ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 / News
Bangladesh v West Indies, Group B, World Cup 2011, Mirpur
WIPA concerned after stone-pelting incident
March 5, 2011
News : West Indies coach slams 'ridiculous' ICC statement
News : Security not an issue - Lorgat
Features : A collapse too far provokes the fans to fury
News : Bangladesh bus was also hit, says Ian Pont
News : West Indies team bus stoned in Dhaka
Matches: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka
Series/Tournaments: ICC Cricket World Cup
Other links: Diary: Apology can't mask the bigger picture
The West Indies Players' Association, the players' representative body in the Caribbean, has strongly condemned the stone-pelting of the West Indies team bus by angry fans following Bangladesh's nine-wicket defeat in Dhaka. It also expressed concern claiming that the West Indies team was not provided a security consultant whilst other participating teams had been by their respective boards.
"It is regrettable what transpired in Bangladesh, thankfully none of our players are hurt," The WIPA chairman Dinanath Ramnarine was quoted in a release. "The potential for terrible incidents like this one today is why we insist that the standards agreed for regional and international matches must be continuously assessed and must be met at all times as it relates to the security of our players and other related matters.
"We just cannot wait for something more serious to happen to pay attention to the issue of security, we need to be proactive".
The WIPA has requested the ICC and/or the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for a full report of the incident, and called for a revised security assessment to ensure such an incident didn't happen again.
The release added: "Given the serious ambush and assault by gunmen on the bus of the Sri Lankan players almost exactly two years ago to the date, WIPA is concerned that while other teams were provided with their personal security consultant by their respective boards, the West Indies team was not provided with the same level of support.
"WIPA is naturally concerned about the attack - more specifically about the ability of individuals to be able to attack the bus, without the protection layer promised in the Event security plans …"
Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, played down the incident, calling it "minor". The WICB, meanwhile, said the team had a meeting and left for Mohali for its next game as planned. "The WICB is satisfied with the security arrangements for the Cricket World Cup and the team management will continue to work closely with the event organisers and local officials to ensure that the safety and well being of the players remains paramount at all times."
The Bangladesh bowling coach, Ian Pont, told ESPNcricinfo that the Bangladesh team bus had also been stoned.
Fans in Dhaka apologised to both teams the next day.
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
- No stories yet
In every decade since the 1970s, teams have set new records for ODI totals, breaching the 300-run and then the 400-run mark.