England in New Zealand 2012-13

Broad 'fit and good' for England return

ESPNcricinfo staff

January 30, 2013

Stuart Broad got through ten overs but suffered a heel problem, Mumbai A v England XI, 2nd day, Mumbai, November 4, 2012
Stuart Broad has been out of action since November © Getty Images

Stuart Broad has arrived in New Zealand "fit and good" to return to England duty.

Broad has not played since the second Test in Mumbai in November, where his 0 for 60 was his second consecutive wicketless Test. Broad was subsequently dropped for the second time in his career.

A heel problem prevented his return as captain for the T20 series, which England drew 1-1 with Eoin Morgan leading the side, before snow denied him the chance to re-join his colleagues in India for the final two matches of the ODI series.

The poor weather has hindered Broad's training programme, so he is glad to be back in warmer climes, arriving a few hours ahead of the rest of the squad who travelled direct from India following Sunday's final ODI.

"I have not done any outdoor running because it has been a bit hazardous at home," Broad said. "But I feel pretty good and look forward to getting going and excited to be here. With the snow back home it has been tricky to really test anything.

"It was disappointing not to get out to India and do some outdoor bowling ready for this tour but we have plenty of time to do some work here leading into the warm-up games and the first Twenty20."

England play two warm-up matches on February 4 and 6 before the first of three T20s on February 9 in Auckland. It will be the first time Broad has captained England since they tumbled out of the World T20 at the Super Eights stage in October.

Broad will be hoping for a return to form after averaging 39.72 with the ball and 14.00 with the bat in his last full Test series - against South Africa in July and August. He has also been short of one-day cricket having missed the ODI series with South Africa in September. His overs at the World T20 were taken for 7.42 runs each.

Short of match-practise, Broad's first task is to feel satisfied that his heel injury has recovered. "When you've not played cricket for five or six weeks, I suppose you go into a game a little bit unsure," he said. "I have done quite a lot of treadmill running, and a lot of spinning, so I'm fit. I just need to test out the impact of it.

"We've got well over a week till the first Twenty20 game, and that should be plenty to get it right."

Broad travelled to Adidas headquarters in Germany to have his boots moderated to help ease the strain. "I have had a bit of adjusting to the foam inside the boot and we will see how that goes outside," he said. "But I have bowled five or six spells of six or seven overs indoors, which felt good. And you'd have thought indoor bowling would be as big a test on the heel as anything.

"I feel fit and good, so where I am at now I feel ready to go."

Longer term for Broad there is the challenge of trying to regain his Test place in what is likely to be a three-man pace attack alongside James Anderson and Steven Finn. It was Finn who initially replaced Broad in India and then Tim Bresnan played the final Test although he is absent from this tour.

Broad began 2012 in impressive form with consistent performances against Pakistan in the UAE and then claimed 11 wickets against West Indies at Lord's before having less of an impact against South Africa and conceded being dropped in India was the right decision.

"I'm quite relaxed, and I know that if I bowl well and hang in there and do the right things in training, then wickets come your way," Broad said. "I had a really good start, first half of the year, and was the leading seamer in the world.

"Then I went three innings without taking a wicket in India and lost my place. That happens and it was probably a good decision, looking back, to leave me out.

"Finny came in and bowled really nicely. Then I picked up that little injury before the final Test match. Personally, the tour didn't go ideally to plan. But we won the Test series and left happy."

Posted by Meety on (February 1, 2013, 12:48 GMT)

@SamuelH on (January 31 2013, 10:02 AM GMT) - I'm probably not the best person to debate about Broad as I think he is highly overrated. I also use to think Finn was overrated as when I saw him live at the Gabba I thought he had the worst delivery style since Max Walker or Paul Adams (frog in a blender). I couldn't fathom why he bowled so far behind the crease at the point of release - a million dead balls later, I get the picture. Finn seems to have modified his run up (still not great), but he counters his ungainliness by having pretty much a perfect release. He seems to be 5 to 10kph faster than when he was in Oz. I watched Broad at the Gabba & was dissappointed when he was taken off, as he was unthreatening. From what I have seen in Tests your best bowlers PACE bowlers are 1. Anderson, 2. Tremlett (fit), 3. Finn, 4. Bresnan (off the boil), no opinion on Meaker & have often said that Woakes needs to be seriously looked at long term, maybe as a batsmen first who can bowl.

Posted by JG2704 on (January 31, 2013, 21:07 GMT)

@Trickstar on (January 30 2013, 19:05 PM GMT) It all depends on which version we get. I love Broad , possibly my favourite Eng player alongside Swann but would I have him in the side right now? No. I'd give him til March (if the county seaon starts early again this year) and see how he goes for Notts. Personally I think our selectors are too loyal at times and it has cost us. IMO , nothing wrong with making a regular player fight his way back into the England set up

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (January 31, 2013, 20:32 GMT)

@Front_foot_minge ease off mate @hammond is hard core England follower like we are. See him deal with Aussie fan then you will know... Only one difference he live in Australia. With name like Hammond he could hardly be anything other than English :-)

Posted by Mitch1066 on (January 31, 2013, 17:36 GMT)

Come on England . And leave off Compton he done well in tricky away tour in India as his first test series . And broad good bowler

Posted by Mitch1066 on (January 31, 2013, 17:32 GMT)

Broad is good player. Indian fans why do you feel keep commenting about England when we moved on from your tour ? Where we did well so. England are good side and will probably fair better in New Zealand which more on par too home conditions so broad will be fine. Finn problem like panesar he carnt bat . Though he can field

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (January 31, 2013, 14:34 GMT)

@Fast_Track_Bully (January 31 2013, 13:57 PM GMT) what on EARTH are you talking about. Are you trying to say that Broad bowling figure do not count because most of his bowling in England? Are you trying to say that the only record that count is record of Broad in India?!?! What conceited garbage. In that case by that logic record of all of India cricketer in all of history is equally flawed because they played most of their cricket in India. You cannot judge Broad on his performance in India in 2012 because he wasn't there. India fan make plenty of excuse about India in England in 2011 - they tried to say that most of the India team was injured (which was nonsense). England do not make excuse about Broad injured and yet still India "fan" thrash him. Why -? because Broad destroy India in England in 2011. That's why they hate him. Don't forget @fat_track_bull - England HAVE BOWLER.... India.... DO NOT.....

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (January 31, 2013, 13:57 GMT)

@A_Vacant_Slip.that's why he is called a 'Fast track bully'. Will be good at bouncy home conditions only! He will get thrashed any other place. And you forgot his inefficiency cause his position in the team! Read this - his 0 for 60 was his second consecutive wicketless Test.- He must be an asset to your team. lol!

Posted by SDHM on (January 31, 2013, 10:02 GMT)

@Meety - even in the one day game I'd say Finn has overtaken him as England's most important strike bowler. I would say the figures are slightly misleading about his Test career though - he picked up a lot of lower order wickets early on, but his injury came right in the middle of his most consistent patch, in which he made players like Tendulkar, Laxman, Sangakkara, Gambhir & Younis look pedestrian. That's what's been most frustrating about watching him since his return from injury - we now know the heights he can hit, and the fact that he had added consistency to undoubted talent only now heightens expectations for him, which he hasn't been able to live up to. I don't think it's right that he walks back into the side - like Bresnan, he should have to go back to the Championship & prove himself - but it's the idea of him rediscovering the form he showed from the India series in 2011 through to the injury he picked up in Sri Lanka that's why he's there.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (January 31, 2013, 7:58 GMT)

@Hammond: I take it you've never heard of Anderson, Tremlett and Finn. Let me introduce them to you... By pointing you in the direction of the 2010/11 Ashes series DVD, which as a cricket follower, you really should catch up on. It happened in your own back yard, after all.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (January 31, 2013, 7:36 GMT)

IF Broad is really fit (a monumental-sized IF), then England needs to decide how he's best utilised. Is he (still) Test class with genuine zip & movement, or is he going to replace Dernbach as the bowler who's asked to do the heavy lifting in ODIs & T20s? Considering his official position as captain of the T20 side (why?) this would suggest to me that he should not now to be considered as a Test bowling all-rounder. But I strongly suspect that Eng expects SB to appear in all formats, just after crashing out of a major tour (albeit arriving unfit!), despite being picked for two (wicketless!) Tests. For a good while Eng management has been blinded by SB's cockiness & his boy-wonder aura. He says he's 'fit & good'. He's said such things before, excelling as he does in self-promotion. It is for Flower & Giles to take charge of SB, not to give him too much to do, because he may just fall short of his & their expectations. This must still be regarded as rehab time. Let's see how he goes, eh?

Posted by Meety on (January 31, 2013, 5:06 GMT)

Broad is probably England's best ODI bowler (in terms of S/Rate), but I really don't rate him highly at all as a Test bowler. The break up of his wickets are very interesting reading. I would be looking beyond Broad pretty soon.

Posted by jevans90 on (January 31, 2013, 3:31 GMT)

@Mitty2 Granted, England have 2 slight concerns in the batting order. As opener, Compton has had a solid first series, in foreign conditions, without doing anything special - a bit like Cowan's year, except with the first-class record to suggest there may be more to come. And at 6, Root and Taylor are talented but unproven, and Morgan and Bopara not quite good enough. But, hey, Khawaja hasn't done that much better. Bairstow may well be the best option, as you say he can't play spin, but that's hardly the issue against Australia these days. But, at least we have a 3/4 combination who both average almost 50 (as opposed to, say, mid 30s), and that's before we even get on to Cook - if Clarke's the best batsman in the world (which he isn't, Amla is, but never mind), Cook's the best opener. So, Cook>Warner, Compton=Cowan (generous to Cowan on FC), Trott>Hughes, Pietersen>Watson, Bell<Clarke, and your dodgy 6 is slightly better than our dodgy 6. And Bell's still better than your entire top 4.

Posted by Hammond on (January 30, 2013, 22:55 GMT)

@Mitty2- mate, do you honestly think that Australia will win in India? Seriously? Let's make a comparison between the two sides. England v Australia openers: England. England v Australia middle order: England. Keeper/Batsman: England. Spinners: England. Fast bowlers: Australia. Captain: about even I would say. So here is the deal. In India where you need a) Strong opening combination and resiliant middle order and b) competitive spinners Australia look hopeless. In England this winter Australia will need openers that can play the swinging ball, and a settled batting line up to deal with calamities. Australia again look hopeless. In the fair dinkum department the only thing Australia can hope for is that their green fast bowling line up (led by the ultimate bog average cricketer Peter Siddle) can blast out superior batting line ups like India and England and just hope that their rag tag batting unit can hold on. Clarke is good, but so is Pujara and KP, can't win with 1 bat champ.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (January 30, 2013, 21:45 GMT)

Broad needs to fight his way back into the team now, as England are bursting with talent. @jonesy2: Welcome back mate, you don't seem to have commented at all on the aussie boards recently, are you now an England fan? You must be looking forward to those back-to-back Ashes series' eh? :)

Posted by Tigg on (January 30, 2013, 21:23 GMT)

Leave Broad out of the test side. Play onions, Anderson and Finn or Woakes.

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (January 30, 2013, 20:56 GMT)

@gsingh7 Oh! MAN! You haven't got a CLUE!!! This is comedy post of year already and it is only January! Yuvraj and rest of India team (except for Dravid) have NO CLUE against fast tall bowler. Yuvraj have special reason to fear Broad due to broken finger. He require ambulance + hospital. He fly quickly away from painful failure experience in England. Do you honestly think Stuart Broad got Man of Series V India in 2011 for NO REASON??? Or are you another one of these people who have conceit to think only result that count is the one in India? Take a break bud. And while you are there, have a think about the accuracy of your prediction in past 2 or 3 month. @Optic. Sweet!

Posted by Optic on (January 30, 2013, 20:19 GMT)

@ gsingh7 What are you waffling on about, do only one day games in India count where you come from because non of the Indian team handled Broad or Bresnan in England, they were shockingly exposed and they again exp[osed at home in Tests. But I suppose you can cling to you're home one day wins mate because that's all you've got to cling to lately. It really is absolutely astounding that a troll like you is on here trying to show off about Indian's results, after been smashed so much & so often lately. Test loses home and away to England, one day series loss in England and you're here giving it large about a 3-2 win against England without 4 of it's first 11 players, well done you, man you're a poor imitation of a troll.

Posted by Buggsy on (January 30, 2013, 20:11 GMT)

He'll be back for one match before breaking down again. Broad should find another career, much his mate Finn.

Posted by hhillbumper on (January 30, 2013, 19:10 GMT)

to the Indian fans.Who would fear Yuvraj.Bounce him and he can't handle it.As a test player he makes Tendulkar look good and he is just poor. In the recent 1 day series tell me what Yuvi did? Yep jack all

As for Broad he needs to bowl in first class cricket first but at least it means less chance of Dernbach and that makes all the English fans happy

Posted by Trickstar on (January 30, 2013, 19:05 GMT)

@JG2704 Well that's the problem with winter tours, there's no County Cricket to show & find form. I do think & hope they will only select him if he's showing form in the warm up games and the one day games, can't see them selecting him half fit again. Lest hope he is fully recovered from his injury because before the problem started to flair up he was bowling as good as I've seen a England bowler bowl, the series against India and then the Pakistan series in the UAE he bowled awesome. Even on flat pitches over there he looked like he was going to get a wicket every ball. I reckon we'll be able to see pretty quickly where he is fitness wise because when fully fit he really bounces in during his run up, there's also just more power in his delivery stride, resulting in more pace in his deliveries, when not 100% he labored to the crease somewhat. His stats from the Indian series till he got injured in SL were 54 wickets @18, those that say we don't need him or he's overrated talk rubbish.

Posted by Optic on (January 30, 2013, 18:45 GMT)

@Mitty2 LOL man if you're going to come on here trying to give it the big one, at the very least don't show you're self up by lying to try to make a point, how utterly embarrassing. Behave as well, what exactly has Cowan done in Test cricket, nothing he averages a pathetic 36 and who cares what he did on A tour. Also both Warner and Hughes look total liabilities against the moving ball and if you think Hughes hitting a few tons in one day and state cricket is the same as doing it in an Ashes you must be deluded, he's never been short of runs at Shield level has he. At the end of the day we all got taste of what you lot were going to do to us a few months ago, I remember some of the lines the Ozzies were coming out with, like Warner was going to smash Swann all over the place and you're fast men were going to terrify our batsmen,what happened oh yes you were hammered and sent home making loads of excuses as usual. Fact is you're batting is weaker than last time & look what happened.

Posted by JG2704 on (January 30, 2013, 18:04 GMT)

I see we have a new trollster among our ranks along with a couple of the usuals.

Re Broad - as said before by myself and others - I'd like to have seen him prove himself at county level. To me this is what I don't like about our selectors is their obsession to play out of form or unfit players when we have players who can come in and do a job. I like the idea of everyone getting the same opportunities and I feel Onions is overdue a run in the side. The one good thing is that if he breaks down , it's better for England if he breaks down in the NZ tour than in the middle of a crucial Ashes test when we'll have only 2 other pace bowlers. I'm a huge Broad fan but I'd rather England perform without him in the side than struggle with him in the side and would rather he came back hungry and rejuvinated and with points to prove than the over cautious version I fear we'll see

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (January 30, 2013, 17:19 GMT)

@gsingh7 (January 30 2013, 13:13 PM GMT) It is laughable how some people remember things from years ago when it suit their purpose - and yet when it come to BIG thing quite recent like Stuart Broad Hat Trick V India in 2011 and Broad Man of the Series V India 2011 - strangley these same people have entirely forgotton it. Remember too that India have no-one, no-one even near approaching ability of Stuart Broad in fast bowler department. @gsingh7 You were one saying "revenge" tour 4-0 India - yeah it was revenge - England got their revenge for what happened in England in 2007. Clearly @gsingh7 you are also another one enjoying grapes just now.

Posted by voma on (January 30, 2013, 16:59 GMT)

@ Mitty2 , you and me both mate . I cant wait for the Ashes to start , you certainly have a lot to say about England and your own team . By the way any bowler who has the stats Stuart Broad has , can hardly be described overrated . Would you say the same about Mitchel Johnson , on there day both of these bowlers can be brilliant . Sometimes they will struggle , thats sport ! . I think Tim Bresnan has a part to play in this England side for a while to come yet .

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (January 30, 2013, 16:41 GMT)

If he's 100% fit and back in good form, then fine - welcome back. But until then, and only until then, I see him behind Anderson, Finn, Onions, Meaker, Woakes and even Bresnan for a seamer slot. In the shorter formats, certainly Dernbach is struggling and Broad can at least nose ahead of him. Picking Broad on promise of a few extra runs off his bat is absolutely stupid; I don't care what his stats/fans say - his priority is bowling and if he can't contribute here then keep him out of the teams.

Posted by class9ryan on (January 30, 2013, 15:05 GMT)

England undoubtedly are gonna be the Ashes winners this year and Stuart plays a vital role in it ( when hes in form ) .... He can bowl it quicker than Bresnan or Anderson and I feel Broad, Anderson and Finn should play in the upcoming NZ series and the Ashes as well forming the pace trio..

Posted by jonesy2 on (January 30, 2013, 14:29 GMT)

great news for NZ and then australia. cant wait

Posted by subbass on (January 30, 2013, 14:25 GMT)

Wasn't Broad one of the leading wkt takers in 2012 ? Anyway most sides would love him but we got him his only issues have been fitness related, not talent related. I bet he is respected by the opposition also and I back him to get back to his best this tour after shaking off the inevitable 'rustiness'.

Posted by bumsonseats on (January 30, 2013, 14:17 GMT)

mitty i will wait till after the indian series before starting to talk about your teams win/loss ratio. if india treat you the same way as england were treated re warm up games and lack of spin practice. i think the series is 4 games. if you come home getting beat 2 - 0 i guess cricket australia will take that. your only saving grace is if the curators take no notice of the indian captain to make them spin friendly.as your spinner will be in serious trouble if they do not. best of luck

Posted by YorkerStump on (January 30, 2013, 14:14 GMT)

@Mitty2

I agree with you that Clarke has done some more than extraordinary things but as of right now, both teams do have a wobbly middle order barring Pup. Bopara, Patel and Morgan are fickle players. Personally, I don't want them anywhere near the test side, they can play in the T20s np and can be looked up to as senior players. Root is our up and coming player and has done remarkably well at six, Vaughn's comment is outrageous but easily forgotten. The NZ tour will put him in check if he shows consistency and scores the big daddy hundreds, regardless if the NZ bowlers are good or not (and they can be exceptionally good if they get their best on at the same time). And if Compton fails there, move Root to his actual position of opener and bring in Woakes/Bairstow. I'd rather see the youngsters come in and groom them to be the best. Everything requires time and development but as of now, England would have the slighter hand against Auz. But we'll just have to wait and see don't we :)

Posted by wibblewibble on (January 30, 2013, 14:00 GMT)

Mitty, taking averages of averages is an affront to statisticians everywhere. Please don't persist with it! Morgan, Patel and Bopara are nowhere near our test team - Patel was a pick solely for India, Morgan and Bopara are both dropped.

Aussie middle order is brittle because of Mr Cricket's retirement. Clarke is notoriously poor against a swinging ball early on, he loves to come feel for it, caught at 2nd slip. Get him in early, get him out early, and the middle order is brittle - look at how many batting collapses Aus has had since the Ashes, you only have collapses like that with a brittle middle order.

Posted by Mitty2 on (January 30, 2013, 14:00 GMT)

Oh, one more thing, with Phil Hughes scoring 3 centuries in a fortnight, Usman khawaja averaging above 40 in ALL formats of the game in the past year and michael Clarke scoring a triple century, 3 double centuries, and a century on a pitch where 96 and 47 were the innings totals, oh and the inevitable capitulation in the bowlers who were ashes victors, it seems that england overrate their ashes chances. And to respond to hammond, Dave Warner and Ed Cowan being statistically stated the best opening partnership of 2012, averaging 41, it seems that the stats behind our 'revolving door opening partnership' most definitely portrays an accurate reflection of the farcical state cricket is in! Or more truthfully, how unfounded your comment is. Or more accurately, the surprisingly huge difference between our top order and yours!

sidenote: just check Ed cowan's stats in the Australia a Tour of England last year, please make sure to remind me how many centuries and half centuries he made.

Posted by landl47 on (January 30, 2013, 13:58 GMT)

I suspect Broad has been carrying an injury for some time now. There seemed to be no reason for his pace to drop the way it did unless he was nursing a niggle. Hopefully, he's fit again, because England needs him as part of their bowling attack. The ECB has finally arranged a series where the T20 nonsense is played first and got over with, then the ODIs to allow some preparation for the tests. If Broad comes through all right, then he should be ready for the tests.

@Jason_McPhee: Tremlett has been injured and has played almost no cricket for the last year and a half. He had a disc problem in his back and those can't be rushed. It would be great to see him back bowling at full pace, but he's nowhere near match fit yet.

Posted by Mitty2 on (January 30, 2013, 13:46 GMT)

And I just can't ignore the fact that we have been the much better performed team over England since the ashes, we've only lost 3 games and 1 series, in which we so easily could have drawn if not better. How many have your lot lost? Id say a lot more, it was also quite appeasing to me to see the contrasts of playing SA in home conditions, we lost by 1 match in a tight series, when we only had 9 players for the future; quiney and ponting both failed and added nothing, and in the first two matches which we could've won, both pattinson and hold blew up at crucial stages. But you, on the other hand, had your best XI, full pace bowling armoury, and you were still handed a 2-0. A drawn series to Sri Lanka, that's right, you lost to Sri Lanka, in which we won and didn't lose a game in both series. A hilarious batting failiure against Pakistan and a 3-0 whitewash, in which I can't compare to us, but another failure nonetheless. And on the Anderson subject, he averages 27.. Complete nightmares.

Posted by sonicattack on (January 30, 2013, 13:44 GMT)

@Trav29 - you have posted a reply to Mitty2 that would have been almost identical to mine, thanks! Thinking of some of the great Australian line-ups in the past, it is sad to see one of their own fans calling their batting 'mediocre', how times have changed!

Posted by Mitty2 on (January 30, 2013, 13:28 GMT)

@Hammond, what's that, 'a brittle as tim foil' middle order? I'm sure michael Clarke, who, without a doubt is the worlds best captain, and without a doubt, the worlds best batsmen. And I'm sure your inability to find an opener since Strauss and number 6 for collingwood is really going well. But I'm sure Morgan, Patel and bopara are really good 'talented propsects' aren't they? They really settled well into the test side didn't they? Lovely averages of 34.5, 40 and 42 respectively and much less for tests. Oh and your most recent finds in Compton who's strike rate was 35 in 4 tests and 1 half century! Shaking in my boots! Oh, and your recent 'captain material' joe root! I'm sure his blossoming average of 39 ensures england's future's in safe hands. Bairstow's your best bet and he's incapable of facing spin, oh and he averaged less than 16 against the WI! oh, and my stats were averaging our every series average since the ashes, hardly 'errenous'. Bird: 16 patto: 22 Harris: 25 siddle: 30

Posted by Jason_Mcphee on (January 30, 2013, 13:14 GMT)

Good to see him back but we need Chris Tremlett as well, he is tall, strong and not that old, don't understand the selection process, we are doing good in ODI's, T20's and tests but at least he can be selected in the later format.

Posted by gsingh7 on (January 30, 2013, 13:13 GMT)

yeah since indian tour is over and man who hit him for 6 sixes is gone so u r fit again?? last i checked he was to become next kapil dev but he turned out next harmison, poor bowling hammered for sixes around park and high average , in indian tours prior to this he played his part in losing all 10 matches out of 10 , so nz will be quitely confident as do australia in facing him

Posted by bumsonseats on (January 30, 2013, 12:47 GMT)

i would play him in the short form games but not for tests he needs to start in CC before the home NZ test he has lost his zip. even if he misses the early season tests to be fit for the ashes series

Posted by JMLowman on (January 30, 2013, 12:32 GMT)

Mitty2: Swann's average since the last ashes series is 30.69. Can't be bothered to check your other made up stats.

Posted by Hammond on (January 30, 2013, 12:20 GMT)

@Mitty2- funny you didn't mention Anderson. You wait and see all those averages will go down after the bowlers come up against the bog average Aussie batsmen. And they have 10 tests to take advantage of a revolving door opening combination, a brittle as tin foil middle order and the longest tail in world cricket. Happy days for the English bowlers!

Posted by trav29 on (January 30, 2013, 12:17 GMT)

@ mitty i am not sure where you got your figures from but given you are australian i'll assume numbers are not a strong point for you. broad averages 27 since the last ashes, anderson, 28, swann 30 and bresnan 34. i would also be more worried about what we did to a stronger australian side during the last ashes than even your erroneous figures since. you did at least get one thing right , the mediocrity of your batting line up.

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (January 30, 2013, 11:57 GMT)

@Fast_Track_Bully on (January 30 2013, 11:15 AM GMT) You have short memory. Stuart Broad put Yuvraj in Hospital with broken finger in 2011. Indian tour is over and no need for Indian and especially Yuvraj to fear Broad now. But remember, Broad is Man of the Series V India in England in 2011. England didn't even need him in India in 2012. Enjoy the grapes....

Posted by jmcilhinney on (January 30, 2013, 11:55 GMT)

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people saying that England would be better off if Broad wasn't coming back but I'm not one of them. He has put in many excellent performances for England and if he can get back to that form then England will be a better side for it. If he doesn't get back to that form though, England will have to look elsewhere. One good thing about this tour is that the T20s and ODIs are before the Tests, so Broad has some time to get himself back into the swing of things before the Tests series. Given that he was dropped during the last series, it would be interesting to see whether he is still selected for the Tests even if he does fire in the limited-overs series. I wouldn't be surprised if he was, just to ensure that he gets a run with the red ball, but if he still doesn't perform then it may be back to domestic cricket for the summer.

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (January 30, 2013, 11:15 GMT)

yeah...he can be 'FIT' now. Indian tour is over and no need to fear Yuvraj now. But remember, NZ thrashed SA in SA. SO no hope for you.

Posted by Mitty2 on (January 30, 2013, 11:13 GMT)

Broad is one of the most overrated players in world cricket. Along with tim bresnan. Bresnan has been averaging a hilarious 74 since the ashes and has been bowling at an innocuous pace. broad has also lost pace which is great for the aussies considering how inneffective he was in the last ashes series, averaging about 40. Along with his bowling average of 35 since the ashes, swann's average of 37, finn's average of 32 and tremmlett's average of 33 all since the last ashes series. Our mediocre batsmen look they will prosper in England haha