Charles Hill-Wood      

Full name Charles Kerrison Hill Hill-Wood

Born June 5, 1907, Hoxne, Suffolk

Died September 21, 1988, Barton-le-Clay, Bedfordshire (aged 81 years 108 days)

Major teams Derbyshire, Europeans (India), Oxford University

Also known as changed name from Charles Kerrison Hill Wood in 1910

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Left-arm fast-medium

Education Eton College; Oxford University

Relation Father - SH Wood, Brother - BSH Hill-Wood, Brother - WWH Hill-Wood, Brother - DJCH Hill-Wood, Nephew - PD Hill-Wood

Batting and fielding averages
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
First-class 58 77 13 1256 72 19.62 0 5 20 0
Bowling averages
Mat Runs Wkts BBI Ave 5w 10
First-class 58 5547 185 7/68 29.98 10 1
Career statistics
First-class span 1928 - 1932

Charles Hill-Wood, who died on September 21, 1988, aged 81, was the last survivor of the four brothers who played for Eton and Derbyshire and variously at Oxford or Cambridge, although only three of them won Blues. Their father, as S. H. Wood, captained Derbyshire at the turn of the century. After two years in the Eton XI, Charles Hill-Wood did little in the Freshman's match in 1927 to displace any of the previous year's bowlers still in residence, but in 1928 he was bowling with appreciable pace and went into the University Match having taken 38 wickets. Left-arm and fast-medium, he bowled with a quite individual action, almost coming off the wrong foot, it seemed, and he made the ball swing into the right-hander. However, he could also cut it away to the slips, and when supported by his field he took a number of wickets this way. At Lord's, he opened the bowling against Cambridge and his brother, Denis, opened the batting; but while his six wickets for 79 in the first innings gave Oxford the chance to keep on equal terms on the first two days, it was his defiant batting on the third evening which saved the match for his side. An hour and three quarter's play remained and Cambridge were seeking the last three Oxford wickets when Hill-Wood, out first ball in the first innings, joined H. M. Garland-Wells. There was still half an hour to go when the last man, Benson, came in, and at seven minutes to seven Hill-Wood, who throughout had played only those balls he had to, survived a high chance to short leg. A few minutes later, the match was safely drawn.

  • Read More