Sri Lanka in England 2014 June 2, 2014

Will assess Test future one tour at a time - Jayawardene

Sri Lanka batsman Mahela Jayawardene has said he will assess his Test future on a series by series basis and will continue as long as he is satisfied with the way he is contributing to the team. Jayawardene, 37, is currently on tour in England and he said this will probably be his last Test tour to the country.

"I am taking it one tour at a time and assessing myself. Personally, I don't think I need to prove anything to anyone so it's about me challenging myself and seeing whether I can keep improving and most importantly, contribute to the team," Jayawardene said. "Once you get to this stage in your career it's important that you leave at the right time, in the sense not too early and not too late. When it would be the right time, I don't know but I will make sure I keep an eye on things and see how my body feels and how I enjoy playing cricket.

"The series against Pakistan (in the UAE) I had a good outing away from home and batted really well and we managed to win a Test match. If I can make that kind of impact and contribute I may continue a bit longer."

Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara, Sri Lanka's most experienced players and team-mates for 14 years both retired from T20s after the recent World T20 in Bangladesh. Jayawardene was non-committal about his ODI future as well, but said the 2015 World Cup will be his last major limited-overs tournament.

"T20s, I knew that there was no point in me and Kumar continuing. We can't play another World T20, we are too old for that. So we made the call at the right time. If we can make those calls at the appropriate time, that will be great but I honestly don't know when that's going to be.

"Realistically the 2015 World Cup will be my last in 50-over cricket. I've spoken to the selectors about it. I've been blessed to play so many years for the country and in so many World Cups. If I am fit and performing well I'll be in the 2015 World Cup squad. There are no certainties that I will be there, it will depend on my performances."

The current England tour is Jayawardene's fifth, having first toured as a 21-year-old under Arjuna Ranatunga's captaincy in 1998 and been part of the Sri Lanka team that won a Test match on English soil for the first time.

"It will probably be the last time I am touring England but it will be like any other tour I've been on, wanting to prove myself. I haven't put any pressure on myself. I haven't really thought it like that (going off on a high note) because that would probably put more pressure on me."

Following Sri Lanka's successful season, having won the Asia Cup and the World T20, Jayawardene said the focus is on improving the team's away record and seniors like himself would have to lead the way.

"Away from home I always try to challenge myself. That's where we as a team need to improve. That is where experienced players need to pull something out of the bag. I've said that on this tour, we need to do something special and we've spoken to the boys about it. If we can really push ourselves and get something done, that will be great," he said.

"We have won ODI series in England so winning a Test series will be great. It's a two-match series so I don't know how much we can achieve from that. We have won Test matches in England but not won a series. So rather than talk about the series, we will try and see whether we can win a Test match here again, which will be great. To do that, we need to play better cricket from the start, especially the batting side of it. It's early part of the summer and we would like everyone to get used to the conditions."

Jayawardene said playing in England is unique, in that the conditions aren't necessarily uniform across the country.

"In Australia and South Africa you probably get similar conditions, but England presents you with a unique sort of challenge. The weather is one thing but at the same time you need to adapt to the different surfaces from county to county. You saw how we played in the cooler conditions in Durham and Manchester. It's tough but that's what cricket is all about."

Jayawardene and Sangakkara have different styles in terms of batting. While Jayawardene is a player by instinct and makes batting look easy, Sangakkara is an accumulator. And Jayawardene realises that they need to maintain their individual identities.

"Kumar has a more methodical way of looking at things. He is more technical in what he does and that works for him. I have played in a much different way from my school days and I haven't changed that attitude. I work hard at my game, the areas which I need to work on but I manage to keep my natural instincts going for me all the time. That's why I've achieved so many things over the years. I don't want to go away from that.

"It's always an identity that individual players should have. Whatever feels comfortable for you, you just go out and try to give the best out there. That's how I grew up and that's probably the difference. Kumar started off in a different way and he realised he needed to change his game towards international cricket. He's worked really hard at it and he's done really well."

• on June 8, 2014, 11:03 GMT

Your latest point is when Mahela joined the team Mahela was not a significant charactor to the team as Arjuna,Aravinda, Sanath and Kalu were playing to the team. But if you check you will see Mahela has started his careeer in 1998 and Arjuna and Mahanama had finished their career in 1999. So Mahela could suddenly get a significant place in the team..Mahela opened few innings as an operner and he could score runs at better average but he couldnt turn those runs to the victories. But when we analyzed Sanath's career, he played his first ODI in 1989 where Arjuna, Aravinda, Mahanama, Gurusinghe,and Hashan were plying important role in the team. So Sanath was not a significat character when he joined the team and he had to bat at around number Six and Seven down the list till 1994.So During first 6 years of his career his average was bellow 17 as he was not given a significant place in the team. His first six years' Average has influenced to limit his career average to 33.

• Logic2014 on June 8, 2014, 4:31 GMT

Romesh, As I said earlier the game is such that the u have to see the stats in the right context. When Mahela started in 1997 for several years he was pretty much an insignificant youngster in a world cup winning team (Sanath, Kalu, Arjuna, Aravinda, Vaas, Murali etc. were there to win awards) If you look at Arjuna & Aravinda u cants say the same - an upcoming side with two star players they were bound to win awards (not undermining their achievement in anyway, if not for them and all the other past SL cricketers we won't be chatting about Sanath or Mahela today ). Virat is a class act and in my opinion is unmatched at this stage (only time will tell if he'll be consistent) If you look at hs stats (avg.52!) you'll see that's way better than even Sanga! If he is consistent and plays the same nbr of matches as Sana he will surely have more awards. If he opens the innings (hopefully not for our sake) and if he's good at it thn we'll hav a hard time countng the nmbr of awrds this guy gets!

• Logic2014 on June 7, 2014, 14:40 GMT

Hi Romesh, Interesting stats borrowed from Andrews latest article (link below). Mahela surprisingly averages 44.76 when opening the innings and has a strike rate of 90! A better avg. than Sanath/Sanga and a strike rate similar to Sanath?? Even with the stats I will still stick with my logoic that stats cannot easily be compared as there are so many variables involved… Why? 'cause cricket is a sport its not a science experiment.. cheers http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-sri-lanka-2014/content/story/750283.html

• on June 5, 2014, 4:54 GMT

@Logic2014, If you think number 4 batsman doesn't have enough opportunity to score or perform like number one and two batsman how Aravinda has WON 30 player of the match awards while Mahela has just 19.How Arjuna has WON 24 Awards batting at number 5 and SIX. That's why Mahela is said HIGHLY OVERATED batsman than his actual stats.

Another example, Virath Koli plays at same position for India. Playing just 134 odi matches he has 19 ODI centuries while Mahela playing 417 matches has scored only 16. Why this much of BIG difference?Koli has 18 player of the match awards just 134 matches, Mahela has 19 awards from 417 matches..so Mahela is highly overrated batsman than his actual performance..

• Logic2014 on June 5, 2014, 2:20 GMT

Interesting stats! Personally I feel that you can't compare stats of an opening batsman who has the opportunity to face 50 overs (with minimum pressure)to a person who's batting at number 4 or 5. Imagine a scenario where either Sanath or Sanga gets 50 /100 runs, would you still expect Mahela to be the man of the match at the end of the day! or get another 100 runs with less than 20 overs to go in the innings.

As far as I know his main role in the team is to rebuild the innings and keep the scoreboard ticking during the middle overs when the spinners come in. If I remember right most of his man of the match awards came when SL batting order collapsed like a stack of cards and not when he whacked every other ball for a four or a six during the first 15 overs (when the field was up!). In my opinion as long as he's able to do his role right then he should be in the side if not he should be out.

• on June 4, 2014, 16:15 GMT

very interesting stat from romesh above.mahela might have to look at that.

• on June 3, 2014, 11:50 GMT

Mahela is one of the greatest cricketers in the world at the moment. he has great knowledge about cricket. I think mahel's odi from wasn't good at this moment. so mahela should think abt his odi career. He should play test cricket another 2 or 3 years. Because our test record became much poor after the retirement of murali. Bass and malinga . Now our wining power is batting. my thought is he should retired from ODi and ply test cricket as long as he can.

• on June 3, 2014, 10:25 GMT

Different people has introduced different players as greatest ODI cricketer in Sri Lankan cricket history. Bellow statics will justify being the greatest ODI cricketer.

first consider Man of the Match Awards,

sanath has 48 Awards,Aravinda 30 , Sanga 26, Ranatunga 24 ,Dilshan 19, Mahela 19

Player of the series awards, Sanath 11, Dilshan 5 ,Sangakkara 5,Mahela 4

Centuries, Sanath 28, Sanga 19,Dilshan 17,Mahela 16, According to the stats Sanath is the greatest ODI cricketer, Mahela is highly OVERATED than his actual records, Sanga deserve for Second and Aravinda/Dilshan are at 3rd place, Mahela can be ranked after Arjuna for 5th place.

World records still hold by Sanath, Fastest 50, Fastest 150, one and only TWO consecutive 150s ever in ODI cricket history, Sanath held records, Fastest 100, Most runs in an over, Most sixes in an inning, second most Centuries in the world after Tendulkar and second in the world for Most player of the match awards.

• Logic2014 on June 3, 2014, 8:28 GMT

His recent form has been patchy in ODIs but I agree with him when he says he doesn't have to prove anything! In my opinion Mahela is one of the most gifted batsman that SL has ever produced and probably the most underappreciated of the lot. A man who has over 11,000+ test runs (most runs by a Lankan), 11000+ ODI runs (second highest), 1400+ T20 runs (most runs by a Lankan - has better average & a strike rate than both Sanga & Sanath!) + with 374 as the highest score in a test (highest by a Lankan)and a century in WC Final he doesn't have to prove anything. Neither Sanath nor Sanga has achieved this - that doesn't mean these guys aren't great but it simply means cricket is not a game of numbers. It's about the impact that you make in the field and in the dressing room and overall how you contribute to the betterment of SL cricket. I'm pretty sure a man who handed over the captaincy to Sanga/ Mathews & quit T20 when no one was forcing him to do so will know when to quit than us :)

• on June 3, 2014, 8:26 GMT

Pakistani Team For World Cup 2015

1 A.Shehzad 2 Sami Aslam 3 Umar Akmal(w/k) 4 Fawad Alam 5 Shoaib Malik/Mohammad Hafeez(v/c) 6 Hammad Azam 7 Shahid Afridi(c) 8 Wahab Riaz 9 Saeed Ajmal 10 Taj Wali/Mohammad Talha/Mir Hamza 11 Junaid Khan

• on June 8, 2014, 11:03 GMT

• Logic2014 on June 8, 2014, 4:31 GMT

• Logic2014 on June 7, 2014, 14:40 GMT

• on June 5, 2014, 4:54 GMT

• Logic2014 on June 5, 2014, 2:20 GMT

• on June 4, 2014, 16:15 GMT

very interesting stat from romesh above.mahela might have to look at that.

• on June 3, 2014, 11:50 GMT

• on June 3, 2014, 10:25 GMT

first consider Man of the Match Awards,

Player of the series awards, Sanath 11, Dilshan 5 ,Sangakkara 5,Mahela 4

• Logic2014 on June 3, 2014, 8:28 GMT

• on June 3, 2014, 8:26 GMT

Pakistani Team For World Cup 2015

• yohandf1984 on June 3, 2014, 6:04 GMT

There may be lots of arguments on Mahela ,whether he is world class or not . But as Sri Lankan we admire him as one of big thing ( Alongwith Sanga & Mainga) in 21 st century SL cricket . Out of form Mahela is still feared by opposition than inform young batsmen . What he has done in batting , captaining and trend setting for SL team is invaluable . He still good enough to be in 2015 WC and can retire gracefully from ODI . He can play couple more years in test .

• on June 3, 2014, 5:04 GMT

I have heard few people are saying Sanath Jayasuriya has been inconsistant during his last part of career and shoud have resigned about few matches earlier.

Shall we compare Sanath vs Mahela for their last 35 ODI innings

Mahela's innings;0,12,65,3,43*,5,24,5,1,4*,34,4,42,84*,38,52,107,7,11,22,42,17,24,12,1,46,13,9,14,0,75,35,2,12,7 TOTAL= 872 Average=27.25 Centuries =1 fifties=3

Sanath's innings;23,72,8,130,43,125,10,13,13,60,1,22,54,0,38,19,45,107,17,0,27,37,15,30,6,7,98,36,10,0,24,5,15,31,2, TOTAL=1143 Average=32.65 Centuries =3 fifties=4

So Sanath's performance hasn't been reduced and actually he should have played at least for another one year but Mahela's statics are very clear and he should have resigned at least before this tour.

• Cricket_theBestGame on June 3, 2014, 0:54 GMT

when mahela first visited australia in the late 90s (i forget if it was 98 or 97), i thought, here is a guy who will captain SL one day. and he did!

but now its time for him to leave the stage gracefully. he has done well and age has caught up with him. he is taking up space for another young player. he should go or at least draw a timeline of his exit. taking series by series only means that he is waiting for a failure and a tap on the shoulder from the selectors and until that happens he won't retire!

funny how all mid to late 30s player around the world are targeting w/c 2015 as their last hoorah. countries with such players should really say good bye to any chance of winning as i think the young team will win in aus and that is aus/nz !

• on June 2, 2014, 22:36 GMT

No point of bringing up Sanga in ur comments! There no comparing between u and Sanga. And you don't hav to change ur pattern because of him.. We love whoever performing and taking Lanka to that level.. We praised both Sanga and u been a match winning pair.. Like Aravinda and Arjuna.. But that doesn't mean u have to stay in the team until Sanga retires... We have no doubt about how Sanga performs or u... But we need match winning innings.. Adapting to the situations.. Not just traditional or typical innings. Not eating up two overs from power play... Modern cricket!

• CricketChat on June 2, 2014, 21:22 GMT

The time is right for Mahela to call quits while fans will ask why rather than why not. His form has dipped considerably over the past 2 yrs or more to the extent that no IPL team wanted to bid for him. Up until now he always got bought in the first round of auction since IPL started. He is still quite capable of an occasional innings of brilliance like any great player is, but there is no denying his consistency is gone. Hope he quits on high after this Eng tour.

• slazenger on June 2, 2014, 18:19 GMT

What makes Mahela a great cricketer is he excel both as captain and a batsman. Not lot of cricketers around the world able to retain the captaincy and to be a great batsman as well. Mahela does it for so many years and that's a great achievement. The only thing I see with Mahela is his inconsistency with batting. Even when he is in great form he gets out after reaching thirties where as everybody know the difficult part is to reach twenties and thirties in an inning.

• aarifboy on June 2, 2014, 17:52 GMT

Mahela and Dilshan must open in ODIs for SL.

• on June 2, 2014, 16:07 GMT

My XI for the final ODI: Dilshan, Perera, Vithanage, Sangakkara, Mathews, Priyanjan, De Silva, Kulasekera, Senanayake, Herath, Malinga.

No doubt Mahela is a big match player but 4 failures is too much. It would have been better to have dropped him from the first 4 matches and played Vithanage and/or De Silva in his place, then brought him back for the decider only if those guys failed.

If Mahela plays, fails again and we lose then it would only make him look selfish. If Chandimal, as captain, could drop himself from the T20 team in a world cup why can't Mahela do the same for this one relatively minor match?

• Sageleaf on June 2, 2014, 15:16 GMT

Mahela is a World class batsman. People here are so silly talking about he is only good in flat pitches...but so called other players in the world are only good in fast pitches too.I think it does not matter whether its a flat or a fast pitch, Mahela can do wonders in any pitch. If you cannot score in your own home soil then there is an issue. So we have so many unique players excel playing well at home. When i think of match winners for Sri Lanka, I could only think of Sanath Jayasuriya and Mahela Jayawardena. As he said here he does not have to prove anyone anything. Mahela can win a match for Sri Lanka single handedly and he has done it many times. Never challenge the heart of a true champion!

• on June 2, 2014, 14:44 GMT

Give Mahela the benefit of the doubt, although I agree that he has had issues with being consistent out of Sri Lanka. Yet, he seems to rise to the occasion and score well on big matches. Tomorrow is the deciding match between England and Sri Lanka and I have a strong feeling that he will pull up his socks and do well. Also, lets not forget that he has possibly the highest number of catches taken in international cricket. He is a sensible man, and he will know when to quit one day and test matches. Remember, he has class and experience under his belt. Also, the chemistry of the team is vital. Dropping him at this point is going to mess things up within the team.

• on June 2, 2014, 13:35 GMT

Mahela Jayawardene is a elegant batsman, His technique is very solid hats of Mahela Jayawardane, Kumara Sangakkara, Muttaiah Muralidaran, Jayasuriya & Aravinda D Silva all are dimonds of Srilankan Cricket & ICC List

• Mutukisna on June 2, 2014, 12:55 GMT

We are talking about one of the five best batsmen produced by the country, the others being the late Sathasivam (I have not seen him bat, but the elders called him a genius),Anura Tennekoon, Aravinda de Silva and Kumar Sangakkara. We should disregard the input of non-Sri Lankans like Prabahar Trichy when it comes to the merits and demerits of our beloved Mahela. He is class personified. a brilliant batsman, a world class slip fielder, even recently at the age of 37,we witnessed his bullet-like thows from the boundary and finally, one of the most astute captains in World Cricket who was called upon to help Malinga at the final stages of the World T20 when he was directing operations on the field. What more need be said. I rest my case. Long may his career continue.

• rajcan on June 2, 2014, 12:40 GMT

Mahela is one of few batsman who have been over rated for his talent. Most of his success are on a flat sub-continent or similar tracks example UAE. Upul Tharanga is far better batsman than Mahela in a foreign soil.

He has not done well in seaming pitches, his last tour to England was not productive at all, even in this series. Four one day matches has gone, his contribution is almost none.

He is a batsman, not an all rounder. When he is not performing well with bat, regardless how senior he is, he needs to be dropped. In SL, it seems Mahela has free run, he can talk anything and get away with it. Just before T20 world cup, he talked about his T20 future plan, all talk was around that message. Now again, Test series hasn't started yet, he talks about his test plans, distraction to players, he wants to be a centre piece.

Proven batsman who have scored more centuries in fewer matches, including one in Lords and who was instrumental in 5-0 win in UK, warming up bench, Upul.

• on June 2, 2014, 12:25 GMT

Mahela need to retire and give chandimal to bat at no 4. wasting cjandomal is a real sin. he is one of the best product in domestic arena. when he plays - those are crispy , evidence of skill married with insanity reckless stroke.

• on June 2, 2014, 11:53 GMT

Amazed at the post that suggests Jayawardene is inferior to Ranatunga! This guy us a class act, comparable to Gower or Senior Waugh in there day. Haven't seen much of him, but I have seen him in Oz, as well as Jaya, Ranatunga and Aravinda. Jayasuriya and Aravinda probably more effective in Oz, but if I was going to pay to watch someone bat, I would pick Mahela every time. Ranatunga should not even rate a mention in this company.

• on June 2, 2014, 11:31 GMT

If you consider a player great by scoring big around the world, then Brian Lara is the greatest. He is the only batsman to score Test double centuries in 5 ( Five ) different countries. That is, counting the Caribbean as one country!

• on June 2, 2014, 11:24 GMT

We, Sri Lankans very grateful and indebted to Mahela for the part played in SL cricketing success over the the last few decades.He does not have to prove anything to anybody anymore.He has done it over and again by winning many national and interntional accolades. But we must accept the eternal truth that nothing lasts for ever. We have seen all the great cricketers at their peaks and their natural decline. I am sure Mahela, with the great personality in him, would decide himself where he is at present. Personally I feel, that if at all he plays in any further ODIs, he should open. It is the place where he would challenge himself and come good, as he has done many a time. If he fails, it would come quick and SL would not suffer much, by way of wasting many precious balls. I too feel that Mahela should not play in the fifth ODI as it is most importhat SL throws the best punch at England, where, I am afraid Mahela, in his present form has no place. Replace him with Kithruwan.

• ssduk on June 2, 2014, 11:19 GMT

@Prabahar_Trichy, Could you please check his ODI records in England and WI.....He is the 2nd Highest scorer in 2007 WC in WI, the highest scorer in 2010 T20 W20 in WI, highest scorer in last VB series in Australia, Highest scorer in last ODI's in England 2011....Those are not flat wickets....!!!

• FawltyBean on June 2, 2014, 11:15 GMT

Mahela talking like he spot in the WC 2015 is a given. No way he's going anywhere near Australia with the team if he's out of form, like he is now. For tomorrow's game I hope SL drop him.

• Marcel_Ci on June 2, 2014, 11:08 GMT

rest mahela is nowhere quality of jayasurya or desilva or ranatunga. mahela only plays in SL pitches. stats show tht. more than half of his international runs came in SL only. by no means he is a world class player. rest up to you.

• rizwan1981 on June 2, 2014, 10:48 GMT

Philip_0132

Are you still banging on about the 2011 world cup toss ? For the record , Sangakkara did nothing wrong or are you casting aspersions on the match referee too ?

Sanga is the better test batsman and Mahela is a superior ODI player - Only Mahela has scored a century in a world cup semi final and final and has always been a big match player .

• on June 2, 2014, 10:47 GMT

agree with kasun.

• Prabahar_Trichy on June 2, 2014, 10:38 GMT

Yes, Mahela is a Lion (no doubt) only in his own den. He can be considered as Legend only in Srilanka.

• KosalaDeSilva on June 2, 2014, 10:30 GMT

I think Mahela should opening the batting with Dilshan.But during the England tour it's not easy to get use to this condition, cold weather is not making it easy for batting when you can't feel your fingers.Specially for a touch batsman like him. I think Mahela will be fine and it's something we don't have to worry too much. He bring so much in to team even during the fielding .( Can anyone remember T20 match how clever he used his experiece ,ideas)

• chashi0714 on June 2, 2014, 10:15 GMT

MJ is my favourite cricketer... going to miss you. Still i can remember your first odi hundred agains England we chase down over 300 runs also when your scoring 374 i was in ssc & also your first double century against india that time also i was there that time i was 16 yeasr old. acctualy i told this thing to expalin how much i like you. so i feel 20/20 retaiment came on better time hope you will play odi until 2015 . all the best master class maiya..

• pandian_ikku on June 2, 2014, 9:50 GMT

I honestly think Mahela should not play the final ODI match against England. Kithuruwan should replace him.

• Marcel_Ci on June 2, 2014, 9:07 GMT

Prabahar_Trichy doesn't matter wat you have posted. although his 70-80% of runs came in SL only bt stil he is counted as legends of world cricket. SSC is particularly his favorite ground. he is lion there. He averages 20-25 outside subcontinent in Tests & ODIs. still one of the greats of cricket.

• Prabahar_Trichy on June 2, 2014, 8:57 GMT

An Over hyped player. Poor record in Eng/SAF/Aus/Newz.. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/49289.html?class=1;host=1;opposition=1;template=results;type=allround;view=match He haven't proved in ENg/SAF/Aus pitches.

30% of his total runs scored Coombo SSC only (with avg :67) http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/49289.html?class=1;ground=416;ground=679;home_or_away=1;host=8;template=results;type=allround;view=match A SSC flat track bully.

• YsaKaru on June 2, 2014, 8:49 GMT

True gentleman in this gentleman's game........ BEST OF LUCK MAIYA!!!!!!!!!!

• on June 2, 2014, 8:42 GMT

if sl wants to win wc2015 mahela should have open the innings with dilshan.sanga no 3 chndi no4 mathiws ,thirimanna and two all rounds is my batting line up

• gularan on June 2, 2014, 8:19 GMT

MJ is failing coming at no 4 in odi's.therefore he should open in the last game against england as he is more adept at opening in odi's . Sadly his form is slipping away from him with age which happens to everybody.All Sri lankan cricket lovers should be grateful for the umpteen occasions that he has thrilled them. In the last match the selectors should omit thirimanne and chandimal and give thisara and herath a chance. It is vital that SL get the balance right for this series decider.my team 1.dilshan 2.mahela 3.sanga 4. kusal 5.angelo 6. thisara 7.priyanjan 8.senanayake 9.kula 10.herath 11.malinga May mother mary bless and keep the team and grant SL the trophy as worthy and deserving team and also make them win the toss and bat 2nd which will aid a SL win in no small way.

• muzika_tchaikovskogo on June 2, 2014, 8:03 GMT

I would like to wish Sri Lanka the very best of luck for the upcoming series. Unfortunately, I'll be surprised if this inexperienced bowling lineup manages to make a significant impact in the upcoming series: to date Sri Lanka have won 2 test matches in England, both owing to Murali, who took 27 wickets in those two wins. Their seamers have traditionally struggled in England and with all due respect, Herath is not even remotely in the same league as Murali.

• anver777 on June 2, 2014, 7:52 GMT

Mahela & Sanga should carry on for sometime in ODI & Test. They should guide the youngsters in the team & help SL cricket grow & go forward !!! I wish Mahela a good test series against Eng in his last UK tour !!!!

• gahapanmachan on June 2, 2014, 7:39 GMT

Mahela should open the batting in ODI, if SL to have any chance of 2015 cup. He played brilliantly in Oz a couple of years back and cannot fathom why the selectors wont push him there with the cup to be played downunder.

• Marcel_Ci on June 2, 2014, 7:36 GMT

MJ is probably the best SL player over the years... in terms of play as well as in terms of character..... wonderful career.. I rate him above sangakara anyday bcz of sangakara's character. watevr happened at the toss time in final match of WC 2011 can never be forgotten. that showed the real character of sangakara. MJ is best & shall be counted amongst legends of not only SL cricket but also world cricket...

• shanepe2003 on June 2, 2014, 7:34 GMT

I think he should play for test cricket but not all odi matches its high time to give youngster a chance mahela should play key odi matches only that will give him extra motivation to challenge him self to the big ocations and much needed rest to recover . Pushing him as 2down batsman for all the matches I think we are asking for trouble every way.

• on June 2, 2014, 7:17 GMT

Ya we wish you best of luck and retirement on a high note you are legend mahlela.

• Vicvindy on June 2, 2014, 7:04 GMT

Well said mahiya....it's always good to retire when the right time comes...this had happened to so many SLkan past cricketers...they couldn't come to terms with when to call it a day...but i know for sure both sanga and u, will no when to go off, since u guys got nothing to prove to the entire world as u said so. Cheers and have good test series ahead...

• on June 2, 2014, 6:45 GMT

good sportsman ship..God bless you all..

• No featured comments at the moment.

• on June 2, 2014, 6:45 GMT

good sportsman ship..God bless you all..

• Vicvindy on June 2, 2014, 7:04 GMT