England v India, 5th ODI, Headingley September 4, 2014

Ton ends Rahane's sleepless nights

The one-day series was threatening to continue the trend of Ajinkya Rahane not building on his starts, but then he sped towards a maiden hundred which helped ease his concerns
  shares 35

Play 02:32
Ajinkya Rahane relieved after century

In the second ODI of the series, the first essentially, Ajinkya Rahane played a forward-defensive, was beaten, and had dragged his back foot out. He was stumped. He couldn't sleep that night. If you are an Indian batsman, you don't get stumped playing a forward-defensive to gentle offspin. You just don't.

However, in Rahane's case, a bigger concern led to the sleepless night. This was the 13th time out of 16 in a 31-innings career that he had failed to reach 60 after 40. There was no hundred to his name. He had a middling average and a strike-rate. If you looked at his career stats, you wouldn't be able to tell he had been batting really well.

Two ODIs later, though, at Edgbaston, Rahane finally got that hundred to seal a comfortable series win for India. Before the start of the final game, Rahane was a much more relaxed man. A man with no monkey on his back.

"It was really special [getting that hundred]," Rahane said. "After two 40s in the first two ODIs, and the way I got out, I was really hurt. I couldn't sleep after the first game because the way I got out stumped. It was a really silly mistake of mine. I was really determined in the third ODI. Once I crossed the next 10 runs after 40, my natural game took over."

Like many observers, Rahane, too, questioned his focus during the 40s. Even at Trent Bridge, he opened the face of the bat to be caught at the wicket. Again in the 40s. "When you get out softly, somewhere you feel your focus is dropping a bit," Rahane said. "Team-mates also help you, and nudge you into the right direction. All team-mates and the captain supported me. They told me to focus harder during the 40s, to try to play straight, and to concentrate harder."

Rahane reserved special gratitude for Ravi Shastri, the new team director in the wake of the Test debacle. "I was batting well in the first two ODIs, but got out on 45 and 41," Rahane said. "That hurt me a lot because if you are batting so well in good conditions against this attack, if you get a big score it is good for my confidence and team morale. It hurt the team chances too that I was not converting my starts.

"Ravi Shastri was very helpful during this phase. He asked me to continue playing the way I was playing, just asked for a little extra focus between 40 and 50. 'Once you cross 50, your instinct will take over.' My focus in the third ODI was to focus that bit harder once I crossed 40, at least for those 10 next runs. After that I backed my instinct."

Rahane said that during those 40s he began to think too much, which is not ideal. "I knew deep inside that a big innings was around the corner," Rahane said. "When you are batting well, you don't think too much. All I had to think about was how do I focus that bit extra between 40 and 50, and how I prepare for that phase before the match. It was just a mind game."

Rahane approached the 40s at Edgbaston as many do their 90s: to just get it out of the way as soon as possible. "When I was on 44, my mindest was that if I see a ball I can hit I will try to complete the half-century with a six," Rahane said. "So when I was on 47, with Moeen Ali bowling and about six fielders in the circle, I thought if the ball is in my zone, I will hit a six. So the square leg was up, and I got a chance to play that sweep that went for six. My mindset was to remain positive. I didn't think of small steps that would take me to the half-century, I wanted to remain positive."

That Rahane's first ODI century has come as an opener creates interesting possibilities. For starters, Shikhar Dhawan said after Edgbaston that Rahane's intent helped him settled down into his first big innings of the tour. Rahane spoke about that 183-run partnership, which was more than India's opening stands in the last three Tests put together.

"When we went out to bat, the ball seamed around for the first five-six overs," Rahane said. "I told him I will remain positive, and if I see a ball I can hit I will go after it. In that over itself [the fifth of India's innings] I hit four boundaries, and the momentum switched towards us. Then Shikhar asked me to continue playing that way. I backed my game, and that allowed Shikhar some time to settle in. Once he got in, it was a joy to watch him bat from the non-striker's end."

Rahane was not India's first-choice opener for this ODI series. It was Rohit Sharma, who got injured during the Cardiff match. MS Dhoni asked Rahane if he was up to opening the innings, and Rahane accepted the opportunity and the challenge gladly. "When you captain shows that confidence in you, you also must be prepared mentally to take that challenge on."

However, that now leaves the changing room with an interesting debate when Rohit does come back from his injury. Rahane wouldn't get into a discussion into it at the moment. "I haven't thought of it yet," he said. "We always want to play for each other. We want to enjoy each other's performance. A good team is one that plays for each other."

Sidharth Monga is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 6, 2014, 5:27 GMT

@mfislam i dont think u see cricket or follow cricket at all and just comments what ever u want to and the defintion of technique is not hitting the ball hard and out of the ground or defend all the balls bowled to you its maintaining balance when hit any shot aggresive and defensive and rahane's balance is perfect when ever he hits any shot and he dont hav class then see his 51*,96,118,103,54,52* all in overseas then u will find what is class and technique and balance and rahane scored most of the runs in the against james anderson who had virat kohli seven times and u need technique to play against anderson and rahane has the best and dont just comment rubbish to make people laugh

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 6, 2014, 5:17 GMT

@mfislam what a joke about rahane's technique and i fell of the chair watching ur comments what a joke 96 on durban where where indian team scored 230 and the secong best score is 31 against dale steyn,morkel,philander and in first innings 51 notout and lords hundred one of the greenest pitches ever and he scored only 2 runs towards 3rd man u cant score like that if u dont hav right technique and technique is bad when u get bowled,lbw,or caught behind frequently and rahane is the last person in the indian team to get out in those fashion

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 6, 2014, 5:08 GMT

u don't need to be a traditional indian batsmen to score runs for india u can do in any way u want and u can look as ugly as possible to score runs and its a real joke that rahane is overrated he abg 64 in domestic cricket and abg 60 in emerging players tournment that india won and he was the only young lad who scored hundreds in all india A tours he went overseas and i think some comment just flukely without seeing matches and just watching scores after match and if u are virat fan say virat has class but dont say rahane has no class because its a joke and i want to ask one thing who is the leading runscorer in the series and rahane is the one of the classiest batsmen india have ever produced

• POSTED BY mfislam on | September 5, 2014, 20:03 GMT

overrated, I never feel him like a typical Indian batsman. if it is runs that matters than hes okay, hes getting runs these days. most ugliest/ peculiar Indian top order batsmen I have ever seen, even the "lost" batsmen Md. Kaif had way better technique than Rahane, I always wonder where the Kaif lost? It was a dream team Sourav, Shewag, Sachin, Dravid, Kaif, Yubraj... the purest top order. look at the present line up , its funny, except Virat I dont find any class in 't.

traditionally it is Indian batting line up brought all the victory for thm in the past while they have the most funniest bowling line up. they are lucky they are getting some swings with the ball these days, if otherwise what really they could do with the present batting line up?

• POSTED BY on | September 5, 2014, 9:55 GMT

Move away the Pujaras and the Kohlis. Rahane is India's best batsman.

• POSTED BY android_user on | September 5, 2014, 9:45 GMT

rahane presently is a top class opener for India , batsman whose calibre looks higher than Sachin at times. .He has a silky touch in mastering strokes, better be an opener in odis and in tests too instead of 4 position..

• POSTED BY on | September 5, 2014, 9:28 GMT

I feel Rahane should continue at no.5 at tests... Rohit should bat at no.6 in tests... but in ODIs, rahane is pretty much the quintessential opener, who has a neat technique against the new ball and who can anchor the innings with great efficiency... Rohit is actually sluggish against the new ball especially if some world class swing bowler is operating... he is more comfortable in the middle overs after which he has a wide range of strokes to accelerate... ODI XI for the WC - Dhawan, Rahane, Kohli, Rohit, Dhoni, Ashwin, Jadeja/Aaron, Bhuvi, Shami and Yadav...

• POSTED BY android_user on | September 5, 2014, 9:19 GMT

Sachin taken 79 innings to score maiden odi century. rahane 46 innings. both are technically good. both have habit of getting out in bad balls. ;). lol

• POSTED BY Naresh28 on | September 5, 2014, 6:50 GMT

Lets face the fact - Rahane would make a great TEST opener, Rohit should be persisted with in ODI's as opener. Patience and technique are required at the test level. With Vijay, Rahane should open. Rohit is a better limited overs player - one should not forget the 200 he made against Oz. Right now Rahane is the best we have - the coaches need to work on KOHLI. At the moment we have - Rayudu, Naman Ohja, Tiwari and Sanju Samson - these guys should be in the mix. While we speak of the batting its the bowling that needs loads of attention.

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 5, 2014, 5:11 GMT

i still cant understand why rohit cant establish in indian 11

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 6, 2014, 5:27 GMT

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 6, 2014, 5:17 GMT

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 6, 2014, 5:08 GMT

• POSTED BY mfislam on | September 5, 2014, 20:03 GMT

• POSTED BY on | September 5, 2014, 9:55 GMT

Move away the Pujaras and the Kohlis. Rahane is India's best batsman.

• POSTED BY android_user on | September 5, 2014, 9:45 GMT

• POSTED BY on | September 5, 2014, 9:28 GMT

• POSTED BY android_user on | September 5, 2014, 9:19 GMT

• POSTED BY Naresh28 on | September 5, 2014, 6:50 GMT

• POSTED BY RahaneRules on | September 5, 2014, 5:11 GMT

i still cant understand why rohit cant establish in indian 11

• POSTED BY wapuser on | September 5, 2014, 4:07 GMT

When India was struggling to get an opener with partner of dhawan the team experimented Rohit and he did his job with very handsomely. He proved it in champions trophy and in India vs aus. That time our so called great player kohli smashed fastest century for india. How that was possible because rohit usually creates pressure on other players by his slow batting. How dhawan makes 4 centuries during this time. Now both dhawan and kohli are struggling to get runs not because of rohit's slow batting but its their own form and faults. I accept it if ur partner is good then someone can get runs little bit easily but it is compeletly ridiculous to blame rohit for other player's lack of runs. Kohli is struggling to score runs. Indians won the series because of our bowlers are doing better job than expected and england is not a good odi side. Above all Rahane emerges as a good player with in this tour. This will help us to defend our WC title. Rohit and dhawan will be our opener in wc its sure

• POSTED BY caldruid on | September 5, 2014, 3:32 GMT

I really wish Rahane would not give these interviews and instead quietly work more on his game. Getting his first hundred is good but there is too much stuff that journos are asking him to comment about ( like Dhawan's supposed talent ).

• POSTED BY Sexysteven on | September 5, 2014, 1:25 GMT

I've always said rahane should open for India in tests and odis especially overseas cos he has the technique to see off the new ball and make it easier for players like kohli to come rohit to move down the order that will make the middle order stronger for me rahane has been one of the better players on this tour sure he's been getting starts and getting out but he has looked good so I would stick with him

• POSTED BY AjaySridharan on | September 5, 2014, 0:53 GMT

Here's what I don't get. All these players will tell you that they don't care for stats and that they play for the team, etc. If that is truly the case, why care so much for a 50 and a 100?! There's not much difference between a 49 and 51 is it? or for that matter, between a 95 and 101. All that pressure is just in the head, which tells you they really do care for personal stats, and will do so at the cost of team interest. Sachin was no exception. It is during times like that I really appreciate team men like Sehwag and Gilly.

• POSTED BY FishTail on | September 4, 2014, 18:55 GMT

Cherry Wood I agree that Rahane should have opened in test instead of Gambhir with Rohit in the middle. Rahane was opener before he was pushed to middle. Mgmt should ask Rahne if he wants to open consistently. Likewise, Rohit is a middle order batsman pushed to open; ask if he is comfortable, othwerise take him back to his normal middle order role.

ODI is all about hand eye cordination and Dhawan has that and also creates left/right opening pair. Stick with him in ODI, but for test I am not convinced. Vijay/Rahane sounds good to me with likes of Raydu/Rohit in the middle.

For WC, the 1st choice spinner is Aswin not Jaddu, period. See if Binny (Pathan), a good role players can be accomodated. You cant play Jaddu & Aswin both in WC. Its not India where any spinners can roll thier arm. You need quality spinners to beat quality team like Aus, RSA, Lankans; Eng is diff story.

But India should not be carreid away with ODI sweep; they lost miserably in true Test of cricket - TEST.

• POSTED BY mfislam on | September 4, 2014, 18:11 GMT

the basic problem with Indian fans is pretty straightforward, they don take time to decide. one century and Rahane became a great player!! and some people already put him above Kohli!! poor Indians.. it was just an easy match for him, no pressure no challenge at all.. whatever you have more than 50 ipl players, keep shuffling!!!!!

• POSTED BY CherryWood_Champion on | September 4, 2014, 17:52 GMT

In alien conditions Rahane and Rayudu are technically much better than Kohli and Rohit. Infact once Dhawan was dropped in the tests, I was vouching for Rahane to open the test innings. My 15 for world cup 1) Dhawan 2) Rahane 3) Kohli 4) Rayudu 5) Raina 6) Dhoni 7) Jadeja 8) Ashwin 9) Bhuvaneshwar 10) Shami 11) Varun Aoron 12) Rohit Sharma 13) Umesh Yadav 14) Sanju Samson 15) Ishwar Pandey

• POSTED BY Karan_Aggarwal on | September 4, 2014, 17:49 GMT

First of all congrats to Rahane on his wonderful ton. I personally feel that Rohit put some extra pressure on his partner when he open the innings... He is very slow in first 7-8 overs which creates extra pressure on his partner whereas Rahane is completely opposite.Look at the innings he has played as opener. The strike rate is almost 90 which is really amazing. In world cup we need a batsman who can score run quickly instead of creating pressure on other like Rohit. Rohit should be fortunate enough to get so many chances in his career. It may be too early to say that Rahane can be a good opener but looking at his performance as opener in all international innings has played he can prove to be one of the future opener. He is very calm and composed and dont show his emotions on field the only thing he has to learn on how to convert in big scores like Kohli did in his career.

• POSTED BY yuva19 on | September 4, 2014, 16:47 GMT

@lakjak Everyone is not made up in the same way. Dont ever call Rahane mediocre,he's easily the next big thing to Indian cricket. P.S He's averaging 58 in First class cricket for gods sake.

• POSTED BY wapuser on | September 4, 2014, 16:26 GMT

There is no doubt about the technique of Rahane. He has better technique than any other indian batsman like kohli and rohit. But kohli is god gifted player like tendulkar. Rohit is also god gifted player but he has to prove himself that he is very good player and prove his critics wrong. Being fan of rohit it is very sad for me that he is still struggling to his confirm berth in indian test team. God may bless him so that he can come through his doldrums.

• POSTED BY prasanna_79 on | September 4, 2014, 16:23 GMT

Rohit would serve the team far better in the middle order than in the top order.. He should play all the ODIs till the world cup at No.4 & should be given chance to settle in his role.. Though he has scored pretty consistently at the top of the order.., its really painful to see him getting beaten on both the edges of the bat regularly when the ball does a bit in the air or off the seam.. Rahane on the other hand is pretty organised with his technique..,looks pretty relaxed at the crease facing the new ball & looks to rotate more..,which is the biggest problem for rohit at the start.. Also.., rohit can play the big shots once he settles in or during the power plays & final overs as well.. Just imagine Raina & Rohit at the crease during the final overs.. But the only thing he should be careful about is playing lazy shots & getting out.. All the best to both of the players..

• POSTED BY cric_lover_1991 on | September 4, 2014, 16:15 GMT

@lakjak dhoni dont have single ton in outside subcontinent in his career up to now and also dont have atleast 50 in T20I and he is a bunny to every bowler in tests outside subcontinent and also sachin in his early stage where 2 ducks in first two debut odis and made 100 in 72nd odi

• POSTED BY cric_lover_1991 on | September 4, 2014, 16:05 GMT

@lakjak hello you are saying about sachin, he got 100 in his 72 odi becoz he played in no.4,no.5 initially like rahane. is rahane mediocre batsmen? where are you living man did you forget that his 96(sa),118(nz), and lords 100, two 50's in 3rd test in and avg of 50 in overseas tests in early test career he played only one test in india and 91 against eng in odis and at opening his avg is 50+ in odis . he is failed to convert his 40's to big innings in middle order. he is a class opener and not hard hitter like yuvi,dhoni,raina to score more runs than balls or hitting from first ball

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 15:54 GMT

Rahane is a likeable chap like Dravid. It is good he had this off his back....

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 15:00 GMT

And a tip before the Australian tour...while preparing in the nets,i urge all the front line batsman to deliberately edge the ball and practice..deliberately try to outside edge the ball that is delivered at 4th and 5th stumps...That practice will actually increase the skill level and perhaps make them better players in quicker tracks because it will automatically train themselves to be in better position to play and leave if they can employ this practice method.

• POSTED BY wapuser on | September 4, 2014, 14:57 GMT

Rohit is more capable player than he has been now. He has big problem with his mindset when he comes to bat in opening slot he has already set his mind that he will play slow till fifty then he will attack if he survives till then but he forgets that somebody who waits for good they get only very few after others leave. He should learn from kohli and Rahane whenever u get opportunity grabs it with both end otherwise u will be kicked by other players. I hope when he makes his come back we see in new avatar.

• POSTED BY lakjak on | September 4, 2014, 14:56 GMT

here is a Mediocre batsmen talking like an achiever with just one century after so many failed innings. When Sachin, Ganguly,Dravid, Dhoni started their career they never spoke like this, they let their bat speak for them self and accumulated centuries and fifties at will.

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:51 GMT

Ajinkya! first of all well done on the brilliant century. As you have mentioned that you were waiting to hit a six when on forty, I think once you have broken that jinx, it is always better not to get premeditated about hitting a six. Just play with a straight bat and take each ball and play it on its merit. DONT PLAY PREMEDITATED SHOTS! Keep your cool and be modest. You have a good technique and it will come through eventually.

• POSTED BY Big_Poppa_94 on | September 4, 2014, 14:43 GMT

@AsherCA: The conundrum now is that before Rohit was criticised for being to rash with his batting and getting out cheaply. His critics said he was careless. He then decided to play himself in and then explode, when playing in bowler friendly conditions (SA, NZ etc). The problem then arose that he'd eat up deliveries and get out, thus putting pressure on the likes of Kohli to up the scoring rate.

I personally think Rohit Sharma is the most naturally gifted batsman in the Indian team. He always looks at ease. It's as if he has more time than other batsman. He looked fine at Southampton Test match before playing a silly shot to Moeen Ali, right before Tea. That is the problem, he has the technique but not the temperament. Coupled with him getting countless chances and only performing like every 12 games, the patience of the average Indian fan is constantly waning. He'll need a massive good series in Aus and then WC to possibly win over his critics.

• POSTED BY AK_25 on | September 4, 2014, 14:42 GMT

" followers of Mumbai cricket had started to write him off as a a fine talent but fit only to make a swift 50. Two years later, he had shown they were way off."

like he sorted out his problems in domestic career from i hope here on he will only improve and become backbone of india....

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:39 GMT

Rahane from now on should be the regular test number 4...In tests the number 1,2,3,& 4 are the ones who should be the heaviest run scorers for a team...Virat is a player who is comfortable scoring a 120 of 140 balls..But a rahane can score a 200 of 350 balls...He is a proven run machine in first class cricket..Let Virat be that aggressor at number 5 or 6.

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:36 GMT

"When your* captain shows that confidence in you..."

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:31 GMT

What a selfless guy! The shots he played and the dominance he displayed indicate that he is going to be a great player.India is certainly lucky to have him.

• POSTED BY AsherCA on | September 4, 2014, 14:23 GMT

Rohit has a better chance of success against the rising ball than almost all other Indian batsmen when he is focussed. When he is not focussed on the game, he would be as bad as others when they are focussed & therefore, others add less value in Australia than Rohit. Dhawan has got a fair amount of runs in batsman-friendly conditions against a batsman-friendly bowling & fielding side. He therefore does not inspire as much confidence as some other Indian batsmen. When Rohit is fit & firing, maybe Dhawan will end up having to make way.

• POSTED BY MrSri on | September 4, 2014, 14:17 GMT

Ajinkya Rahane - don't get these tons into your head and start behaving like superstars , always try to be like Dravid , Sachin and you will not only win money like so who pretend like superstars but also you will gain respect and love through the globe. Remember Sachin and Rahul they never acted like superstars but they are in our hearts and they a lot more than superstars.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• POSTED BY MrSri on | September 4, 2014, 14:17 GMT

• POSTED BY AsherCA on | September 4, 2014, 14:23 GMT

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:31 GMT

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:36 GMT

"When your* captain shows that confidence in you..."

• POSTED BY on | September 4, 2014, 14:39 GMT