line up, with the exception of Morgan and Buttler excite. Cook, Ballance and Root? Why not also pick Robson and Compton and be done with it. If this is the squad we take to the world cup I can't see anything other than another colossal disappointment. Which is a shame as we have the players to win the thing but unfortunately we don't seem to have the selectors...

Posted by CricHiren on (August 18, 2014, 20:22 GMT)

Ravi Bopara is Class All Rounder for England thts wrong Selection.

Posted by CricHiren on (August 18, 2014, 20:18 GMT)

Ravi Bopara is Class All Rounder Player for England. Wrong selection.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 20:17 GMT)

Best squad for the odi England can possibly have... mark my wordsThis squad will win the world cup for England . stokes is much better than bopara...Commoooonn England. st

Posted by RoBoBobster on (August 18, 2014, 20:09 GMT)

@JellybeanYorker true but with the current squad Hales is out early hugely unlikely England will get more than 250-270, with Bopara 300 is almost possible. Would rather win 1/2 games with a varying score than 1/4 with a consistent, poor score. Problem is England didn't no whether to stick or twist, and have done neither. They may escape vs India bowling but it won't last. On evidence Bopara's bowling has been better than Stokes/Woakes in short form

Posted by Jamie-1212 on (August 18, 2014, 20:04 GMT)

@Kamal Ahmed Yes Ballance has an excellent List A record. In the few ODI's he has played for England he really struggled to rotate the strike and as a result has a low strike rate. Therefore i wouldn't put him in the side with bell and cook.

However, I have seen Gary Ballance explode on numerous occasions for Yorkshire in t20 cricket and i don't doubt his ability to accelerate in the domestic game. He definetly has the potential to become a big player for England in one day cricket, but so far hasn't done much in the ODI format.

Posted by Harry-Lime on (August 18, 2014, 19:51 GMT)

Bopara's always been badly served by England management and selectors - like all the middle & lower order he's been asked to cover for the shortcomings of Cook/ Bell / Trott and all the other one-paced accumulators. Cook will miss his bowling too as the inexperienced seamers here won't keep the runs down in the middle overs.

So is it that Bopara is paying the price of being a friend of KP? This "new regime" continuing to prove that it's more important that your face fits than your value on the field.

Posted by Baundele on (August 18, 2014, 19:49 GMT)

Bopara is the most useful ODI player in the England side. Sad selection.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 19:44 GMT)

Dont need Tredwell. Moeen is good enough be the spinner in the side. He picked up 19 wickets at 23.00 in the tests. He should be picked on bowling alone! Also, Stokes bowls to short and wide and cant hit the ball to save his life at the moment. Lets try to keep a similar team similar to the test squad. Only exceptions being Morgan, Hales and Finn.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 19:37 GMT)

@jamie-1212 what about Ballance he is a very good ODI player

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 19:31 GMT)

Ravi may have a good T20 average... but if you watched the games in the last year you'll see he's played for his average but finishing not out. I think it's good he's been left out. Ultimately, where does he fit in? There are better batters and better bowlers. He's almost been a victim of bizarre selection by England's inability to include our best players, like Hales.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 19:29 GMT)

finally he is in the squad I really think he is a great timer of the cricket ball n we are waiting to see him hope he does well he deserved this chance then any one else all he is in a very good form all the best hales

Posted by landl47 on (August 18, 2014, 19:11 GMT)

Unlike test cricket, where specialists and genuine all-rounders are required, short-format cricket needs bits-and-pieces cricketers to balance the side. This squad doesn't seem to have enough of them; Cook, Bell, Ballance, Morgan and Hales don't bowl at all and Root can't be relied on for 10 overs. Finn, Gurney and Anderson are non-bats and Tredwell's no better than a #10 at this level. With Buttler keeping wicket, that leaves Stokes, Woakes, Moeen and Jordan as the all-rounders- all of them desperately inexperienced in ODIs.

With 5 bowlers (plus Root if he is selected) needed, at least one batsman sits. If either Finn or Gurney plays alongside Anderson, that moves Tredwell up to #9.That leaves two places for Stokes, Woakes, Ali and Jordan, unless England wants to risk leaving out Tredwell and using Ali and Root as the 5th bowler.

The side seems unbalanced and short on experience to me. I'd have kept Bopara, sat out Cook and made Morgan captain. However, we'll see what they can do.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 19:07 GMT)

Seriously, dropping Ravi ! Truely inept selection.

Posted by RakarthIX on (August 18, 2014, 19:06 GMT)

Let's just hope he doesn't also get dropped from T20 squad given that he has had the highest average and best strike rate over the last year as well as being the most economical bowler

Posted by RakarthIX on (August 18, 2014, 19:03 GMT)

I don't see the logic of dropping Bopara at all. Over the last year he has probably been England's best limited overs bowler and has scored runs fairly consistently too.

Posted by isitok on (August 18, 2014, 19:02 GMT)

@RoBoBobster: You say, "England's strength was keeping wickets in hand with the ability to explode." Predictable and futile as a strategy.

Posted by wapuser on (August 18, 2014, 18:47 GMT)

I don't understand why bapara is not included in the squad especially when we you playing against India where England batsmens will be tested by spin attack ...

Posted by isitok on (August 18, 2014, 18:45 GMT)

@emailmkarthik@ "Consistent" = predictable.

@ R_U_4_REAL_NICK: "underrated" = underachieving.

Otherwise you would be saying he excels and is invaluable, which he is not.

Posted by RoBoBobster on (August 18, 2014, 18:41 GMT)

my XI from squad Hales, Bell, Balance, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Jordan, Tredwell, Anderson, Finn though Cook will probably play for Bell Would prefer Hales, Wright, Ballance, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Jordan, Tredwell, Finn, Anderson Stokes for Woakes purely as he's probably better suited for Aus. I want England to win the series, but I hope for our sake we are pushed close and don't make huge totals even with wickets in hand so we realise we need at least two stronger hitters at the top, bearing in mind the powerplay. Bell at three is fine if England feel he is more solid than Balance or more generally effective than Root.

Posted by D.S.A on (August 18, 2014, 18:35 GMT)

Bopara's omission doesn't cause more outrage? Not surprised at the bias. He's been one of England's best limited-overs players, with his efforts going unnoticed, but as he doesn't fit the mould, he'll get dropped as soon as they can create a sliver of doubt over his position. He should now be considered a certainty, but instead, they'll mess him about, in order to destabilise him, so if he doesn't perform for Essex now, he'll be permanently dropped. Disgraceful.

Posted by Jamie-1212 on (August 18, 2014, 18:35 GMT)

About time Alex Hales was selected. England need to score quicker at the top of the order and Alex Hales is the man to do this. I would have loved to see another a strokemaker selected in the top order and the selectors call time on Ian Bell's career, Just 3 ODI hundreds in 146 Matches at a strike rate of 76 is not good enough. I want to see Vince or Roy coming in at 3 with Hales and Cook opening, you need to score more quickly on the flat pitches in Australia.

England will do alright in English conditions, but when it comes to the world cup Cook and Bell won't score quickly enough. Therefore Morgan and Buttler will come in with 10-15 overs left and too much to do as usual. In Australia you need to be scoring 330 - 350, not the 270-290 you get in England.

From the squad available though, England will pick the following side:

1)Cook 2) Hales 3)Bell 4) Root 5) Morgan 6) Buttler 7)Stokes/Ali (depending on conditions) 8) Jordan 9) Tredwell 10) Finn 11)Anderson

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 18:31 GMT)

Bopara is a better ODI player than half the squad - why on earth has he been dropped?

Posted by wibblewibble on (August 18, 2014, 18:30 GMT)

This is madness, Ravi Bopara is our stand-out star player. He makes Morgan look like a schoolboy when it comes to finishing.

Posted by RoBoBobster on (August 18, 2014, 18:27 GMT)

Ludicrous squad! England's strength was keeping wickets in hand with the ability to explode. Now they appear to be saying for a really big total the only chance is Hales, as without Bopara it is highly unlikely more than one of Buttler and Morgan can give them the big finish. With Bopara out they need more bowling, and Stokes/Woakes/Ali have far less calibre to explode, which combined with decidedly mediocre ODI bowling (expensive in the past - Woakes, Ali not suited to Aus)

This weaker finish is OK however if there is more power in the top 4 - with Woakes/Stokes/Ali better suited to rescue England if wickets fall. At least one more explosive top order player is needed - my preference is Luke Wright but I understand calls for Roy or even Lumb. Also ridiculous that they are worried they need a different team here to in Aus. Conditions may be worse, but I pity any team afraid of the likes of Sharma and Bhuvi, or even Yadav/Aaron - and spin shouldn't be a big factor here.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (August 18, 2014, 18:10 GMT)

I think the dibbly-dobbly bowling of Bopara is very underrated in ODI's, and personally I'd have him in place of Woakes. Otherwise, no big surprises. Hales deserves a chance at ODI's, but I'm still dubious about trying him in tests. People will no doubt moan about Bell as usual, but with no Trott to steady the ship, I think he's crucial in the side now and hopefully will show some form. With the likes of Ballance, Morgan, Buttler and now Hales there in the squad, who says England lack firepower! I wish Cook would step down from the short formats, but that was never going to happen. Thank heavens they've included a spinner (Tredwell) for the series.

Posted by   on (August 18, 2014, 18:10 GMT)

Good team selection.. but not looks like as strong as to win the world cup.. cook and bell is the week link.

Posted by emailmkarthik on (August 18, 2014, 18:06 GMT)

How does dropping Bopara make sense? He has been one of the consistent performers in T20's and ODIs of late. Decent hitter too.

Posted by isitok on (August 18, 2014, 18:02 GMT)

This looks a nicely balanced squad. Some of the younger players have demonstrated their worth already, having been given the chance, and it's right to retain those with promise who haven't had the chance to do so yet. The return of Finn adds some real teeth to the attack, and the end of the protracted dalliance with Bopara removes an element of which version will turn up on the day. I'm undecided on Morgan, but welcome the retention of Cook as captain, provided he has an opening partner with a reasonable strike rate. All in all, this could be a winning set up.

Posted by FAB_ALI on (August 18, 2014, 18:00 GMT)

Good to see Anderson there in ODI squad, Go India tear him apart now!!!!

Alan GardnerClose