November 30, 2001

ECB praises ICC / BCCI agreement

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) today expressed its delight that an agreement had been reached between the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), and that the forthcoming three-match Test Series between India and England will therefore continue as scheduled.

Lord MacLaurin, ECB Chairman, said, "I am delighted to hear this news. The decision is a victory for common sense and I congratulate both the ICC and BCCI on reaching an agreement. As we have made clear, the ECB has always been fully supportive of the ICC's position throughout this process. The decision will strengthen the ICC's authority and integrity as the world governing body for cricket, but the family of cricket is the real winner. "

Tim Lamb, ECB Chief Executive, said, "This is good news for the millions of cricket followers worldwide and England's supporters. There is huge expectation about the Series and I am delighted that the tour can now proceed as planned, and that the England team can continue their preparations for the first Test in Mohali without any further distractions."