|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Shop||Mobile|
October 8, 2012
Jacques Faul, CSA's acting CEO, has voiced his displeasure over the fallout of the Kevin Pietersen saga, with South African players being blamed for playing a role in the controversy. His comments come a day after the ECB chief executive David Collier suggested South African players had provoked Pietersen into the exchange of messages that led to him being dropped earlier this summer.
"I am very disappointed that this has played out in the media," Faul told ESPNcricinfo. "It is absolutely not true that our players provoked Pietersen."
CSA later issued a statement on the issue in which Faul added: "What is particularly disappointing is that I had a face-to-face meeting with Mr Collier when I was in London for the Lord's Test match. He did not raise this allegation with me then and I would have thought as a matter of courtesy and decency he would have spoken to me about it before going public in the media.
"It is not the way CSA goes about its business and it is not the way the ECB have done business with us in the past either. It is very disappointing because in the past our relationships with the ECB have always been cordial and constructive.
"This is an internal ECB matter in which we do not wish to be involved. It served as a distraction to our players that we did not need during the Test series."
Media reports had also suggested that the South African board was pondering legal action over Collier's claims, but a senior CSA official denied any such move.
Collier had said on Sunday that he believed the messages were a South African strategy to unsettle England. "I think there was a tactic which was used," Collier said. "I think that is sadly some of the ways of modern sport."
Last week, the ECB announced a process of "reintegration" for Pietersen following his exile from the team during the summer after it was revealed he had sent provocative messages to the South Africans. Initially it was claimed these included tactical advice on how to dismiss Andrew Strauss although this has since been denied.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
|Comments have now been closed for this article
Both batsmen seemingly have buckets of talent at their disposal and the backing of their captains, but soft dismissals relentlessly follow both around the Test arena
Josh Hazlewood has been on Australian cricket's radar since he was a teenager. The player that made a Test debut at the Gabba was a much-improved version of the tearaway from 2010
In January 2005, Shane Watson made his Test debut. What does he have to show for a decade in the game?
As ever, the West Indies board has taken the short-term view and removed supposedly troublesome players instead of recognising its own incompetence
For the first hour on day three, despite the heat and the largely unhelpful pitch, India's fast bowlers showed a level of intensity and penetration rarely seen from them; in the second hour, things mostly reverted to type
A look at some of cricket's most memorable strokes - and their makers
To consider banning it in the wake of Phillip Hughes' death may be knee-jerk, but to refuse to consider the pros and cons of a ban is unwise
Australia's new captain admirably turned things around for his side in Brisbane, leading in more departments than one