England news

KP slams 'wholly untrue' Downton comments

George Dobell

May 23, 2014

Kevin Pietersen made a battling half-century, Australia v England, 4th Test, Melbourne, 1st day, December 26, 2013
'I was fully motivated to play for England and whilst I accept that the series as a whole fell well below my own personal standards, I finished the series as the top scorer' © Getty Images

Kevin Pietersen has dismissed as "wholly untrue" comments made by Paul Downton, the managing director of England cricket, relating to the decision to end the batsman's international career.

Pietersen has reacted to an interview Downton gave to the BBC on Thursday by releasing a statement on his website strongly refuting Downton's version of events and clarifying his desire to seek a final settlement when it became clear he would not be picked again by England.

In the BBC interview, Downton said he had "never seen anyone as disinterested or distracted on a cricket field" as Pietersen had been during the Sydney Test and that, after talking to the management team and several of the senior players there was a "unanimous feeling" that the time had come to move on from the player. Downton said he "couldn't find one supporter" for Pietersen's retention.

But Pietersen has now responded in typically uninhibited style. Not only has he insisted that he retains a good relationship with most of the England squad involved in the Ashes - a claim that is generally supported by comments made by those team-mates in subsequent interviews - but he has issued a reminder of his international record that brought him more runs than any England player in history, a part in four Ashes-winning sides and a man of the tournament award in England's only global success: the World T20 title of 2010.

"The suggestion that I was uninterested during the winter Ashes series against Australia is wholly untrue," he said.

"Although I was having injections in my knee, which inhibited my mobility and thus my ability to field close to the wicket, I was fully motivated to play for England and whilst I accept that the series as a whole fell well below my own personal standards, I finished the series as the top scorer.

"I did, and continue to have a good relationship with most of the England players, which has been subsequently highlighted by a number of press interviews.

"With regard to the criticisms aimed at my 'the way I play type attitude', I feel it's only reasonable to remind Mr Downton that this method has brought me over 13,500 runs for England, in addition to being part of four Ashes-winning teams and a World T20-winning side, all of which achievements I am hugely proud of."

Pietersen also sought to clarify Downton's claim that it was the player who "wanted to come to a settlement to terminate his central contract." While Pietersen accepts that is true, he points out that it was a decision he made only after it became clear he would no longer be considered for England selection.

"It was made very clear to me that I was not being selected for the World T20 squad," Pietersen said. "And the ECB did not try to give me the remotest confidence that I would be seriously considered for selection for England again.

"Had I allowed my contract to 'wind down', as the ECB proposed, I would not only have forfeited the performance-related elements that are part of the England player remuneration, but more importantly my availability as a professional cricketer would have remained under the control of the ECB for a further eight months."

Pietersen and the ECB are supposedly bound to confidentiality clauses that were designed to keep such squabbles private. But Downton's decision to speak so freely about the issue has ensured that Pietersen's shadow will linger over the England team for some while yet.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by nursery_ender on (May 25, 2014, 8:28 GMT)

quote :Posted by cloudmess on (May 24, 2014, 15:01 GMT) Let us hope the ECB can eventually come up with a concrete reason which would justify the permanent sacking of KP. If they can't, then history is not going look kindly upon them in this whole episode.

How about he's 34, has a degenerative knee problem and is a disruption in the dressing room? Just look at what happened when the Indian hierarchy kept an underperforming middle-order batsman several years past his prime.

Posted by talgeri on (May 25, 2014, 5:20 GMT)

Let byones be bygones. Get KP back. If ECB requires the person to handle him they can rope me in from India.

Come on Cook get going.

KP u too kindly show too be interested. These are the requirements of the era we are in.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 16:50 GMT)

peterson should play for south africa now and hit centuries against england that would feel nice to watch

Posted by godshand on (May 24, 2014, 16:11 GMT)

Downton should play for England as a fast bowler since he has already dismissed their best performer!!!

Posted by cloudmess on (May 24, 2014, 15:01 GMT)

Posted by markatnotts on (May 24, 2014, 14:48 GMT)

@stormy16, yep I actually watched cricket pre 2005. England were number 2 or 3 in the world for most of the period from 2000. Winning Test series in SA, SL, Pakistan, WI, and only really getting annihilated by Steve Waugh's Great Australian team. Oh and we had an attacking opening batsmen, a star allrounder, and some other pretty fine players.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 14:47 GMT)

@Shane bond : Well Mr. Bond,I am not an anti-Bell but the fact that bell has not even been considered for t20s - says a lot about the value of KP who has been the man of the tournament in England's sole world title (wt20,2010) and besides his contribution in 4 ashes victory was far more than bell,especially in the starting New era for England(2005 ashes).

Even I love the way bell bats(stylish) & who could forget his three test centuries against Pakistan in their own den against world class spin attack when England was even considered more weaker than ever on turning tracks.

Nice sharing views with you (one of the greatest premium inswing fast bowler of all time).Even I started concentrating more on my bowling after watching the way you toyed with the batsmen.Has hit 95 a few times :-)

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 14:31 GMT)

I don't know if Downton was watching the other England cricketers during the Sydney Test but it seemed to me that they were even more distracted and disinterested in the cricket. To me, they looked shattered and whatever might appear as "interest" in their demeanour is likely to be "I wish this is over soon so that I can go home". Perhaps Paul mistook the looks of eagerness to escape the living hell as eagerness in play?

Posted by stormy16 on (May 24, 2014, 14:25 GMT)

I dont buy Downtons story regardless if its true or not. You need to show some respect for a guy who has toiled years for Engaland and was a part of its recent success. Anyone remember England before KP and 2005? Like it or not KP is a legend for England and deserves better than this. I am not suggesting KP is without fault but what's done is done and its time to show some gratitude for a guy who was part of Englands success in the recent past.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 14:24 GMT)

@Shane bond: well Mr. Bond we need to back KP to back cricket.I am not an anti-bell,infact I love d style of his batting and who could forget his 3 centuries against Pakistan in their own den when England where even weaker against spin.

What I meant was pieterson is a bigger gem than Ian bell for ECB & world cricket.As u said, bell was not even considered for t20s whereas KP was man of d tournament in the only world title (wt20) eng have won in 2010.He was part of 4 ashes victory as well,even though bell was part of it but KP played a far Big role than Ian,especially in 2005.

nice talking one of the greatest n fastest inswing bowler.I admire you n have started concentrating more on my bowling after watching the way you bowl.Have touched 95 @ Times :-)

Posted by markatnotts on (May 24, 2014, 13:52 GMT)

It's amazing the number of posters who perpetually moaned about KP playing for England as a SAffer, who are now moaning he isn't anymore!

Posted by inswing on (May 24, 2014, 13:41 GMT)

It looks really bad for ECB if the biggest problem with Pieterson was that he looked disinterested and disengaged. That's it? The problem is that he doesn't have the right demeanor when evaluated subjectively? Please. There are much worse things players have done than simply look disinterested. This only means that there were no serious disciplinary problems with Pieterson.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 13:04 GMT)

He should captain south africa and Smith should captain england, all problems solved....

Posted by macrobbair on (May 24, 2014, 12:43 GMT)

Pieterson should captain south africa and Smith england - there you are all problems solved.

Posted by JG2704 on (May 24, 2014, 12:38 GMT)

For me , the issue here is about what Downton has said and what KP has said in response and for me Downton comes out worse every time he talks. And KP is right in that certain players have publicly backed him. It now seems that Downton is just trying to demean him and turn folk against him and I reckon it is having the opposite effect. As for KP the player - Even without the other issues I'm not so sure - based on his recent form - he's a shoe in to the England SF sides. I must confess I've not watched much IPL this year but his stats (barring 3 or 4 inns) have been pretty poor. I've not seen the full arsenal of shots he used to play (when at his best) for some time - has he played any of his audacious shots in this year's IPL? Surely without these shots it makes him less of a mare to bowl to. For me Bell (whose name has benn brought up) is a better ODI batsman these days than KP

Posted by danmcb on (May 24, 2014, 12:35 GMT)

well, not for the first time, KP puts one leg forward and smacks it right out of the park. I don't know how these people have the nerve, quite frankly. And I am sure I am not alone in that.

Posted by warnerbasher on (May 24, 2014, 12:02 GMT)

Is there anyone out there that thinks the cherry cheeked R Key from Kent is the man to save English cricket. The thought of seeing this portly gentleman coming in at 4 could just be the filip English cricket needs. Alternatively of course it has the very real prospect of being the worst selection decision since B McGain.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (May 24, 2014, 11:21 GMT)

I haven't exactly been a huge fan of KP over the years, and I'm certainly not one of the many posters harping on for his comeback to English cricket; but I have to say he has every right to hit back at Downton's comments, and many of his points are spot on. Highest run scorer in that abysmal series, and if "he was so disinterested" and the feeling so "unanimous", why so many previous articles from past- and present- fellow players proverbially scratching their heads, wondering/questioning what the heck is going on and thanking KP for his support/advice during their careers? It seems the more articles that come out about this KP saga, the more and more confusing this becomes. Roll on (November is it?) when we're promised the complete, truthful story.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 11:19 GMT)

I think the ECB are digging a bigger and bigger hole. This isn't 1950 when Pietersen would get a severe drubbing for wearing the wrong tie or passing the port to the left. England Cricket needs to move into the 21st century. I also think it would have been possible to drop Pietersen without publicly humiliating him. Why couldn't they have left him out for a few games to see if his form in County Cricket or the IPL was good enough to warrant a recall. He should contact Touré's agent!!

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 11:07 GMT)

@Manish Sharma While I admit that I've been a huge fan of KP but he hasn't done much in past 3-4 years in all forms of the game. In tests he was brilliant but in short formats he didn't even play and whenever he did, he looked lost. And on the other hand Bell has been great as an odi opener and hasn't been considered for t20's at all.

Posted by Ramsundhar on (May 24, 2014, 10:22 GMT)

KP: You should have immigrated to India rather than to England. We would have appreciated your skills more.....

Posted by markatnotts on (May 24, 2014, 10:18 GMT)

A lot of emotive drivel from the anti English brigade again. The irony is most of them complained he shouldn't have been allowed to play for us due to his upbringing in Natal. It's funny how some people contradict themselves so easily. Anyway England will miss Swann more than KP in the coming years. Just like the big losses of Trescothick and Freddie.

Posted by DanSuttie on (May 24, 2014, 10:14 GMT)

I think the ECB could have handled this better. They could have said that they were looking to the future and wanted to develop new players. They could have thanked KP for a hugely important contribution to his adopted homeland.

The whole saga lifts the scrutiny on the players that are actually getting selected.

Posted by jackiethepen on (May 24, 2014, 10:09 GMT)

There is considerable support for KP from England fans but you won't find them wading in denigrating Bell who was a star at winning the Ashes for us last summer. All this comes from Indian fans who haven't a clue about English cricket or Bell's role in it. You would think they would remember that Bell got 157 and 253 against them last time India played Test cricket in England. He and KP were at their best when they put together terrific partnerships. Bell's average is 46, it is worth nothing that SINCE he was recalled to Test cricket in 2009 his average has been 50. That is the highest in the team, and that includes Pietersen and Cook and Trott. Of course we miss KP as an England player. Indian fans can still see him play IPL. Bell is one of those interviewed who called KP irreplaceable and that he saw nothing wrong from KP during the Ashes. There's no point letting outrage out on Bell because he isn't KP. They are both very good in different ways.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 9:39 GMT)

SRI LANKANS are behind u KP, WISH U THE BEST

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 9:29 GMT)

Good stuff KP! Give it back, be patient you will return, just keep scoring....

Posted by sherishahmir on (May 24, 2014, 9:25 GMT)

Its simply ridiculous to see the waste of a v talented player by ECB, its collective responsibility of all players to have a such ashes defeat of 5-0 why KP is only side line and his services forgotten to England cricket, what a turnaround been made KP presence to English team fortunes since his start of his career and in return what ECB is doing with him is simply shameful.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 9:18 GMT)

the most capped ODI player in England is Paul Collingwood with 197 games... Kevin with just 13500 runs in all formats is one of the top scorers in Enagland...this clearly proves that England has a bery poor player retention policy ... giving compulsory retirement to a player like Kevin takes the so called pride away from them. BCCI is far better than ECB in this aspect..they respect players as many other boards do...which is not the case with ECB...they groom players and throw away... they will never win a world cup

Posted by BradmanBestEver on (May 24, 2014, 9:15 GMT)

England cricket is still in a mess - they must sort out these behind-the-scenes issues so that the limited talent that they have to put out on the field can at least give a decent showing. Player morale must be disrupted by this ongoing tit-for-tat pettiness.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 8:42 GMT)

@Shane bond : Ian bell averages 46,i.e, fine but the game has changed a lot in the past 6 years.But bell has failed to change his game and we are talking about all the three formats of the game and Pieterson exceeds bell without any doubt in t20 & odi for and even in tests I think.He creates havoc among bowlers which in turn helps players like bell at the non strike end as well.Bring KP back. ECB is full of pride,I don't know on what.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 8:20 GMT)

It has been the history, that anyone like KP, does manage a smooth relationship with influential people both in the team management and people in establishment, have to end up, getting tarnished name inside. The out side followers can easily make out the truth. I totally approve and support KP stand in this regard. Best wishes to KP, we in India, kindheartedly support him and wish him all success.

Posted by ramli on (May 24, 2014, 8:10 GMT)

@SpaMaster ... the result of such a poll is a pre-gone conclusion ... it will be hands down to ECB by a large mile ...

Posted by SpaMaster on (May 24, 2014, 6:52 GMT)

I suggest Cricinfo to hold a poll asking the viewers who they think is more to blame for the ECB-Peitersen debacle.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 6:49 GMT)

Even without KP the English cannot move on without talking about him. Shows the statue of the man. Poor ECB.

Posted by St.John on (May 24, 2014, 6:31 GMT)

Downton should have just said "Lets move on" and left it at that. It would have been the wisest course. By adding comments about KP's "Disinterest" and his alleged non-support from team mates, he wasn't moving on but flaming the row even further. Surely he would have known KP would come back with a stinging retort. Hardly moving on is it?

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 6:17 GMT)

An England side with out Peterson is devoid of any spectator interest . downtown should know this. Who is going to pay gate money to watch Alister, Ian Bell and Carberry when England paly international cricket. Cricketers like Peterson come once in abloom moon and his absence is a loss to ECB.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 5:55 GMT)

Not Sure what people think.. But i guess.. He is one of the biggest Game Changers of recent times. Who can forget the century in the India Series.. It was one of the best and the game was changed in 3-4 hours !!! KP you are still the best, even though this IPL is not yours.. But i personally feel he has lots to give back the game which adored him.. All the big Game Changers across sports and the world are high on attitude.. Cant say that is wrong.. The issue i suppose is that he challenged the way a country has been playing for years (Boring), he puts the spectators before the style... KP you are the best !!!! and i am sure you are better off outside the English Team.... English cricket will be poorer without you not the other way around.!!!

Posted by din7 on (May 24, 2014, 5:51 GMT)

Its time for KP to fight back ansgt ECB and show what he has done for mediocre english side....seems ECB tryin to bury all his achievements for him being not english....lets see how good this mediocre eng side under captaincy of "YES SIR" Cook

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 5:43 GMT)

I think Downton should focus on improving the mental strength of the other English players rather than throwing allegations against a class player who has never developed cold feet or stress related issues during the time he played for England!! To see him encouraging and inspiring his Delhi Daredevils team mates even after repeated failures, is a joy to watch!

Posted by sharidas on (May 24, 2014, 5:34 GMT)

I would certainly stand by Kevin in this recent spat !

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 5:29 GMT)

I am so happy with ECB stupid decision... Now at least we will have KP for IPL season (hoping he remains fit). Yes, this year 2014 he hasn't been good, but I am sure once this debacle dies out, he will come back strong next year. Also, Big Bash which I follow so closely will pick him up. What KP said about 'Highest runs', '4-ashes wins' and 'series player in T20' is the dark truth of England. No one has made impact in England team in recent years. Flintoff may come close...

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (May 24, 2014, 5:13 GMT)

KP can boast of the '4 Ashes W' he played in and all well with that.But hard reality of it-not just pertaining to Eng-is he will be remembered for the 2 '5-0' reversals more of probably than anything. The 1st occation not so much just because of opposition that did it to them -being 1 of greatest in game ever-and with whole of nation behind seeking comeuppance for the great reversal in thed famous 05' series in Eng. It was v much on the cards.The recent 1 will be not so kind for various reasons. Aussies of this time around though v talented and emerging 1-no match for their predecessors of course- were a v young side except Clarke and Johnson. And even though these 2 did major star turn for Aussies most of others had memorable series and it was an all round showing. And of course ,being painted-rightly or wrongly- as villain of the piece by End set up ,estb. ,media etc for the aftermath of it all didn't help matters .

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 3:50 GMT)

Its all due to culture of 'being formal' England. nothing wrong its their culture but I think the entire world is informal and would love to have 'characters' in their teams, hence these things looks odd to all of us.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 3:31 GMT)

England was always a boring side baring a Gower or Botham or Kevin. I for one would not pay a dime to watch say a cook or bell....just saying

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 3:02 GMT)

The KP saga refuses to end even though lots has already been said and written about it. The way ECB has handled it has been poor. But then again, who am I to judge!

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 2:20 GMT)

@Gsingh7 Ever heard the names Geoffery Boycott, David Gower, Mike Atherton, Colin Cowdrey, Alastair Cook, Alec Stewart? I am not even going in previous eras.While there's no doubt KP was best in past decade but you need not lash out on Ian Bell who averages around 46.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 1:16 GMT)

As much I have known about England's cricket, I have learnt that they lack player management skills. On a important tour like Ashes you can't send player like Trott back home saying that he is not fit to play bcoz of some unknown reasons. Also Mr Downton should remember that he talking about a cricketer who won ECB lots of matches on his own. It is ECB who has not been able to manage him well.

Posted by Zak786123 on (May 24, 2014, 0:39 GMT)

It all seems like the ECB has failed to understand Kevin Pietersen. Such a world class batsmen, any team would be proud to have him play for them. End of the day what the ECB needs to understand is that you cannot blame the failure during the Ashes on one player. Its a team game and everyone should be blamed. It seems that the players who have not performed are trying to make Kevin the scape goat and make people forget about their own failures. Infact Kevin Pietersen was the highest England scorer during the ashes. Everything that's happening just does not make sense. The bottom line is you cannot drop such a talented batsmen when there is no one as talented as him to take his spot in the team. The sooner the ECB realises this the better as the only way England could have a chance to win that 2015 world cup would be if a batsmen like Pietersen is in the England XI.... if not then England don't stand a chance.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 0:33 GMT)

Loved watching him bat but there's no smoke without fire. Why would they get rid of their best batsman unless there was something to the rumours?

Posted by ruester on (May 24, 2014, 0:21 GMT)

KP had kept silent through this but I am not surprised that he felt he had to respond to Downtons comments. KP in my view has been a wonderful servant to English cricket and deserves far better treatment than this. He is an opinionated man who speaks with his heart not his head at times, I would want players in my team who would share their opinion not just tow the line, Cook obviously can't deal with that. Downton and the rest of the set up obviously have made a huge error in judgement and the fans outrage at this continues. KP may not suit everyone but all cricket supporters of England know the huge contribution he has made.

Posted by   on (May 24, 2014, 0:13 GMT)

Id never thought id agree with the ECB on letting Pietersen go but I do. His time was nearly up, his knees were clearly dodgy, and he looked very vulnerable against a very disciplined Australia at home in 2013. The ECBs error was in being less then candid about the reasons about dumping him There is lots of young talent around in England including talented young batsman, genuinely fast bowlers and a few very promising young spinners, talent enough to dispose of a spirited Sri Lanka and the perennially over-hyped India this summer in both the ODIs and the Test Matches. I would blood young Adam Riley from Kent as my main spinner this summer and see how he does

Posted by sdgdjhsfsd on (May 23, 2014, 20:58 GMT)

ECB are really losing out by not playing KP no chance at for them at the world cup a exceptional player

Posted by EdwinD on (May 23, 2014, 20:57 GMT)

I can see how Pietersen came to be dropped from the Test - but to drop him from both the ODI and T20 side reeks of pettiness and arrogance - and at the end of the day the England fans suffer the most, as the T20 World Cup showed.

Posted by Mannix16 on (May 23, 2014, 20:46 GMT)

KP is a wonderful batsman and definitely is one the greatest to play for England in recent times. I do think it is time for him to move on though. It seems like although he is a wonderful batsman, his behavior off field has been hurting the rest of the team

Posted by   on (May 23, 2014, 19:49 GMT)

Let it go. He's gone. We'll live without him and other players will get a chance sooner rather than later. Let him get on with being a celebrity playing for money and England will continue just like every other team does when they lose a good player.

Posted by   on (May 23, 2014, 19:37 GMT)

Respect goes to Mr Dobell for being one of the few cricket journos prepared to think for themselves and write about whats important to the majority of England fans. Don't "move on" George!

Posted by   on (May 23, 2014, 19:07 GMT)

Time for KP to forsook his international aspirations playing for England and concentrate on English, Indian and may be South African and Australian domestic T20 competitions. Regardless of allegations and counter-allegations - England & Wales Cricket Board has had enough.

Posted by Jai.d on (May 23, 2014, 19:07 GMT)

KP was and is a class apart - he is one player who can demolish any opposition. He created fear in the minds of other teams. Fantastic cricketer! I still remember the Mumbai test in Nov 2012 when it was due to him that England started to believe they could win even in India - and then sealed the series!

Without him in the team the tests would be a big bore to watch or follow!

Posted by AP_88 on (May 23, 2014, 18:55 GMT)

Not a big fan of KP (although he is one of the modern greats of the game!) however have to say that KP has maintained his dignity in this entire saga. The ECB management, on the other hand, has been continuously issuing baseless and unsubstantiated statements undermining their credibility

Posted by sam_m on (May 23, 2014, 18:49 GMT)

Averages 47 in Tests and 40 in ODIs with over 30 centuries in total. Yeah, this guy is surely disinterested and distracted. What a joke.

Posted by Parousia on (May 23, 2014, 18:48 GMT)

Sad. He was the top scorer for england in the ashes & still they're criticising him even after after dropping him and ending his career! Its been 4 months, come on move on Downton. You have bigger thing to worry

Posted by gsingh7 on (May 23, 2014, 18:43 GMT)

what an embarrassment for ecb. slating kp after axing him while he cant defend himself. very low blow . kp IS the highest run scorer and best batsman in the history of english game and they degrade him after sacking him. whose gonna win u games in future-- carbs or ian "dot" bell?

Posted by BigINDFan on (May 23, 2014, 18:43 GMT)

ECB and Downton are trying to make this KP's fault. If KP was not considered for selection based on the Ashes performance what about Cook, Bell and Anderson. These so called team players did nothing to prevent a whitewash.

A professional way to do this is for Downton to say " we want to build a new and young team and thank you KP for your service and achievements". Fans will be disappointed anyway you look at it with KP not in the team but at least do it properly and not this silly interview.

Posted by bharath74 on (May 23, 2014, 18:37 GMT)

Best batsman to have played for England in the recent years!! He played with aggression which is seriously lacking in players like Bell, Cook, and i dont remember any more good players to compare with KP the Legend!! Cricketing world is missing KP!!! I still cant believe that a player is sacked because he is unmanageable. Lol.

Posted by   on (May 23, 2014, 18:19 GMT)

You know, i have such respect for KP. A wonderful batsman who had that 'swagger' to be a world class player. Safe to say, KP brought the crowds in whenever he played. No other England player had that ability. KP has kept his dignity throughout the fall-out. yes, i know he's had a poor time in the IPL this season. However, he remains a magical player to watch. Form is temporary and class is permanent. Really does sum up England cricket at the moment.

Posted by   on (May 23, 2014, 18:19 GMT)

he did the english cricket team a great service and deserves some respect. He was the man of the tournament in the world cup they won and probably the only english batsman who had so much fan following across the globe. Does anyone remember any english batsman from he past decade who could instill fear in the opposition ranks?

George DobellClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
Derbyshire v Leics at Derby
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Essex v Worcs at Chelmsford
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Glamorgan v Hampshire at Cardiff
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Kent v Gloucs at Canterbury
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Lancashire v Middlesex at Manchester
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Northants v Sussex at Northampton
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Warwickshire v Durham at Birmingham
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Yorkshire v Somerset at Leeds
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »