England news

Pietersen 'relieved' at England exit

ESPNcricinfo staff

June 9, 2014

Kevin Pietersen leaves the SCG with his Test future in doubt, Australia v England, 5th Test, Sydney, 3rd day, January 5, 2014
Kevin Pietersen walks off the SCG in the final act of his England career © PA Photos

As England prepare to start their summer of Test cricket on Thursday, Kevin Pietersen has said that he is relieved to be out of the England dressing-room, claiming the "environment was poor" during England's shambolic Ashes winter.

He also said that, contrary to some things that have been written, in particular the suggestion from England's managing director Paul Downton that he was "disengaged", his relationship with team-mates "was fine".

Pietersen was dropped for good by England's selectors after the series, a decision which continues to divide the cricket public, but in his first ghosted column with the Telegraph he said he, at least, had "moved on with my life".

"I am at peace with everything. It took only a couple of conversations with my family to start thinking this way because of how much I really did not enjoy the winter.

"In fact, it has been a relief to be out of the dressing room because it was not a pleasant place in Australia. We were losing and in my opinion the environment was poor and I was not alone in thinking that. It is a view shared by a number of the players who have spoken their minds since coming back from the tour.

Pietersen was highly critical of the ECB agreement to play back-to-back Ashes series to avoid a clash with the 2015 World Cup which he argued added to an onerous schedule which proved too much for England's exhausted players.

Giles suffered for backing me - Pietersen

• Kevin Pietersen has suggested that Ashley Giles was not appointed as successor to Andy Flower to England because he suffered for being too supportive towards Pietersen's England future.
  • "I felt really sorry for Ashley when he missed out on the England head coach job. I spoke to him after [Moores was appointed to the role] and told him I thought he had it nailed. But sadly I think he was just too close to me for the England and Wales Cricket Board's liking.
  • "That is the problem. He had spoken too positively about me in Australia for the ECB to give him the job. It is a shame for both sides.
  • "Instead they turned to Peter Moores. First and foremost I believe England should not have appointed someone who has done the job before. It was time for fresh ideas.
  • But this time there is not a crop of senior players to resist his methods or with the personality to challenge him. They might say things behind his back but they will not take him on in front of others and that will give Peter a better chance of success."

"As soon as we arrived the Australian media turned the heat up on us. I have had that for years so it did not bother me. It was fun. But for other players you could sense it was a problem. The senior players were tired and it soon became a really long grind against an Australian side that had their backs up in their own country."

He said that he believed that by the end of the series England coach Andy Flower wanted him out. "After the Sydney Test, a headline came out claiming Flower had said to the ECB it was either "him or me". Pietersen added: "He denied saying that but the damage was done."

While reports of unrest within the team circulated widely, Pietersen said that was not the case. "We had an incredible tour on and off the field. I was helping all the bowlers out with their batting, and the night we lost 5-0 we were all having a drink in the bar together with our wives and girlfriends, which proves all was OK between us and still is.

"I have no issue with the players, as many have said in interviews since the tour ended. I speak to Stuart Broad and I even organised for Graeme Swann to go on holiday to one of my friend's hotels after he retired."

He said he had now moved on and was not wishing he was part of the side at Lord's this week. "Could I play more Test cricket? Yes of course, but should I sit here thinking I should be playing on Thursday? No, because that is when jealousy and negative thoughts come into your head."

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on (June 12, 2014, 2:41 GMT)

KP is by far the best import United XI had in more than 100 years. What a loss to world cricket! He should have never played for this poor team. His career ended abruptly. A KP fan from India.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 11, 2014, 7:44 GMT)

@Flash_hard27 on (June 10, 2014, 8:41 GMT) Thankyou for the kind words

@disco_bob on (June 10, 2014, 9:01 GMT) Indeed but by the same token his stats were only marginally better than others and Stokes averaged 5 more than him.It's not like he was great and everyone else was bad.

Posted by darrenh on (June 10, 2014, 18:53 GMT)

I still don;t understand why so many people are claiming KP has been made a scapegoat fot the ashes loss. Flower, Giles,Mustaq et al are no longer part of the management team. Prior, Root, Tremlett, Carberry, Stokes and Bairstow all dropped either during or after the series. KP negotiated his way out of his contract because ECB refused to give him assurances he would be picked and he wanted to play a full season of IPL. That was his choice. If he had missed the IPL and made a shedload of runs for Surrey I would be in favour of his reinstatement but he didn't. Also, just weeks after making a statement about his desire to play in the 2015 worldcup he makes another statement about how boring he finds ODI cricket. I for one have had enough of hearing him complaining and am looking forward to the future without KP.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2014, 14:52 GMT)

KP was the best player Eng produced since a long long time

Posted by   on (June 10, 2014, 11:45 GMT)

KP is easily the most dangerous batsman that England has had in decades. Opposing sides will be relieved just like KP says he is in not playing for the English side. The world of test cricket will miss his audacious batting style.

Posted by disco_bob on (June 10, 2014, 9:01 GMT)

@JG2704. "...no English fan on here is saying England lost the Ashes 5-0 because of KP..." Considering he was the highest English scorer if would be surreal if they did.

Posted by Flash_hard27 on (June 10, 2014, 8:41 GMT)

@JG2704 - Thanks goodness for your comments. There is even more rubbish than usual under this thread. KP was a great batsman from 2005 - 2012, but has since been in decline and has a chronic knee injury that is not going to get any better. He was often great for us on the field even if he were often difficult off it and I thanks him for some super cricketing memories but his time is over. The England test team's biggest problem remains replacing Swann and sadly there is no quick fix for that.

SL might get a draw at Lords where it is becoming increasingly difficult to force a result but I fancy England to win in Leeds.

Posted by android_user on (June 10, 2014, 8:33 GMT)

Great job KP. You have in my eyes come out the better man. You have already sealed your legacy as one of the finest batsman to have played cricket. At this age one wishes that in the last couple of years of one's career, he gets the respect he deserves for his service. And when ECB can be so distasteful in their approach, well let them be. It would take years for England to replace you, specially someone who can dominate quality spinners on a mumbai minefield and take england to a series victory. Hats off KP. You will always have our respect. Wish you a happy life, away from the ECB nonsense.

Posted by AJT1 on (June 10, 2014, 8:03 GMT)

KP is merely doing what KP does best - keeping his media profile high. Do you really think that he's relieved not to be involved in test cricket any longer? It will be interesting to hear the other side of the story later this year. Either way, it doesn't really matter anymore. England's biggest problem will be how to replace Swann in the short-term.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 10, 2014, 7:37 GMT)

@m0se on (June 10, 2014, 3:12 GMT) I'd say most English fans on these threads blame the whole team/captaincy and management and KP is part of the whole team. I see posts on here which are really anti KP and posts which go too far the other way but let's have it right here no English fan on here is saying England lost the Ashes 5-0 because of KP. Every single English batsman was poor on that tour.

Posted by markatnotts on (June 10, 2014, 7:31 GMT)

@m0se, "England fans have managed to dump their entire bitterness over the Ashes whitewash on KP. " Actually most of the bitterness on here is from non English fans of KP who just want to engage in a bit of England bashing. Most England fans are far more concerned with the more pressing problem of how to go forward without Graeme Swann. I am looking forward to the change of direction of this team though.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 10, 2014, 7:29 GMT)

@steve48 on (June 9, 2014, 19:17 GMT) I guess we'll never know exactly what went on. Another thought is that maybe both parties were guilty of wrongdoings and that's maybe why we have both parties saying little of substance As a player - I believe his best days are well behind him and I don't think we'll miss the current version the way some say we will. However I wonder if they could have played the whole thing out a little differently and not cut all ties? Maybe ley him play a full IPL and then just not pick him for the SL series? There's a fair chance he'd have been injured anyway and if they let him play a full IPL at least he'd have been happy with that. I'd like to have seen him eased out of the side rather than booted out. Physically I wonder how much longer he'd have at the top anyway?

Disappointed that such a % of your posts fail to get published esp when I see the content in some others

Posted by JG2704 on (June 10, 2014, 6:51 GMT)

@bootlicker on (June 9, 2014, 16:39 GMT) Your analysis of Moores and Downton may well turn out to be true and maybe England will have the horror summer that you and others are predicting but re

"SL is the only team with abundance of natural talents. They do not need much coaching or training, they can do things by their instinct"

You may be right about SLs natural talent but a position of 7th in the test rankings where they have recently been overtaken by NZ suggest that maybe they do need more coaching - in tests anyway

please publish this time

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (June 10, 2014, 5:26 GMT)

Pietersen sure is 'relieved' after all the happenings in this saga. I'm sure the feeling is mutual from the ECB/mgmt. side as well! More so after his showing in IPL,specifically his 'leadership' and battling efforts at helm of the Delhi team.-:)

Posted by fazald on (June 10, 2014, 4:45 GMT)

When the England Cricket Board is virtually dependent on talented cricketers from South Africa, Australia and even Ireland and Zimbabwe they have to be under obligation to those players sometime or the other to keep them happy. As a result they would try to take advantage and begin to dictate terms to the cricket board. No doubt Pietersen who is a great cricketer in this England side took advantage and was dictating terms to the team and the ECB which went too far and as a result there was serious conflict and the team in disarray. The recent 5-0 ashes whitewash was the final nail in the coffin for Kevin Pletersen and the England team which would take a long time to heal. England should start looking for talent in their own backyard if they need to dictate terms to their players and have more discipline in the team.

Posted by Greatest_Game on (June 10, 2014, 3:57 GMT)

@ my say seems to be living in a parallel universe, writing "A pity. KP walks and Narine opts out of WI Test vs Kiwi's, kudos IPL, cricket has become a joke."

KP did not walk. Read the above article - the one you are supposed to have commented on. It is crystal clear that KP did not "walk."

Similarly, Narine did not opt out of the WI test series against NZ. The WICB opted to exclude him for no discernible reason other than a vague new "policy."

Neither KP nor Narine made these decisions - the ECB & WICB deliberately excluded them. Don't blame anyone or anything else but the boards - these were their decisions. Cricket has not become a joke, but the comments by some remarkably misinformed posters here indisputably fit that description!

Posted by m0se on (June 10, 2014, 3:12 GMT)

England fans have managed to dump their entire bitterness over the Ashes whitewash on KP. That way they don't have to deal with the loss. Curse KP under the breath and be done with it. There was nothing more for KP in English cricket anyway, except historical landmarks that probably Cook would overtake in a few years time, provided Cook is relieved of the captaincy. KP can have a few IPL and T20 bashes and make some money before the body falls apart. At least he's not a former Ashes star struggling to make the playing 11 of his county.

Posted by mysay on (June 10, 2014, 2:37 GMT)

Posted by Chennai_Cricket on (June 10, 2014, 2:08 GMT)

ECB management is not good. They selecting players for corporate job. ECB need to recall KP for world cup otherwise they down after bangladesh

Posted by IndianInnerEdge on (June 10, 2014, 1:26 GMT)

@ Shane Bond - Very honest and humble of you...keep it up...:) I read the full text of his article in the english paper - telegraph, frankly i felt that his interview was honest, sincere and not that of a spoilt prima donna as some articles and posters have made him out to be. I feel his is just the fall guy for a sub standard and pathetic performance in the away ashes by the english team.If one man's mentality can contribute to 'bad team attitude, figting spirit, team spirit' then it speaks very less about the rest of his 10 mates, the captain, coach, the support staff, psychologist, head witch doctor, media manager etc. The reality is England has lost a match winner, someone who could have turned test matches. That said his ego needed to be curbed a bit and i wish england did it in a better way, and hence we are deprived of watching one of the greats in action. ..cricinfo plz post this...

Posted by landl47 on (June 10, 2014, 1:23 GMT)

Predictably defensive stuff from KP. The only thing I agree with is that the scheduling of the second Ashes immediately after the first one was a mistake. I don't think England would have won anyway (South Africa couldn't beat Australia in SA with Mitch Johnson in the kind of form he showed all through the season), but it was just too much England v. Australia cricket.

Otherwise, I'm glad KP has moved on. Now he can concentrate on his great form and dynamic captaincy in the IPL. Oh, wait....

Posted by Rahulbose on (June 10, 2014, 0:49 GMT)

I am more surprised that ECB put up with his antics for as long as they did. Maybe if cricket was a single player game then KP would have done better.

Posted by Greatest_Game on (June 10, 2014, 0:30 GMT)

The great irony of KP's career is that he left South Africa and pursued a cricket career in Eng because he felt that in SA he was being treated unfairly, and that his talents were unappreciated.

Little did he know what lay ahead, and that he would ultimately learn the true meaning of those concepts, and learn it the hard way!

Posted by wapuser on (June 10, 2014, 0:26 GMT)

The problem seems to KP two coaches can't get along with him. It cant b the coach them

Posted by Happy_hamster on (June 10, 2014, 0:12 GMT)

xtrafalgarx on (June 9, 2014, 12:52 GMT) England and it's fans have moved on, almost every post calling for his return is from an IPL fan and no England fans watch IPL. As much as his occasional wonder innings was exhilarating the amount of times he cost England victory due to his inflated mega ego when going for the showboat 6 more than negated, thanks Kev now time for the young guns. Now can his groupies in the IPL please stay on there own links...of course they can't.

Posted by   on (June 10, 2014, 0:07 GMT)

I regret to say, that I don't think that KP was the problem for England in Aus last winter. The problems were, first and foremost in the management and captaincy of the team. I feel that Mr Flowers was worn out, and that Mt Cook, for all of his prowess as a batsman, is not an inspirational leader, nor has the ability to think on his feet. Whether Peter Moores will be the answer on the coaching side, I'm afraid that Alistair Cook just does not have the force of personality such as Michael Clarke, or our previous two England captains, Messrs Vaughan and Strauss. No doubt, we shall see in the not too distant future.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 23:35 GMT)

back to back ashes. i mean when we all know that ashes is so interesting that the aus/eng crowd would go full swing to watch the match, we then know that arranging such series at such short intervals is for the purpose of revenue too (among other reasons). I wonder then on why there was no stronger opposition to such a crowded crammed arrangement!? If this was india doing two tournaments, even the indian fans along with non indian fans would go gaga with their words. now if its india/eng/aus, you do this and there is a high risk of one team completely crumbling down.,and it has happened to all these teams in the past. the scars that remain takes a long time to heal too. hate some of these organizers, be it in india or england or anywhere else who just dont pay attention to such factors and go all out for revenue.

Posted by AnthonyNo1 on (June 9, 2014, 22:45 GMT)

It was disgraceful the ECB treated our best ever player - he was not even given a chance to say good bye to the fans. The name calling and accusations afterward was distasteful...

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 22:29 GMT)

Would England be more likely to beat India/Sri Lanka this summer, if KP was in the side? Yes, probably. End of story; nothing else matters!

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 22:15 GMT)

@amitgarg78 - what makes you think 'Beating India / SL at home will only make them look the other way.' ..... I think it will be far from it. I'll be surprised if they win even 1 out of the 7 test matches at home this summer. And its not due to KP's absence or otherwise.... its just the lackadaisical management and the ultra conservative attitude and batting approach at the crease as if a grenade is going to explode every time a bowler runs in. With an expected scoring rate of 2.5 runs an over max, England would be lucky to draw a couple of test matches if the weather helps.

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (June 9, 2014, 20:45 GMT)

I wonder how he would have gone had he stayed in South Africa.

Posted by warnerbasher on (June 9, 2014, 20:06 GMT)

The sad fact is test cricket has lost a great player due to the inability of the captain, coach and senior management to manage him and the English fans miss out. How Cook has been retained as captain is beyond me given his role in this mess. As an Australian I hope he fills his boots with runs this summer so he maintains his places for the 2015 Ashes. Apart from his 2010-2011 run spree his record against Australia would suggest he has been little more than a rabbit for our bowlers.

Posted by steve48 on (June 9, 2014, 19:17 GMT)

@jg2704, if it me you consider to be the 'balanced poster', thank you! I agree that certain comments in isolation sound like self justification, and the Giles reference smacks of more than a little self importance, but as is often the case the overall column is quite honest and insightful. I think the 'dressing room atmosphere ' thing is aimed at the management influences, and to be fair in a team getting a hiding, there is a difference between personal relationships and team spirit! Shame cricinfo don't consider all my posts to be balanced, by the way, as about 25% don't get published!

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (June 9, 2014, 18:56 GMT)

We will never stop talking about this!

Posted by Essexspur on (June 9, 2014, 17:54 GMT)

What is amazing about Pietersen is that he has never taken any responsibility for his actions. No one sacks the best batsmen in the team unless they are seriously disruptive. If half the stories about him are true he was lucky to get a second chance and I for one am glad that he has gone. His supporters say that geniuses are different. Firstly, he is not and has never been anywhere near a genius; as a Test batsmen he is good not great. Secondly, even if he was a genius he sent a text to South Africa disparaging his captain. He should have got sacked there and then, but, as always, he thought he was bigger than the team. The players say the atmosphere with him was poor and without him it's good. He continues to believe there wasn't a problem.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 17:38 GMT)

ECB and England's dressing room hates Pietersen.

Pietersen hates ECB and England's dressing room.

So both staying apart is a win-win situation. I am not sure why many people, journalists and nut Piers Morgan are trying so hard in vain to get KP back in England's dressing room? They both hate each other and KP's England career is over! Nothing more to it!

Posted by RohanMarkJay on (June 9, 2014, 17:38 GMT)

Peitersen should have been allowed to play on for England as long as he was fit enough, in form and had the desire to do so. Sacking Kevin Peitersen pretty sums up everything thats wrong with English cricket in the last 20 years ie not giving sublimely talented players their due. Yes he played for 10 years. But he left the scene way before his time. I personally like Kevin Peitersen as a person and cricketer a lot. So I am sad to see him go. I wish Kevin Peitersen the best for the future.

Posted by android_user on (June 9, 2014, 17:04 GMT)

its really a bad sign of cricket as ecb did not give any support to him

Posted by awesomefan on (June 9, 2014, 16:56 GMT)

Whatever you guys say, He is one of a living legend...The way ECB sacked Pieterson was not appropriate...

Posted by bootlicker on (June 9, 2014, 16:39 GMT)

ECB and England will learn the second string of lessons from SL when they start test matches on Thursday. SL is the only team with abundance of natural talents. They do not need much coaching or training, they can do things by their instinct. Eng are different, they don't have much talents (when they chase the talents out of the team), then they need better coaching and training. Moores is not the person who can fulfill this, and Downton is also not the person who can mange this unfortunately.

Posted by Mehravs on (June 9, 2014, 16:38 GMT)

We can keep debating this issue till the cows come home but the tragedy is that England are without one of the best batsman in the world. It is entirely the fault of ECB who cannot manage a 'Star.' They only want players who can conform. By definition, geniuses are different from everyone.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 9, 2014, 16:20 GMT)

Have to say KP doesn't come out at all well in this piece although as a balanced poster has urged us all to read the full article I would try not to be judgemental on him. I don't understand how he says that there was an unhappy environment in the dressing room but then said "his relationship with team mates was fine"

Reading between the lines , my guess is not necessarily what he said or that he was falling out with people but who he said it to and who he fell out with.

Also have to love the hissy fit comms about Eng being mediocre without KP ... It's only a game

Posted by simon_w on (June 9, 2014, 15:58 GMT)

KP's relieved he's not playing for England any more; many of us are relieved he's not playing for England any more, frankly. Can we move on now please?

Posted by Vinod_Fab on (June 9, 2014, 15:35 GMT)

"First and foremost I believe England should not have appointed someone who has done the job before. It was time for fresh ideas." --- As per the ENG management if they really wants to look upon ENG future, then why peter moores... ?????? ECB not only making fool of public but also day by day destroying the hard fought legacy found in home as well as away.. Clearly we as a cricket lovers and ardent fan of ENG cricket from 05 wants to know the real reason behind sacking of KP....!!.. It's not the same feeling when ENG summer starts.. :( :( I dont see any youngster going up to moores saying you are wrong or you have to come up with different idea.. KP u will remain a once in generation cricketing legend..!!

Posted by steve48 on (June 9, 2014, 15:18 GMT)

@Shane Bond, fair enough mate, happy to share the posts of the great kiwi faker instead! Lol

Posted by amitgarg78 on (June 9, 2014, 14:46 GMT)

KP is entitled to air his views. After all, the ECB hasn't exactly kept their side of the bargain. It may be that he didn't deserve to get back after the "textgate" but can't blame him for being brought back. He came back, he played for England, and he did those better than most in the team. To point out that he was the only "disengaged" player in Australia is too cowboyish and certainly did ECB no favors with anyone that saw the side go down without much fight. I agree with KP on Moores, but I think ECB set up won't get the message till a tough overseas tour. Beating India / SL at home will only make them look the other way. Another Ashes lost under Cook and Moores... well that would be fun to watch the set up defend the glorious captaincy credentials of Cook.

Posted by android_user on (June 9, 2014, 14:36 GMT)

@Steve48 It's not. I happen to share the country of birth and the name with the great man but not his credentials. I've been often mistaken and called a faker (lol).

Posted by Vinod_Fab on (June 9, 2014, 14:34 GMT)

Baffling to see the comparison of T20 with test match cricket..!!.. If you all have watched ENG cricket then you guys should be in position to tell that one day KP bats so poorly and other day KP bats magnificient and he is always been like that.. 100's in PAK,IND,SL,AUS,WI,SA,NZ don't come easy if he is once in a blue moon player.. Respect his legacy and how can we move on without getting an substantial answer..??. I have never ever seen any player getting this much attention from around the globe..!!

Posted by John-Price on (June 9, 2014, 14:28 GMT)

KP is a high maintenance player and that mean he has to be a high performance player too. When his performance drops, people query the cost of maintenance and that is the end of that.

He doesn't seem too fussed, I wish his fans would see it the same way.

Posted by bobmartin on (June 9, 2014, 14:23 GMT)

I have to agree that Pietersen was a game-changer.. No denying that....Unfortunately it was often through his ego... when he threw his wicket away and changed the game in favour of the opposition..

Posted by BradmanBestEver on (June 9, 2014, 14:13 GMT)

It was a mistake of biblical proportions to bring KP back into the team after the Strauss affair.

Would it have made a difference to the Ashes result had KP not been selected? Nope..but it would have sped up the rebuilding process.. a process which seems to be hampered by a lack of vision - re: Moyes appointment..as KP notes.

I suspect it will be at least a decade of Ashes' results similar to that of the most recent series before we return to the long-term equilibrium state of Australia winning but having to fight for the result.

Posted by steve48 on (June 9, 2014, 14:12 GMT)

Nice one Yevghenny. Interesting to hear Dravid wax lyrical about Sehwag being fearless, whilst KP apparently plays selfishly and recklessly! Attacking, game changing players take risks that sometimes fail. But when they come off...

Posted by din7 on (June 9, 2014, 14:11 GMT)

@ianburnett beause kp was the only great batsman in the english side, barring cook all england have now are mediocre batsmen, and his once in blue moon innningd helped england draw in srilanka and win in india which evry1 knows they would never had and numerous other test matches which he had won for england and u will see it in coming series anst sri and england, though srilanka may not win but can still draw thw series, india surely has great chance to win aginst this mediocre english side and the next ashes u better forget that aussies are goin to win the next ashes in england, Period!

Posted by Yevghenny on (June 9, 2014, 13:48 GMT)

All time leading international run scorer for England - "once in a blue moon he scores"

Posted by sgh142 on (June 9, 2014, 13:42 GMT)

Good, then everyone is happy ....now go away.

Posted by MiddleStumpMike on (June 9, 2014, 13:39 GMT)

@xtrafalgarx - thanks for your contribution to keeping this issue alive.

Posted by steve48 on (June 9, 2014, 13:36 GMT)

Is it Shane Bond the great NZ quick sharing his comments with us? Fantastic if it is, especially just to add a little one liner! Can someone confirm this? Even greater respect to him if it is!

Posted by ramli on (June 9, 2014, 13:13 GMT)

@bobmartin ... if KP, after being the highest run getter for England in that series, is history, so are others who were still lower in performance ... simple ... it is just that ECB's superiority complex beat that of KP's ... no logic at all

Posted by m0se on (June 9, 2014, 13:10 GMT)

I hope he can do a Chris Gayle and do some amazing T20 freelance work. So far he has been disappointing. I really hope Pietersen doesn't fade away. Sad to see the fates of Flintoff and Pietersen struggling in the domestic T20 but at least they are very very rich.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 13:07 GMT)

@Vilander: What are you talking about ? Flintoff retired because of long term injuries as did Swann and despite all the Asian input about how great he is KP became a huge pain, played a decent innings once every blue moon when he was in the mood and will not be missed ! We've moved on - why doesn't he (and asian cricket fans) ?

Posted by getsetgopk on (June 9, 2014, 13:03 GMT)

Is this drama ever gona end or are we in the Davy Jone's Locker for eternity?

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 12:59 GMT)

Contrary to what he would like us to believe, Pietersen has not really moved on! Seems like England have. It is better he does too. Sure, Engalnd will find rebuilding tough but the line has been drawn firmly. Pietersen cannot stop talking about his exit whenever an opportunity arises. It was clear he was not his usual even during the IPL when his performance was sub-par. I don't think England was fair in blaming him for the Ashes fiasco but it has been done and it is better everybody move on for their own sake!

Posted by xtrafalgarx on (June 9, 2014, 12:52 GMT)

@Timmyfromtimbuktu: It's irrelevant why he got the boot. The simple fact of the matter is that he is gone, and England should move on. You can around and cry about things happen in life, and you will never get your nswer - there is none. He is just gone. Players come and go, England and it's fans must move on.

Posted by android_user on (June 9, 2014, 12:39 GMT)

its amazing England's most exciting batsman is blamed for failure of the team what about the others who quit during the tour or broke down mentally I am sure they were good for morale the management and captain should be the ones to take the blame as a cricket fan I would still go and see KP bat wake up England management Javed Gardezi Lahore

Posted by Vilander on (June 9, 2014, 12:23 GMT)

England - do not treat your greats like this. Swann/KP/Flintoff all deserved better.

Posted by MiddleStumpMike on (June 9, 2014, 12:15 GMT)

The reason this issue rumbles on, despite some putting their heads in the sand and wanting it to magically disappear, is that when a country's best and most talented player is abruptly excluded from all formats of cricket the fans simply want to know "why?".

Until now all we have heard are some vague and spurious reasons about KP "appearing disconnected" and not being liked by some senior players and the coach. For the management to take such drastic action on this basis defies any real logic or common sense and so the question "why?" will continue and continue until real reasons are given.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 12:07 GMT)

England will be poorer without KP... It's a bit wobbly in the middle no doubt... Lucky SL...

Posted by Sigismund on (June 9, 2014, 11:58 GMT)

KP's assertion that the only reason Gilo did not get the job is because he rated him (probably not true anyway, imo) says it all. Does anyone remember that song by Carly Simon?

Posted by android_user on (June 9, 2014, 11:46 GMT)

England will really miss him. He is the best batsman to play in the last 2 decades. Cricket is losing some very good players because of the games administrators. He still had 2 more years left in him, and would have helped transition in the English side. Even without playing for England, he will loved by the cricket fan's all over globe. I wish him all the best for his future endeavours.

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (June 9, 2014, 11:44 GMT)

Best situation SL can ask for this series! KP issue is still burning and the rest of the ENG players are under pressure to prove they are better off without KP. This is what has already cost them 2/3 of the battle and take my word the two tests won't be any different. It's a slide down the hill for ENG.

Posted by bobmartin on (June 9, 2014, 11:24 GMT)

Of course all the worshippers of Pietersen's greatness will be out in force AGAIN.... I was hoping once and for all that this was all but forgotten... but obviously not in the minds of those who still imagine what he was.. not what he now is... If you want testament as to how low he has sunk... look at his record in the last Ashes series...where he may well have been the top scoring batsman... for what that was worth... but how many centuries did he get and how many "game changes" did he make...Then look at his performances in the last IPL...they were anything but great..... So guys.. get your heads out of the sand... he was great once but his time has passed.. he is now history..

Posted by ninjalord on (June 9, 2014, 11:23 GMT)

The Australian players were just as worn out. The ashes is what it is and cant be missed. It was an even playing field. Ive seen a lot of people criticise Petersons attitude. Its not an isolated thing. He says many people have backed him but I've seen virtually no one. So they didnt back him very hard. He was always a disruptive influence on the England team and if he wasnt such a talented player then he would have been given the push earlier.

Posted by wapuser on (June 9, 2014, 11:16 GMT)

Relieved? Great! That's probably how the England management felt as well. I really don't see why they have then be condemned so viciously. Citing "he was the highest run scorer during the Ashes" proves nothing. He was finished. Don't care whether his manner was fine in the dressing room or not, there's no way it was fine out in the ground. The gravest error ECB made was to allow him back after the text-gate affair

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 11:08 GMT)

please select kp,he will prove to be the best player to get world cup 2015 for england has he did it in 2010 t20 world cup. I do know the issue and the problem between ecb and kp but has a cricket lover i want the best player to be in business, so i request ecb to select kp for atleast couple of years.

Posted by Seamer_Singh on (June 9, 2014, 10:49 GMT)

It's going wrong somewhere for England, but unless the root cause is found and solved this won't be the last controversial issue for an 'English' player. The list is endless, Trescothick, Flintoff, Yardy, Trott, Panesar, Swann etc... It's shame to see some great players end their international career in a low regard and so early.

Posted by notimeforcricket on (June 9, 2014, 10:18 GMT)

People forget the cricketing issues. His knee has gone! He cannot field properly anymore. His knee trouble restricts his movement and restricts his batting, meaning he cannot any more produce quite the results he used to. He is still good enough to just about scrape into the team as a batsman but when you think that his movement limitations will restrict his fielding, costing runs, the net result is someone who is a marginal selection not a guaranteed one. As such, when you add in the potential personality issues (even leaving the Winter aside - on blanace it seems he was not the villain they painted him out to be) but the long catalogue of problems, the England management is probably right. People should remember that KP of 2014 is not KP of 2005-2012

Posted by wapuser on (June 9, 2014, 10:07 GMT)

Thing is they claim kp was poor but yet he scored the most runs for england down under so i guess if he was poor the rest were poorer

Posted by rohan024 on (June 9, 2014, 10:02 GMT)

For most people outside England, KP was the best batsman England ever had in history, and England cricket is the real loser in the entire episode.

Posted by nursery_ender on (June 9, 2014, 9:47 GMT)

Posted by ABDUL_Rehman100 on (June 9, 2014, 9:13 GMT) I personally think that Pieterson was subjected to some inexplicable situation as he is still far better that those who are still in the England cricket team. Why he was the only person to be criticized for poor performance in ashes? What about other senior players? They made him as a scapegoat for the others I guess. Pieterson is a very high caliber test player and to end his career like this is injustice and cruel.

Have you not noticed the England squad for the first test that was announced last week? Six changes from the last test in Australia. Pietersen is hardly the only one to suffer for that performance.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 9:34 GMT)

One weird thing about KP's sacking was its timing. The England dressing room had just lost 2 outstanding senior players (Trott and Swann). But apparently this wasn't enough. Before the team had had time to digest those two losses, the management ousts Pietersen too ... to 'change the dynamics.' But the dynamics must already have been reeling from the other two departures. And so far, the 'new' team's results are making Downton & co's decisions look pretty poor ... let's hope the new boys come good on Thursday.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 9:31 GMT)

Sounds like an obvious case of sour grapes to me. I doubt the Ego will ever admit he misses it.

Posted by android_user on (June 9, 2014, 9:31 GMT)

england are going to do great, give them a couple of series at the most to recover and find themselves and their form. KP's axe was long overdue. Him getting the boot was always going to be pivotal to Englands long term success. the fact that KP sucks as a team person, much more as a leader becomes evident in the way the delhi daredevils performed in the IPL. they didn't seem to enjoy their game and that what pietersen is known to do, damage the team environment.

Posted by md111 on (June 9, 2014, 9:31 GMT)

Think it a interesting point those comparing the early shenanigans of Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke and what they were up to the start of their careers. Only bit would say against that is that Pietersen has been playing top level for 10 years before his misdemeanour's whether that affected things more that he was a senior player instead of an upstart who knows. All a shame and dealt with so badly on both sides at least hopefully get some kind of insight now.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 9:29 GMT)

Kevin fallen by the way side. These things happen in all test playing countries and soon will be forgotton. This has more to do with faces than ability.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 9:24 GMT)

England are gonna regret this decision very much after the 2015 world cup if they gonna persist with it, in this era KP was the best batsmen England have produced for international cricket and stripping him off international cricket when he have so much left to offer is a crime. Yeah he might be a little harder to handle than your day to day sportsman but usually you don't fire the talent, instead you hire people who can manage him well.

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 9:20 GMT)

Englnd team looks completely unbalanced without KP. ECB made a big mistake by dropping him when the team looks unsettled with the exit of Trott. Hope they'll realize it soon and make some changes in team management.

Posted by shillingsworth on (June 9, 2014, 9:16 GMT)

The players are responsible for what happens on the field. Despite Pietersen's attempts to rewrite it, history will remember him and his team mates for losing an Ashes series 5-0. Since when has the 'dressing room environment' been anything but poor when a team is whitewashed?

Posted by steve48 on (June 9, 2014, 9:15 GMT)

I urge everyone to read the full column in the Daily Telegraph. Refreshingly straight talking, and self deprecating enough to criticise his own technique and label Swann as the player we will miss most. In describing his ashes performance, shows the inner self belief that made him both a match winner and a hard man to coach, alluding to his late development as a batsman and his awareness of what eventually made him stand out. Particularly like his description of his dismissal at long on to Lyon, which I don't agree with, but shows his determination to change momentum in a game, his lasting legacy as an England batsman. Our ODI top order chugging along at 4 an over chasing 300, please take note!

Posted by ABDUL_Rehman100 on (June 9, 2014, 9:13 GMT)

Posted by DaisonGarvasis on (June 9, 2014, 9:01 GMT)

It's not KP who should be sitting and thinking "should he be playing on Thursday"!!! It's ECB who missed the boat. England is gonna miss KP winning or losing the series. KP is gonna be missed. ECB double standard is obvious when they took NO action for the misleading tweets by Stuart Broad on Ajmal action.

Posted by AlSmug on (June 9, 2014, 8:53 GMT)

As an Australian fan i personally want to thank the english selectors and current and recent past playing group that ensured he was oust. He is without doubt the most talented English batsmen in the current era. If it was for personalities Micheal Clarke most certainly would not currently be playing let alone captaining the Australian team. Clarke is still off side with a large percentage of fans including me in the katich and symonds sagas, however, i recognise his talents and am glad he plays for Australia, my view of hi is shared by other fans and past and present players of the game. In Australia we look after our talents and we try and make even the biggest wally feel special , hence why we have have had yrs of dominance, its well documented Warne and many other class players in a glory days were not the flavor of all players , coaches and fans . Was huge mistake mploying sth african coach that took and English view to managing player , cheer england for your poor managment

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 8:52 GMT)

Pietersen was one of the best players England cricket ever produced, it is not the matter of taking him back or his attitude. It is all about someone who want to put the blame on him and make his seat safe, over the years England has produced many great players, but in the current England side with no doubt people can say that, Pietersen is one of the best along with Bell, Cook, Troat, which they will realize after the WC2015.

Posted by wapuser on (June 9, 2014, 8:42 GMT)

They r going to lose the test series by 3-0 without kp

Posted by   on (June 9, 2014, 8:38 GMT)

If the team perfoms well in his absense, then it was a good decision, but if the team does poorly, then it will tell that it was not a wise decision..so far it is showing to be a bad decision. I would have employed better man management on KP than to kick him out..

Posted by android_user on (June 9, 2014, 8:17 GMT)

he will be sorely missed. I for one think England over worked their players, and still continue to

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
Gauteng Invitation XI v Eng Lions at Soweto
Jan 5-7, 2015 (10:30 local | 08:30 GMT | 03:30 EST | 02:30 CST | 00:30 PST)
1st unofficial Test: Sth Africa A v Eng Lions at Paarl
Jan 11-14, 2015 (10:30 local | 08:30 GMT | 03:30 EST | 02:30 CST | 00:30 PST)
England XI v Act Inv XI at Canberra
Jan 12, 2015 (10:00 local | 23:00 GMT | 18:00 EST | 17:00 CST | 15:00 PST)
England XI v PM's XI at Canberra
Jan 14, 2015 (14:20 local | 03:20 GMT | 22:20 EST | 21:20 CST | 19:20 PST)
Australia v England at Sydney
Jan 16, 2015 (14:20 local | 03:20 GMT | 22:20 EST | 21:20 CST | 19:20 PST)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »