Hong Kong's Irfan Ahmed suspended by ICC
The International Cricket Council on Monday confirmed that it has charged and provisionally suspended Hong Kong batsman Irfan Ahmed for a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code.
The offence is under Article 2.4.2 of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code (effective from 10 October 2012 to 10 November 2014) which states, "Failing to disclose to the ACSU (without undue delay) full details of any approaches or invitations received by the Participant to engage in conduct that would amount to a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code."
An ICC spokesman told ESPNcricinfo that, "In accordance with the terms of the Code, a disciplinary process is currently underway and the ICC is not able to make any further comment on the matter pending the outcome of the disciplinary process."
Hong Kong Cricket Association CEO Tim Cutler said, "We are firmly committed to upholding the integrity of our sport and we fully support the ICC's broadened concern around this grave threat to the soul of cricket. We must always put player welfare at the centre of our concerns and no matter what, there is a young man here who needs to be our immediate concern and we will be there for any support we can offer."
The 26-year old Ahmed has played six ODIs since his debut in 2008, as well as eight T20Is, the last of which was in July 2015. He had been in the top bracket for centrally contracted cricketers in Hong Kong in 2014-15, but was not retained for the 2015-16 season.
With inputs from Peter Della Penna
Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84