England v West Indies, 3rd Test, Edgbaston, 4th day

Pietersen blames schedule for one-day exit

George Dobell at Edgbaston

June 10, 2012

Kevin Pietersen played some flourishing strokes, England v West Indies, 3rd Test, Edgbaston, 4th day, June 10, 2012
Kevin Pietersen hopes the ECB change the rules so he can play in the World T20 © AFP

Kevin Pietersen has blamed his decision to retire from limited-overs international cricket on England's unrelenting schedule but reiterated his desire to play in the World T20 in September.

In a thinly-veiled attack on the ECB, Pietersen utilised the close of play press conference on the fourth day of the third Test at Edgbaston to criticise the schedule of the England team and what he suggested were unreasonable demands placed upon the shoulders of players. Pietersen, 31, the player of the tournament when England won the World T20 in 2010, said his heavy schedule was in danger of making him fall out of love with the game but expressed a hope that the ECB would "change the rules" and allow him to participate in the World T20.

Pietersen announced his decision to retire from all limited-overs international cricket just over a week ago. While he had not wanted to retire from the international T20 format, the nature of ECB central contracts dictates that a player has to be available for both forms of the limited-overs game to be considered for either. The ECB fear that if players are allowed to pick and choose their games or their formats, then their ODI side will be hit by several high-profile withdrawals.

"I've said I'll play the T20 World Cup," Pietersen said. "If they want me to play the T20 World Cup, I'll play the T20 World Cup. But contracts are contracts.

"I'd had enough of the schedule. I can't carry on doing everything. I play every single form of cricket that there is. I play the IPL and I've the Champions League in October. Apart from MS Dhoni, I've played the most days of international cricket over the past seven years. There comes a time when some form of the game has to be taken out of my schedule. One-day cricket was it.

"It is a shame, but that is schedules we have. If the schedules weren't like that, or I played for another country where you had months and months occasionally to rest and recuperate, or if I had the opportunities to be rested things might be different. But you don't get those opportunities when you play for England. So I had to make a decision. You know what that decision is.

"I can't play at my peak - I can't keep on playing every single game and enjoying every single game - when I have to play every single form of cricket, or when I have to train every single day. You fall out of love with it. And I want to still play cricket until I'm 35."

The England schedule is undeniably heavy. After a desperately hectic summer, including internationals games against West Indies, Australia, South Africa and Scotland, those members of the squad who play all three formats of the game will spend less than two weeks in the UK from late October to early April. For those involved in the World T20, that period will be even further extended.

Pietersen's argument is partially flawed, however. The ECB do not oblige him to participate in the IPL or the Champions League - other players have, at times, chosen to use such periods for rest - and the entire squad did enjoy the best part of two months off ahead of the tour to the UAE. He has also been rested from limited-overs games in the past. However Pietersen suggested his decision was not motivated by a desire to play more T20 competitions around the world - "I'm not playing the Big Bash," he said - but simply by a desire to rest physically and mentally and to spend more time with his family.

"Of course it was a difficult decision," he said. "I'm giving up something. It was a very difficult decision, but waking up the next day I was absolutely buzzing: no regrets at all. I've moved on. I don't want to talk about it. It's done and dusted and it would be unfair to this Test for me to create headlines talking about it. I've finished with one-day cricket and T20 - unfortunately - was a part of that."

Pietersen expects to play his next competitive game in the Friends Life T20 for Surrey against Sussex at The Oval on July 3. He will then play two more T20 matches before participating in the championship match against Lancashire at Guildford beginning on July 11 ahead of the Test series against South Africa.

"I'm having a break until the beginning of July," he said. "I'm going to continue hitting balls throughout June because I think I need to; I want to try and keep myself in this nick. But I will be going on breaks with the family."

Pietersen was adamant that he would have no mixed feelings knowing that his England teammates were in action against Australia in the forthcoming ODI series. "No chance," he said. "Absolutely no chance. I'll be enjoying time off with my family. If I had wanted to play those one-dayers, I would have played them. I'll be enjoying my time off."

But he did admit that he hoped a solution could be found to his stand-off with the ECB whereby he could play in the World T20. He said the T20 format was "definitely" taking over from the ODI format as T20 "is fun, it is exciting and people come and watch it".

"I hope so," he said, when asked if he thought he might still play in the World T20. "But I've been through this with the ECB. I don't know; they'd have to change the rules."

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (June 13, 2012, 11:22 GMT)

@Salman Raza, ask a proper patriot and he'll tell you if working in our jobs in our own country even as a clerk is a National Duty or not, just in case you don't understand that. For example, take an assembling worker in America in a Chevrolet plant. He says I'm proudly working for America and the car is proudly and affectionately made in USA, just so you know.

Posted by   on (June 13, 2012, 9:16 GMT)

@Dravid_Gravitas, How is my job or anyone else's job 'National duty?' You work for a company, not your country there. Cricketers of this stature are chosen to represent their Country. There's a big difference if you don't understand that.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (June 12, 2012, 11:57 GMT)

All the guys crying foul over national duties and all of that nonsense need to look into a mirror. How many of you have left your country for the sake of a better job in another country? And mind you, all you guys must have left your country just for the sake of a few thousand dollars or pounds or euros. Here for KP and other cricketers we are talking in Millions of Dollars. Are you guys for real? So please stop your obsolete, hilarious, mundane and unintelligible arguments. I don't want to have a terrible side-strain again by LMHO ( o _ O )!

Posted by applethief on (June 12, 2012, 9:50 GMT)

@jmcilhinney I may be mistaken here, but was not the reason that Morgan left the Irish side specifically so he could have a test career?

Posted by   on (June 12, 2012, 9:43 GMT)

Ridiculous argument by Pieterson. I do think that National duty always comes first and all these IPLs and BPLs later. May be if Pieterson wasn't so greedy for money and fame these three formats would then be fine for him. I don't think anyone is in favour of leaving out room for the IPL since all other boards are at a major disadvantage. It's up to the players, if they can't afford to play all the formats, and it's just this tiring, then why play the IPL? I'm sure Pieterson would have known the T20 World Cup with other cricket is right around the corner. Honestly, such a person should not be in any format. National duties should always come first. However, I'd like to point out that he isn't really British now is he so may be he feels differently.

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (June 12, 2012, 8:06 GMT)

@randyoz... pattinson is only famous for losing to NZ

Posted by zenboomerang on (June 12, 2012, 4:06 GMT)

@JG2704... Think you meant BPL rather than BBL - typo?... Disregard my previous comment :) ...

Posted by Meety on (June 12, 2012, 2:14 GMT)

@arjun814 - I would use your suggestions as a guideline, allowing for 5 Test series, & I would have bilateral T20s prior to or just after an ODI series on a 3-format tour. == == == Can't see England defending their T20 crown without KP.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 12, 2012, 2:09 GMT)

@cricket-india on (June 11 2012, 14:24 PM GMT), one thing to take into account there is that not many people really thought Morgan should have been in the Test team to begin with, so the fact that he's not trying especially hard to get back in is pretty much OK with most England Test cricket fans. I'm fairly sure that at least part of the reason that KP gets more criticism than some other players is the fact that he's not a native Englishman. Having players born outside England bothers some people more than others. Personally, it doesn't bother me too much and I try to treat all qualified players the same way but I'm sure that there are those who, while happy to claim KP's triumphs as their own, feel a bit more comfortable criticising him than they do those players born and bred in England.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 11, 2012, 21:42 GMT)

@arjun814 on (June 11 2012, 15:52 PM GMT) Did I read somewhere that some players were still chasing money fromtheir BBL stints or did I dream it?

Posted by Digimont on (June 11, 2012, 20:51 GMT)

Let's be honest about this. KP gave up 50 over cricket so he could play more T20, and it has backfired slightly on him through being denied a spot in the England T20 team. Now KP, you can go sell your self to more T20 leagues.

I agree with his choice. I also agree with England's decision. Without such a policy, the 50 over game would surely die a quick death, not through being removed from the calendar (as I think it probably should), but through having 2nd eleven teams playing.

Well done KP, for sticking with test cricket. Chris Gayle, Kieren Pollard are you paying attention?

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 20:06 GMT)

the most important thing to note that England is the no.1 t 20 team in the world is mainly because of KP 's brilliance in this format . And any opposition captain would be very happy to see that there is no KP in the England team ...

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 18:01 GMT)

England board stick to your guns! Pietersen is not bigger than the team. You change the policy for one player and the team spirit crumbles. If he really wanted to spend time with his family and rest then the IPL window was the perfect opportunity. I don't take into the whole, "t20 tournaments are here to stay."

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (June 11, 2012, 17:17 GMT)

I can understand that too much time is allotted to short form cricket because of the gap between matches which is a drag, and all the training between games. At some point something has to give in a programme this intense,probably during early to mid thirties. It is a pity he couild not just pick and choose series.A lot of people are not that interested in this series v Aus as they are here next year anyway, seeing them too often really spoils it for the main event. I am not entirely convinced that the ECB is really trying to solve the situation in any satisfactory way as they make the rules and thus are in a position to waive them. personally I do not think one size should fit all as it were and in the case of agreat player mayybe things could be subject to a bit of discreet leeway.

Posted by arjun814 on (June 11, 2012, 15:52 GMT)

Why don't everyone accept the fact the T-20 tournamanents like IPL, Big Bash, Champions league, BPL are here to stay and the need to limit the number of bilateral ODI's to a minimum. Teams should play no more than 12 Tests and 12 ODI's in one year (4 tours, 4*3) and T20 WC every year( no more bilateral t20's). Then the sanctity of the test matches will not be lost and enough number of ODI's in an year to prepare for the WC every 4 years.In this way there is a window for all the formats, players can make enough money, fans will love the T20 excitement, Tests and One days will not be forgotten and there will not be a country vs club argument (which is a non sense).

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 15:21 GMT)

You can't bend the rules, just for the sake of ONE person, however great he may be!

Posted by cricket-india on (June 11, 2012, 14:24 GMT)

eoin morgan was dropped from the test team and he didn't bother to play county cricket to regain his place...he went to the ipl where he had no games at all, and still insists he's a better player for the 'experience' of it. morgan's thumbs down to tests doesn't seem to earn him any enemies but kp's love of tests (i again remind u guys, he didn't quit tests for T20s, he did it the other way round) still seems to rankle for no reason at all. i know kp isn't a popular man but that doesn't mean everythig he does is wrong!!!

Posted by Tlotoxl on (June 11, 2012, 14:12 GMT)

The reason is clealy there in black and white, has has played the most international cricket of anyone bar Dhoni in the last 7 years and I have no doubt that if he hadn't been injured for the best part of 6 months he may well have played more than Dhoni. I have no problem with him playing in the IPL, it is after all only a few weeks a year. I hope he somehow gets in the T20 world cup squad, there is still time - hopefully a well timed injury to one of the lesser players and he can be called up as a replacement...

Posted by cricket-india on (June 11, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

give the guy a break...he didn't do a pollard or a gayle, giving up tests for T20, right???

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 13:36 GMT)

i hope they let kp play the t20 world cup and not odi's since he doesnt want to. They REALLLY need him for a tournament like that i mean he is one of the best in the world when it comes to that format and the player of the tournament when they won it

Posted by whatawicket on (June 11, 2012, 13:30 GMT)

why play a worthless odi competition against the aussies in between test series. i know its a money maker. but the only one i guess as per the witless writings of some before a bowl has been bowled. as there is not many of this squad that got the aussies into the # 1 position.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (June 11, 2012, 13:28 GMT)

The rules are their to help English cricket not to hinder surely. So if it is found that a particular rule actually is akin to shooting oneself in the foot then surely it can be changed, can't it? After it is not an Act of Parliament or something which needs a long process. The ECB simply decide to create an exception, or ignore a rule that is after all its own. Flexibility is always useful on these occasions, and if taking KP to the t20 WC is in the interests of England then surely it can drop the rule. The stupidest thing is to make a rule which then overrrides all sense and logic.

Posted by SuperKing.Cobra on (June 11, 2012, 13:17 GMT)

Will any one come out and say I like money!!?? IPL is fun and money. ECB and Television company earn money from fans who watch players like KP,Chris Gayle provide the entertainment. If it is not for these players I am sure the ratings and intrest will go down. To blame a player like KP or Gayle is totally unfair. Nobody complains about the money being made by boards\TV rights. Cricket players are not like footballers who earn lots of money. KP is honest as much as he can. I don't know why people go after KP. Get rid of the One dayers and replace it with 5 match Test Series and a 5 match 20\20 series.

Even better would be to have yearly International Test Match League and International 20/20 League and a one day world cup(every 4 years)

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 11, 2012, 12:03 GMT)

@SA_Scot, I could understand that had the 5 ODI's vs Australia been a last minute thing but they were not, they were planned over 15 months ago. The reason for them is a quid-pro-quo deal between the ECB and CA, the ECB wanted England to have a 5 day ODI series in Aus BEFORE the 2015 WC, and so CA requested a recipricol ODI series against england this year. I'm not a fan of ODI's either, but all the players knew the schedule for 2012 BEFORE they signed contracts in october last year, after the UAE/SL series KP was upbeat about 50 over Cricket and his future? So what has changed in the 2-3 months since then? (1) IPL, team owners in his ear about being avaiable for 'friendlies', and the whole tournament (2) Getting fined for a rash comment against a member of staff at one of the major income sources for the ECB. I think it was a combination of both.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 11:49 GMT)

Nobody Complained about the tough schedule during the IPL....Once finished everyone has a problem....What these guys need to understand is that they got place in IPL because of their performance on the international circuit. I am sure once KP stops playing international cricket he will not be the same player, playing IPL only as he used to be...Andrew Symonds is a good example...

Posted by team_indian on (June 11, 2012, 11:40 GMT)

I just wonder what Mr KP would say if her had to play the whole IPL(remember its tightly packed as well) and if Delhi Daredevils were to reach the finals which means 17-18 matches in a span of 40 days. Would he still blame the tight schedule then??? Definitely NO!!! So we can clearly see where his priorities lie.... cant we?

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 11:40 GMT)

Botham played ODI's for 16 years. In that time he played 116 matches. KP has been doing it for 8 years and has played 127. Botham 102 tests in 15 years, KP 85 in 8 years. Add in T20 Internationals for KP. There is no question the schedule is way heavier. When you have a wife and kids it isn't sustainable to never see them for years on end. With Cook, Trott and Bell playing ODI and not T20 I don't see why ECB can't rethink the contracts and allow players to choose 2 formats. If they don't they will only hurt English cricket in the long run. If KP was only in it for the money then why did he give up a million dollars to leave Dehli early and come home for the first test match. ODI's had nothing to do with this years IPL.

Posted by ShanTheFanOfSachin on (June 11, 2012, 11:27 GMT)

People can go on talking about Country vs Club. Why don't any one say Paul Scholes is greedy about money?? Why not Rio Ferdinand could reduce the number of games he plays for his club(make such a contract) so that he can prolong his England career?

But the fact is these guys are professional cricketers and no one should deny their right to earn some good money. They will eventually attempt to play 6-8 weeks of IPL to earn some good money. ECB can go on blocking 'IPL window' and eventually they will be cornered soon. Is there any other country that openly opposes IPL?? There will come the time when all coutries will prefer to let players for IPL and England will probably cool their heels or play the associates just because they want to play.

Lets get on with it and have a window for IPL, else it will only lead to some unpleasant and detrimental things in cricket world.

By the way I wasn't surprised to see this great article on Cricinfo anyway...

Posted by Stark62 on (June 11, 2012, 11:19 GMT)

So.......when Strauss and co. were resting, you were playing ipl.

That was your time of resting and you avoided it, so don't complain now!!

Posted by StoneRose on (June 11, 2012, 11:14 GMT)

I agree with Pietersen. He doesn't like one-day cricket - period. Shame on ECB for a silly rule. I expect a similar impasse with Anderson unless rules are changed.

Posted by RogerC on (June 11, 2012, 11:08 GMT)

Michael Hussey has played more cricket than KP, but with no complaint at any time. Dhoni, of course, is unmatched in terms of workload.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 11:01 GMT)

The best thing for Kevin Pietersen is to keep playing test cricket and private t20 tournaments. He is the biggest star in cricket and he should be playing the cricket that he obviously enjoys.

Posted by IndiaNumeroUno on (June 11, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

No worries KP, we love you in India and hope to see more of you in future IPL's!

Posted by SA_Scot on (June 11, 2012, 10:50 GMT)

@all..I'm 34, been watching cricket religously since 1993. Rarely miss much of an SA or England series. I much prefer test cricket, but I have come to loathe ODI cricket. 5 ODI's in the middle of an English summer is a good example of why.... it is a pointless 5 day series with no bearing on *anything*, there is little substance to it.

Why the hell would an established international cricketer be interested in pointless exercises like this ODI series... it could surely only be money couldn't it? In which case, why criticise Pitersen for taking money from other avenues.... OK fine, the other avenues pay more...soo what.

I have never been a Pietersen fan, I dont get along too well with people who blurt without thinking, but he is NOT wrong here in my opinion. The organisers of these English schedules are doing it for MONEY, not prestige... so point ypour wagging fingers at them for congesting the Calendar of English players.

IPL is fun, 20 / 20 is enjoyable. Why give it a hard time?

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 11, 2012, 10:50 GMT)

I cant help feel that this is like a mexican stand off to see who blinks first, KP will get his wish for more time off when the central contracts are renewed at the end of the year, probably with his being down graded to an Incremental. In one breath hes complaining about the packed schedule, and it is this year, yet seems to forget that he had 3 months off during the winter and could have had an extra 3 weeks off with the family if hed foregone his IPL stint. He also knew what the schedule was like this year, and could have asked for a break 6 months ago, so that it could have been planned, I suspect something happened in this years IPL or its a fall out of the fine business, as before that he was upbeat about the WC in 2015 and the rest of this year.

Posted by landl47 on (June 11, 2012, 10:27 GMT)

To all those who are saying that KP is justified in putting the IPL above ODI/T20I cricket, that's not the point. It's honesty which is the issue. If KP had said "Making money for my family's future is more important to me at this stage of my career than playing ODIs" then I wouldn't have too much problem with that. Sports stars have often had to make that choice- for example, up until 1968, tennis was divided into professionals and amateurs and only amateurs could compete in the Grand Slams, so many players missed Wimbledon, etc. because they wanted to make money from their chosen sport. It's KP making the choice to play IPL and then saying the heavy schedule is to blame, as though the schedule he plays is someone else's fault, that I object to. Yes, the ECBs 'ODIs plus T20Is or neither' rule is dumb, but that doesn't make KP's lack of honesty right. In fact, I'm with JG2704, I think the schedule is a smokescreen for a snit over his tweeting fine.

Posted by Theredbaron on (June 11, 2012, 10:23 GMT)

Its time the cricket authorities worldwide get a wake up call. The likes of Chris Gayle, Kevin Petersen etc have a certain cricketing lifespan. They are entertainers and have the right to go where the money is. They make cricket marketable, and deserve every cent they get.

Posted by applethief on (June 11, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

As disagreeable as it might be, no doubt other players are considering a similar move. There really isn't any need for more than 3 ODIs in any tour. Weaker nations are struggling to get by financially, unable to fund DRS and such. Would it not be interesting to intersperse Tests with T20s at the same grounds? Teams would have to travel less, still get to tour a country, give Test players more time to recover between matches and give fans something to break up the series? Because, let's face it, the idea of a "series" in T20Is is a bit of nonsense, really. It should just be a fun little break between the more serious forms of the game. And it would accommodate players like KP who want to play Tests and T20s as they are in one block, and they could be preceded by the ODI leg. Grounds and conditions aren't standardised, but tours should be: 3,3,3

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 9:45 GMT)

Packed schedule? that is a joke. He's clearly seen the IPL money and got the taste of it.

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 11, 2012, 9:11 GMT)

@VillageBlacksmith - KP retired before the Australia series because he knew his career would've been ended by Pattinson then anyway.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 8:37 GMT)

who is forcing u to play the IPL.....?? dont play it simple !! and excuse me.....rules dont change just cuz of one player !!

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (June 11, 2012, 8:13 GMT)

@jmci.. I wasn't clear enough, I think these meaningless 5 odis v aussie have tipped KP over the edge, I think another test (or 2) instead vs RSA & his old mate G Smith would have been right up KP's street, instead he gets these 5 pointless odis vs aussie and a fine re someone saying he wasn't good enough for odis anyway!! I am with KP for chucking odis in, and I agree 3 or 4 odis max is enough for any series. I'm glad that out of all the formats he hasn't jacked in Tests, but I'm sure the ECB will get round to that one day.

Posted by SuperSharky on (June 11, 2012, 8:09 GMT)

I also felt that, especially, Jonty Rhodes retired too early from One Day Internationals. He and Shaun Pollock also blamed the scheduled calendar and that was back in the day before all the 20/20 games.

Posted by brittop on (June 11, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

Get on with it, KP. The rest of us don't get months off work.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 7:53 GMT)

KP is a legend... now people here calling him to quit IPL and Champion's league is ridiculous... how many would actually turn out an offer in your career something like this??? Now the real issue is ECB who are so adamant, that they would not allow him to play T20-20....

Posted by 200ondebut on (June 11, 2012, 7:40 GMT)

It is a shame for the fans that ECB management couldn't have found a solution with KP. They rest players who don't want resting - and they don't rest players who do want it. Crazy!

KP has every right to play in the IPL - just so that he doesn't end up stacking shelves in Sainsbury's like Chris Old.

Posted by Rahul_78 on (June 11, 2012, 7:38 GMT)

I think there is more then meets the eye to the story. If KP so desperately wanted to play World T20 for his COUNTRY or shall we say Adopted COUNTRY then he should have asked to be rested for ODI series prior to that. ECB and Andy Flower have been very reasonable in managing their players workload. A grumpy Anderson was made to seat out against his wish in a dead rubber. KP is only 31 and it is very hard for him to convince his retirement to the public especially the timing when it has came on the heal of a important T20 world cup. This amounts to putting the pressure on PCB. KP is a fantastic player and all the clubs will be lining up at his residence to sign him for T20 leagues with fat pay cheques which he can pick and choose at his own leisure. But he should have waited at least till the T20 world cup before announcing his retirement.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 11, 2012, 7:30 GMT)

As I've said before , I think the overscheduling is a smokescreen. I still think (as I said before) Eng should be more flexible with the contracts of those who play all 3 - Swann,Broad and (I forgot last time) Bresnan regardless of this KP situation but it seems very strange that a player would be in the best OD/T20 form of his life and openly say how much he's enjoying his cricket and then so soon after and with no dip in form etc he's retired from overwork.When he and team Eng looked very jaded and struggled so badly in India late last year , surely that would be the time when a player would question his workload etc. Does anyone know for sure how long he'd been talking to ECB or anyone about retiring? Was it before the Knight fine? I'm sorry but I just don't buy this overscheduling reason from a player who is obviously buzzing on the pitch right now.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (June 11, 2012, 7:24 GMT)

As I have commented elsewhere, KP has but one loyalty - to himself. In saying that, I am passing my opinion, not a judgement. I am sorry that he has fallen foul of the all-or-nothing contract he signed - and I think it should be reviewed so that some flexibility is built in for all players: one-size-fits-all is never an appealing selling point. I can foresee a time, not far distant, when there are different contracts for each form of the game with many, perhaps most players EITHER short-form or Test specialists & contracted accordingly. This focussing on one form of cricket (formatted or Test) would remove a great deal of the angst/simmering resentment that exists on both sides of the fence. Can anyone see Dernbach ever playing TC? Should Eoin Morgan ever have been considered a Test batsman? Why consider Trott for short forms? etc, etc. As for KP, he is inadvertently trail-blazing just this scenario & ironically he can thank the IPL for giving him the financial freedom so to do.

Posted by The_bowlers_Holding on (June 11, 2012, 7:19 GMT)

It is surely a financial decision ,he earns around £450k on a central contract and IPL is around the same ($1.5m for 2 year contract); this for a months work each year playing for 3 hours with small boundaries and all the samosas you can eat. I concur with other posters the ODI's V Aus are pointless and actually wonder if ODI have a future, one day crickets purpose was a cheap and cheerful way of making money (for the Counties) and now surely they have been superceded by T20. KP will probably have a better last few years as a test player with less of a workload which is the main thing, why does he keep getting out on 80+ when looking imperious.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 11, 2012, 6:44 GMT)

@landl47 on (June 11 2012, 03:26 AM GMT), I can see both sides of this issue and, while I do agree with pretty much all of what you said, I'm not quite ready to beat KP with those facts. While players like Cook and Anderson would love to play all three formats, even if they did they would still not have KP's schedule due to the IPL. Of course KP could choose not to play IPL and maybe players like Cook and Anderson would sacrifice that before any format for England, but I really can't hold it against a guy for taking the opportunity to make that kind of money. Let's face it, KP really likes T20 cricket and attention so he must love playing the IPL, even without the money. Let's also not forget that he was born in SA and did live their for a good part of his life so, while I don't question that he does feel a commitment to English cricket, it's unlikely to be as strong as for players like Cook and Anderson. Personally, I'm OK with that. I bet he'd prefer SA's international schedule now.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 11, 2012, 6:37 GMT)

@VillageBlacksmith on (June 11 2012, 05:54 AM GMT), while I don't espouse canning ODIs altogether, I do think that 7-game series should be banned and these ODI-only series should also be banned. There are plenty of proper tours during which ODIs can be played without plugging every gap in the schedule with a 5-game series like in India last winter and against Australia this summer. It may well be that, without those series, KP would have felt that he had enough time away from cricket. That said, if the time taken up by the Australia ODI series was instead taken up by an extra Test or two against SA then, while I'd be all for that, it wouldn't help relieve the pressure of the schedule.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 6:16 GMT)

Although his position is quite understandable, i'd like to know how he plays no cricket between now and 3 July. Why isnt he obliged to turn out for Surrey? How does he expect to be picked in the test team if he doesnt play first class cricket?

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (June 11, 2012, 5:54 GMT)

The problem are these meaningless and out of context FIVE odis vs australia... They have scuppered a 4 or 5 test series v RSA and are an overload/overkill/over-it for everyone, including our Kev... We just played the aussies last year (including 7 ludicrous odis?) now we have got them again for 5 odis.. then 5 odis vs RSA then 7odis vs India... then 5 vs aussie then 5 vs aussie yet again.. so what is the purpose of the 5 meaningless odis this year?? As well as all the tests and T20s and a few other odis in between.... I'm with Kev, chuck odis in, and if the ECB want to cut their nose off over KP in T20 that is solely up to them... It is just totally absurd...

Posted by Muhtasim13 on (June 11, 2012, 5:51 GMT)

KP's argument is quite flawed. I mean if he opted out of playing the IPL & Champions League he could have had 10 weeks of rest each year. But having said that, England's FTP seems to be packed with outrageous number of matches. There would hardly be even a week's break between May-September in the upcoming years for any English player playing in all 3 formats. ECB has to do something about their schedule. or else others like Morgan (if he becomes a regular player) might follow KP's path

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 5:49 GMT)

PIETERSEN COME IN PAK TEAM RIGHT NOW THEY ARE IN RESTED MODE AS WELL AS NO IPL PRESSURE...AND I HOPE SHOULD NOT COME THAT BETTER FOR THEM

Posted by davidatlas999 on (June 11, 2012, 4:34 GMT)

One thing i want to say no one from pakistan is skipping odi or test or t20i.only shahid afredi do this because no one want afredi in test that's why he retired from test.And the reason is simple they are not in ipl so they don't feel (workload). They are eagerly playing all the matches and they want more and more matches for pakistan.The reason is simple is that they are not allowed yet to play ipl.So they don't feel the word (work load).

Posted by TheBlackMonk on (June 11, 2012, 4:05 GMT)

Some country even doesn't get enough matches and some has to rest their players for excessive playing! This is why FIFA is far stronger than any sports committee, they give fair share to every one and even more protective for weaker teams. And yes, FIFA is commercially successful too! There are plenty to learn from them for ICC!

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 11, 2012, 3:58 GMT)

I'm a little torn on this issue. If Pietersen is playing too much cricket then he could have opted out of the IPL. It's his decision to play IPL so his hectic schedule is partly self-imposed. That said, I do think it's a bit rich for people to call Pietersen and players like him "selfish". Who of us wouldn't want to earn the money that he can in the IPL? He's one of the top players in IPL and it would be hard for anyone to turn down the money he can command. Despite that, up until now he has always prioritised England, leaving the IPL early to fulfil his England commitments. While I think that it's a shame that we lose KP for ODIs and, as a result, T20Is too, I say that we just move on. If it weakens England then so be it. He wasn't going to be around forever anyway. Let's get some young players in and develop them. If we lose the T20 WC crown then we can try to get it back next time and those young players will be ready for WC 2015 in Aust/NZ.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 3:46 GMT)

LOL @ people calling him selfish... I bet they would do the same if they if someone gave them over a million dollars!! And let's not forget tht KP is the se guy who left South Africa simply so that he could make it to international cricket and earn more!!

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 3:43 GMT)

If KP really wanted to play the T20 WC why didn't he announce his retirement after the WC? why retiring 3 months earlier and then complaining that ECB doesn't flexible rules? He knew he cant play T20s if retires from ODIs, right?

Posted by landl47 on (June 11, 2012, 3:26 GMT)

Pietersen's logic is astounding. He plays IPL and Champion's league, so the heavy schedule is the ECB's fault. He had two full months off in November and December last year, came back and scratched around like an old hen in the tests against Pakistan, but he never gets any time off with his family. He sure didn't play like someone who had been sacrificing family time for practice- it wasn't till he'd played some games and spent some time in the nets that he started finding a bit of form. It's all self-justification with him; guys like Cook and Anderson would love to play all 3 formats if selected, but it's too much work for him. I've enjoyed watching Pietersen bat over the years, but if he were a character from the movies, it would be the Scarecrow from The Wizard Of Oz.

Posted by Rudra_Murthy on (June 11, 2012, 3:25 GMT)

@Ahmed Hussain, Playing 5 tests or 7 ODI's gives you a better benchmark for deciding which team is better than the other. Also T20's cannot help you to judge whether a player performs well or not. The reason is if you score 20 off 6 balls you are a good T20 player not matter whether the runs came from the middle of bat or outside edges. But tests and one-day mirrors true talent of a batsman.

Posted by joseyesu on (June 11, 2012, 3:07 GMT)

Sure MS will follow very soon in giving up the test match and already he had commented on that. But KP it is nice one to leave ODI and your decision is right. We miss you in ODI's - a little toothless for England

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 1:30 GMT)

He is very selfish. he should put international cricket first but thats clearly not the case. he wants to play the T20 world cup because he will try to do well and enhance his chances of making more money in IPL...i dont think its the IPL fault...its up to the players to put their countries first.

Posted by JesseV on (June 11, 2012, 1:25 GMT)

Pietersen is so full of it..."I've moved on. I don't want to talk about it. It's done and dusted and it would be unfair to this Test for me to create headlines talking about it." If he didnt want headlines why talk about it? The sun doesnt revolve around this guy, but he thinks it must. Talk about selfish. Dont play the IPL or the Champions League if you want some time off.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 1:23 GMT)

so IPL comes ahead of playing ODI for your country. WOW KP! Thats fantastic news.

Posted by yetigoat on (June 11, 2012, 1:15 GMT)

Does he play many games for his FC team? Does he play as many games as the standard professional cricketer who plies his trade on both sides of the world. If he was that tired from the playing then perhaps he should've skipped the non ECB IPL.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 1:05 GMT)

You won't see Michael Hussey either as he has pulled out for family reasons. This sort of balances things out and doesn't put England at a disadvantage, plenty of opportunities to develop young batsmen and talent. Given Hussey's age, he won't be around for a lot longer.

Posted by   on (June 11, 2012, 0:06 GMT)

I actually agree with Pieterson just look how messed up the FTP is I mean in many of England Series there are actually 7 ODI matches in one series just take a look at the silly FTP. 7 ODI matches is simply unnecessary and too much and is meaningless.I don't blame Pieterson the schedule with same repeated matches is boring and not on for example the coming England-Australia 5 match meaningless ODI series a series which they will play again next year after the ashes you see Kevins point? Its not his fault.

Posted by SirDallas on (June 10, 2012, 22:23 GMT)

I am sure KP is not the only person around the world playing all three versions of the game for his country. He has retired from one day and T20 for England but i would bet anyone that next year he will play IPL as long as England doesnt have a test then.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2012, 22:17 GMT)

George Dobell, I FIGURED IT OUT! This should be the format for tours from now on: 2-5 test matches. 3 ODI'S. 5 T20's. Let me break it down. Most test series will be 3 test, the ones with little interest having 2, the ones with much interest having 4. Ashes, 5 test. 3ODI's since having a 50 over ODI World Cup is absolutely important & 50 over cricket must stay. But no more than 3 ODI's, we're trying to reduce player work load right now. A tour should have 3ODI's with a reserve day after the final ODI. In case one of the games get washed out! Now this is the important part - 5 T20's! Two exhibition T20's per tour isn't doing cricket boards or their bank accounts, spectators or players ANY FAVOURS. If International T20's can get some of the competition franchise T20's have, there ain't a cold day in hell possible franchise T20 can continue to steal int' cricketers. That, as well as players getting adequate rest from playing way less 50 over cricket, Int' cricket has a bright future.

George DobellClose
Tour Results
England v West Indies at Nottingham - Jun 24, 2012
England won by 7 wickets (with 2 balls remaining)
England v West Indies at Leeds - Jun 22, 2012
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
England v West Indies at The Oval - Jun 19, 2012
England won by 8 wickets (with 30 balls remaining)
England v West Indies at Southampton - Jun 16, 2012
England won by 114 runs (D/L method)
Middlesex v West Indians at Lord's - Jun 13, 2012