England's Pietersen dilemma

Pietersen 'fully committed' to England

George Dobell

August 11, 2012

Kevin Pietersen may have pulled off a career-saving performance as outrageous as anything he has achieved on the pitch by unconditionally committing himself to play for England in all formats of the game and apologising for the behaviour that led to speculation about dressing room rifts and his premature retirement.

In another development late on Saturday, the ECB announced that the squad for the third Test against South Africa would be delayed until 2.30pm on Sunday having originally been set for 9.30am, inviting the belief that England's selectors, having picked the squad for the final Test at Lord's, had been forced back into an emergency session.

Pietersen, who was facing the prospect of being dropped by England following a series of incidents that appeared to have driven a wedge between him and the rest of the England team, has retracted his request to play a full IPL season, reversed his retirement from international limited-overs cricket and withdrawn many of the comments he made in an emotional press conference following the second Test at Leeds. In a personally arranged video interview, Pietersen expressed his unconditional return for England in all forms of the game.

"I want to commit to all forms of cricket for England because I love playing for England," Pietersen said. "I am wanting to play all three forms of cricket again for England: the ODIs against South Africa in a couple of weeks and the T20 World Cup if I am selected. I want to make myself available for every single format of cricket for England.

"I am absolutely not insisting on playing the full IPL season. I am taking that all back. I will not be playing the full IPL. I will come back and play in the Tests against New Zealand next year.

"I've realised what is important to be. I've realised I can be happy. I've realised how much I love playing for England. I've realised that the last three or four days would be a sad way to go after all the happiness I've enjoyed. I'd hate to leave playing for England and I'd hate to leave all the spectators and fans this way.

"The stubbornness I've got sometimes - which is probably not a good thing as well - has led me to try to believe myself for too long and I've got to a point now where I've gone: play for England. This is what you love and this is what I want to do.

"I am fully committed and passionate about playing for England. I want to play for England. That is why I want to get back playing in all three formats of the game for England. I love doing what I do and I don't want to disappoint people.

"I've had a change of heart because of the reasons I stated. I love playing cricket for England.

"Money is not everything to me. I love winning for England. I loved the runs I scored at Headingley. I can't wait to play in Straussy's 100th Test next week. These things make me happy. Winning makes me happy.

"I understand that I have a short career. I can't do this until I'm 40. I have a young family and I'm the provider. I need to maximise my opportunities financially in order to have protection in later life. It's not all about money. I love playing for England and the runs I score for England mean so much more to me."

Pietersen accepted that his comments in Monday night's press conference following the second South Africa Test at Leeds had been emotional and unhelpful, but said he had held long discussions with a teammate in which many problems had been resolved.

"There's a press conference I did on Monday which I didn't handle in the right way," Pietersen said. "I was very emotional. I am who I am. I do make mistakes.

"The mood in the dressing room, in the last 24 hours, has been sorted out. I had a really good long chat with a team-mate of mine yesterday. We went through everything. We went through differences. We went through everything. I finished that conversation a very happy bloke and somebody who can't wait to meet with the team on Tuesday.

"I didn't handle the press conference well at all. I was in an emotional state. I did think there was a possibility it might be my penultimate Test. I said things I shouldn't have said. I know I have to clear things up. I want to clear things up.

"I need to pull towards the team. The team will need to pull towards me. I believe, in the last 24 hours, that's been done."

Words are one thing, of course. It is Pietersen's actions that will be scrutinised over the coming weeks and months by a dressing room that is somewhat jaded by recent events. There will be those in England's limited-overs teams, in particular, whose own positions are jeopardised by Pietersen's return. The World T20 team was picked at Edgbaston on Friday and must be announced by August 18. Whether Pietersen's backtracking has come in time remains to be seen.

But there can be no doubt that any England team is considerably strengthened by a Pietersen that feels respected, needed and appreciated. The brinksmanship between the ECB and Pietersen took their relationship to the edge over recent days but, once again, the uncompromising attitudes of Andy Flower would appear to have been vindicated.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by RFC73 on (August 14, 2012, 9:53 GMT)

We didn't poach KP! The guy who signed him for notts in 2001 was Clive Rice (then the coach of Notts). he was unkown then no other county would have signed him. if Saffers want to blame someone blame Rice. oh and didn't the Saffies poach imran tahir? people in glasshouses...

Posted by ashes61 on (August 13, 2012, 20:01 GMT)

Only just managed to see the video now. Only knew of it when hearing he'd been dropped yesterday morning. Why has it been described in some media as an apology? There was NO apology! Only a mealie-mouthed, contrived belly-ache aimed over the heads of the team, the captain, coach & ECB. In other words, aimed directly at the media or, more pertinently, his (I ask you - "HIS"!) fans. He imagines some personal fanbase unconnected with England cricket followers. If I had been the ECB I'd have sacked him as soon as I learned of this video, quite apart from what later transpired with regard to those texts. Contrast the maturity, balance, fairness, unselfishness & leaership qualities of Flower & Strauss, who are the architects of England' rise since the Pietersen/Moores debacle. Jeopardise that team ethos & throw away the lot. Bye bye KP - good riddance. Being a good (not great) atsman is uttelry irrelevan. Lose to SA? So what? I'd lose 3-0 if it meant seeing the end of this twit.

Posted by   on (August 13, 2012, 18:07 GMT)

calm down KP..Entertaine us with your flamboyant strokeplay..

Posted by king_kenie on (August 13, 2012, 13:19 GMT)

KP needs to grow up. These temper tantrums are indicative of a baby wanting candy at twelve in the night. Right after the screams and uncontrollable sobbing comes the peaceful restful angelic sleep. Grow up KP! You have a family now, stop embarrassing them... I can just imagine his personal life beyond cricket... It must be tough being his room mate. Is it any surprise he waited until his century in the last test before he started this latest saga? It's the same thing he did after his performance against WI when he retired from limited overs cricket... now if he was playing for WI he would have been a goner for sure. Just ask Chris Gail.

Posted by   on (August 13, 2012, 11:23 GMT)

KP will be back for england in all formats......!

Posted by   on (August 13, 2012, 9:47 GMT)

no one is bigger than national pride ....

Posted by   on (August 13, 2012, 8:00 GMT)

KP is adding controversial media attention towards himself, and has become a version of Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Akhtar in a nutshell. I think he should calm down a bit, England is already under a lot of flak being unable to defend their no.1 Test status.

Posted by jasif on (August 13, 2012, 7:44 GMT)

thanks to IPL for creating this mess....more to follow

Posted by   on (August 13, 2012, 7:24 GMT)

Very disappointed with ECB decision to left out KP. he is match winner...................

Posted by robheinen on (August 13, 2012, 5:16 GMT)

KP handled the situation very mature I feel. Saying this. Saying that, is what every man aspires to do. To think he one time was the england captain is very hard to believe. I expect the ECB will return the favour by handling the same situation with the same maturity and toy with Pietrsen like a cat does with a mouse. I can't wait to see the sequel of this soap!

Posted by RandyOZ on (August 13, 2012, 4:27 GMT)

England have no one to blame but themselves. No money is going into grass roots level and the gaping hole in the talent is evidence of this. Poaching will not help them at all and only brings mercenaries like KP to the team, and how is that working out for you ECB?

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 20:08 GMT)

KP s moment of doing a Afridi /yousuf on retirement

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 18:56 GMT)

@zenboomerang on (August 12 2012, 10:36 AM GMT) Mate , things move on in the space of hours on the KP saga. If KP is as genuine about wanting to fully commit to England as he said in that interview then of course I want him back. Thing is , none of us know what has gone on behind closed doors.

Posted by raza24 on (August 12, 2012, 17:00 GMT)

Well done KP.You made a ridiculous decision couple of months a go,specially after making two ODI centuries against Pakistan at your best.

Now you have returned.Entertaine us with your flamboyant strokeplay.

Posted by laxmanrules on (August 12, 2012, 16:27 GMT)

The root lies in the ECB trying its best to be as big as the BCCI. That, of course, is a long shot. The South-Africans and Australians have no issues with players playing the IPL and they manage it rather well. Their schedules are as packed as those of the English cricketers. If only the ECB and BCCI worked out their issues, this whole episode could have been avoided.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (August 12, 2012, 16:02 GMT)

@jmcilhinney (post on August 12 2012, 11:40 AM GMT): Agreed. But when he does play and if he performs well, wait 'til you hear the derogatory comments from other countries!

Posted by kumarcoolbuddy on (August 12, 2012, 15:54 GMT)

When I said "No offence" I really meant that. I asked this question before ENG dropped KP. In this question I was pointing to KP but not ENG. The reason for asking this question is human mind is very selfish and smart. KP always gives such smart statements especially after playing for IPL.

Posted by anksoct on (August 12, 2012, 15:00 GMT)

this whole episode has just one cause..the desperate need of the ECB to protect its position in world cricket..the no.1 ranking, promoting test cricket etc ..are just means to that end..& strauss, flower have been wisely chosen as enforcers of this agenda..both are washed up ..poor KP is vulnerable coz he sees his future not just with england but elsewhere as well..he is right in insisting that ,in a free world ,a player must have a say in the design of his own schedule..if the board wants him, work around that..england wouldn't do that because such an action weakens the administration..if 20-20 was big in england, they would have happily called it evolution of the game & promoted it.. but its big in india , so no way. kevin has been driven into making these mistakes..because he has been given irrational choices..bottom line..if a player is good..he must play..administrators are a dime a dozen..more such cases will come up in future..

Posted by the_enlightened on (August 12, 2012, 13:55 GMT)

This is ridiculous!!!Pietersen should have thought 10 times before taking such a big decision(his retirement).Personally I thought it was way too early for his retirement,as he could have easily played atleast 3yrs.But now that he was retired he is reversing it and making a comeback??He has made a fool out of himself.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 13:46 GMT)

one of the most interesting modern era players except with few idiotic interests oone such is playing for IPL and not committed to the country

Posted by sonicattack on (August 12, 2012, 13:02 GMT)

As @Nutcutlet and others have stated, Britain is a multi-cultural country and has welcomed or provided refuge for countless people over the years - KP will not be the first or last to have pangs of regret or yearnings for the country where he was brought up - but being who he is, all this is carried out in public, I'm not going to criticise him for that....

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 12:53 GMT)

Well done Kev. Very proud to have you playing for England.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 12:47 GMT)

Seriously, KP saved England from going down badly in the last test. Should have been 2-0 already. Don't get the KP haters at all. NZ would die for someone like KP..(pity its a bit harder said than done). Saffers let Kallis, Steyn and the Morkels play IPL - the whole thing is managed rather nicely. No stand-offs, no trial by media, no player crucifixions. This is how reasonably managed minded people do it...

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 12:46 GMT)

Love the fact that I can see more of KP! But, why does he keep having these emotional turn arounds. Surely, he isn't as crazy as he comes across to be.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

jmcilhinney well said like you say it seemed to be fans of all the other cricket fans saying give him what he wants

Posted by thegaffoor on (August 12, 2012, 12:27 GMT)

I don't what made him make this decision.. But a good one...

Posted by KingOwl on (August 12, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

The guy seems to have some psychological problems. He needs help. This kind of U turns are nor normal. I would be very surprised if this was the end of it all.

Posted by Stark62 on (August 12, 2012, 12:03 GMT)

Is that what PIETERSEN actually said or a modified clone of him?!?! o.O

Posted by Steggz on (August 12, 2012, 12:02 GMT)

I've changed my mind because no one would accept my demands, so I'll just fall into line...

Posted by RaneshFernando on (August 12, 2012, 11:54 GMT)

this never ends.. its just.. continuing!!

Posted by thebarmyarmy on (August 12, 2012, 11:54 GMT)

LEGEND!!! Welcome back KP!!

Posted by JBerger on (August 12, 2012, 11:41 GMT)

For all those with negative comments on KP: As a free man he has right to say what on his mind. I am pretty sure the English admins are not sinless. Remember they are the one who went in kahoot with Cheater Stanford & yet nothing has been said about them. KP must have a reason to say what he says as it must be hard to put up with bigots who runs the show behind the vials.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (August 12, 2012, 11:40 GMT)

@R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (August 12 2012, 09:55 AM GMT), I believe that players can be added to the final 15-man squad from outside the preliminary 30-man squad if cause can be shown. I think the fact that Pietersen was not available for selection at the time that the 30-man squad was announced but would have been included if he had been and now is available would be considered due cause by the ICC. It's definitely in the ICC's best interest to have one of the best T20 batsmen in the world playing in their premier T20 event so I can't see them preventing his inclusion. I think it would be fairly poor of any other team to protest his inclusion on those grounds too.

Posted by dadvoc on (August 12, 2012, 11:34 GMT)

this is a good news for England and I am happy for Pieterson, he has come to his senses sooner than expected. But I am afraid, this isn't the end of the story, the tension between the concerned parties will not ease with it. Hopefully I am wrong!

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 11:27 GMT)

"But there can be no doubt that any England team is considerably strengthened by a Pietersen that feels respected, needed and appreciated." -

And what about the rest of the players? They have to get on with things as best they can while the management, coach and captain have to spend far too much time massaging KP's ego. I think that the England team will be considerably strengthened if the Flower, Strauss et al spend time reassuring them that England is a team and KP is just one of the players. That their worth is recognised and the places they have won on merit will not be in jeopardy because one of their number decides he wants to play after all.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 11:22 GMT)

I am an Indian and this is answer to all those people who say people put IPL ahead of country,a time will come very shortly for them when they will realise there is nothing better than playing for your country in any formay of the game and i am also happy that one of the best batsmans of the present day would continue entertaining us in all formats of the game.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

safe to say dobell is a pietersen fanboy

Posted by glance_to_leg on (August 12, 2012, 11:11 GMT)

The England management deserve to be applauded. No one can seriously doubt KP's value to the side both as a player and as a financial draw, but his overweening arrogance and sense of self-importance clearly meant he thought he could blackmail Flower & al into letting him play on his own terms. Flower and the selectors have clearly decided to call his bluff, and it has worked. I hope he has now learned his lesson - he certainly appears to be eating humble pie - and will simply learn to play as part of a very successful team, of which he is doubtless the most talented member. The England management has demonstrated that one individual is not bigger than the side. I hope a lesson has been taught to any other potential prima donnas. Now, KP, score some more runs, and do what you do better than any other England cricketer I have ever seen in forty years of watching the game: playing brilliantly entertaining cricket.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 10:51 GMT)

all ready for the next incident, The England players will be scared to say anything to him hahah hypocrisy Pietersen

Posted by zenboomerang on (August 12, 2012, 10:37 GMT)

@jmcilhinney... Well said... Life doesn't always fall the way we want & sometimes we learn our limitations in a very public & embarrassing way... Just reading many of these posters proves that point & I've been no better at times in my life - eating humble pie atm...

Posted by zenboomerang on (August 12, 2012, 10:36 GMT)

@JG2704 :- "do you see KP being an England player after this series in any format?"... Sorry, bit late by a long way :) ... I'm not a KP fan (personality wise) by a long way, just think he has done well for you & maybe some of the criticism lately hasn't always been his fault...

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 10:23 GMT)

This latest statement emphasises even more that there is no... I... in team!! It also demonstrates that this whole saga has had his selfish mantra written all over it from the start...that is....1) Me... 2) Everyone else.

Posted by hhillbumper on (August 12, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

drop him because he is cancerous to the team approach and if this continues then he should be dropped for good!

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 10:08 GMT)

we've definitely not heard the end of this one.

Posted by agent001 on (August 12, 2012, 10:04 GMT)

Headlines "KP ruins dressing room atmosphere during the Lords Test and SA take series 2-0 and become the No.1 Test team dethroning England".

Posted by jmcilhinney on (August 12, 2012, 9:59 GMT)

KP has said all the right things in his interview. Of course there's some diplomacy involved but that's the case whenever a professional sportsman or administrator speaks. I don't think that anyone actually believes that he suddenly wants to play ODIs again but I do believe that he wants to do whatever is required to ensure that he keeps playing for England and if that includes playing ODIs then he's decided that that's what he'll do. I can respect him for that. There are plenty who said that the ECB should have just given him what he wanted but those are mostly (although not all) non-England fans and don;t really care about English cricket. There are also those who say that KP is too much trouble and they should just let him go. That's easy to say now but, if someone had said during the lean years, when KP was the only England batsman scoring runs, that he was going to do this in the future, we'd all have said that that was fine because he was scoring runs at the time.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (August 12, 2012, 9:55 GMT)

Isn't it too late to select him for the world 20:20 now anyway?

Posted by Patchmaster on (August 12, 2012, 9:47 GMT)

Good luck Keven, as and ENG fan, I hope that I see you in ALL three formats, you are an automatic selection in my book. Appreciate your honesty in this interview.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 9:31 GMT)

Team england has improved a lot in recent time and yes KP is the sweet music of the team....he should play in all the formats which is what a fan like me wish to see!.........good luck KP

Posted by Headbandenator on (August 12, 2012, 9:28 GMT)

"IPL is here to stay". Until the financial revenues continue to drop off. Looked at those recently?

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 9:07 GMT)

@Meety - We'll have to see what happens I guess. We all deserve a second chance and obviously if it all starts up again then I guess that's it. I'm not naive enough to think that it is purely down to the love of England etc and I do think the fact that they succeeded without him against your guys and WI coupled with ECB not bowing down have hopefully made him realise that he is not as indispensable as he thought he was - at least in ECBs eyes which is what counts. Also I believe it's quite a decent contract. I have always said I saw no way back because I didn't see KP retracting what he said , but it seems he has now which is a shock - if a pleasant one

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 9:06 GMT)

Have to agree with regular, consistent posters JMC,Nutculet etc here. It does indeed take a man to basically admit he was wrong when he was so forthright to begin with. The saga almost mirrors the Tevez/Man City saga in football. The differences being that KP had commentors divided and Tevez had previous and I think always will be a primadona. Hopefully ECB will let bygones be bygones and keep faith with him. As I put in another post - unless more conflict happened behind closed doors - it would seem strange to have faith with him for the 1st 2 tests and lose faith with him now.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 9:06 GMT)

@IndiaNumeroUno on (August 12 2012, 07:53 AM GMT) How does it feel that KP has prioritised England over IPL. Must be a huge dent to the egos of those who have said/implied that IPL is the be all and end all.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 9:06 GMT)

@Swingit on (August 11 2012, 23:32 PM GMT) Gayle has no integrity whatsoever. He messed Somerset about when he was going to be their overseas player. If Gayle's contract with WI was anywhere near as lucrative as KP's is with Eng he'd have been back with his tail between his legs straight away

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 9:05 GMT)

@sirvivfan on (August 11 2012, 22:19 PM GMT) Maybe he was reprimanded. Obviously (presuming he's selected) he could fail in the next test but surely he would be under less pressure now that he has shown some remorse.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 12, 2012, 9:05 GMT)

@kumarcoolbuddy on (August 11 2012, 22:02 PM GMT) No , the problem - which is hopefully ironed out now - was with KP thinking that he's bigger than the team. Trott is from SA and we've not had the slightest problem with him.

Posted by RednWhiteArmy on (August 12, 2012, 8:58 GMT)

Whatever...Plenty of superb youngsters waiting for a chance if he changes his mind again....

Posted by Hammond on (August 12, 2012, 8:57 GMT)

@IndiaNumeroUno.. Why not? It is patently obvious to the rest of the cricketing world that the BCCI is the biggest problem facing world cricket today. So where else do we place the blame?

Posted by Narkovian on (August 12, 2012, 8:53 GMT)

Question : Why is the whole sorry episode being conducted by "press conference"? Mind you they all seem to be conducted by KP statements ! Don't ECB and KP talk to each other in private? Anyway. what a horrible sickly statement by KP. He almost had me in tears.( Not). One presumes, that because ECB have delayed 3rd Test team announcement, they had already decided to drop him. So need to meet again to change their mind ! This can only be a temporary fix. The relationship will definitely end in tears eventually. Like all bad relationships, best to end them sooner rather than later.

Posted by The_bowlers_Holding on (August 12, 2012, 8:47 GMT)

peter4135 re: landl47's post he gives names some of the young players coming through 2 others with great futures are Woakes and Stokes . I think the coming years will see England remain competitive at or around the top of world cricket there is not the frailty we had when Flintoff was king pin. The most important man to England is not a player but the coach he is a rock and I hope we can maintain the good work he has continued when he is hounded out by the press some day or head hunted (probably by India/Aus).

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 8:42 GMT)

Who's the team mate he talked too?? That's what i want to know!!

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 8:39 GMT)

So now a player(s) who expected to play limited overs games, and maybe their clubs who have signed players to fill the gap(s), may be told..."all change, Kevin has changed his mind and that's OK. Sorry if it causes you problems." How will Ian Bell feel, thinking it may have cost him a role he dearly wanted, as well as big chunk of income? Will others feel the same? Will it set a precedent...throw your dollies out of the pram and you will get your own way? This is not the first time he has behaved badly.

Maybe he will not be named at 2.30. My hope is he isn't and England win without him.

Posted by mukesh_LOVE.cricket on (August 12, 2012, 8:35 GMT)

KP took the right decision if you ask me , i mean ,as a cricket fan i wont be happy if the best batsman in India decides to skip a test series to play in a domestic T20 tournament of some other country

Posted by IndiaNumeroUno on (August 12, 2012, 7:58 GMT)

IPL is here to stay. They don't need to compromise any window. The other boards need to sort out their own issues and stop trying to blame IPL and BCCI for everything!

Posted by IndiaNumeroUno on (August 12, 2012, 7:53 GMT)

Poor guy, pushed into a corner by the ECB... they probably are too jealous of someone being actually able to make some money for the betterment of their families! Shame on ECB.

Posted by Game_Gazer on (August 12, 2012, 7:50 GMT)

his tone is so genuine in its commitment & passion to play for and be associated to England team. I don't think he's acting. and, as long as his team forgives & welcomes him genuinely sportingly, guess we will hear of more amazing successes for him & England is going to be full of wonderful successes !! good luck England !!

Posted by Meety on (August 12, 2012, 7:46 GMT)

People are allowed to make mistakes & correct them, as KP has done. That being said, I dunno if I really believe him, also, other than the timing, I don't know he's done anything to his teammates. Some of his gripes were legitimate - ECB press leaks.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 7:31 GMT)

Arm twisting or no arm twisting the good news for all the English fans and all cricket fans is that such a talented player will be available for international cricket.It would have been such a pity if he would have retired at this point with at least 6 years of international cricket left in him all for 1 private T-20 league.Cricket today needs him as there will be a huge void left if he and other great players like him quit the game at this point.With the World T-20 coming up in Sept. his focus should be now on defending their title if he is selected in the team.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 7:31 GMT)

KP is not to be blamed for all the saga. I blame all these T20 leagues, particularly IPL which has caused much damage to the game by mass commercialization. International cricket used to gentle man's game offering enough fringe benefits to the players. It still offers the same but now due to leagues like IPL, players tend to get greedy and prefer money over their country. It great that KP realized that.

Posted by rahulcricket007 on (August 12, 2012, 7:30 GMT)

I M QUITE SURE THAT KP WILL NOT REMAIN QUITE FOR LONG . I THINK AFTER A FEW MONTHS HE WILL AGAIN PUT SOME DEMANDS . FOR ENGLAND THAT 'S A GOOD NEWS . AT LEAST NOW THEY CAN HAVE SOMEONE WHO CAN HIT BIG IN SRILANKAN PITCHES IN T20 WC (IF ECB SELECTS HIM ) .

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 7:18 GMT)

I would love to see pietersen in the T20 WC.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 6:52 GMT)

Agree with Arvind Pai. ECB strong arm tactics. ECB deliberately releasing private KP comments to damage him is beyond bringing the game into disrepute. Makes one sick. KP is cornered because the mob believes all the rubbish said about him. He's just an ordinary guy trying to do what's best for his family. Don't you just love the critics jumping on KP's back for wanting to play in the IPL for a bit of financial gain - what did the English (and other) players that went on the rebel tours of South Africa go for - love of racial discrimination? Patriotism? Players have limited careers which they need to manage...

Posted by peter4135 on (August 12, 2012, 6:11 GMT)

@ landl47..what good young players are you talking about? That is why the ECB couldn't drop KP cause there is no backup...Thank goodness his not playing for SA

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 6:05 GMT)

i hate the kind of players who just loves to be under the limelight :@

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 5:49 GMT)

ECB's arm-twisting tactics have finally worked. Now would they also apologise for unnecessarily making KP's private comments public? Maybe not.

Posted by 200ondebut on (August 12, 2012, 5:36 GMT)

What a legend! It good to have the greatest entertainer back in all formats.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 5:35 GMT)

"commited 2 play 4 england....love 2 play 4 england" so what's d fuss all about???

Posted by gsamiru on (August 12, 2012, 5:30 GMT)

finally, some sort of a good news for world cricket ........... :)

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 5:21 GMT)

Wow KP's back for ODI's and T20s!!

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 4:46 GMT)

Oh look, he was worried about not being in the limelight any more, and not having the adoration of the public. I suspected last weeks stunt was just that - an attempt to put pressure on the ECB. Let's wait and see what he actually does in the future.

Posted by AndrewFromOz on (August 12, 2012, 4:38 GMT)

If the ECB believe all that then I have a bridge to sell they might like to buy...

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (August 12, 2012, 4:20 GMT)

Lots of non-eng supporters on here (why ARE they here?!) must be crying into their over cold thin small glass lagers, they can now also have a sour grapes chaser... Well played KP, and well played the Eng teamate... Another ton @ Lord's and another couple of double tons v the glass jawed aussies next year.. Fill your boots.

Posted by landl47 on (August 12, 2012, 4:16 GMT)

All those who were criticizing the ECB (you know who you are) for not giving in to Pietersen's demands now have egg on their faces, I'm glad Pietersen appears to have seen the light; if it turns out that he does another about-turn in the future, I hope the ECB will continue to be resolute. England can use him for the next couple of years; after that, the large number of good young players in England will make it unnecessary to retain him and he can go and play kiddie cricket in India. It's fortunate that England have young stars like Root, Bairstow, Woakes and Kerrigan coming along to join what is already a good young side with Cook, Taylor, Bresnan, Broad and Finn all 27 or under. No other country has even close to the young talent that is coming through in England, so KP had better look to his laurels or he will be on the outside looking in. He seems to have realized that just in time.

Posted by Sinhaya on (August 12, 2012, 4:14 GMT)

Excellent news indeed and so relieved.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 4:05 GMT)

Is is just me or others also think that it seems KP's talking to a mirror...

Posted by abhay8157 on (August 12, 2012, 4:05 GMT)

What a Joker... Ladies and Gentlemen... The Afridi of England !!!

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 4:04 GMT)

KP does the Afridi. He does not sound convincing when he says its all about money. It sounded more like he rehearsed the lines few times before the interview. It seems obvious that behind closed doors the ECB has offered KP financial incentives to come out retirement. Of course, the deal is that he and ECB never say a word about the deal...

Posted by Kirk-at-Lords on (August 12, 2012, 3:54 GMT)

@ Nutcutlet: With you mate, on offering a big thanks to the unnamed English player who acted as counselor to KP and quite possibly also acted as a mediator between KP & ECB. If all goes well, that man's name (and any others involved) will remain confidential, because they are likely tol be needed again in future. KP will always be who he is, and that means mercurial with a capital M. That is not a criticism. Very few can be simultaneously as great and as stoic as fellow South African Jacques Kallis, who may someday be recognised as the greatest of all-rounders. Even Dravid the Wall had his foundations shaken while being captain. For KP to be KP, it will take some serious and seriously steady man management. The onus is really on the ECB to play an effective long game to get KP to give his best to England for the next 3 or 4 years, and go out on a high note that will please everyone. The way things look now, England will need to do some serious re-jigging to go back top in Tests.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 3:32 GMT)

lol...he is a twin brother of afridi,they forget wht they say in press nd always make joke of themselve !!

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 3:27 GMT)

The funniest thing I've ever heard that IPL is a massive academy for young and experienced players as he was giving an example of rahul dravid tips I'm amazed to see how opponents teach each other and share their techniques either cricket is the foolish game, or he thinks that spectators are fool. Besides that this interview clearly shows that he is now hungry to earn more. I would like to as him a C class cricket player earns much more than an engineer. How about international ones?

Posted by WalterHP on (August 12, 2012, 3:27 GMT)

Just one more reason for the Saffers to humiliate England....again

Posted by china_cricket on (August 12, 2012, 3:09 GMT)

As a counterpoint to Jose. Many sportspeople with outrageous natural talent also have their inner demons or problems with team-mates and authority. Paul Gascoigne, Ian Botham, Dozy Freddie Flintoff, Mario Balotelli, John McEnroe, George Best and Michael Phelps spring to mind immediately (any female stars anyone, or is it just the men who succumb to the red mist?).

These quirks, flare-ups and misdemeanours are often embarrassing, annoying, hilarious or difficult to understand, but it's possible they are a part of what makes these people who they are.

I'm going along for the KP ride, red mists and tantrums all inclusive. I'm just waiting to suck in another big breath when he booms the world's premier fast bowler straight back over his head to the boundary.

Posted by P.Ghosh on (August 12, 2012, 3:06 GMT)

Pietersen should get a chance to play in all version of cricket. Because he is not only a player of England but a cricketer. And a hitting player like him is needed for cricket for it's sake. Because cricket is a joy. Pietersen has the ability to give joy with his batting. So come back Pietersen. For cricket, for the viewers like us we gets joy by watching your batting. ECB please give Pietersen the chance to play in all version.

Posted by RandyOZ on (August 12, 2012, 3:01 GMT)

This is what happens when you poach people from our countries, their dedication just isn't there. The talent is frightfully thin in England, we all know that, but I'd try and start at grass roots level rather than go and poach.

Posted by k.mithilesh on (August 12, 2012, 2:55 GMT)

As insipid as his batsmanship is dazzling..

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 2:47 GMT)

KP better get his priorities right and stop his standoff with the board of retirements from any forms of the game. He either wants to play or doesn't. It's the ECB way and not his way. Pity this is not a five test series.

Posted by Notout10 on (August 12, 2012, 2:43 GMT)

Excellent news for world cricket, we need to see the best players playing at the highest level. The highest level being test cricket.Importantly KP's mother is English, which makes him half English,that being the best part, not pure Safa.The IPL is a monster that should not be getting in the way of the test arena. Unfortunately, that is happening at the start of the English test season. Who care's about the IPL,outside of India. A compromise in scheduling is required to allow a window between the IPL and the start of the English test season, so NZ, Sri Lanka et al, can play tests at full strength. The game of cricket needs due care and attention if it is to survive, the administrators need to understand this when they are organising FTP programmes around these stupid 20/20 competitions.

Posted by ptal3 on (August 12, 2012, 2:40 GMT)

@jezzastyles: If ICC makes a window for IPL, pretty soon they'll be asked to create a wiindow for SLPL and BBL. That we we will end up with no Intl cricket at all. The only way I see it is for ICC to start its own glabal league. The profit will be shared with all participating boards. It willd be held in a different country every year. But why will BCCI support that?

Posted by jmcilhinney on (August 12, 2012, 2:32 GMT)

@kumarcoolbuddy on (August 11 2012, 22:02 PM GMT), you say "no offence" but I'm afraid that your comment is offensive. Lot's of people like to make such comments based on assumptions rather than actually learning some facts. Kevin Pietersen actually approached Nasser Hussain in the England dressing room when England were playing a tour match in SA and asked if he would help him to play cricket in England and was turned down. Pietersen obviously didn't give up and did what he needed to do to qualify but he was the instigator. There was no recruiting or poaching. The ECB have actually made it harder for overseas players to play in and for England but they are constrained somewhat by ICC regulations and international law. It's not England's fault that lots of people from other countries want to live and play cricket their. Eoin Morgan, for instance, was already playing county cricket and wanted to play Test cricket. If he did it within the rules then the ECB has no right to say no.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (August 12, 2012, 2:27 GMT)

I could understand a bit of resentment towards KP in the dressing room for being the epicentre of this whole affair that has undoubtedly made it difficult for the team to concentrate on the job at hand. That said, I don't think that it's all KP's fault. The press conference after the second Test was an example where he repeatedly said that he didn't want to talk about it but what hounded into doing so by the journalists present. He probably should have just said "ask me about the match or I'm out of here" but he is an emotional person and it's not too surprising that he was worn down. I just hope that everyone can just wipe the slate clean and get on with playing cricket. It sounds like KP has at least one advocate in the dressing room so that should make things a bit easier. I'd also like to think that the ECB could be magnanimous and, now that KP has said that he'll tow the line, perhaps give a little ground themselves. Not necessarily too much, but a gesture at least.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 2:23 GMT)

A simple "I'm sorry" would have been great...never apologized! Just rambled on about pressure, sorting things out, blah, blah blah...

Posted by smudgemax on (August 12, 2012, 1:57 GMT)

He has finally realised where his bread is buttered. He wanted to have his cake and eat it, but I reckon the England management had enough, maybe even refused to select him for the final test. Without England he loses all fame, attention, and critical acclaim. He may want to play more IPL but without international cricket he would never have got recognition and his legacy would not have been as an England and cricket great but merely a good player who didn't fulfill all he could be. I think the reality of the situation finally hit home to him. As an England fan (and cricket fan), whatever he has done, I am glad to have him back.

Posted by agent001 on (August 12, 2012, 1:43 GMT)

Hats off to the ECB for showing KP the door first and with KP letting go of IPL in favor of playing for England probably will let him in with this 2:30 PM announcement instead of 9:30 AM. No one is bigger than the team as Gayle may have found out while in wilderness.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 1:22 GMT)

Sick of this guy's shenanigans.. Hope ENG drop him and SA to win the series 2 nil.. Proteas > ENG

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 1:15 GMT)

This guy is smarter than Chris Gayle. He realized the need to retract his comments much, very much, faster than Gayle Vs his Board. Smart calculative cookie, to realize that his career is almost over, but for the retraction. As simple as that. The author is giving undue credit to Flower's statesmanship.

Posted by Rahulbose on (August 12, 2012, 1:07 GMT)

His previous comments were obviously a negotiation tactic that blew in his face. What is more interesting is ECB are fine with keeping him in the squad, they lost a good chance of get rid of KP. I would bet 6 months to 1 year and KP will be back making special IPL demands, or some other form of "I am bigger than the team" tantrums.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 1:05 GMT)

I had been a lover of English cricket for more than half a century. England had GENTLEMEN superstars like Peter May, Colin Cowdry, Ramon Subbarow... and many more. Even the fiery Freddie Truman was a perfect gentleman. Where is this self-seeking, narcissist, disruptive, mercenary run-away from Natal, South Africa... and where were those epitome of gentle-manliness. Incidentally all imports were not this bad. Import in a significant way started with the great D'Olivera- a perfect gentleman from KP's own country. Grey characters (believe me, of course great cricketers), from the same country stared getting into the English team, gradually. Tony Greig was the turning point (for the worse) in my judgement. But, no one can beat this guy! Tony, you look an Angle in contrast!

Posted by JB77 on (August 12, 2012, 0:46 GMT)

Look who's come crawling back....

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 0:46 GMT)

The more IPL and 20-20s you play, the worse your patience style test match batting becomes. It's time all Boards had the courage to tell their teams, No, we can only have a festival of cricket every 3 years at best. Well done, ECB.

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 0:39 GMT)

A genius with full of stupidity.... Thank God KP is not a Judge, his decisions are as unpredictable as his switch hit shot....

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 0:23 GMT)

Drama or show off or what?? Feeling pity on this poor chap and ECB :p

Posted by   on (August 12, 2012, 0:21 GMT)

"I have a young family and I am the provider"... It is still a matter of money, honey. Clubs may come, clubs may go. So is the case of franchises. Basic economics of the franchises in some of the lucrative premier leagues is JUST not viable in the long run. You need a country to play for. Among the countries, Austarlia and England are the best paymasters. Australia will not touch KP with a barge-pole. Can't go back to SA, since you kicked yourself out of Natal ( and through that act (SA), in a huff. That just leaves you with England. And it is the performances for England, which makes his Brand/money worth for franchises around the world. Just at the nick of time, he realised that he is going to throw all of it (money, honey) away. But mark my word; his disruptive ways within the team will continue. It's his just his nature. It's just a matter of time.

Posted by T.H.Farooqi on (August 12, 2012, 0:20 GMT)

Thanks God,K.P you save the Game of cricket known as Gentleman game.

Posted by sams235 on (August 12, 2012, 0:20 GMT)

He is one big 'd r a m a q u e e n'

Posted by Manush on (August 12, 2012, 0:16 GMT)

Welcome news for Cricket lovers and supporters of English Cricket. Let good sense prevail everywhere and stay for a while !!! Now Kevin should put a plaster over his mouth and avoid media meeting for now !!! Concentrate on the game

Posted by Clyde on (August 12, 2012, 0:07 GMT)

As I said, without missing a beat. Which is basically what Boycott said.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 23:54 GMT)

god dammit! was hoping the world of cricket was going to return to a more level playing field with the Saffer retiring from international cricket once and for all. without him in the England team, the world's best team would be 2-0 up by now. England are only the #1 rated team by virtue of their 8 Saffers (4 in the test team and another 4 in the ODI formats).

Posted by jezzastyles on (August 11, 2012, 23:44 GMT)

All of this nonsense on the eve of the 3rd test and with the #1 ranking up for grabs, and KP does an about-face and capitulates?? Didn't think you were a quitter, KP. Should have stuck to your guns if you thought you were right - international cricketers should be able to play IPL each & every season, the ICC should be sorting out international schedules with all boards to work there way around it. Now this whole saga has just been a massive distraction for nothing at all. SA must be loving this.

Posted by phoenixsteve on (August 11, 2012, 23:43 GMT)

Great news for England and good news for KP. I am impressed by his U-Turn and really hope he continues to pound the South Africans on Thursday. Against such talented opposition England could little afford any distraction and that of argueably their top player even more so! Thank you KP and may the cricketing Gods keep shining on you and the England team. Roll on Lords...... COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 23:39 GMT)

Admire or hate him we've had it all now haven't we? There is one word for Pietersen and he's FULL of it!!

Posted by Swingit on (August 11, 2012, 23:32 GMT)

HAHAHA the clown genius I call KP. He may act like a clown but he knows exactly what he is doing. No way KP was gonna get left out in the cold for 18 months over a protracted ego battle with his cricket board as Gayle did. You see what your buddy did Chris? He may stoke u but no way was he putting his career on the line as you did. Frankly CG has way more integrity that KP, but KP us just much more shroud. Anyway they should now forgive and forget and welcome KP back like the WICB did with CG. If your star tries to make amends he gives the board the slightest of openings to save face and they gotta jump at the chance. We all want to see KP play for England in the world T20 or else it will be a borefest dominated by the Windies and their dream team. Now please this you have to publish cricinfo.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 23:32 GMT)

wonder who the team mate was?

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 23:30 GMT)

Hate it when theses sports starts bang on about needing to think about financial support and their families in the future, as if it only apply to them. We ALL are in the same boat!!!

Posted by 4cricketluv on (August 11, 2012, 23:12 GMT)

@ kumarcoolbuddy, it is not a question of "such people" but of certain people. Numerous sportsmen and women have left South Africa and silently got on with their jobs and performed for their adopted countries. They fit in, become real team players and do not attract too much (negative) attention to themselves. Jonathan Trott in the England team is a perfect example, Kruger van Wyk in the New Zealand team is another, getting on with the job. After Neil Wagner also made noises about the reasons he left South Africa (quota system), he has since backed down and recognised that he was up against a group of very good players for selection in the SA national side. Van Wyk even admitted that he he was not good enough for inclusion in a SA team. "Such people" as you call them, find/get the country rather the country find/get them. Neil Wagner went to England first and then tried New Zealand where he eventually worked his way (deservedly so) into the NZ national side. Is it a numbers game?

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 23:00 GMT)

At last a good decision and every one needs to learn from it.Playing for your country should be the first priority for any player.All other local leagues should not be allowed to dominate over playing for country

Posted by Nutcutlet on (August 11, 2012, 22:59 GMT)

@kumarcoolbuddy: please look up KP on Wikipedia. Your questions about KP & how he came to England to play cricket will be answered in full. England does not 'go looking for players' - there are players, who, if qualified to play for England, come to England, entirely voluntarily, without inducements, to play for England because they want to. England is a very popular place for many people from all over the world - thus we have a multi-ethnic community - as you'll have noticed from watching the Olympic Games; it is one of our great strengths as a nation. You really need to understand this instead of lobbing bricks at England, inoffensive or not! BW

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 22:54 GMT)

It takes a big man to back down from confrontation, and I applaud KP for that. As far as I am concerned he's been a fantastic servant to the England cricket team, and despite being rather highly strung, he's definitely worth the agro.

More importantly, the point that George keeps making in his articles and on the switch hit is valid. In the long run the ECB need to sort out this IPL issue, and if KP has ruffled some feathers to wake them up to that fact, then I think that's good. Hopefully this whole saga is in the long term interests of the England team. Just so long as the ECB does not rest on its laurels thinking that it's "won"...

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 22:53 GMT)

Great news for international cricket!

Posted by MartinC on (August 11, 2012, 22:43 GMT)

So it sounds to me like the ECB called Pietersens bluff and told him he was being dropped from the Test side for the 3rd Test. Cue immediate about face by Pietersen - his commercial value (incluidng his IPL value) comes from his profile in International cricket, without any International and probably domestic Cricket his value would soon drop.

His option was to become only a travelling independent 20/20 player or commit to the full England programme. He saw sense.

Well done ECB - though I suspect this is not yet over.

Posted by battingaboveyouraverage on (August 11, 2012, 22:38 GMT)

Lol, so that's what it's really all about. KP wanted a full season of IPL and ECB said no way. Oh, I know let's play the Stanford T20 cup where it's backed by a ponzi scheme and while your playing cricket your wives are sitting with Stanford or is that sitting on his lap! The ECB have been burned and they don't want any English international players in the IPL. I agree that IPL can be too much and the English cricket season starts in April, but surely having a bit of exposure to sub continent conditions will help. I'm happy I'll be seeing KP, it's just not cricket without him. SA No 1 test team Strauss to resign captaincy. Lol.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 22:29 GMT)

Love or hate.....he is exceptional when it comes to playing genuine fast bowlers on seaming tracks.....he is an amazing talent......he played McGrath, Warne, Lee and Steyn unlike most.....apart from Asif and Akthar he has dominated everybody else......hats off to you KP Amazing talent........beautiful to watch....thunderous when in full swing....

Posted by scritty on (August 11, 2012, 22:20 GMT)

Let's be fair. Pietersen plays for England until the next workd cup (and 3 stupidly scheduled ashes series) are over and THEN quits. He'll be 35/36 then and still have between 2 and 4 years left to play IPL and all the other world T20 league games he wants. As for IPL - as soon as it means "international cricket league" (which can take place in India if that is best) the better. While it is a domestic competition where 40% of the players really aren't very good at all, it should not take any prescidence over international cricket. Outside the Indian national team players and the overseas stars, the rest of the players are generally really pretty darn poor. That's not a good advert for the skills of cricket, just an advert for superstar posing and dancing girls.

Posted by sirvivfan on (August 11, 2012, 22:19 GMT)

Now he will fail in the 3rd test.....self created pressure. If he does then things will start again. Now should ECB forgive him after the post match out burst! Just imagine Strauss and other team members who are not so keen for KP inclusion. In any other job, he would be reprimanded.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 22:18 GMT)

India and IPL : A BIG BOOOOOOOO, Hats off KP, Every 1 should follow this, Nation first, other crapy things next.... :))))) happy...

Posted by Nutcutlet on (August 11, 2012, 22:08 GMT)

A message to whoever has listened to KP in this last few days, who has asked him the right questions; who has held up a mirror to his psyche & allowed Kevin Pietersen at last to see & understand a clear image of himself - a huge & heartfelt thank you from cricket supporters in England & everywhere. It takes a man, a real man, to say that I was unwise, that I was not seeing things clearly & that I was in a state of turmoil - I retract all that I have said. Now, please can we move on. Right now, I have more respect for him than I ever have had before - and I feel that when he puts his head on his pillow this Saturday night that he will rest more easily than he has for a long, long time. I cannot see how anyone who has an ounce of empathy can say or think anything different. We were always with you, KP, we just wondered whether you were with us. We are mighty relieved to know that you are.

Posted by kumarcoolbuddy on (August 11, 2012, 22:02 GMT)

Why can't ENG get it's own players instead of going for other countries like SA? Is this not the problem if you get such people? No offense but just practical thought.

Posted by 4cricketluv on (August 11, 2012, 21:59 GMT)

Looking and listening to Kevin Pietesen's antics since he left South Africa to play for England, I am sure the South African cricket fraternity and public is mighty glad he left. It is difficult to respect someone who is like a yo-yo all the time wanting his way most of the time at the cost of the team. He is not an English cricketer, he is a frustrated, disgruntled South African cricket player! Why don't we hear about Jonathan Trott, Kieswetter, van Wyk (New Zealand) all the time? They are happy with themselves.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:50 GMT)

Why no one is talking about Boycott's self exile from test through dispute or Kerry packer circus.

Why no one blames ECB for leaking confidential information? I love KP no matter what. We pick on him only as a South African and leave the others alone why? Main reason for all thye trouble is the cricket writers and interviewers stiring it up. I am sure even now a deal would have been struct. Hope it remains secret for years. Without KP playing we would have lost lot of fans and I was prepared to cancel my sky subscription.

KP is a genius. All such people going to act in strange ways. We need to under stand that. See Ronnie saying far too much snooker. Tennis players don't last long due to heavy schedules. I wonder if IPL offered ECB members $2m each where would they be. Be realistic money matters. If only Country matters why our solders are not looked after. Like any form of employment we should offer 28 working days holidays when they want to. Then all cricketers have a choice.

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (August 11, 2012, 21:42 GMT)

ECB 1 - 0 IPL...but am taking all this new attitude with a grain of salt. As soon as he's achieved what he wanted on the field, he's bolting for a couple of years in the IPL before retiring just like the Warne, Gilchrist, etc

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (August 11, 2012, 21:37 GMT)

Not too surprised and Boycott said he was sure he would be playing too in a post match interview I do believe. What KP did was a bit brave though, cause he runs the risk of looking a bit silly.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (August 11, 2012, 21:35 GMT)

Wouldn't it be ironic if he was benched! Highly unlikely though. If we're perfectly honest, we need an in form KP playing in this final test with SA to stand any chance of victory. Gold medal to KP for attention seeking syndrome, with possibly a few world-records for posts/comments about him in articles...

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:26 GMT)

KP is temperamental. I do not believe KP at all and I do not think that the selectors are going to fall for that one. If they do, they going to have egg on their faces before long. KP has just proven what a smooth driver he is, making a uturn on one wheel so to speak. And the dressing-room matter "will not be resolved". Time will tell! Good luck to KP and England, if I am proven wrong.

Posted by 12thUmpire on (August 11, 2012, 21:19 GMT)

It's one thing to sign-up for IPL. Actually getting paid the contract money could be another! I'm sure KP would have seen the news of players still awaiting their pay. Smart, isn't he about being "remorseful"?

Posted by Tlotoxl on (August 11, 2012, 21:18 GMT)

Good man. Good to see him commit unconditionally to England but I think the ECB do seriously need to think about having a little bit of flexibility with regard to the IPL and resting - there is still the issue of overwork, KP has played more international cricket than anybody else other than Dhoni.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:18 GMT)

DEFINITELY NOT GAYLE-LIKE ATTITUDE FROM KEVIN...what's the matter with him, who doesn't want a year long with their board?

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:18 GMT)

this is all gimic. he will find something to fight about soon.or is this all a publicity stunt?

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:18 GMT)

Pietersen is the new PONKA

Posted by tigers_eye on (August 11, 2012, 21:12 GMT)

When he saw England can easily move on without him... tucks his tail, falls in line.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:09 GMT)

KP acts like a spoil baby. We won't be having this conversation if he didn't make that score of 149. He would have been dropped like a hot sack of potatoes. England should not select him for the World Cup. They should teach him a lesson of "Think before you act."

Posted by mus_tard on (August 11, 2012, 21:06 GMT)

soundin like Pietersen in he period

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:01 GMT)

@Nirmal you are right.i couldn't have imagined anyone being worse than Afridi,but it seems we have a candidate in KP.I just hope its the end of the issue.simply sick of it.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 21:00 GMT)

How tables turn! KP who was planning a major coups d'├ętat, has submitted to ECB!! This is a major reversal, if there was ever one. Lets see how the ego of KP digests this.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 11, 2012, 20:59 GMT)

Have to say I saw the interview and KP comes across very well. I'm wondering if some senior pros have been advising him - someone like Dravid? Anyway this is fantastic news as although most England fans backed ECB in their stance I'm sure we'd want KP to remain an England player esp in the shorter formats. Now I really hope ECB will add KP to the T20 final squad. The thing with IPL is that KP can still do some years when he's retired as there seem to be a number of retired players who do the IPL.

Posted by Udoy on (August 11, 2012, 20:54 GMT)

Sorry tale of a very talented player managed in the worst possible way...

Posted by CaptainKool on (August 11, 2012, 20:53 GMT)

KP is back for England. It is good to see that he loves IPL and his franchise. His respect for IPL is appreciable. I would love to see him in World T20.

Posted by duncanmoo on (August 11, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

It blows me away that people will still post things like "I love KP" and "The current best batsman in the world"! after the stuff he has pulled in the past week and at other times, blows my mind.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 20:40 GMT)

Guess who must have heard on the grapevine that he won't be listed for the IPL? Oops - quick back-pedal....! Sorry, he may be able to set the world alight but he's a team player too. So get off your soap box KP; accept your place in the team and while you're at it, help others less gifted to play better.

Posted by sonicattack on (August 11, 2012, 20:38 GMT)

Excellent news, well done KP, there's always the IPL in a few years time when you REALLY retire from Test Cricket (as Warne, Gilchrist etc have done)

Posted by crindo77 on (August 11, 2012, 20:36 GMT)

Glad to see him back to rescue England; much ado about nothing.

Posted by Shrekk on (August 11, 2012, 20:34 GMT)

He took seriously to that slogan 'Be afridi, be very afridi'!

Posted by asiacricket1234 on (August 11, 2012, 20:32 GMT)

Aww.... Remind me of my naughty little brother. Takes time but does come in line.

Posted by johnathonjosephs on (August 11, 2012, 20:30 GMT)

Thank god that common sense and cricket have prevailed. Other boards need to have this policy against those who choose IPL games over national duty. There is a new enemy to cricket and it isn't spot fixing or UDRS: Its Money, the root of all evil. The IPL is tempting many cricketers around the world with monthly salaries that some players wouldn't make in 10 years. It is making players change their priorities of country first and putting their own selfish needs for money above their nation. If something is not done soon, people will be playing cricket for money, not the love of the sport

Posted by jackthelad on (August 11, 2012, 20:29 GMT)

'I love playing for England. Playing for England gives me the opportunity to be picked for Delhi.' (Pietersen, 17 Feb 2012 on this very site). All that has changed is that he's suddenly been made aware that if he isn't playing for England, his value in the IPL goes down the pan in pretty short order, and that his own overconfident arrogance had very nearly lost him even his Test place. He's a class batsman (when he's got something to prove) but in the longer term I think England would be better without him.

Posted by Alexk400 on (August 11, 2012, 20:29 GMT)

I think he should play for england...because he need to represent a country. Without England he would n't be in IPL, So it is good he decide to play for England in all formats. Hope some common sense prevails. His about turn is expected because he try to test ECB limits and ECB try to show him the DOOR, so he did about turn and saved his career

Posted by yorkslanka on (August 11, 2012, 20:27 GMT)

i do, i dont, i do, i dont...come on make your mind up...

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 20:26 GMT)

Personally I am thoroughly sick of the KP side show.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 20:26 GMT)

I wonder if he thinks that saying "I want to play for England" a million times will make it true. He claims to be happy for Strauss, yet he spoke of him in such a derisive way in the last press conference. The guy needs to get a grip, it's sad to see such a talented player make such an utter fool of himself. This is the difference between players like KP, Ganguly and guys like Dravid, Tendulkar, Kallis etc.

Posted by Sakthiivel on (August 11, 2012, 20:25 GMT)

He will surely play full IPL next year. ECB cant stop him. He have one whole year to go.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 20:21 GMT)

You all need to chill. Kevin is the best there is in cricket and he has admitted to his mistakes. We need to give him a break. I have watched his interviews and he is sincere in his views. You may not always agree with him and that is okay but Kevin is human and he says that the wants to play for England. Let us show him some understanding. Now Steyn is running into to bowl to Pieterson, fast and furious, and Pieterson squares up to play a defensive shot but halfway he changes his mind and imperiously hits Steyn for another six. That's worth the entrance fee! Good luck Kevin.

Posted by citizenkc on (August 11, 2012, 20:20 GMT)

One thing KP can do is hire himself a writer. This is most garbled gobbledygook that I have heard in a long time. It is full of contradictions, terribly constructed sentences, and absurd proclamations. What is he on? Gosh, the whole world isn't about me. I have just realized this at age 32! Come on, KP. Grow up. It's a privilege to play for your country, and these days you make a lot of money doing that, so just act like a grown-up/

Posted by sysubrceq0 on (August 11, 2012, 20:09 GMT)

When is the next retirement KP?

Posted by bilal_bilal on (August 11, 2012, 20:06 GMT)

Right move! But i feel his problems are not just gonna go away. He has had problems with every team he has played in except IPL. I think he should still be dropped from last test as he will be a distraction for rest of his side. After the test he should sit down with management & resolve issues. He can still play WT20 if ECB asks for special permission from ICC on basis of special circumstances

Posted by wnwn on (August 11, 2012, 20:05 GMT)

Excellent decision. The IPL will still be around in 4 years time so you can make your $2 million per year but first get 10,000 runs and become a test great.

Posted by djdrastic on (August 11, 2012, 20:03 GMT)

We need a page on cricinfo just dedicated to Kevin Pietersens' decisions regarding representing the England cricket side updated on a minute to minute basis.

Posted by TheSachinGod on (August 11, 2012, 20:01 GMT)

I didn't know cricket has turned into Bollywood. So much drama and acting these days!!!

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 20:00 GMT)

He is just lucky he doesn't play for the West Indies. he would have been dropped and in cricket hell for two years. That is the difference between people who understand player management and ego management. There will always be great players whose abilities and egos that will press management to have their way, because they have the leverage that other players don't.

Posted by Ryan_H on (August 11, 2012, 19:59 GMT)

Wow! Now, I rate him right up there with Shahid Afridi. What a man!

Posted by SurlyCynic on (August 11, 2012, 19:58 GMT)

What a soap opera. One has to laugh at English cricket and their squabbles with their mercenaries.

Posted by premclement on (August 11, 2012, 19:56 GMT)

Something is fishy here. I am sure IPL won't miss him. There are many other star players who can keep the Indian crowd happy though. Sorry KP.

Posted by premclement on (August 11, 2012, 19:55 GMT)

Something is fishy here.

Posted by fr600 on (August 11, 2012, 19:54 GMT)

The current best batsman in the world. Glad to see him back.

Posted by Puffin on (August 11, 2012, 19:54 GMT)

Comon KP sort yourself out. Cricket deserves better than this tomfoolery.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:53 GMT)

Young players should get chance in t20 world cup rather than this rude person

Posted by The_bowlers_Holding on (August 11, 2012, 19:50 GMT)

Well I did not expect that well done Kevin it looks like common sense has prevailed, I respect him for that.

Posted by cricketsportsnews.com on (August 11, 2012, 19:49 GMT)

Did he not say, "I cannot wait for Straussy... last press conference"? Hope this is his last U-turn in his life. I love watching him as a cricketer, I would have thrown him out first day, from my any form of team!

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:48 GMT)

Finally!! I love KP!! Hope to see him rock the T20 World Cup!!!

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:46 GMT)

he seems to be worse than Afridi!! After the test series and world t20 he will again retire!!!!!

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:43 GMT)

It seems the path is all set for SA to go 2-0 up ......

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:42 GMT)

Yes! Chuffed that KP has done the right thing and has been the bigger man. He is one of England's greatest ever and we will be a welcome sight in an England shirt for years to come.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:42 GMT)

Brilliant, well done KP!

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:40 GMT)

Great news for England, and a genuinely humble man being interviewed.

Posted by pandeypank on (August 11, 2012, 19:39 GMT)

I always loved his game and its the best decision for cricket and cricket lovers

Posted by pom_don on (August 11, 2012, 19:38 GMT)

Let's hope this is the end of Pietersengate for once & all & I now hope that one & all can just get on & play some cricket.....I for one just enjoy watching England & really couldn't give a hoot if we are ranked No1 or not, all I want to see is some good competitive cricket from England with everyone giving 100%.....let's hope that is what Thursday brings.....hoping for a win.

Posted by Munkeymomo on (August 11, 2012, 19:38 GMT)

I'm very happy to hear that KP will be playing for England still and I really hope he can still play in the T20 world cup, though that seems unlikely thanks to a short sighted and stubborn decision by the ECB. Still a bit concerned about what happened over the last few weeks, either KP is a bit paranoid or he is right. The ECB should leave a window for the IPL or this could happen again, what's to say that if the IPL keeps expanding and players like Buttler/Bairstow get picked up they won't wan't to play in it too, Morgan too. I find the IPL pretty entertaining if I just watch one or two games a week. I like Premier League football but if that was played everyday I would lose interest fast. Shame the IPL cannot be played over a longer period.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:37 GMT)

What an awesome character he Is. Truly an inspiring personality in his video. What a great way to fight your way back in the team under difficult circumstances. Well done KP. Best of Luck for future!

Posted by bumsonseats on (August 11, 2012, 19:34 GMT)

i cannot believe this guy

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:29 GMT)

just getting some publicity.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:28 GMT)

Really great news!!!. Thanks Kevin!!!

Love to see you back in colors

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:26 GMT)

This guy really needs to figure out what he wants... He isnt gonna get an IPL window this way. Plus he could really have timed this better.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:26 GMT)

Wow!! what a twist in the tale

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:24 GMT)

yess yess yessssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!! KP WE LOVE YOU BUD !!!! now break lara record and win de third test bhai

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 19:24 GMT)

Is this guy a joker or what???? Make up your mind KP !

George DobellClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
2nd ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Colombo (RPS)
Nov 29, 2014 (10:00 local | 04:30 GMT | 23:30 EST | 22:30 CST | 20:30 PST)
3rd ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Hambantota
Dec 3, 2014 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST)
4th ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Colombo (RPS)
Dec 7, 2014 (10:00 local | 04:30 GMT | 23:30 EST | 22:30 CST | 20:30 PST)
5th ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Pallekele
Dec 10, 2014 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST)
6th ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Pallekele
Dec 13, 2014 (10:00 local | 04:30 GMT | 23:30 EST | 22:30 CST | 20:30 PST)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »