Allen Stanford February 17, 2009

Giles Clarke admits to error of judgement

Cricinfo staff
  shares 5


Before the dream turned into a nightmare: Allen Stanford poses with Giles Clarke and Julian Hunte last June © Getty Images
 
The ECB reacted to the news that Allen Stanford had been charged with fraud in the USA with a statement saying it and the West Indies board had "suspended negotiations with Stanford and his financial corporation concerning a new sponsorship deal".

Speaking to journalists in Antigua, the ECB chairman Giles Clarke admitted that his organisation may have made an error of judgement in getting involved with Stanford, but added that they had done so "with the best of intentions".

"The ECB carried out due diligence prior to making their long-term agreement with Stanford last summer," said Clarke. "He was conducting a banking operation, which, at the time, based on the information from the work that was done, showed no indication that there was anything that could prevent him from paying his obligations. We did what we did because we believed we were doing the right thing to raise funds for West Indies cricket and, indeed, our own game."

England's last dealing with Stanford came in November last year, when they contested and lost the US$20 million 20/20 for 20 in Antigua. The ECB nevertheless earned US$3.5 million as a participation fee, which Clarke insisted had been paid up.

"We have a situation where a court case has been filed," Clarke said. "The matter is therefore sub judice. We also have contractual rights with this particular situation. At the moment, all of the obligations with regard to the game that was played have been met, and all of the various people who were expected to do various things for that match have received their remuneration, as far as I am aware."

However, Clarke has found himself at the receiving end of much criticism, raising questions about the future of his current position as chairman.

This summer, a four-team quadrangular tournament is due to take place at Lord's, with Sri Lanka and New Zealand also expected to feature. "We will clearly consider that situation but, as we have suspended all negotiations, there is a strong possibility that will now not take place," Clarke said.

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • tomjs100 on February 22, 2009, 18:41 GMT

    Clarke and Collyer have to go now. They sold cricket out to a fraudster, and deserve to pay the price. Cricket England may have enjoyed the extra fees that selling out to Stanford and Sky have brought, but Clarke has stolen pleasure from millions, which isn't worth the 30 pieces of silver he picked up for the counties.

    Let's hope he finally has enough sense and dignity to go, because we sure won't miss him.

  • Fury on February 19, 2009, 8:35 GMT

    Anyone who follows the vagaries of the ECB closely could see that Clarke was liable to be a disaster from the outset. But propped up, as he is, by a group of Board members who have the collective consistency of a blancmange, no-one should be the slightest surprised at this current debacle. When Stanford first reared his ugly head the official ECB line should have been: "Beware of Greeks carrying gifts". Instead, it was a case of: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth." As for Clarke's assertion that the projected Stanford riches were outside the ECB's current budgetary process - tell that to the Marines! The current ECB ruling cabal are all equally as culpable and, if Clarke is to go, Collier and Morris should go with him, for a start. It was their collective aim to run English cricket as a 'for profit' corporate enterprise. In that case their 'company limited by guarantee' status should be stripped from them and corporate responsibility should prevail. Let them all walk the plank!

  • Wakeybeancounter on February 18, 2009, 14:31 GMT

    And the best intentions were: get a load of cash regardless,but please spare us the "to raise funds for West Indies cricket".He should resign for that crass remake alone!.

  • Dan-argent on February 18, 2009, 14:21 GMT

    It is indeed time to look to the future...a future where cricket is run by competent officials who put the game of cricket before their self-interest and can spot a fraud when they see one.

  • gudolerhum on February 18, 2009, 13:37 GMT

    What a nerve for Clarke to say that what he did was: "... to raise funds for West Indies cricket ...". That is the most absurd explanation for him crawling along with Stanford's scheme to control West Indies cricket. Just look at the obvious glee on his face as he stands with Stanford and Mr Hunte, another one who should but will not step down! Something else may have been on the agenda. Stanford's reputation has been a well-known "secret" in the Caribbean for decades and the due diligence procedures Clarke required must have been really 'extensive'! LOL.

  • No featured comments at the moment.