Sri Lanka in England, 2013-14 May 13, 2014

Carberry recalled for T20 and ODIs

Michael Carberry has been recalled to England's Twenty20 and ODI squads for the matches against Sri Lanka which begin next week. Tim Bresnan is also back in both squads, having missed the game against Scotland, but Moeen Ali only finds a place in the T20 outfit. The one-day squad has only been named for the first three matches of the series.

Carberry's return is the most notable selection in what are otherwise unremarkable squads with no new faces. In an interview with the Guardian earlier this season, Carberry came out with some hard-hitting remarks about how he had been treated during the limited-overs leg of the Australia tour, coached by Ashley Giles, when he claimed he was not given a clear answer about why he had not been selected.

He was dropped for the West Indies tour and the World T20 but Peter Moores and the selection panel, now including Mick Newell and Angus Fraser, have given him another opportunity. He could open in the T20 alongside Alex Hales - Michael Lumb has been dropped - although Ian Bell, who was called up to the squad in West Indies and went to the World T20, has been retained.

"He aired his views but life moves on, nobody's perfect, certainly we are not and he isn't, nobody is," James Whitaker, the national selector, said. "What will count is his talent. I don't think there was ever an issue."

If Carberry is to fit into the one-day side, it would need to be in the top three. He could either follow Cook and Bell or the selectors could consider splitting the current opening pair with Carberry

Carberry has yet to play a T20 international and has been limited to just five ODIs, which all came last summer against Ireland and Australia where he made 108 runs at 21.60. His return in these squads could indicate that the door is not closed to him continuing his Test career despite Sam Robson being the favourite to open alongside Cook in that format.

Whitaker indicated that ongoing concerns about Alex Hales' technique keeps him out of the one-day format. "He has obviously done well in T20 cricket but you have to balance that with certain techniques required in the longer form of one-day cricket," he said. "It does not discount him in the future and he will undoubtedly push his claim and I hope he does through the year. There is an important nine months to the World Cup.

"Carberry is there now to give us the option of using that style of play at the top. We've got a number of options and Alex will be one in the future."

From England's original World T20 squad, Luke Wright, Stephen Parry, Jade Dernbach along with Lumb are dropped, while Stuart Broad is unavailable and Craig Kieswetter, who was called up as a replacement, has not been included. In Broad's absence, Eoin Morgan will captain the one-off T20.

Moeen is the only player who was in the squad for the Scotland ODI (which became a T20) not included for the first three matches of this one-day series. With Carberry's recall and Gary Ballance in the side there is also a logjam for top-order places, but Moeen's record in West Indies - 109 runs in three innings - was a promising start. One explanation is that Moeen's absence will allow him to play a Championship match and get some more red-ball cricket under his belt before the Test squad is selected, where he is widely tipped to be the main spinner.

Harry Gurney, the Nottinghamshire left-armer who made his debut against Scotland, is included for both formats as is Chris Woakes and Chris Jordan. James Anderson will lead the ODI attack. Ben Stokes remains on the sidelines due to his hand injury and Steven Finn is not yet considered ready for a return to international cricket. Others who may have come close to selection include James Vince, the Hampshire batsman, and Liam Plunkett.

Twenty20 squad Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Ian Bell Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Harry Gurney, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Joe Root, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

ODI squad (first three matches) Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Harry Gurney, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes

Andrew McGlashan is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

• aahahaa on May 14, 2014, 14:17 GMT

Carberry, Treadwell, Gurney, Bopara, Ali, Bresnan, Gurney...and they get paid to pick them.. amazing !!!

• R_U_4_REAL_NICK on May 14, 2014, 10:57 GMT

@jackiethepen (post on May 14, 2014, 9:55 GMT): You've clearly missed my point, and I apologise for that because I think it's the confusing way I wrote that post you're referring to. It's such a delicate balance between grafting & power-hitting; ideally what I look for is pairings where one batsman plays the steady grafter & the other does the big power-hitting/high SR stuff. Do I think the likes of Cook/Bell/Trott etc. are/were talented in short-format cricket? = Yes of course I do! But would/do I feel comfortable two such players (who get lambasted on these threads for slow SR's) coming to the crease with circa 5 overs left and a big target left to chase or even a competitive one to set? = No, I wasn't/I'm not. I'd rather they [England] risk promoting Morgan/Buttler up at that stage & going for the kill with some faster SR's. Can't all be as cool as Dhoni in the IPL...

A player like Thorpe/Trott is crucial at 3 or 4 in ODI's in my opinion. I miss them both, and see no replacements.

• jackiethepen on May 14, 2014, 9:55 GMT

Real Nick must have missed the t20 games in Bangladesh because when the openers did get a slow start/got out early Giles did send in Morgan and Buttler up the order. Unfortunately the two finishers proved to be not adept at building an innings. Ali proved not adept at anything. Hence a big gap at 3 and 4. Lots of attention given to the openers but not where the games fell apart in the World cup.

• neil99 on May 14, 2014, 9:45 GMT

JG2704

But the batsmen fail time and time again to "do their job". There's a distinct lack of "hitters" down the order, which has cost England many, many games. How are they going to wag, with Jordan, Tredwell and Anderson bringing up the rear?

It's a very weak side, which will only be saved by the shortcomings of the opposition bowling.

Moores could've embraced change, but Moores seems even more cautious than Cook. Instead we are left with the same side that capitulated and embarrassed us all, and the signals are not there that England is to alter its "brand of cricket".

Welcome back to the 90s...

• John54321 on May 14, 2014, 9:04 GMT

finally no Dernbach n Luke Wright.......Lumb after his performance in west indies deserved another chance...funnily Moeen Ali was dropped frm ODI's that is where he did a better job compared to t20's he cleared looked one of the more promising batsmen....n i reckon Carberry's Hampshire teammate James Vince shld have been selected over Carberry....

• R_U_4_REAL_NICK on May 14, 2014, 8:21 GMT

Why are people even mentioning the Ashes, when clearly these are the short format squads? The test squad has not been announced yet...

@JG2704 (post on May 14, 2014, 5:06 GMT): Agreed - I'd much rather have bowlers that can bowl and batsmen that can bat, than a long tail full of 'so-called' all-rounders that rarely contribute enough with either. People here seem to forget that games can be won by the team which bowls better, even though cricket is labelled as "a batsman's game".

• kk4540 on May 14, 2014, 8:20 GMT

OH Dear where ia michael lumb luke wright shrilanka beat the hell of this team cook is not a oneday player

• JG2704 on May 14, 2014, 5:06 GMT

@neil99 on (May 13, 2014, 23:58 GMT) I'd prefer to see them play Gurney to Bresnan which would weaken the batting further but hopefully - judging by Bresnan's recentish form would improve the bowling. I'd rather have a group of reliable bowlers than all rounders who are inconsistent with both bat and ball. The long tail shouldn't matter if the batsmen do their jobs esp in shorter formats

• neil99 on May 13, 2014, 23:58 GMT

Soft underbelly? England are going nowhere fast in ODIs with a last 5 of Bopara, Bresnan, Jordan, Tredwell and Anderson. This is a very, very weak lower middle order and tail end.

This is a very poor start. I can see another Ashes pounding ahead already.

• JG2704 on May 13, 2014, 22:09 GMT

@ R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (May 13, 2014, 16:19 GMT) They moved Jos and Eoin up the order vs Scotland. It didn't work out brilliantly but I hope they'll do it more often

@Srikumar Narayan on (May 13, 2014, 12:37 GMT) Despite what some might say if we watched Ravi with both eyes we'd see he does a very useful job with the ball in many games. Quite often he is our most/2nd most economical bowler and often helps dry up the runs in the middle order. keep him batting at 7 where he is the last recognised batsman and therefore doesn't dry up the runs and that's a good selection. As a bowler I prefer him to Bres,Stokes and Woakes

• aahahaa on May 14, 2014, 14:17 GMT

• R_U_4_REAL_NICK on May 14, 2014, 10:57 GMT

• jackiethepen on May 14, 2014, 9:55 GMT

• neil99 on May 14, 2014, 9:45 GMT

JG2704

Welcome back to the 90s...

• John54321 on May 14, 2014, 9:04 GMT

• R_U_4_REAL_NICK on May 14, 2014, 8:21 GMT

• kk4540 on May 14, 2014, 8:20 GMT

• JG2704 on May 14, 2014, 5:06 GMT

• neil99 on May 13, 2014, 23:58 GMT

This is a very poor start. I can see another Ashes pounding ahead already.

• JG2704 on May 13, 2014, 22:09 GMT

• RandyOZ on May 13, 2014, 22:00 GMT

Isnt this the same team that lost 12-1 in Australia? Surely they should mix things up

• bobmartin on May 13, 2014, 20:15 GMT

At long last they've ditched Dernbach....

• CodandChips on May 13, 2014, 16:44 GMT

@Chomolungma I'm sure we'll all miss Carberry at Hants. It's time for one of the youngsters to step up, and for Joe Gatting to score some runs for once. At least Glenn Maxwell will now be able to fit in the T20 side. Though seriously I fear Carberry sharing the drinks duties with Woakes all summer. I can't see how he'll fit in the ODI side with 3 other openers, unless Root plays as a middle-order player or finisher (which I reckon he can).

I hope Carberry plays in the T20I and his successful. I was among the many disappointed Hants members who saw the Aaron Finch hundred at the ageas bowl, and had hoped Carberry would play but he didn't. If England were unwilling to play him then, why would they now? (unless it's a Peter Moores and Eoin Morgan/Alistair Cook thing?).

Agree with the ideas that Vince would be better than Carberry in the squad. Vince seems more adaptable to me.

• R_U_4_REAL_NICK on May 13, 2014, 16:19 GMT

Disappointed Finn-knee "is not yet considered ready for a return to international cricket"; I hope what that really means is "he is not being considered for short-formats & is instead concentrating on test form".

Batting order crucial for both formats. Personally I don't mind steady, relatively slow starts, but what I can never understand with England is why not shunt the likes of Morgan/Buttler up the order if the openers have already set a platform but used up precious overs in doing so? Bowling-wise, the most economical bowlers on the day must be allowed to finish their full quotas of overs - should that be part-timers like Root/Bopara or not. I know it's all very well commentating in hindsight about past games and pointing out who had the lower economies without remembering/checking when/whom they actually bowled to and the state of the game etc. - but I've simply been scarred by the incessant use of expensive bowlers like Dernbach instead of just bowling e.g. Bopara full spell.

• landl47 on May 13, 2014, 16:16 GMT

Carberry's a decent ODI player and a good fielder, but the squad looks a little unbalanced. Presumably 6 bowlers will be needed, including both Bopara and Root. Anderson and Tredwell will be two, with the other 2 coming from Bresnan, Jordan, Gurney and Woakes. That leaves one batsman to be omitted, which presumably will be either Carberry or Ballance.

Cook, Carberry, Bell, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Bopara, Woakes/Bresnan, Jordan/Gurney, Tredwell, Anderson or omit Carberry and insert Ballance at #5. Either way there's no natural #3, so it looks at though Bell or Root will have to do it.

Not a bad squad, though. In the absence of Broad and Stokes there's no-one out there whose form demands a place.

The one player I feel sorry for is Moeen. If he'd been selected for the ODIs and not the T20I it would have been understandable, but surely not the other way round.

• PeerieTrow on May 13, 2014, 15:40 GMT

As an England supporter I applaud this selection but please GET HIM IN THE 11 and send him out there WITHOUT over coached style manacles or a drinks monitor bib. The man knows how to play this game.

As a Hampshire member I shall miss Carbs at the Bowl.

As a Michael Carberry fan I think this is fantastic news.

@EnglishSaint: I much prefer JV for the longer version of the game. That said, I would have liked to see them do a left/right partnership in England colours but Hants can't afford to lose both at this stage.

@CodandChips: There's always been something too fragile about Lumb for my liking. Re Dernbach, Wright and Bresnan; couldn't agree more with your analysis.

• rashivkd on May 13, 2014, 15:26 GMT

Funny really!! Nobody is perfect and they are going to count talent only. KP will laugh at it.

• Nutcutlet on May 13, 2014, 15:26 GMT

Not a lot going on in these squads. All a bit mix n match. I wish players would be formally tagged with the format that each is supposed to be good in. How Moeen can be supposed to slog it out in t20 tripe and yet have the pedigree to be a Test specialist is beyond me. Want to confuse a player new to the international scene? Send him a mixed message! Perhaps it has something to do with being a let's-see-how-he-goes bowling option in the short stuff. Or is it that old one about a camel being a horse designed by a committee?

• Damo_s on May 13, 2014, 14:27 GMT

Hmm, the squads do not exactly set the heart on fire. That said, if every one of our players were able to play their best then the team would be a very formidable outfit. The problem is that most of the above have been very inconsistent, avergaing more towards the rubbish end of the spectrum with the occasional excellent performance. On the other hand SL have a settled squad minus Sanga. My money is on SL this time round.

• CodandChips on May 13, 2014, 14:22 GMT

Reposted my first comment because things to add.

The Hants fan inside me is obviously gutted to miss Carberry. The England fan inside me is disappointed to see a guy who has looked uncomfortable playing international cricket to be back in the side.

As I forgot to say in my previous comment, is there space for another top-order player? In the ODIs I can see him just carrying drinks with Woakes. Also what did Moeen Ali do during the Scotland game to get dropped?

Bell in T20Is is surprising given he doesn't play the game.

Good to see Morgan leading the T20I side even if it is by default.

Perhaps the first choice teams:

ODI- 1.Cook 2.Bell 3.Root 4.Ballance 5.Morgan 6.Buttler 7.Bopara 8.Bresnan 9.Jordan 10.Tredwell 11.Anderson

T20I- 1.Carberry 2.Hales 3.Bell 4.Root 5.Morgan 6.Buttler 7.Bopara 8.Bresnan 9.Jordan 10.Tredwell 11.Gurney

This does not inspire any confidence at all in the "new regime". But no Dernbach or Wright is a start.

• CodandChips on May 13, 2014, 14:20 GMT

No doubt Carberry is a fabulous player in domestic cricket, but does he really warrant a place ahead of Michael Lumb, who played well in the Windies. Good to see Dernbach and Wright dropped from the T20Is. But surely Bresnan did enough to merit being dropped as well?

Woakes' inclusion in both sqauds is a mystery for me.He is not a white-ball cricketer. Also I reckon he'll be this summers' drinks carrier.

Ali playing T20Is is but not ODIs may be telling. Indicative of him not getting a test place, or do they want him to play more championship? I wonder if England will still be reluctant to bowl him, or if that was a Giles/Broad thing.

continued

• aby_97 on May 13, 2014, 14:10 GMT

MOEEN ALI as a spinner is equivalent to Cameron White as a specialist Spin bowler for Australia.Simon Kerrigan or a Monty Panesar would be a better option.I would prefer Kerrigan as he had a good County Season finishing as the third highest wicket taker.

Too many top order batsmen in the ODI Team.Hence, they will push down a good player like JOS BUTLER to N0.7 to accomodate other batsmen.They need a wicket taking fast bowler other than Anderson as even he has lost his earlier Panache.

• -legspin- on May 13, 2014, 14:06 GMT

There is a lot of 'anti Ravi' talk in the comments here. Personally i feel that he is England's best T20 bowler, certainly the most consistently economical. Also, alongside Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan (when going well), he is England's cleanest striker of the cricket ball. Of course he has days that he isn't batting so fluently which gives off the impression of being selfish, but doesnt everyone? On a positive note though, I'm very happy about Dernbach being dropped, he puts more pressure on our batting lineup than the opposition bowlers do!

• delboy on May 13, 2014, 13:59 GMT

Here we go again, Carberry in to assist ticket sales then left to warm the benches.

• brusselslion on May 13, 2014, 13:31 GMT

What's clear from the comments is that no one is particularly inspired by the squads. We can argue about whether X or Y should be in the squad, but the selectors really don't have that much exicting young, international class talent to call upon. Tough times for England at the moment.

• Robster1 on May 13, 2014, 13:22 GMT

Most surprised to see Michael Carberry selected - a player in his mid thirties who has patently struggled against international quality attacks shouldn't be given yet another chance. Consistency of selection is to be applauded but not when a player is unable to perform. Time to go to youth England after the disastrous winter.

• Team_Cook on May 13, 2014, 13:20 GMT

Harsh on Lumb I think. score a century on debut and then two matches later you are dropped and they say there are no more cliques in the England squad.....

• yorkshire-86 on May 13, 2014, 13:07 GMT

I would be very fearful of another whitewash against us if we go into a test with Ali as the main spinner...

• Vikram_Maingi on May 13, 2014, 12:47 GMT

Disappointing to see Alex Hales out of ODI squad

• on May 13, 2014, 12:37 GMT

Ravi Bopara? Why is he in the teams? He must be related to some selector or must be co owner of ECB... Seriously what has he done to be in the team?someone got to answer.. Spade that Anderson is not in the T20 side. See how the swing bowlers are making huge impact in IPL... That's a poor selection. Goid to see Dernbach dropped. Very over rated player. But why is Lumb dropped? Selectors have no idea what impact Lumb can make once he hits some form. He was just one good innings from there. Overall poor selection. SL should win hands down.

• JG2704 on May 13, 2014, 12:30 GMT

Disappointing squads for me.

Find the inclusion of Carberry at the expense of Lumb baffling.As already pointed out Lumb showed some promise in ODIs and has always shown himself to be capable in an England shirt in T20. Carberry looked scared in an England shirt. It must be said that he didn't give his wicket away in the tests but he got nowhere fast and in ODIs he disappointed me. Maybe he will transfer his domestic attitude to the international arena but as has already been said it seems a strange inclusion on all levels. Not sure why Stokes has been called for a return but I see who is doing the calling and it makes sense. Bresnan shouldn't be picked but he'll probably benefit from bowling in English conditions and do well. Also felt Ballance stagnated the RR in Australia and Woakes is not a white ball cricketer at domestic level never mind at international level but I guess they want to give them experience which I don't agree with. Pick suitable players for suitable formats

• CricketChat on May 13, 2014, 12:09 GMT

Carberry must have been in unbelievable form this season that he couldn't be ignored! Seriously, even in the few tests he played, he came across as a dogged accumulator unable to convert starts into big scores to make any impact for his team. Eng top order batting looks really brittle in both the squads with several big names from previous year missing or retired. Will be a true test to team management to get these guys perform well.

• on May 13, 2014, 11:59 GMT

Michael Glumb has quite correctly been omitted. His batting is inadequate even at county level whilst his fielding is dreadful even by club cricket standards. Top effort today he managed double figures.......just.

• Iddo555 on May 13, 2014, 11:58 GMT

@glance to leg.

Bopara has done nothing for England despite playing over 100 games. He's very average with both bat and ball. He's also a very selfish player and thinks about his own stats rather than trying to win the game for England. Not long ago he finished 21 not out after batting the last 10 overs. He didn't even score one boundary and England lost. Talk about playing for your average. he didn't even seem interest in trying to win as long as he finished not out, talk about playing for your average. The sooner he gets kicked out of the team the better

• glance_to_leg on May 13, 2014, 11:39 GMT

Salazar555 asks why Bopara keeps being picked ahead of Woakes. Maybe because he is a vastly better batsman, and, perhaps surprisingly, a rather more effective bowler in short format cricket. I know which one I'd rather have in my team.

• on May 13, 2014, 11:31 GMT

Staggeringly innocuous attacks. Not even sure that Bresnan is worth a place.

• Iddo555 on May 13, 2014, 11:28 GMT

Robson, Vince, Plunkett, Finn, Stokes??

I don't think Bopara and Bresnan will add anything going forward and if you're going to play Carberry then why not play Lumb? Neither are young and if anything Lumb is a better player

• Iddo555 on May 13, 2014, 11:22 GMT

I would have gone for Plunkett instead of Bresnan and Lumb instead of Carberry. I do like Bresnan but I don't think he's bowled at the same speed since coming back from the injury

• CodandChips on May 13, 2014, 11:20 GMT

Carberry's recall is surprising for me given he's never looked comfortable in an England shirt, and he spoke of his discontent publically. Compton, Pietersen, Patel and Mascarenhans who have all lost places due to doing the same may all feel disgruntled. Perhaps this gives test place hopes to Tremlett and Carberry. No doubt Carberry is a fabulous player in domestic cricket, but does he really warrant a place ahead of Michael Lumb, who played well in the Windies.

Ian Bell in T20Is is surprising.

• on May 13, 2014, 11:17 GMT

Why Lumb has been dropped, after scoring a ton on ODI debut and scoring runs throughout the T20 world cup, I do not know. If age is the problem why pick Carberry?

• jmcilhinney on May 13, 2014, 11:13 GMT

@Rajat Patnaik on (May 13, 2014, 10:52 GMT), I think that the selectors are probably quite rightly giving Finn a chance to get some consistency over a longer period in domestic cricket before putting him under the pressure of international cricket. If Finn can get back to where he was and then keep improving from there then that will stand England in good stead. He needs more time to rebuild his confidence in order for that to happen. I'm sure that he's keen to get back into international action and prove that he can do it but I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if he sat out this whole summer. If can perform consistently well for Middlesex then a recall for the winter would be in order.

• Iddo555 on May 13, 2014, 11:11 GMT

England are going backwards, They left out Lumb for Carberry? That makes no sense, I could understand if they wanted to bring some youth in but Carberry is pretty much the same age as Lumb.

Where are Vince and Robson and why does Bopara keep getting picked ahead of Woakes?

• on May 13, 2014, 11:09 GMT

I'm still amazed that the squad has been picked without any one-day cricket being played yet this season. What has Bresnan really done to warrant a recall? And why drop Moeen from the fifty over side, and leave him in the T20s? Strange decisions, but I look forward to the forthcoming Test squad announcement.

• BRUTALANALYST on May 13, 2014, 11:08 GMT

It's ridiculous Carberry has never played a T20 International given his consistent destruction in the FP T20 especially given England's lack of batting power and poor returns in the format.

• on May 13, 2014, 11:06 GMT

Has Ben Stokes not fully recovered?

• neil99 on May 13, 2014, 11:05 GMT

Oh dear. We really are going backwards rapidly Moore's at the helm. This was the ideal opportunity to be rid of the under performing deadwood like WoakesBresnan, Bopara, and inject so fresh, new faces. Instead Moores looks to the past.

• on May 13, 2014, 11:00 GMT

Alex Hales should play T20 and ODI for England. I know he is not picked in ODI, coz Cook should be dropped. let us not loose a very good player due to politics. Gary Ballance, good to see him in ODI and Should play every Test this summer.

• on May 13, 2014, 10:57 GMT

Bresnan needs a break. He plays all the format for England and could not deliver grt results last summer. he can come back for the tests.

• on May 13, 2014, 10:52 GMT

y finn hasn't given a chance..

• EnglishSaint on May 13, 2014, 10:51 GMT

Wrong Hampshire player - James Vince is your man but good luck Carbs.

• Yevghenny on May 13, 2014, 10:46 GMT

makes so little sense why he would have been excluded from the world cup. But that's the selectors for you, they are at 6's and 7's right now

• No featured comments at the moment.

• Yevghenny on May 13, 2014, 10:46 GMT

• EnglishSaint on May 13, 2014, 10:51 GMT

Wrong Hampshire player - James Vince is your man but good luck Carbs.

• on May 13, 2014, 10:52 GMT

y finn hasn't given a chance..

• on May 13, 2014, 10:57 GMT

• on May 13, 2014, 11:00 GMT

• neil99 on May 13, 2014, 11:05 GMT

• on May 13, 2014, 11:06 GMT

Has Ben Stokes not fully recovered?

• BRUTALANALYST on May 13, 2014, 11:08 GMT