|New Zealand 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|BA Young||not out||267||605||422||37||0||63.27|
|BA Pocock||c Mahanama b Vaas||18||85||64||0||0||28.12|
|MJ Horne||c Mahanama b Ranatunga||66||143||108||8||1||61.11|
|SP Fleming*||c Zoysa b Wickramasinghe||51||69||59||8||0||86.44|
|NJ Astle||b Vaas||27||54||48||5||0||56.25|
|DL Vettori||c Mahanama b Vaas||1||14||13||0||0||7.69|
|CL Cairns||c Mahanama b Zoysa||70||141||123||9||1||56.91|
|AC Parore†||c Wickramasinghe b Vaas||19||45||28||3||0||67.85|
|DN Patel||not out||30||47||42||1||1||71.42|
|Extras||(lb 14, w 2, nb 21)||37|
|Total||(7 wickets dec; 146 overs)||586||(4.01 runs per over)|
|WPUJC Vaas||35||6||144||4||4.11||(5nb, 1w)|
|Sri Lanka 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|ST Jayasuriya||b Doull||0||12||7||0||0||0.00|
|RS Mahanama||lbw b Doull||26||102||75||2||0||34.66|
|MS Atapattu||lbw b Doull||25||82||66||3||0||37.87|
|PA de Silva||c Patel b Davis||3||4||4||0||0||75.00|
|A Ranatunga*||c Young b Doull||14||48||40||1||0||35.00|
|HP Tillakaratne||not out||55||246||160||8||0||34.37|
|RS Kaluwitharana†||c Fleming b Patel||43||81||50||5||0||86.00|
|WPUJC Vaas||c Horne b Patel||2||18||17||0||0||11.76|
|GP Wickramasinghe||c †Parore b Davis||43||77||76||6||0||56.57|
|DNT Zoysa||c Young b Davis||0||11||7||0||0||0.00|
|M Muralitharan||c Cairns b Doull||0||13||10||0||0||0.00|
|Extras||(lb 10, w 1)||11|
|Total||(all out; 85.2 overs)||222||(2.60 runs per over)|
|Sri Lanka 2nd innings (following on)||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|ST Jayasuriya||c †Parore b Doull||50||111||68||6||0||73.52|
|RS Mahanama||b Doull||21||65||46||3||0||45.65|
|MS Atapattu||b Patel||22||88||57||2||0||38.59|
|PA de Silva||lbw b Astle||0||20||14||0||0||0.00|
|A Ranatunga*||c Horne b Vettori||13||58||45||1||0||28.88|
|HP Tillakaratne||run out (sub [CZ Harris])||8||61||55||0||0||14.54|
|RS Kaluwitharana†||c & b Vettori||103||134||103||13||2||100.00|
|WPUJC Vaas||c & b Davis||57||130||97||7||1||58.76|
|GP Wickramasinghe||c Doull b Astle||0||5||8||0||0||0.00|
|DNT Zoysa||not out||16||33||16||3||0||100.00|
|M Muralitharan||c & b Doull||26||18||14||4||1||185.71|
|Extras||(lb 9, nb 3)||12|
|Total||(all out; 86.3 overs)||328||(3.79 runs per over)|
- Lunch: NZ 92/1 (Young 41*, Horne 17*)
- Tea: NZ 203/2 (Young 94*, Fleming 3*)
- BA Young 50 off 105 balls, 6x4. 11th Test 50.
- MJ Horne 50 off 80 balls, 9x4, 1x6. Maiden Test 50 in his 2nd Test.
- BA Young and MJ Horne set a new record 2nd wicket partnership for New Zealand v Sri Lanka of 141 (previous best: 76 by JG Wright and AH Jones at Auckland in 1990/91).
- BA Young 100 off 203 balls, 273 mins, 16x4. 2nd Test 100.
- SP Fleming 50 off 54 balls, 8x4, 12th Test 50.
- Play ended 3.2 overs early due to rain but came back 23 mins after the scheduled close of play to complete them.
- BA Young 150 off 253 balls, 23x4. Test 150. First time a New Zealand batsman has scored 150 since AH Jones v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990/91.
- Lunch: NZ 433/5 (Young 187*, Cairns 50*)
- Tea: NZ 586/7 dec. (Young 267*, Patel 30*)
- CL Cairns 50 off 96 balls, 119 mins, 6x4, 1x6. 9th Test 50 and 3rd in consecutive innings.
- BA Young dropped by RS Mahanama at 2nd slip off the bowling of DNT Zoysa with his score on 155 and New Zealand at 349/5.
- BA Young 200 off 355 balls, 519 mins, 29x4. 7th ever double century by a New Zealander in Tests and 6th New Zealand player to achieve it.
- RS Mahanama 4 catches in New Zealand's 1st innings equals the Sri Lankan Test record already held by himself and HP Tillakaratne.
- 9th occasion New Zealand scores over 500 (previous occasion: 671/4 dec. v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91).
- BA Young 250 off 406 balls, 595 mins, 36x4. 3rd ever New Zealander to achieve this score.
- DN Patel dropped by ST Jayasuriya at gully off the bowling of DNT Zoysa with his score on 22 and New Zealand at 565/7.
- BA Young 267* (off 421 balls, 605 mins, 37x4) is the 2nd highest ever individual score by a New Zealander in Tests (highest: MD Crowe 299 v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91) and also 2nd highest ever by any player against Sri Lanka (highest: same as above). It is the 28th highest individual innings in Test history and largest score since BC Lara's 375 for West Indies v England at St Johns in 1993-94. It is the highest ever score by a New Zealand opener (previous best: GM Turner 259 v West Indies at Georgetown in 1971-72). It is the highest score by any player made at Carisbrook, Dunedin (previous best: 201 by Mushtaq Mohammad for Pakistan in 1971-72, previous New Zealand best: 143 by GT Dowling v India in 1967-69). Also it is the 2nd best aggregate runs scored in a match by a New Zealander (best: MD Crowe 329 [30 & 299] v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91).
- New Zealand's 586/7 dec. is their 2nd highest ever total in Tests (highest: 671/4 dec. v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91). It is also the 2nd ever highest total against Sri Lanka (highest: same as above). It is the highest ever total by any side at Carisbrook, Dunedin (previous best: Pakistan 507/6 dec. in 1972-93; previous New Zealand best: 350 v India in 1967-68).
- Lunch: SL 150/7 (Tillakaratne 30*, Wickramasinghe 2*)
- Tea: SL 222 (Tillakaratne 55*)
- HP Tillakaratne 50 off 142 balls, 208 mins, 8x4.
- New 8th wicket partnership record for Sri Lanka v New Zealand set by HP Tillekeratne and GP Wickremasinghe of 73 (previous best: 69 by HP Tillekeratne and SD Anurasiri at SSCG, Colombo in 1992-93).
- GP Wickramasinghe 43 is his highest score in Tests (previous best: 28 v Australia at Perth, 1995-96).
- SB Doull's 5-58 is his 5th 5-wicket bag and 3rd this season. It is the 3rd best innings haul by a New Zealander against Sri Lanka.
- New Zealand captain SP Fleming enforced Sri Lanka to follow-on It is only the 8th time in 251 Tests played by New Zealand that they have had the opportunity to enforce the follow-on (7th occasion that they did so). 364 runs represents the 2nd largest 1st innings lead by New Zealand in Tests (highest: 374 v Australia at Brisbane in 1985-86).
- Tea taken early at the conclusion of the Sri Lankan 1st innings thus extending the final session by 30 minutes.
- Rain ended play for the day after 9.4 overs of the 39 minimum to be bowled.
- Lunch: SL 102/4 (Ranatunga 4*, Tillakaratne 1*)
- Tea: SL 221/6 (Kaluwitharana 71*, Vaas 28*)
- RS Kaluwitharana dropped by SB Doull (caught and bowled) with his score on 2 and Sri Lanka at 120/5.
- RS Kaluwitharana 50 off 46 balls, 68 mins, 8x4, 1x6. 4th Test 50.
- RS Kaluwitharana 100 off 98 balls, 130 mins, 15x4, 2x6. 2nd Test 100.
- WPUJC Vaas 50 off 94 balls, 128 mins, 6x4, 1x6.
- Record 7th wicket partnership for Sri Lanka v New Zealand set by RS Kaluwitharana and WPUCJ Vaas of 138 (previous best: 89 by CI Dunusinghe and WPUCJ Vaas at Napier in 1994-95).
- M Muralitharan 26 is his highest Test score (previous best: 20* v Pakistan at PSS, Colombo in 1994-95).
- BA Young was on the field for every ball of the match.
- New Zealand's 1st win at home since 1993-94 v Pakistan at Christchurch (NZ won by 5 wickets, BA Young also scoring 120).
- New Zealand's 35th Test win and 5th against Sri Lanka in 14 Tests between the 2 countries (NZ's best record against any country on winning percentage of Tests played). It is the 7th innings victory in Tests by New Zealand and 3rd against Sri Lanka.