Final Match, Singer Triangular Series, Sri Lanka v South Africa, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1614th ODI in cricket history.
- It was Sri Lanka's 329th and South Africa's 202nd match in ODIs.
- It was the 19th meeting between these two sides. The record now
reads : Sri Lanka 9, South Africa 9, while one match was abandoned.
- Umpires BC Cooray and Peter Manuel were officiating in their 47th
and 34th match respectively.
- Jacques Kallis was playing his 100th match. He became eighth South
African and 106th player overall to do so.
- Sri Lanka's total (294-7) is its highest against South Africahome
or away. This obliterates the previous highest of 258 (in 47. 5 overs)
at Nottingham on 14-08-1998. Incidentally Sri Lanka's previous highest
against South Africa on home soil was 247 for 7 at Galle on 06-07-2000
in the second match of this tournament.
- The sixth wicket stand of 37 runs between Russell Arnold and
Chaminda Vaas is Sri Lanka's best for this wicket position against
South Africa. This obliterates the previous record stand of 35 between
Roshan Mahanama and Mahela Jayawerdene at Northampton on 19-05-2000.
- South Africa's total (264-9) is its highest against Sri Lanka
batting second-home-or-away. The previous highest was 212 in 48. 2
overs at Galle on 06-07-2000 in the second match of this tournament.
- The seventh wicket stand of 54 runs between Rhodes and Klusener is
best for South Africa against Sri Lanka for this wicket. This expunges
the previous record stand of 46 between Rhodes and Derek Crookes at
Johannesburg on 05-04-1998.
- Muttiah Muralitharan captured five wicket haul for the third time in
his career. The other two occasions being 5 for 23 against Pakistan at
Benoni on 15-04-1998 and 5 for 34 against England at Lord's on
20-08-1998. Muralitharan has now also equalled Sanath Jayasuriya's
tally of five wicket hauls for Sri Lanka.
- Muralitharan's figures (5-44) are also the best for Sri Lanka
against South Africa beating Champaka Ramanayake's 4 for 17 at Colombo
RP on 04-09-1993.
- It was the second occasion when Muralitharan captured a five wicket
haul in the final of a tournament (in which three or more teams were
participating). The earlier such occasion for him was in the final of
Emirates Triangular Tournament against England at Lord's on 20-08-1998
(Muralitharana had then taken 5 for 34). Muralitharan became first Sri
Lankan and only the fifth bowler in ODI history to capture five wicket
hauls in the final of a tournament on two separate occasions. Others
to do so are West Indian Joel Garner and Curtly Ambrose, Australian
Glenn McGrath and Pakistani Azhar Mahmood.
- Kumar Sangakkara became sixth wicketkeeper on eighth occasion to
effect three stumpings in a match. Others to do so are Australia's Ian
Healy (twice), Sri Lanka's Romesh Kaluwitharana(twice), Pakistan's
Salim Yousuf and Moin Khan and West Indian Ridley Jacobs.
- The victory was Sri Lanka's 10th title win in ODIs.
- At the end of the series:
Sri Lanka's overall ODI record : played 329, won 128, lost 185, Tied 2 and abandoned 14.
Pakistan's overall ODI record : played 476, won 246 , lost 214, tied 6 and abandoned 10.
South Africa's overall ODI record : played 202, won 124, lost 72, tied 1 and abandoned 5.
Sanath Jayasuriya's captaincy record : played 28, won 17, lost 9, tied 1 and abandoned 1.
Shaun Pollock's captaincy record : played 9, won 4, lost 5.
Moin Khan's captaincy record : played 24, won 15, lost 9.