World Twenty20 2012

The team(s) of the tournament

ESPNcricinfo's writers, who were at the World Twenty20, pick their best XIs and explain their choices

October 8, 2012

Shane Watson made fifty from 28 balls, Australia v India, World T20 2012, Colombo, September, 28, 2012
Who else but Shane Watson at the top? © AFP

Sambit Bal's picks

Twenty20, I have always believed, is a game for specialists. Because every over is crucial and because a match can change course in a matter of balls, a team must employ at all times players capable of taking charge. So if you can bowl a bit and bat a bit, and do a job on the field, get yourself another job. I am looking for only match-winners.

The openers pick themselves. Both Shane Watson and Chris Gayle failed in their final matches, but who'd dare keep them out? Between them they scored nearly 500 runs at 150, and hit 31 sixes. If they got going together, fielders could actually relax - the crowd would be busy catching. Behind them are the men of silk and style. Both have been pushed down a slot, but Mahela Jayawardene and Virat Kolhi can purr as well as vroom, and have the technique to find runs on tough pitches.

Marlon Samuels would have been a serious candidate even before the final, but after that innings he just saunters in. That he can give a couple of overs of fast spin, though I would be loath to bowl him, gives him a few more points. Not considering Kieron Pollard is personal choice, and Michael Hussey, in this case is far more versatile cricketer. The wicketkeeper was a tough choice, and I did consider MS Dhoni before settling for Brendon McCullum. He doesn't like batting lower down these days, but he has the goods to deliver at No. 7.

For bowlers, their batting wasn't even a consideration. Lasith Malinga wasn't in the list even before the final because he is no longer the trustworthy match-winner he used to be. Mitchell Starc was the most impressive new-ball bowler of the tournament, both miserly, and attacking. Umar Gul was certainly an option, but I went for Steven Finn's wicket-taking ability both at the top and at the death. Tall bowlers are always tough to get away, and they get wickets out of nowhere.

There was hardly a doubt about the spinners. Greame Swann and R Ashwin did the job for their teams, but Saeed Ajmal and Sunil Narine were the best spinners of the tournament. If you can't pick them, you can't hit them.

And yes, I still trust Jayawardene to lead.

The XI: Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Virat Kohli, Marlon Samuels, Michael Hussey, Brendon McCullum (wk), Mitchell Starc, Saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine, Steven Finn

****

David Hopps' picks

Shane Watson has surely been the most valuable player of World Twenty20. Jot him down as an opener and, as he consistently gave Australia devastating starts with his medium pace, he immediately provides the balance that all teams crave.

To gain that balance, a batsman-keeper is also essential and, although Kumar Sangakkara came into contention, I wanted somebody with the power to bat at No. 7. I was tempted by Brendon McCullum, who had a fine tournament for New Zealand, but subcontinent pitches eventually swung it for MS Dhoni.

Dhoni will not captain, though, or for that matter have any say in team selection. The captaincy goes to Mahela Jayawardene, whose relaxed approach and wise counsel drew out the best from his Sri Lankan side. His lending of the captaincy in the final Super Eights game against England to Sangakkara to escape a potential overrate ban was a bit cheeky, but I can't get that annoyed about it; he retains my vote.

Jayawardene will have to bat at No. 3, though, to allow Chris Gayle to open with Watson. No batsman has such an obvious capability to wreak destruction. In the middle order, I have preferred Virat Kohli, India's next superstar, and Eoin Morgan, who likes games to be set up for him and who should have a better chance with this XI than he did with England. Michael Hussey's immense knowledge of his own game and ability to manage the most pressurised situation was used by Australia at No. 3, but in this side he can revert to No. 6, where he has batted before. Nasir Jamshed was the young player I omitted with reluctance.

That only leaves four specialist bowlers, with Gayle and Watson having to make up the fifth bowler - a vulnerability that opponents will have to punish if they are to have a chance of winning. Lasith Malinga, in front of his home crowd, and a left-armer, Mitchell Starc, who had a good tournament for Australia, get the new ball ahead of Dale Steyn and Steven Finn. Spin is left with the Pakistan pair of Saeed Ajmal and, for the sake of debate, Raza Hasan.

The XI: Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Virat Kohli, Eoin Morgan, Michael Hussey, MS Dhoni (wk), Mitchell Starc, Raza Hasan, Saeed Ajmal, Lasith Malinga

****

Sunil Narine bowled superbly taking 3 for 20, New Zealand v West Indies, Super Eights, World Twenty20 2012, Pallekele, October 1, 2012
Sunil Narine: miserly and mysterious © AFP

Andrew Fernando's picks

The trouble with picking batsmen from a Twenty20 tournament is that the men in the middle order rarely get the opportunity to make big contributions. Twelve of the tournament's top 13 run-scorers bat in the top three, and I've given in to sheer weight of numbers and stacked my top six with three openers and two No. 3s. Mahela Jayawardene and Marlon Samuels are batting slightly out of position (although Jayawardene did bat at first drop in the group stage), while Brendon McCullum has been sent way down the order because he was once a good finisher.

I had toyed with the idea of leaving Chris Gayle out of my XI before he proved me a fool by treating Australia's attack like a piñata that had made a move on his sister. He is also in charge of the music on the team bus.

Shane Watson's inclusion is obvious and Jayawardene has made vital runs for Sri Lanka, quite apart from being the best captain on show for much of the tournament. Virat Kohli appeared to be batting in a different match from most of his team-mates, and Samuels muscles out Luke Wright with an incredible innings in the final. Staggeringly, Umar Akmal was the closest thing to a consistent finisher and McCullum takes the gloves ahead of Kumar Sangakkara who had a forgettable tournament behind the stumps.

Sunil Narine's three-ball sequence to bowl Ed Joyce around his legs was among the highlights of the tournament and, over the past three weeks, Narine has proved he has more strings to his bow than just mystery. West Indies team-mate Ravi Rampaul achieved quietly, but delivered a stunner to dismiss Tillakaratne Dilshan in the final. Ajantha Mendis also bowled his way into the XI in the final, while his team-mate, Lasith Malinga, bowled his way out of it.

The XI: Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Marlon Samuels, Virat Kohli, Brendon McCullum (wk), Umar Akmal, Ravi Rampaul, Sunil Narine, Mitchell Starc, Ajantha Mendis

****

Abhishek Purohit's picks

The presence of Shane Watson and Chris Gayle in the XI pushes Luke Wright down to No. 3. Virat Kohli and Nasir Jamshed were considered for the slot, but the freedom with which Wright batted - he has the highest strike-rate in the XI - puts him ahead of the duo. Mahela Jayawardene is the overwhelming choice to lead the side, but he bats at No. 4, a position which he is not unfamiliar with at all. Marlon Samuels' epic 78 in the final confirms his place, while the experience and adaptability of Michael Hussey is handy at No. 6, though he didn't bat at that position for Australia in the tournament.

The choice of a wicketkeeper who could score quickly at No. 7 was difficult, as most of them now bat up the order. Brendon McCullum makes it for having batted that low down the order before. Both Mitchell Starc and Steven Finn were impressive in foreign conditions, and fill the fast-bowling slots ahead of other contenders. It is very hard to leave out one of Saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine and Ajantha Mendis. Ajmal and Narine make it for being consistently miserly through the tournament. As many as four batsmen are capable of filling in the fifth bowler's quota.

The XI: Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Luke Wright, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Marlon Samuels, Michael Hussey, Brendon McCullum (wk), Saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine, Steven Finn, Mitchell Starc

****

Jarrod Kimber's picks

Picking mythical teams is a pretty pointless pursuit, kind of like part-time offspin. I was at a lot of the World T20, and I remember a few of the matches. At the end of the day I didn't pick Ajantha Mendis over Sunil Narine or Saeed Ajmal because I think he's mentally weaker and only good if you can't pick him (hello West Indies and Zimbabwe) and rotten if you can't (New Zealand and England). He had a better tournament I suppose, if three games against two teams makes it a good tournament. But my team he is fighting off a horde cricketing ghouls, and I think they can pick him.

I picked Mitchell Starc mostly because I have this theory that left-arm bowlers are scientifically designed to be better in T20. There is no actual team of cricketing ghouls, it's mostly in my head, but if there was, they might struggle with left-arm pace.

This whole exercise is just designed to get readers really angry (as is much of ESPNcricinfo), so I really should have picked Rohit Sharma over Virat Kohli, or just not picked an Indian at all. On stats I could have justified it, but Kohli was the bee's knees when I saw him, and I'm picking him in this team. Rohit Sharma is my 12th man.

Chris Gayle, Marlon Samuels and Shane Watson are probably in everyone's teams, as is Luke Wright, but I am bucking that disturbing trend.

Nasir Jamshed is in the side mostly because I like him and when he batted well Pakistan looked like they could win the tournament. Dale Steyn is in the side because he deserves special treatment for having to carry South Africa. Michael Hussey beat Ross Taylor because although I think Taylor is the most complete T20 batsmen in world cricket, he couldn't win against the West Indies, and I think in the same situation Hussey would have. Kumar Sangakkara is in because, I don't know … as wicketkeeper and last-minute captain if needed. Maybe I have unresolved Brendon McCullum issues.

I have picked two captains, George Bailey and Darren Sammy, both in the non-playing roles their critics despise.

The XI: Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Marlon Samuels, Nasir Jamshed, Virat Kohli, Kumar Sangakkara, Michael Hussey, Saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine, Mitchell Starc, Dale Steyn

Posted by kingkarthik on (October 11, 2012, 12:30 GMT)

My Wold XI - Watto, Gayle, Mahela, Marlon, Hussey, Kallis, McCullum, Starc, Finn, Ajmal, Narine. 12th man - Myself :)

Now this my friends is a balanced team.

- Batting wise I have 7 batsmen (Watto, Gayle, Mahela, Marlon, Hussey, Kallis, McCullum) - Fast Bowling wise I have 4 bowlers (Watto, Kallis, Starc, Finn) - Spin Bowling wise I have 4 bowlers (Gayle, Marlon, Ajmal, Narine) - Medium lollypop bowlers I have 2 bowlers (Mahela and Hussey)

Posted by 06VarunSharma on (October 11, 2012, 12:05 GMT)

Do anyone has any question?? 1 Shane Watson 2 Gayle 3 Virat Kohli 4 Yuvraj Singh 5 MSD (C/WKT) 6 Mike Hussey 7 Polard 8 Ashwin 9 A Mendis 10 Malinga 11 Dale Steyn

Posted by JG2704 on (October 11, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

@vishal_oswal83 on (October 10 2012, 14:33 PM GMT) Great side , I just wouldn't have Wright in there unless he was much higher up in the batting line up as he's unlikely to bowl and it's a bit of a luxury having a player at 7 who doesn't bowl or keep wicket. 1st time round for Eng he shifted down the order to 7 and it didn't work at all

Posted by JG2704 on (October 11, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

@Blake Houston on (October 11 2012, 07:51 AM GMT) Agree re Wright but re Morgan - he had a fantastic inns vs WI but do you think he had a wonderful tournament.? I must admit that of our batsmen only Wright exceeded expectations.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 11, 2012, 10:16 GMT)

@RG22 on (October 11 2012, 05:43 AM GMT) the subject is "The team(s) of the tournament" not the best T20 side in the world so of course it's based on the tournament and I'd say if AB captained the side they'd still find a way to lose

Posted by SuperSharky on (October 11, 2012, 9:44 GMT)

If the team will play in Sri Lanka in the same conditions as the last World Cup, then no other Rest Of The World team will beat : The XI: Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Marlon Samuels, Virat Kohli, Brendon McCullum (wk), Luke Wright, Ravi Rampaul, Sunil Narine, Mitchell Starc, Ajantha Mendis and 12th man - Saeed Ajmal, 13th man - Steven Finn. But like I said, this team is picked because of their performance in the last tournament and will be suited for pitches in Sri Lanka conditions. Malinga would be my 14th choice.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2012, 7:51 GMT)

My XI would be, Gayle, Watson, Kohli, Wright, Morgan, Samuels, McCullum(wk & Capt), Starc, Finn, Mendis, Narine. Hard to leave out Ajmal but I wanted Mendis, didnt pick Jayawardena because Kohli is better and Wright and Morgan had wonderful Tournaments and can take a game away from the opposition faster then what Mahela can!

Posted by RG22 on (October 11, 2012, 6:23 GMT)

World Xl Team should be with match winners and match winners only aka Power Player who are capable to hit any bowler out of the ground and trash the quality bowlers as well. Sanga / Jayawardena/ hafeez ? have no place in T20 team and other players like Sehwag, Dilsan, Afridi are not reliable much because intelligent accurate bowlers easily set them up with low score as most of the professional bowlers knows their weakness. so world Xl should be picked with skillful power players who can rotate the strike and hit sixes and score 20+ runs to any bowler around the world.

Posted by RG22 on (October 11, 2012, 5:43 GMT)

World Xl T20 Should not be based on one tournament i think, so i got somewhat different team =) 1) Gayle 2) Watson 3) Kevin Piterson 4) Youvraj Singh 5) AB de Villiers 6) Andrew Symond 7) MS Dhoni 8) Starc 9) Steyn 10) Ajmal 11) Finn 12th man Narine, anyone can captain this team and school the opponent teams

Posted by Jimi01 on (October 11, 2012, 0:40 GMT)

Mahela Jayawardene capt in all of them except one! why did he retire?!

Posted by Htc-Android on (October 10, 2012, 21:50 GMT)

@vishal_oswal83. where are the seamers. only seamer in the side.

Posted by Htc-Android on (October 10, 2012, 21:47 GMT)

@Selassie-I. what r u kidding me. all these based on this tournament. plus sachin dint play in this tournament and hes not a t20 material. he is more suitable to tests and ODIs

Posted by JG2704 on (October 10, 2012, 21:34 GMT)

Can people who have AB in their side explain exactly what he has done in this tournament to justify his inclusion? After scoring 30 off 13 (decent knock admittedly) his next 3 inns totalled 59 from 55 balls. Maybe I'm harsh having him in my Flops 11 and maybe that was much to do with his poor captaincy and such a high expectancy level but in the games where he and the SA batsmen needed to deliver he didn't deliver once. I think every other player folk have had in their 11s I can either agree with or see why they are included except AB.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

my team / crist gayle, watson , viratkohlii, mahela jayawardene{c}m.hussey,ms dhoni{wk} jp duminy Steyn, umar gul , ajmal{RHB} rangana herath {LHB}

Posted by DaGameChanger on (October 10, 2012, 20:37 GMT)

Technical error if you pick McCullum batting at No 7, he is useless at that number. He is not the finisher. I would prefer Dhoni and especially on this is srilankan pitches.

Posted by kbgupta on (October 10, 2012, 19:37 GMT)

I wud prefer Steyn over finn....rest sambit's squad is nyc...

Posted by Selassie-I on (October 10, 2012, 16:55 GMT)

Jarrod's team has made me really angry. Also i'm outraged that Sachin tendulkar hasn't been mentioned in anybody's tema at all?? coe one cricinfo sort it out please..

Posted by ssmon88 on (October 10, 2012, 16:47 GMT)

Watson, Gayle, Jayawardene, Kohli, Samuels, Luke Wright, MacCullum, Narine, Starc, Ajmal, Mendis, 12th man-Balaji(look at his stats)

Posted by shajw on (October 10, 2012, 16:37 GMT)

My XI: Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Mohammed Hafeez, Mahela Jayawardena (c), Marlon Samuels, Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers (wk), Ajantha Mendis, Sunil Narine, Saeed Ajmal, Steven Finn

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 15:03 GMT)

So much talent to choose from so its difficult. Laughed at many who had 4-5 Indian players, why not go the hog and throw in 6 England players also? That can be the comedy team. I loved UK-chaps comment who says Aus can't play spin. This is from England who were all out for 80 against India. For what its worth in batting order , S. Watson, C. Gayle, M. Jayawardene, M. Samuals, V. Kholi, A.B.DeVilliers (or K. Sangakkara, I cannot separate them), D. Stein, M. Starc, S. Ajmal, A. Mendis and S. Narine. Yes some of these players had dud games, but overall, each one was a superstar for his team in more than one match during the tournament. Note there is no No 7 all rounder as (a) Watto bowls medium pace and with this batting line-up, its possible the wicket-keeper may not even get a bat. My only reservation is the fielding of a couple of the players could improve.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 14:47 GMT)

The Best Team:

Watson, Gayle, Kohli, Jayawardene(c), AB(wk), Samuels, Kulasekra, Steyn, Narine, Ajmal and Finn

The Worst Team (Excluding Bangladeshi cricketers and Associate Teams):

Kieswetter (wk), Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Hafeez(c), Thisara, Afridi, Hogg, Balaji, Dernbach, Edwards and Chawla 12th man: Kamran Akmal

Posted by vishal_oswal83 on (October 10, 2012, 14:33 GMT)

This would be by far the most dangerous team with regards to the performance of dis years World T20 ...... In batting order 1) Watson 2) Gayle 3) McCullum (WK) 4) Kolhi 5) Jayawardene (C) 6) Samuels 7) Wright 8) Narine 9) Mendis 10) Ajmal 11) Starc This teams has got everything to win game like dashing openers, classy middle order, explosive lower order batsmen to change the game, world class spinners, fast & furious left arm seamer, useful part timers .... I bet u cant get a better team den dis

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 14:28 GMT)

gayle,watson,jayawardene,kohli,m.hussey,samules,mccullum(wk),starc,ajmal,narine,steyn

Posted by Siddhunz89 on (October 10, 2012, 14:21 GMT)

where is luke wright?? hasn't he done better than samuels?

Posted by Neuen on (October 10, 2012, 14:15 GMT)

Brendon McCullum the minnow basher. Made one score against a minnow then failed the rest of the series. Ross Taylor stepped up at crunch time and at times came in when the situation was virtually impossible.

Shane Watson fail when he needs to produce. He is only of any vallue in dead rubber games and when the pressure is not on

Dale Steyn had a economy rate of 4.83 in 5 matches. No one I repeat no one who bowled over 10 overs had lesser economy rate.

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (October 10, 2012, 13:51 GMT)

picking Samuels based on few performances is a waste. He is not good against left arm swing bowlers.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 13:46 GMT)

in my point of view this team is better one.....Gayle, Watson, Kohli, De villiers, Jayawardane, U.Akmal, Dhoni, Starc, Ajmal, Mendis, Raza Hasan

Posted by Neuen on (October 10, 2012, 13:25 GMT)

Hafeez produced in pressure situations even getting the crucial wicket of Sangakara and only bowled 2 overs.

The 5 players who made the impact for their respective sides in crunch games when the pressure is on is Mohammad Hafeez, Marlon Samuels, Chris Gayle, Shane Watson and Mahela Jayawardene.

Dwayne Bravo was the guy who could absorb the most pressure of all the Windies players and Bravo stabilised the innings whenever West Indies was in trouble or racing along and played an critical, role in West Indies' road to the title.

Jayawardene was the sole reason Sri Lanka got in the final. When he failed Sri Lanka failed. And he failed only once against SA a game which they lost.

The top bowlers were Ajantha Mendis, Sunil Narine, Dale Steyn, Steven Finn, Shane Watson and Mitchell Starc. Only 2 spinners in spin friendly conditions. Just show the lack of quality bowlers and Dhoni personal problems with Singh and leaving him out was really a bad call and really selfish.

Posted by Neuen on (October 10, 2012, 13:15 GMT)

Really guys? Did the experts from ESPN just took the best run scorers and top wicket takers and throw them in one team? Statistics do show you something but hide the most important part.

Chris Gayle - First of all I totally agree with Chris Gayle. He finally delivered in a tournament when it really mattered. Anyone surprised that the semi final was his first time actually firing at crunch time?

Shane Watson - Yes he scored the most runs and took the 2nd number of wickets than all but what was his real impact on games? Against Pakistan they barely made the runs needed to qualify for the next stage with him failing but he took 1 wicket. Crunch time. No 2nd chances you lose your out pressure situation. He failed with both bat and ball in 0-35 in 4 overs and made 7 in the semi against West Indies. A perfect example of how conventional tally stats are so misleading. Mohammad Hafeez failed in the dead rubbers and produce with both bat and ball in pressure situations.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 10, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

Re Steyn - Yes it has to be said that even on a not so good day his figures were better than I thought they'd be (like against Pakistan). I guess he might have been overlooked because of the (lack of) achievement of SA which was probably mostly to do with their batsmen underperforming. I suppose against his selection (although not his fault) , guys like Starc , Cummins and even Mallinga (despite a bad final) did it for longer

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

David Hopps' picking Hassan Raza, seems to stunned many but its an intelligent pick ...

Posted by JG2704 on (October 10, 2012, 13:06 GMT)

@Madhav Goel on (October 10 2012, 06:24 AM GMT) Re Starc's lack of experience - it's who has had the best tournament and not who the current best T20 side is. Re AB - do you really think his tournament performances merit selection. VS SL he scored 30 off 13 which was obviously a top knock but then in 3 Super 8 inns his combined batting was 59 off 55. I actually had him as captain of my flops team because I thought his performances were way below what I expected of him and his captaincy at times was shocking. Maybe I'm harsh there but surely he does not deserve to be in the side based on the above figures

Posted by JG2704 on (October 10, 2012, 13:06 GMT)

@bestofluckindia on (October 09 2012, 22:42 PM GMT) Fair point re fielding but is Ajmal bad in that dept? I know Narine is poor but I thought Gayle was fairly decent on his day

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 11:46 GMT)

My Team: 15 squads, Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Kumar Sangakkara(wk), Mahela Jayawardena (C), Virat Kohli, Marlon Samuel, AB de velliers, Luke Wrigth, Michael Hussey, Sunil Narine, Ajantha Mendis, Saeed Ajmal, Michal Starc, Nuwan Kulasekara, Dale Steyn.

Posted by doham on (October 10, 2012, 11:05 GMT)

how can Dhoni seriously get anywhere near any team?!? He was USELESS!!! what is the point of playing mahela down the order and not letting him build an innings as his game demands? Jayawerdena, Gayle, Watson, Samuels, Wright, Taylor, McCullum, Starc, Ajmal, Narine, Mendis

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 10:52 GMT)

If we consider only this world cup, NO keeper is more skillful then Brendon McCullum, Selection of Dhoni should not be the Good Choice Mr. David Hopps

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 10:38 GMT)

None of the lists conform to the rule of picking players as per the position they played and were most successful in, during the tournament. I will stick by that rule and come with the following:

Watson, Gayle, McCullum, Samuels, Morgan, U Akmal, Dhoni, Starc, Finn, Raza Hasan, Mendis

Posted by UK_Chap on (October 10, 2012, 10:12 GMT)

Narine is the biggest load of hype. Did not see anything from him in the tournment to indicate that he has the skill or the stomach when the chips are down. In the final he bowled on a an extremely helpful pitch. The semi final Windies played against Australia, who cannot play spin to save their own life.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 10:09 GMT)

By going through the current form and performance, i am not finding difficult to select 12 men from all teams. for opening slot ,i directly appoints Gayle and Watson,Mahela add a flavor in middle as he can play a vital role in middle overs in Lanka conditions. i will prefer Luke ahead of Virat in case of power play,otherwise Virat will come at number 1. Mahela,then Luke,Samuels and MaCullum to follow. On bowling side, Dale will always be on top with new ball and will be well supported by Starc. We have Narine and Ajmal to follow,that can break the flow of run of any power full batting attach. Fifth bowling option will be filled by Watson,Samuels. My World Xi will be : 1.Chris Gayle 2. Shane Watson 3.Mahela Jayawardene(C) 4. Virat Kohali 5. Luke Wright 6. Brendon McCullum (wk) 7. Marlon Samuels 8. Mitchell Starc 9. Saeed Ajmal 10. Sunil Narine 11. Dale Steyn

For 12th man i will go for Kumar Sangakara, because he can lead the team as well as he can be a reserve wicketkeeper als

Posted by Tigg on (October 10, 2012, 9:57 GMT)

I'd go: Gayle, Watson, Wright, Jayawardene(c), Morgan, Samuels, Sanga(+), Ajmal, Narine, Rampaul, Finn.

With Sanga moving up the order ahead of Morgan and Samuels if several quick wickets fall.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 9:42 GMT)

My World Eleven - C.Gayle, S.Watson, V.Kohli, Eoin Morgan, M.Hussey, B.McCullum (WK), Darren Sammy (C), Tim Southee, S.Narine, Dale Steyn, S.Ajmal.

Posted by SanSL5 on (October 10, 2012, 9:33 GMT)

on what grounds did Malinga get into any of these teams? his poor fielding or bowling performances? we expect way more from a player like him because he doesn't play test cricket! except for one super over and the England match Malinga hasn't delivered in the tournament. and i was surprised to see Sanga in a team as well. we expected lot more from him. to me Mahela is the definite Sri Lankan choice for the team. he has been very consistent in his batting and also showed superb captaincy skills.

Posted by Elamathian on (October 10, 2012, 9:32 GMT)

My Team

Playing !!

Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Virat Kohli, Eoin Morgan, Ab de velliers, Marlon Samuels, Brendon McCullum (wk), Mitchell Starc, Ajantha Mendis, Sunil Narine, Dale Steyn.

Bench:

Suresh Raina, Saeed Ajmal, Luke wright, Umar Gul

Posted by run4avi on (October 10, 2012, 9:08 GMT)

my team: Watson, Gayle, Kohli, Samuels, Jayawardena(c), McCullum, Steyn, Malinga, Narine, Ajmal, Mendis,

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 8:51 GMT)

My Team :Gayle,Watson,Kohli,Mccullam,Mike Hussey,Dhoni,Pollard,Albie Morkel,Mendis,Starc,Steyn or Aswin

Posted by NAJMUL MUNEER on (October 10, 2012, 8:46 GMT)

My eleven......Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene ( C) Marlosn Samuels, Virat Kohli, Brendon McCallum ( wk ), Saeed Ajmal, Steyn, Sunil Narine, Steven Finn, Umar Gul

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 8:35 GMT)

My team: 1. Watson, 2. Gayle, 3. Samuels, 4. Kohli, 5. Jawardene (c), 6. B McCullum (wk), 7. Morgan, 8. Styen, 9. Malinga, 10. Ajmal,11. Mendis,

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 8:32 GMT)

@Ray Mcphee. I am an Indian. I agree with you. No one in Indian team except kohli deserve to be in International XI. I would like saeed ajmal to be in all XIs. Best spinners were Saeed ajmal, sunil Narine and backup spinner would be Ajanta Mendis. In pace dept, Dale Steyn and Michele Starc.

a) Gayle b) Shane watson c) Kohli d) Mahela e) Hussey f) Marlon g) Umar Akmal or Brendon McCullum h) Saeed ajmal i) sunil Narine j) Dale Steyn and Michele Starc 12'th Man Ajantha Mendis

Posted by kensohatter on (October 10, 2012, 8:05 GMT)

1.Watson, 2. Gayle, 3. Develliers, 4. Warner, 5. M.Hussey, 6. McCullum, 7. Samuels 8. Vettori, 9. Steyn, 10. Gul, 11. Mendis

Posted by o-bomb on (October 10, 2012, 8:04 GMT)

If the teams listed above were in a tournament against each other I think I would back Sambit Bal's team, although it could be weird seeing Shane Watson bowl at Shane Watson (for example) in every game.

Posted by Xenoz on (October 10, 2012, 7:56 GMT)

my world XI - 1. Shane Watson 2. Chris Gayle 3. Mahela Jayawardene 4. Virat Kohli 5. Marlon Samuels 6. Brendon McCullum (wk) 7. Nuwan Kulasekara 8. Mitchell Starc 9. Ajantha Mendis 10. Sunil Narine 11. Dale Steyn

Posted by CricketPissek on (October 10, 2012, 7:54 GMT)

my XI: tendulkar, tendulkar, tendulkar (c), tendulkar, tendulkar, MS Dhoni (wk), tendulkar, tendulkar, tendulkar, tendulkar, tendulkar

Posted by trueanalyst on (October 10, 2012, 7:47 GMT)

Ludicrous team by David hopps.Leaving Sunil Narine,Dale Steyn.Picking Dhoni with 109 T20 strike rate & Laisth Malinga.Where is Marlon samuels,U got to be kidding. Of what use is a player who does not perform in Big stage.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 7:35 GMT)

my team-1.gayle2.watson3.kohli4.jaywardene5.devilers6.samuels7.m.hussey8.starc9.ajmal10.narine11.steyn

Posted by jagadishjack2000 on (October 10, 2012, 7:33 GMT)

Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Virat Kohli, Michael Hussey, Kumar Sangakara (wk), Marlon Samuels, Mitchell Starc, Sunil Narine, Dale Steyn

Posted by rajithwijepura on (October 10, 2012, 7:21 GMT)

MJ the Best captain. Thats why everyone pick him as captain of each team.

Posted by ranawath on (October 10, 2012, 7:18 GMT)

The Best team is 1- C. Gayle 2- S. Watson 3- V. Kohli 4- M. Samuels 5- M. Hussey 6- K. Pollard 7- MS Dhoni (C & WK) 8- S. Narine 9- S. Ajmal 10- D. Steyn 11- L. Malinga

Gayle & watson open the bat & Ajmal & Steyn open the bowl first...

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

How SA players can make the 11 after their horror performance? Isn't it based on the tournament just played on? My pick would be 1.Gayle 2.Watson 3.Samuels 4.Kohli 5.Mahela 6.McCullam 7. U.Akmal 8. Starc 9. Malinga 10. Narine 11. Ajanta Mendis 12. Mike Hussey

Posted by Tabrez_22 on (October 10, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

I bank on the players who plays with responsilbily and are most reliable and that would definitely not better than mentioned below; 1) Chris Gayle 2) Shane Watson 3) Brendon Mccullum(Wk) 4) Virat Kohli 5) Marlon Samuels 6) Mohammed Hafeez (Captain) 7) Shakib Al Hasan 8) Morne Morkel 9) Saeed Ajmal 10) Lasith Malinga 11) Dale Steyn

Posted by SNettem on (October 10, 2012, 6:56 GMT)

My T20 XI : Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Virat Kohli, Marlon Samuels, Michael Hussey, Brendon McCullum (wk), Mitchell Starc, Saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine, Steven Finn

Posted by senthil25 on (October 10, 2012, 6:42 GMT)

My team: Chris Gayle, Shane Watson,Virat Kholi,Brendon Mccullum,Luke Wright,Ms Dhoni(C & Wk),Thisara Perera,Narine,Ajmal,Syten,McStrac,Malinga.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 6:37 GMT)

my team is chris gayle,shane watson,virat kohli,marlon sameuls,luke wright,Mahender singh dhoni (capt/wk),malinga,dale steyn,sunil narine,mendis,steven finn. 12th man:-suresh raina,

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 6:33 GMT)

i'm surprised how come no one picked AB de Vellers. They put him back coz of his keeping skills not better than McCullm? my eleven will be 1. S.Watson 2. C. Gayle 3. Kohli 4.M. Jayawardane (C) 5. A.B.Devillers 6.M.Hussey 7. E.morgan 8. Mithcel Star 9. Sunil Narine 10. Saeed Ajmal 11. S.Finn

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

MY T20 XI - watson,gayle,kohli,de viliers,morgan,samuels,mathews,steyn,gul,narine,ajmal

Posted by SHANEDAPPAL on (October 10, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

my playing 11....1. Watson 2. Gyle 3. Kohli 4. Jayawardane (c) 5. samuvels 6.Ross tylor 7.maccullum (WK) 8.starc 9. Finn 10. narine 11. mendis

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 6:27 GMT)

My T20 XI - watso,gayle,kohli,morgan,samuels,devilliers(cpt),mathews,steyn,gul,ajmal,narine

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 6:24 GMT)

Selecting openers is a no-brainer. I really do not believe in going for inexperienced players like Starc who might have had a good tournament and amongst the keepers, Mcullum is a hit and miss and apart from 123, he had nothing in the tournament, and Dhoni & Sanga have lost wat they have in T20. I'd rather go for Devilliers and make Jaywardene captain with ABD as his deputy. My top XI: Chris Gayle Shane Watson Virat Kohli Mahela Jaywardene Samuels/Hussey (nothing to choose between them, both were good) AB DeVilliers Steyn Malinga Ajmal Narine

Posted by TheGreatestGameEverPlayed on (October 10, 2012, 6:22 GMT)

@Posted by Par rest of thth Patel; The best combination... huh haaa.... Since you have included Sreesanth, a dude didn't even play World T20 2012, you could have just named the rest of the Indian team instead of Gayle, Watson and so on...:)))

Posted by bolthaa on (October 10, 2012, 5:41 GMT)

@skvyas I dont see any captain material in your team... though I see some thing in (gayle, mccullum, watson) they are failed stuff wrt captaincy.. do you actually suggest non playing captian????

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 5:32 GMT)

My team: 1. Watson, 2. Gayle, 3. Samuels, 4. Kohli, 5. Jawardene (c), 6. B McCullum (wk), 7. Pollard, 8. Starc, 9. Narine, 10. Ajmal,11. Mendis, 12th Man Badree

Ajmal and Starc opens the bowling.

Posted by Sri_Lankan_pride_50 on (October 10, 2012, 5:25 GMT)

My T20 XI: 1. Shane Watson 2. Chris Gayle 3. Mahela Jayawardene 4. Virat Kohli 5. Marlon Samuels 6. Brendon McCullum (wk) 7. Michael Hussey 8. Mitchell Starc 9. Ajantha Mendis 10. Sunil Narine 11. Dale Steyn

Posted by Aziz_Hassan_Sangra on (October 10, 2012, 4:53 GMT)

Gud to see Gayle & Watson in all teams... My team hmmm ... I will go with the Sambit Bal's picks. seems more balanced and perfect for the format.

Posted by slogtocowcorner on (October 10, 2012, 4:47 GMT)

It's funny how you can pick a persons nationality by who they pick in there side! Well played by all!

Posted by yescric on (October 10, 2012, 4:43 GMT)

Jarrod's team is the best...

Posted by pratrox on (October 10, 2012, 4:38 GMT)

My T20 XI - Gayle,Watson,Kohli,Mahela (captain),Samuels,McCullum (wk),Narine,Mendis,Steyn,Ajmal,Balaji

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 4:37 GMT)

1. Chris Gayle 2. Shane Watson 3. Brendon Mcculum 4. Marlon Samuels 5. Mahela Jayawardena (captain) 6. Virath Kohli 7. Luke Wright 8. Dale Steyn 9. Mitchell Starc 10. Ajantha Mendis 11. Sunil Narine 12th man Saeed Ajmal

Posted by ahmad.basam10 on (October 10, 2012, 4:32 GMT)

Did you guys realise that all of the teams have Gayle & Watson as opening batsman.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 4:32 GMT)

Is it really me or do they have Sanga and Dhoni ahead of McCullum. and y do I not see Virat Kohli on your list Mr. Purohit. U have Luke wright instead of Virat Kohli. The rest of picks are ok. Infact looking at the batting order, personally i think B. McCullum with gloves will be a waste with the players that are there in the list. Umar Akmal can replace him with the gloves and can smash runs at No 6. BM, CG, SW are all openers, they go one place down they lose their value. Hope NZ realize it soon and get him to open the innings irrespective of what type of game they play.

Posted by Just_Pav on (October 10, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

Well At least I am glad, Samit didnot include his name in the top X1.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

Gayle n Watto pick themselves up ... Jayawardene is the obvious in the role of Captain and number 3 ... Wright, Samuels and Yuvi make up the middle order ... The only reason for Yuv is becaoz of his amazing talent with the bt and extremely effective pie-chuckers in t20 ... Brendon was always going to be the keeper in any squad that I have .... I am picking Starc as the fast bowler as we have one moe in Watto who could both share the new ball ... The other 3 are all spinners... Narine and Mendis are the obvious choices ... and I picked up Hafeez for his amazing economy ... and if needed can lend a hand with the bat too ................................................. My Dream XI ::::: 1. Chris Gayle 2. Shane Watson 3. Mahela Jayawardene (C) 4. Luke Wright 5. Marlon Samuels 6. Yuvraj Singh 7. Brendon McCullum (WK) 8. Mohammed Hafeez 9. Mitchel Starc 10. Ajantha Mendis 11. Sunil Narine

Posted by ahmad.basam10 on (October 10, 2012, 4:29 GMT)

My XI:

Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Nasir Jamshed, Marlon Samuels, Brendon McCullum (WK), Darren Sammy (C), Dale Steyn, Mitchell Starc, Raza Hasan, Sunil Narine, Saeed Ajmal

This looks like a very good team.

Posted by Ramansilva on (October 10, 2012, 4:19 GMT)

If it is a combined Asian team vs. the Champions (Windies), the Asian team of my choice is; 1. Mahela (C), 2. Nazir, 3. Sanga, 4. Virat, 5. Shakib 6. Dhoni (W), 7. Jeevan, 8. Gul, 9. Kulasekara 10. Ajantha, 11. Ajmal

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 4:04 GMT)

My T20 XI 1. Shane Watson 2. Chris Gayle 3.Mahela Jayawardene (capt) 4.Virat Kohli 5.Marlon Samuels 6.Michael Hussey 7.MS Dhoni (wk) 8.Ajantha Mendis 9.Sunil Narine 10.Dale Steyn 11.Ravi Raumpal

Posted by Xenoz on (October 10, 2012, 3:50 GMT)

you can clearly identify the Indian writers with the teams they select :). they might as well select the Indian team LOL

Posted by BG4cricket on (October 10, 2012, 3:45 GMT)

My team would be - Watson, Gayle, Jayawardene, Kohli, Samuels, Morgan, McCullum, Starc, Steyn, Ajmal, Ajantha Mendis

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 3:38 GMT)

make a best team of internationals and lets play with Sialkot Stallions if not to Pakistani national team....Sialkotis would beat them to ashes...

Posted by skvyas on (October 10, 2012, 3:19 GMT)

i think the best team should be like-1.gayle 2.watson 3.samuels 4.kohli 5.m.hussey 6.pollard 7.mccullum 8.narine 9.a.mendis. 10.steyn 11.starc

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 3:11 GMT)

LOL some of these guys are hopeless, Who the Hell picked Sangakara, dont get me wrong im a big fan of the guy but this was the worst ive seen him play EVER, not even close to B Mccullum who scored the highest total of the toournament and ended up averaging around 45. Also how do you leave out Malinga? he saved SL on more than one occasion especially against NZ where they should have been beaten. I also had to crack up at some of the obvious Indian fans who are trying to say that 5 or 6 indians should have been in there" did you not watch the T20 WC?????? your team was as bad as mine. it goe without saying that only 1 player from both of our teams deserved to make it McCullum and Kohli.

Posted by jahinoz on (October 10, 2012, 2:42 GMT)

Love that all the reporters teams include Gayle, Watson and Starc. Sensational players that deserve it.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 2:34 GMT)

Makes no sense, without Jadeja, Yusuf Pathan, Raina, Sehvagh, Gambhir, Zahir, Dhoni, Chawla etc. how any best team can be formed (just a joke) ?

Posted by Aditya0460 on (October 10, 2012, 1:23 GMT)

1. Chris Gayle 2. Shane Watson 3. Virat Kohli 4. Mahela Jaywardane (C) 5. Marlon Samuels 6. Brendon Mcculum (WK) 7. Kieron Pollard 8. Mitchell Starc 9. Lasith Malinga 10. Sunil Narine 11. Saeed Ajmal 12th man - Ravi Raumpal

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 1:19 GMT)

I don't understand how none of you considered AB de Villiers...Best wicketkeeper batsman in the game for mine...

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 1:10 GMT)

My team: - Shane Watson, CH Gayle, Virat Kohli, SR Raina, AB DEVIllers (wk), Darren Sammy(c), Irfan Pathan, SP Narine, Dale Steyn, SreeSanth, Ravi Ashwin

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 0:31 GMT)

I don't understand the logic of leaving ajantha mendis out of the side.. it should be mendis and narine rather than ajmal and narine.

Posted by Ajayanande on (October 10, 2012, 0:31 GMT)

My T20 XI 1. Shane Watson 2. Chris Gayle 3. Virat Kohli 4. Kumar Sangakkara (wk) 5. Mahela Jawardane (C) 6. Marlon Samuels 7. Sunil Narine 8. Mitchell Starc 9. Dale Steyn 10. Lasith Malinga 11. Saaed Ajmal

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 0:28 GMT)

ajmal made it all the way in all the teams except one were in i think another pakistani took his place that is umer akmal that forced the expert nt to pick up up another from the same country as he had to choose some f them from every team.i think umer akmal have no place in any team as he is not a match winner .he has gt fair share f chances in every format of the game.he has been there for a long time now but wenever he needs his team to carry home he isin default and looks like he is a liability to the team.he has been there fr almost three years now but he couldnot do it in three years wat kohlis and rainas did in a year or so.though With age on his side, Umar still has plenty of time to get his international career back on track and get his techique and temparament right inorder to become a leading batsman in every format of the game for pkistan.

Posted by sapkash on (October 9, 2012, 23:40 GMT)

There has to be some logic whenwe talk about the best indian player ever to have represented india in T20 and it is quite strange that we fail to notice suresh raina. He is the best fielder India has, has the best strike rate among indians, is very consistent for such a strike rate and can chance his arm...has been quite effective infact and MSD will vouch for it. For sometine till early this year he was the man to go to for MSD. Suresh is a typical short format player and if you go by this T20 world cup you will realise that he did exceptionally well when others around him failed. He was the no 3 player for MSD till recently. It seems that talent talk has taken precedence over proven talk...sending Rohit sharma before suresh raina is a shocker. Hope many would agree.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 23:23 GMT)

Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Marlon Samuels, Virat Kohli,Mike Hussy,Ross Tailor(c),Brendon McCullum (wk), Irfan Pathan, Sunil Narine, Mitchell Starc, Stvn Finn

12th man Saeed Ajmal

This is the best Team in 2012

with 5 allrounders

Posted by u.t.k.a.l on (October 9, 2012, 23:20 GMT)

My Team is :- 1.Watson 2.Gayle 3.Kphli 4.Samuels 5.Raina 6.De Villiers 7.Dhoni 8.Malinga 9.Starc 10.Narine 11.Ajmal

Posted by bestofluckindia on (October 9, 2012, 22:42 GMT)

I dont think any of the teams mentioned in this article would be a good fielding team.Gayle, Ajmal, Narine are not great fielders. You cannot pick players based on only batting or bowling or both capabilities.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 22:23 GMT)

My XI: Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Virat Kohli, Marlon Samuels, Michael Hussey, Brendon McCullum (wk), Mitchell Starc, Saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine, Malinga

You need some fire...despite what Samuels did to Malinga. That is not going to happen every day.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 22:18 GMT)

Not quite sure how Ajantha doesn't make ALL teams!!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 21:41 GMT)

Gayle, Watson, Kohli, Samuels, Sangakarra (wkt/cpt), M.Hussey, Mathews, Starc, Malinga, Ajmal, Narine ... I love this fantasy team stuff!! Could make it tougher by insisting on at least 1 player from each of the 12 teams in the tournament (so incl a 12th man).

Posted by sidzy on (October 9, 2012, 21:13 GMT)

Interestingly right through i m surprized to see virat kohli in this list when he just played 1 innings of hits and misses...

Posted by fuzz786 on (October 9, 2012, 21:11 GMT)

wow you guys are taking this a bit to serious. Get a grip.

Posted by div09 on (October 9, 2012, 21:00 GMT)

@Neutral_Guy - Are you mad??? Kohli at no.6......you must be joking! My team is 1.Gayle 2.Watson 3.Jayawardene 4.Kohli 5.Yuvraj 6.Pollard 7.Dhoni (C & WK) 8.Malinga 9.Narine 10.Ajmal 11.Steyn - I still think Dhoni is the best captain this world has, sometimes you just dont have the luck but you have the skill.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 20:54 GMT)

ALL - please DONT pick the best T20 players according to your expert opinion and put it here.. then it'll only be a matter of few days before this becomes the new Mumbai Indians batting line up.... :)

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 20:51 GMT)

There is no middle order without Michael Hussey

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 20:44 GMT)

@Shazli on (October 09 2012, 11:09 AM GMT) - Kholi is an absolutely class player. May I remind you that there are 10 other Indian players and Kholi surely cannot be held at all accountable for Aus reaching their target to easily

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

@ R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (October 09 2012, 12:32 PM GMT) Agree with points about Briggs and Mckay. I posted "Why no Mckay" on an Oz thread but surprisingly got no response. Thought Oz were the one team whose seamers outbowled their spinners

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

@ CricketMaan on (October 09 2012, 12:46 PM GMT) Exactly what match did Keiswetter become a wonder in this tournament?

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 20:41 GMT)

@ Jannie Swart on (October 09 2012, 13:07 PM GMT) AB De Villiers - are you sure about that? His captaincy probably booked the team early plane tickets home

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 20:40 GMT)

Being an Indian, I am proud that Virat Kohli makes it to all the teams!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 20:33 GMT)

Was David Hopps watching the world T20. Eoin Morgan!!? Thats crazy, he left out Marlon Samuels and Sunil Narine. Most of the teams are without Ajantha Mendis. Can't have both Gayle and Watson opening the batting, both have trouble deciphering mistery spin. Jayawardene to open with Gayle.

Posted by mcsdl on (October 9, 2012, 20:21 GMT)

How come anyone not pick the highest wicket taker of the tournament Ajantha Mendis. & its a joke when you can pick 2 spinners & NO Mendis...! David Hoops "who ever he is" has picked Raza hassan "who ever he is" as a spinner over the best bowler of the tournament Ajantha Mendis... Are you avin a laugh mate...?

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 20:07 GMT)

when you pick an eleven it has got to be not eleven best players but the 11 who can fulfill their role gayle and watson to open (obvious)

3 and 4 Samuels and Kohli (could both slug as well as nudge ball around)

5 and 6 got to go with Mc cullum (also keeper) and giving nod to Pollard simply because he gives you the X factor like nobody else (with that lineup he could come in last 5 overs and get the run rate well over 12 per over)

Last will go with 5 bowlers because you really don't need a deep batting lineup with those players Steyn and Badree to open (they will force the pressure on you by keeping runs down and if you not careful steyn will clean up)

next 3 are Mendis, Narine and 2nd pacer will be Starc based on his performance.

If any bowlers fail (unlikely) you got Watson as 3rd pacer and Gayle, Samuels and Kohli to complement spin department. THis team would be as strong as any because they will be able to adapt and perform in any circumstances.

Posted by venkatr_11 on (October 9, 2012, 19:31 GMT)

The wicket keeper choices are baffling to say the least! AB De Villers not picked at all defies cricketing logic!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 19:09 GMT)

1.Watson 2. Gayle 3. Kohli 4.Sanga 5.Samuel 6.McCullum 7.Pollard 8. Narine 9. Ajmal 10. Steyn 11. Mallinga

Posted by ANMOL007 on (October 9, 2012, 19:04 GMT)

Apart from Andrew no one has even talked about mendis, who is by far the best bowler of tournament, atleast by double margin. Fortunately none of them is in indian selectors team

Posted by rayinto on (October 9, 2012, 18:42 GMT)

Andew Fernando got it right. Rampaul delivered a peach of a delivery to get Dilshan that made the world of difference to the final result. He also took 2 wickets in 3 balls to rock Australia's top order.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 18:04 GMT)

Will comment on the article not on the topic. I have my own pick but Sambit Bal's team is better than others. In the other hand David Hopps's team is like Zim. Thanks David to letting me know to avoid your articles from now.

Posted by hoodbu on (October 9, 2012, 17:49 GMT)

Too predictable having specialist pace bowlers on those wickets. Why not just pack the side with the mystery slow bowlers instead? 1. Gayle 2. Watson 3. Jayawardene (c) 4. Samuels 5. Kohli 6. Morgan 7. Dhoni (wk) 8. Narine 9. Mendis 10 Raza Hasan / Badree 11. Ajmal

Open the bowling with Watson and Raza/Badree before unleashing the 3 best T20I bowlers in the world - Mendis, Narine, and Ajmal

Posted by cricjaffa on (October 9, 2012, 17:23 GMT)

Chirs Gayle, Shane Watson, Virat Kohli, Marlon Samuels, Brendon Mccullum, Mahela (C), Dale Steyn, Sunil Narine, Ajantha Mendis, Mitchell Starc, Morne Morkel. Ross Taylor (12th man).

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 17:01 GMT)

these numbers are their in at positions............ 1.Chris Gayle 2.Shane Watson 3.Virat Kohli 4.Brendon Mc Cullum (wk) 5.Marlon Samuels 6.Mahela Jayawardene (c) 7.Shakib Al Hasan 8.Robin Peterson/Harbhajan Singh 9.Ajanta mendis/Nuwan Kulasekara 10.Sunil Narine 11.Pat cummins...............

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 16:52 GMT)

David Hoops are you serious? Raza Hasan over Narine and no Samuels?

Posted by beekie on (October 9, 2012, 16:39 GMT)

dont know what David Hoops is thinking! Eoin Morgan?? garbage! MSDhoni?? rubbish in this tornament and no Marlon Samuels and Sunil Narine?? thats a travesty!

Posted by Neutral_Guy on (October 9, 2012, 16:32 GMT)

By looking at the world cup performance, these are the best players for the world team!!!! I bet nobody will hate this team!! 1. CHRIS GAYLE 2. SHANE WATSON 3. MAHELA JAYAWARDENA 4. MARLON SAMUELS 5. BRENDON MCCULLUM 6. VIRAT KOHLI 7. NUWAN KULASEKARA 8. SUNIL NARINE 9. AJANTHA MENDIS 10. MITCHELL STARC 11. DALE STEYN Reserve (Luke Wright, Umar Akmal, Akila Dhananjaya, Saeed Ajmal)

Posted by whatawicket on (October 9, 2012, 15:25 GMT)

well if you want a guy whos going for 10 an over you could select cummings/christian.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 14:42 GMT)

Gayle, Watson, Mahela, Samuels, Kohli, M Hussey, B McCullum, Strac, Ajmal, Narine, Finn

Posted by reality_check on (October 9, 2012, 14:42 GMT)

Surprised to see all of them pick Gayle and Watson as openers and neither can play mystery spin better than the other.

Posted by Amitvats30 on (October 9, 2012, 14:40 GMT)

My WT20 XI - 1 Gayle, 2, Watson, 3 M Jayawardena, 4 Kohli, 5 Yuvraj, 6 B McCullum, 7 Samuels, 8 Starc, 9 Ajmal, 10 Narine, 11 A Mendis. Reserves - 12 R Taylor

Posted by RogerC on (October 9, 2012, 14:24 GMT)

Dhoni is better at no. 7 than McCullum or Sangakkara. If you play McCullum or Sanga, they should be given either opening slot or one-down. At no. 7, Dhoni is a better finisher than these two.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 14:06 GMT)

Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Virat Kholi, Marlon Samuels, AB Devilliers(capt.& wkt.), Mike Hussey, Angelo Mathews, Sunil Narine, Saeed Ajmal, Lasith Malinga, Umar Gul....this would be a more balanced team.

Posted by siddhartha87 on (October 9, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

I am confused whom to pick ,cummins or finn...but rest assured these gonna rule fast bowling next 5-6 yrs..if they stay fit!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 13:39 GMT)

Abhishek purohit: U kidding me? Seriously! No Virat Kohli ??? :o

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 13:07 GMT)

I picked my side based on a players performance relative to the other players in a specific match, and also take into account the actual ratings of the teams when that specific match take place. When you do that for this World Cup, there are a few surprises when your are not just looking at a sensational performance in one or two games. Here is the team: Watson, Jayawardene (yes, no Gayle), Samuels, De Villiers (yes, no Kohli), Duminy (yes, no MEK Hussey), Umar Akmal (yes, no McCullum or Dohni), Yuvraj Singh (for his bowling), Steyn (yes, no Starc), Mendis, Balaji, Dananjaya (yes, no Narine).

Posted by CricketMaan on (October 9, 2012, 12:46 GMT)

One match wonders - Imran Nazir, Johnson Charles, Nasir Jamshed, Rohit Sharma, George Bailey (c), Shakib-al-Hasan, C Keiswetter, Harbhajan, Pathan, Malinga, Finn/Board

Posted by jonesy2 on (October 9, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

some hilarious inclusions like oin morgan, ms dhoni and steven finn i actually think there is a place for sammy or bailey such was their leadership and captaincy

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (October 9, 2012, 12:32 GMT)

Very consistent picks there from everyone; can't really argue much with any except perhaps for David Hopp's choice of WK (Dhoni, seriously? I forgot he was even playing in the tournament, he had that quiet a tournament...). I think it's a shame McKay wasn't used by Australia, and Briggs could have been used better by England.

Posted by Bjan on (October 9, 2012, 12:05 GMT)

These kind of things are always a fun hypothetical read, and in this case particularly Kimber's team. Very entertaining.

Posted by siddhartha87 on (October 9, 2012, 12:04 GMT)

shane watson,gayle,kohli,samuels,hussey,a.b de villiars(wk),Sammy(c),Cummins,Steyn,Ajmal,Narine

Posted by rezee18 on (October 9, 2012, 11:28 GMT)

My pick: chris gayle, shane watson, brendon mc cullum, mahela jayawardene, marlon samuels, kieron pollard,dwayne bravo,ajantha mendis, mitchell starc, steve finn, sunil narine.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 11:24 GMT)

My WT20 XI - 1 Gayle, 2, Watson, 3 M Jayawardena, 4 Kohli, 5 Wright, 6 B McCullum, 7 Samuels, 8 Starc, 9 Ajmal, 10 Narine, 11 A Mendis.

Reserves - 12 M Hussey, 13 Steyn, 14 Rampaul, 15 R Taylor

Posted by Shazli on (October 9, 2012, 11:09 GMT)

Why picked Kholi,his selfish performance dose not help india to reached even in the semifinal....? Nasir Jamshad is good replacement..... Saeed Ajmal should be in any form of cricket

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 11:03 GMT)

i will pick the west indian team as world eleven, thats it

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Mahela Jayawardena(c), Marlon Samuels, Virat Kohli, Brendon McCullum(wk), Mitchell Starc, Dale Steyn, Ajantha Mendis, Sunil Narine Saeed Ajmal/Steven Finn (depending on the pitch)

Finn had a god tournament but is not consistent like steyn who is not often destroyed. McCullum is a great keeper and can finish well. Adding the extra bowler because with those batsmen at the top, is amazing enough.

Posted by fakhy on (October 9, 2012, 10:53 GMT)

cricinfo analysis says mendis was the best bowler statistically, and u cannot leave out narine.. thus hopps has got his bowling wrong..

Posted by Haleos on (October 9, 2012, 10:40 GMT)

I would pick Mendis ahead of Ajmal considering the performances of this cup.

Posted by sonu77 on (October 9, 2012, 10:33 GMT)

My world t20 Xi :: shane watson , chris gayle, mahela jayawardena (c), luke wright, virat kohli, marlon samuels,brendon mcCullum, mitchell starc,lasith malinga,sunil narine, saeed ajmal..I selected malinga without a fear bcoz i feel still he is the best bowler in t20 cricket & his 2 main rivals(kohli & Samuels) also in the same 11. so I'm pretty sure malinga will rock in this team:)

Posted by torsha on (October 9, 2012, 10:31 GMT)

Sanga and akmal shouldn't be there. Why in the world anyone would pick sanga?

Posted by essel1 on (October 9, 2012, 10:16 GMT)

It would be fun to mark the guys who were in all the times. If I had a pick I would pick 3 spinners and not 2, that way I will have Ajmal, Mendis and Narine. 5 Batsman are good enough and Watson, Gayle and Samuels are a good option if a main bowlers gets hit out of the park. Malinga had a bad final, but one swallow does not make a summer. Watson, Gayle, Samuels, Jaywerdena, Kohli, McCullum (wk), Starc, Malinga, Ajmal, Mendis and Narine.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 10:13 GMT)

I still Think all of you Missed Ajanta Mendis, Yes sunil Narayan and Ajmal is best spinner and can bowl with the new ball as well as death but Ajanta Mendis is the best bowler in 2012 T20 world. And you all pick team from Tournament Performance, I am a bit confuse ! can any one give the reason ?

Posted by guptahitesh4u on (October 9, 2012, 10:08 GMT)

Lollz @non-playing captains!! My team will be something like this... Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, marlon Samuels, Virat kohli, Mike hussey, B. Maccullum,Kieron Pollard, saeed Ajmal, Sunil Narine, Dale Steyn, Mitchell Starc

Posted by zwartedepiet on (October 9, 2012, 9:44 GMT)

This is supposed to be a team of the tournament, not a t20 world Xi. So how on earth David Hopp can consider Dhoni ahead of McCullum I dont know. In fact even if it was a world Xi one quick glance at their respective records would prove how far away he should be from being considered. Add his rubbish strikerate to his lazy keeping..... Hopps also went for Malinga over Steyn, both quality bowlers, but Steyn was outstanding this tournament. And no Narine?????? Wouldnt have made it past super 8s without him....

Posted by ----LoveTheWayLionsPlay--- on (October 9, 2012, 9:44 GMT)

My picks: Shane Watson, Chris Gayle, Mahela Jayawardena(c), Virat Kohli, Brendon McCullum(w/k), Marlon Samuels, Luke Wright, Mitchell Starc, Dale Steyn, Ajantha Mendis, Sunil Narine, Umar Akmal(12th man).

Tournament Results