England v New Zealand, Women's World Cup 2013, Mumbai

Edwards 'heartbroken' by World Cup exit

Abhishek Purohit in Mumbai

February 13, 2013

Charlotte Edwards congratulates Holly Colvin after England's win, England v New Zealand, Women's World Cup 2013, Super Six, Mumbai, February 13, 2013
Charlotte Edwards led England to victory over New Zealand but the holders still went out of the World Cup © Getty Images

When it started on Wednesday afternoon, the final Super Six match of the Women's World Cup looked set to decide which of England or New Zealand, the 2009 finalists, would face Australia in Sunday's final. The third contenders, West Indies, had been bowled out for 164 in a morning start and surely Australia would chase that down. Which is why Charlotte Edwards, in the midst of providing her side a solid base, didn't believe a New Zealand fielder who told her that Australia had in fact fallen short.

It was only when her partner Sarah Taylor walked up to Edwards and broke the news that the England captain realise that her side's tournament was all but over. For those watching the match, the excitement had drained as soon as online updates showed Australia had been bowled out for 156. But Edwards had to swallow her disappointment and get on with the game in the middle. She went on to score a vital half-century.

"I looked at the big screen to see the result," Edwards said. "I didn't actually take in what the information was telling me. I assumed Australia had won the game because when I went out to bat they were going pretty well. [I was] pretty heartbroken really. For three overs after that I didn't know what was going on. It was disappointing for both teams. It was kind of an anti-climax. I'm very proud of how both teams stuck to it out there."

New Zealand captain, Suzie Bates, also spoke of how the sides had played a competitive game but said intensity levels weren't the same after the dispiriting news came in. Bates felt it would have been better to have not known the result of the other match.

It was a particularly shattering end for the holders England, who went out of the tournament without having had a single really poor game. Their defeats to Sri Lanka and Australia were by one wicket - off the last ball - and two runs. Edwards, however, refused to offer any excuses and said England had paid for their "slow start" to the tournament, beginning with the shock loss to Sri Lanka.

"We had come here to win this tournament and we haven't. We haven't even got to the final," Edwards said. "That is disappointing for us as a group of players. We were very inconsistent in the first phase of the tournament and are probably now playing our best cricket, which is too late. We prepared well. We have no excuses. We didn't play well. We didn't hold our catches against Sri Lanka."

Edwards said there would be time for reflection on England's performance in this tournament, and also over a "disappointing" previous 18 months, after they return home but ruled out any immediate decision over her own future. The 33-year-old Edwards, who is now in the 17th year of her international career, said she hadn't even thought about retirement.

"That is a long way off. I am not going to make any rash decisions," she said. "I am going to enjoy my cricket. I am loving my time with this group. We have got a big summer. There is a World Twenty20 next year. I can't say if I am going to be there in four years' time [at the next World Cup] but the only thing that will keep me going is that it might be in England. But four years is a long time."

Abhishek Purohit is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Abhishek Purohit

Posted by Meety on (February 15, 2013, 23:45 GMT)

@JG2704 on (February 15, 2013, 9:16 GMT) - sorry - I didn't make my point clear about NZ.I was not limiting myself to the Cup, but rather the results between Oz & NZ over the last couple of years. NZ have beaten Oz a few times recently (I think they won the last series or it was close from memory), yet they can't put it together in the big games. England claiming 3rd spot means they do have the best claims of deserving a final place.

Posted by JG2704 on (February 15, 2013, 9:16 GMT)

@Meety on (February 15, 2013, 2:29 GMT) No disrespect to NZ/NZ fans here but I can't see how they can claim to deserve a place in the final above England , however you want to judge it and they lost to all 3 of the other teams you mentioned. Also , while I don't agree with any of the posts that say Aus lost to put England out , if you have a format where you get the top 2 sides from each group just meet in the semis there's no room for such accusations of manufacturing results etc. Having a S6 format where teams only play 3 of the other teams is IMO wrong and I feel strongly that (if points are to be carried forward from group stages) teams should carry forward the exact points they attained - Aus 6 , Eng,SL,NZ 4 each and WI and SA 2 each

Posted by Meety on (February 15, 2013, 2:29 GMT)

@JG2704 on (February 14, 2013, 19:06 GMT) - agree with most of what you said, but not your first sentence. My response was to a comment that said England were "by far" one of the two best teams. IMO - there is very little between the top 3 sides (Oz, Eng & NZ), with the WIndies fast becoming a force. So where I sit, any one of those 4 sides could claim they deserve a spot in the Final. Valid point about S6 & net run rate etc, but as you also said "...Yes we have ourselves to blame..." I find it distasteful that other posters claim some sort of trickery by the Oz side. I feel more sorry for NZ, they have been neck & neck with Oz across T20 & ODIs for years now & for the second time in a year - cant reach the Final. From what I've read they (NZ) copped some howlers against the WIndies. But given the WIndies beat NZ, (& NZ v Oz games have been closely fought for several years now), I think Oz losing to WI is completely plausible.

Posted by yogikanna on (February 14, 2013, 20:06 GMT)

Hmmm.....looks very suspicious. Judging from the Australian scorecard, going from 130 for 4 to 156 all out, with three run outs, it does strongly suggest that they lost deliberately. Like others have said, the format of the tournament needs to change. Why can't they have a semi-final and a final like usual?

Posted by JG2704 on (February 14, 2013, 19:06 GMT)

@Meety - Although WI qualified fair and square I do feel England have been the 2nd best side throughout the tournament. We lost the similar amount of games to WI , only WI lost both their games decisively - Eng lost their games by 2 runs and 1 wicket on the last ball. Yes we have ourselves to blame but I don't like the super 6 format whereby teams don't carry all their group points into the game and each team only plays 3 of the 5 other teams. We ended up with a better net RR than both Australia and WI and won the same amount of games as WI overall and yet WI carry the same points into the S6 stage purely because they lost to India (heavily at that) and not SL.

Posted by   on (February 14, 2013, 7:56 GMT)

I'm an England fan and I can't believe the number of people out there suggesting that Australia deliberately lost their last match. I can guarantee no one in the England side thinks that. They'll know they lost two games that they should have won, and that's cost them dearly. The conspiracy theory is also disrespectful to the WI women, who've played brilliantly to reach their first final and should be receiving all the praise for their tenacity and skill under pressure.

Posted by Meety on (February 14, 2013, 6:31 GMT)

@challagalla on (February 14, 2013, 0:32 GMT) - England lost to Sri Lanka, they hardly qualify as easily one of the two best teams. Oz, NZ & Eng are very close in quality & the WI womens team is improving rapidly. The format used is more likely to get the two best PERFORMED teams into the Final as opposed to the two best RANKED teams.

Posted by CrICkeeet on (February 14, 2013, 4:07 GMT)

ICC is joking wid Women WC.... Only 8 teams participating divided by two groups nd called it a "World cup"!! then 4m super six two teams reach directly in the final! what a format! why dont they arrange a 10/12 team world cup!

Posted by boxer44 on (February 14, 2013, 3:07 GMT)

Let me get this straight Aus is degraded when they win and only when they lose to WI. The only team Aus have/had to worry about was Windies as they dispatch all the others

Posted by   on (February 14, 2013, 0:58 GMT)

It should have ended up coming down to runrates because the West Indies only beat New Zealand due to 4 bad LBW decisions that saw nearly half the New Zealand batters given out when they shouldn't have been. The ICC needs to look seriously at how they treat womens cricket. No elite panel umpires at a world cup event, come on thats just rediculous and sexist.

Posted by BJ21 on (February 14, 2013, 0:49 GMT)

Reminds me of the Football World Cup in 1982, when West Germany and Austria knew a 1-0 win for Germany would send them both through, so they scored early on and passed the ball around pointlessly for the rest of the game.

Posted by challagalla on (February 14, 2013, 0:32 GMT)

Sad England are out. They and Australia were by far the two best teams. I cannot believe Australia deliberately lost to face an easier opponent. The format is less than ideal and needs to be tweaked.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2013, 23:48 GMT)

That's all cricket needs, some more potential dodgy results! I've not seen the Oz wickets but it was one hell of a collapse, if there really was 3 run outs well then it needs investigating. Can imagine the vultures would have been out in force already if it was the mens game!

Posted by Meety on (February 13, 2013, 23:41 GMT)

@Edd Oliver - reality check, had England's performances over the course of the rest of the tournament had been up to scratch, the Oz v WI match should not of mattered. Bear in mind England lost to Sri Lanka, so ALL FAULT lies with England. No ICC involvement needed. The WI played really well against Oz earlier in the year in a T20, so it is not really a shock!

Posted by rsgarcia on (February 13, 2013, 19:43 GMT)

Actually, losing the major cause of England's exit. And they know it if you don't.

Posted by Surajdon9 on (February 13, 2013, 19:32 GMT)

Bad Luck is the major cause of England Exist..

Abhishek PurohitClose
Tournament Results
Aus Women v WI Women at Mumbai (BS) - Feb 17, 2013
Aus Women won by 114 runs
Eng Women v NZ Women at Mumbai (BS) - Feb 15, 2013
Eng Women won by 4 wickets (with 18 balls remaining)
SA Women v SL Women at Cuttack - Feb 15, 2013