England news May 22, 2014

ECB refer Carberry article to Press Complaints Commission

  shares 4

The ECB have referred The Guardian to the Press Complaints Commission following an interview with Michael Carberry in which he claimed he had been the victim of unfair treatment by England management.

While the ECB do not dispute the words spoken by Carberry in the article, published on March 31, were genuine, they were unhappy with the general tone of the piece and felt more should have been done to reflect their side of the story.

Specifically, they were unhappy with the suggestion that, while the other players in the Ashes tour party were allowed to fly their families to Australia for Christmas, "only Carberry's request that his mother be his invited guest was denied" and the insinuation that Carberry might have struggled for selection throughout his career "for some reason".

The ECB insist that the terms of the flights provided for the partners of touring players is clear and that Carberry was not the victim of inequitable treatment. They are also concerned that Carberry's comment that "throughout my England career, even as a schoolboy, I've always had that shorter rope for some reason," might be interpreted as a suggestion that he was the victim of racial discrimination.

The ECB had earlier threatened to take legal action after an article in the Nightwatchman magazine suggested that Carberry's struggle to gain England selection might have been due to racial discrimination. The magazine deleted the article from all on-line platforms and printed an apology and retraction in the next issue. They also made a donation to Chance to Shine.

It is understood the ECB made several attempts to persuade The Guardian to print a similar retraction, but although the newspaper offered to print an explanation, the wording could not be agreed.

The Press Complaints Commission is an independent body which administers the system of self-regulation for the press.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • POSTED BY on | May 24, 2014, 21:57 GMT

    Seriously Carberry's recent first class record has been poor. He should have been nowhere the England test team. As I said 1 2nd division century in 2 seasons. Compton, Nash, Chopra, Lyth etc have much better recent County records. In terms of middle order players Taylor has been a far better player too.

  • POSTED BY R_U_4_REAL_NICK on | May 24, 2014, 11:29 GMT

    I agree John Duffield - he's a very lucky man to have been given the opportunities at all. Compton should have been first choice opener way ahead of the likes of Carberry, but alas even now it seems that ship has sailed. Michael Carberry needs to be careful what he does and says from now on, and some runs on the board wouldn't go amiss either.

  • POSTED BY EashwarSai on | May 24, 2014, 11:27 GMT

    Carberry was the second highest run scorer for England in the ashes and definitely deserved to be in the team. In terms of time spent in the crease, should be top among England batsmen, very good considering he was the opener. Yet, England fans and apparently the ECB too,seem to blame him and KP, when others scored even less runs and dropped as many catches. Good on the graun for reporting this.

  • POSTED BY on | May 24, 2014, 9:58 GMT

    I am not sure why there is all this fuss about Carberry. He just isn't very good. He got picked for the Test side after scoring only one 2nd division hundred and he clearly can't catch either. A decent enough county pro but well short of international standard. Carberry was very,very lucky to go on the Ashes tour in the first place so he can hardly complain about being dropped.

  • POSTED BY on | May 24, 2014, 21:57 GMT

    Seriously Carberry's recent first class record has been poor. He should have been nowhere the England test team. As I said 1 2nd division century in 2 seasons. Compton, Nash, Chopra, Lyth etc have much better recent County records. In terms of middle order players Taylor has been a far better player too.

  • POSTED BY R_U_4_REAL_NICK on | May 24, 2014, 11:29 GMT

    I agree John Duffield - he's a very lucky man to have been given the opportunities at all. Compton should have been first choice opener way ahead of the likes of Carberry, but alas even now it seems that ship has sailed. Michael Carberry needs to be careful what he does and says from now on, and some runs on the board wouldn't go amiss either.

  • POSTED BY EashwarSai on | May 24, 2014, 11:27 GMT

    Carberry was the second highest run scorer for England in the ashes and definitely deserved to be in the team. In terms of time spent in the crease, should be top among England batsmen, very good considering he was the opener. Yet, England fans and apparently the ECB too,seem to blame him and KP, when others scored even less runs and dropped as many catches. Good on the graun for reporting this.

  • POSTED BY on | May 24, 2014, 9:58 GMT

    I am not sure why there is all this fuss about Carberry. He just isn't very good. He got picked for the Test side after scoring only one 2nd division hundred and he clearly can't catch either. A decent enough county pro but well short of international standard. Carberry was very,very lucky to go on the Ashes tour in the first place so he can hardly complain about being dropped.

  • No featured comments at the moment.

  • POSTED BY on | May 24, 2014, 9:58 GMT

    I am not sure why there is all this fuss about Carberry. He just isn't very good. He got picked for the Test side after scoring only one 2nd division hundred and he clearly can't catch either. A decent enough county pro but well short of international standard. Carberry was very,very lucky to go on the Ashes tour in the first place so he can hardly complain about being dropped.

  • POSTED BY EashwarSai on | May 24, 2014, 11:27 GMT

    Carberry was the second highest run scorer for England in the ashes and definitely deserved to be in the team. In terms of time spent in the crease, should be top among England batsmen, very good considering he was the opener. Yet, England fans and apparently the ECB too,seem to blame him and KP, when others scored even less runs and dropped as many catches. Good on the graun for reporting this.

  • POSTED BY R_U_4_REAL_NICK on | May 24, 2014, 11:29 GMT

    I agree John Duffield - he's a very lucky man to have been given the opportunities at all. Compton should have been first choice opener way ahead of the likes of Carberry, but alas even now it seems that ship has sailed. Michael Carberry needs to be careful what he does and says from now on, and some runs on the board wouldn't go amiss either.

  • POSTED BY on | May 24, 2014, 21:57 GMT

    Seriously Carberry's recent first class record has been poor. He should have been nowhere the England test team. As I said 1 2nd division century in 2 seasons. Compton, Nash, Chopra, Lyth etc have much better recent County records. In terms of middle order players Taylor has been a far better player too.