Best ready for West Indies opportunity
Tino Best has described himself as fit and ready to return to action for West Indies, three years after he last played Test cricket. The fast bowler was called into the touring party as a replacement for Shannon Gabriel, who has returned home after suffering a stress reaction in his back during defeat in the first Test against England.
Best, 30, who had been named in the West Indies A team to face India A next month, was recently a member of the full squad for the limited-overs internationals against Australia but did not play. He left the Caribbean on Tuesday ahead of the second Test at Trent Bridge, which starts on Friday.
"I'm very happy to be recalled for the Test squad for the series in England," Best said. "I've been waiting for my opportunity to represent the West Indies again and this is another opportunity to wear the Baggy Maroon."
"I'm fit and feeling quite ready. I've been training and working hard, looking forward to this. I was in the team earlier this year when we played against Australia and I gained a lot of knowledge from being in the group. I felt I fitted in quite well and I have a good idea of the work ethic and what will be required of me."
With Fidel Edwards, Kemar Roach and Ravi Rampaul all suffering niggles, Best could make an unexpected Test comeback, even if West Indies decide to pick the offspinner Shane Shillingford, as the tourists look to build on an encouraging but ultimately unsuccessful performance at Lord's. Best is familiar with English conditions, having toured with the West Indies in 2004 and played for Yorkshire in 2010.
"What I have to do, and what I am fully aware of, is how to put that knowledge to work," he said. "I'm a hard worker and I'm really delighted to get this opportunity."
Edited by Alan Gardner