1867
1966
The Cardiff Arms Hotel which originally stood on the site
7000
No
North Stand, Westgate Street End
Glamorgan
16:45, Wed Oct 17, 2018 (UTC +0100)
Cardiff Arms Park
 

Profile

The land for the Arms Park was donated by the Marquess of Bute in 1867 to the cardiff Cricket Club, and it was to become a major centre for Welsh cricket and rugby. The Cardiff Cricket & Rugby Club (as it later became) developed the land and Glamorgan used the venue when they were a Minor County and then after being granted first-class status in 1921 right through to 1966 when the development of the large rugby ground led to the cricket club relocating to Sophia Gardens. It was never the most attractive of venues, hemmed in on four sides and overshadowed by the rugby grandstand. What old-world charm there was largely disappeared in 1934 when the cricket pavilion was demolished to make way for the two-tier grandstand.
Martin WIlliamson

Latest Articles

Latest Photos

Floodlit cricket at Cardiff Arms Park in 1989
Floodlit cricket at Cardiff Arms Park in 1989
© Glamorgan County Cricket Club
A general view of the Cardiff Arms Park in 1964
A general view of Cardiff Arms Park in 1964
© Playfair Cricket Monthly