WA XI v EPP, Tour match, Perth, 3rd day December 12, 2013

Bairstow and Ballance work off Ashes frustration

ESPNcricinfo staff

England Performance Programme 2 for 220 dec (Robson 108*, Ballance 89) and 6 for 348 (Bairstow 123, Vince 69) beat Western Australia XI 8 for 319 dec (Armstrong 75, Harris 3-58) and 8 for 248 dec (Armstrong 99, Mills 3-19)

Jonny Bairstow worked off some of his Ashes frustration with a century from the top of the order to set up victory for the England Performance Programme side as they chased down 348 to beat a Western Australia Second XI by four wickets with two overs to spare in Perth.

Bairstow shared a second-wicket stand of 144 with James Vince, who made 69, before falling for 123, but smooth unbeaten forties from Gary Ballance and Varun Chopra completed a heartening victory with 12 deliveries to spare.

It would be highly unusual for a player to be thrust into a Test even though by choice they had not trained with England on the eve of the match but both Ballance, who hit 89 in the first innings, and Bairstow both ended the match clinging to the faint possibility that they could force their way into the Perth Test.

The win represented a successful end to the EPPs' month-long stay in Australia, during which they also drew with a Queensland Second XI in Tim Bresnan's comeback from injury.

Western Australia, 6 for 167 overnight, declared at 8 for 248, James Harris ousting Tom Triffitt for 68 and Tim Armstrong for 99 after they had added 112 for the seventh wicket. Armstrong's departure with his century narrowly missed prompted a declaration as Tymal Mills, the Essex left-arm quick, returned an impressive 3 for 19 from 12 overs, a performance which has even invited unlikely speculation that he could be a Perth wild card even though he is not even in the squad

Bairstow dominated an opening stand of 70 with fellow Yorkshire batsman Alex Lees, who fell to James Boyland for 26. He then raised a 119-ball hundred in a matchwinning stand with James Vince, before he was stumped off former Australia spinner Michael Beer, the home captain.

The EPP survived a mid-innings collapse. Vince succumbed to Armstrong and Jos Buttler to Nathan Rimmington with the score on 234 before Ben Foakes and Moeen Ali went cheaply to Rimmington and Beer respectively.

That brought Ballance and the EPP skipper Chopra together with 85 needed and they held their nerve for 48 and 46 respectively with two overs of 77 remaining.

Ashley Giles, who has been leading the second half of the EPP tour, said: "Firstly the win is a really good win, chasing down 348 on what was a good wicket, but still pressure circumstances against a good side. It was a great way to finish the tour.

"It's also great to have two guys come down from the Test team in Ballance and Bairstow. They firstly produced the goods and they've been great ambassadors for the Test team and for England and they've added to the group."

• on December 17, 2013, 22:00 GMT

Cracks, WACA special? How do you make them, mates? Used a ploughing machine or something? Saw Nathan Lyon hit one of those,ball whizzing off to Warner at Leg Gully?

• ModernUmpiresPlz on December 15, 2013, 16:33 GMT

@Peel The EPP squad was playing the WA 2nd XI, why on earth would Chris Rogers be playing? He currently plays for Victoria.

• Bones87 on December 15, 2013, 15:40 GMT

@PFEL Nope, that's John Rogers, not Chris.

• crickeymate on December 12, 2013, 22:44 GMT

Runs against a very inexperienced attack apart from beer. I am more impressed about armstrongs figures. Although also against a weak attack.

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 21:14 GMT

@Lahori Kaka 12 times in a 4 over spell? That's bad.

• PFEL on December 12, 2013, 20:41 GMT

No one mentioning that Chris Rogers played and made a duck?

• on December 12, 2013, 19:46 GMT

Unfortunately finn will not be picked bcoz of new rule. He hits the stumps every second delievery

• CricketCoachDB on December 12, 2013, 19:22 GMT

Agreed, get Finny in there and tell him to bowl fast! It's nice to hear that Mills is enjoying the Aussie pitches-just shows the difference between them and English pitches. He's one for the future but has a lot of experience to gain before he's considered. As for this game, I'd bring Bairstow and Ballance in for Stokes and Prior and ditch both spinners for Bresnan and Finn.

• CodandChips on December 12, 2013, 17:36 GMT

@Nicholas Mayo "I hope England look to try new players on the West Indies tour"- agree completely. This is wear I'd have rested Jimmy and Pietersen, not the ODIs. Hope Jordan gets a go, as well as Balance, Moeen and Taylor. Wouldn't mind another look at Stokes as well. But there are only 2 tests I think, so it will be interesting to see how we'd fit them in.

Would also pick Finn for next test. My team:1.Cook 2.Carberry 3.Bell 4.Pietersen 5.Root 6.Prior 7.Stokes 8.Broad 9.Swann 10.Finn 11.Rankin, because our attack needs a bit of pace, which Rankin Finn and Stokes offer. But I reckon they'll go with 1.Cook 2.Carberry 3.Root 4.Pietersen 5.Bell 6.Ballance 7.Prior 8.Bresnan 9.Broad 10.Swann 11.Anderson.

No scorecard for this match?

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 16:56 GMT

@Nicholas Mayo If I were Alistair Cook, I would pick Steve Finn in an all-seam attack and tell him two things:

(1) You can have your head. You will not bowl more than 4 overs in a spell, so don't hold back.

(2) I don't care if you go for runs, provided that you take some wickets.

• on December 17, 2013, 22:00 GMT

• ModernUmpiresPlz on December 15, 2013, 16:33 GMT

• Bones87 on December 15, 2013, 15:40 GMT

@PFEL Nope, that's John Rogers, not Chris.

• crickeymate on December 12, 2013, 22:44 GMT

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 21:14 GMT

@Lahori Kaka 12 times in a 4 over spell? That's bad.

• PFEL on December 12, 2013, 20:41 GMT

No one mentioning that Chris Rogers played and made a duck?

• on December 12, 2013, 19:46 GMT

• CricketCoachDB on December 12, 2013, 19:22 GMT

• CodandChips on December 12, 2013, 17:36 GMT

No scorecard for this match?

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 16:56 GMT

(2) I don't care if you go for runs, provided that you take some wickets.

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 16:47 GMT

@Milepost His 2013 stats page on CricInfo shows him will 11 First Class wickets. He took 6 in 5 Division 2 games, with a best of 2-24 (which should terrify Michael Clarke) and an average of 66.33 (which should terrify Alistair Cook). However, unlike this game, which was not First Class, he also played a game against Cambridge MCCU where he took 3-42 and 2-37, hence the final total of 11 wickets.

• on December 12, 2013, 16:34 GMT

If England need a quicker blower they have got Finn, his pace is normally up in one-day games because he bowls in short burst I am not sure who England should select at 6 Bairstow has struggled at test level and seemed to have a technical flaw last time out but is 2-0 down at perth the time for a debutant? If Prior hadn't got a 50 in the second innings I would have been tempted to play both,

I am pretty much writing the series off, I hope England look to try new players on the West Indies tour. The current top 6 hasn't really performed for a while they relied of Cook in India and he couldn't go on forever, KP scores all his runs in double hundreds which doesn't help the rest of the time.

• milepost on December 12, 2013, 16:10 GMT

Tymal mills I think took 6 wickets, not 11 last season. Yeah, why not rush him in.

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 15:34 GMT

I wish that we had a scorecard for this game.

Tymal Mills is not even a regular with Essex in Division 2. He took exactly 11 wickets in 6 games last season. Not a great basis for a Test debut! (Essex are managing him carefully)

What a number of people have pointed out is that if Gary Ballance is penciled in to bat at 6 in the Test, as is generally assumed, it was odd that he came in to bat late on Wednesday afternoon in a run chase. That was no odder though, I guess, than not giving Jonny Bairstow - the other candidate to bat at 6 - a bat in the first innings and then pushing him up to open in the second innings.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 15:34 GMT

I wish that we had a scorecard for this game.

• milepost on December 12, 2013, 16:10 GMT

• on December 12, 2013, 16:34 GMT

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 16:47 GMT

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 16:56 GMT

(2) I don't care if you go for runs, provided that you take some wickets.

• CodandChips on December 12, 2013, 17:36 GMT

No scorecard for this match?

• CricketCoachDB on December 12, 2013, 19:22 GMT

• on December 12, 2013, 19:46 GMT

• PFEL on December 12, 2013, 20:41 GMT

No one mentioning that Chris Rogers played and made a duck?

• CricketingStargazer on December 12, 2013, 21:14 GMT

@Lahori Kaka 12 times in a 4 over spell? That's bad.